Jul 15, 2016
Disclaimer/Requirements:

>> Only run on unlocked bootloader <<
>> TWRP 3.0 patched by st0rm77 as recovery <<
>> Scripts are released under GPlv2 license <<
>> Run at own risk <<

Watch the video

Hi,

I wrote a simple Ubuntu-Touch installer for the Meizu Pro 5. Its been tested on OTA-12 and OTA-13
but will probably work for any future version unless they change something.

Make sure you have the TWRP_3.0_m86_patched_st0rm77 recovery installed.
Only this version will backup the bootlogo and device tree.

Steps to install:

1. Make a backup of your device <-- ALWAYS
- select backup from TWRP
2. Install ubuntu-device-flash
# sudo apt-get install ubuntu-device-flash
# ubuntu-device-flash --download-only touch --device=turbo --channel=ubuntu-touch/stable/meizu-pd.en
(For Windows,Mac and lazy people: Ubuntu-Touch OTA-12 & Ubuntu-Touch OTA-13)
3. Open the folder ~/.cache/ubuntuimages and copy the following files onto your internal storage or sdcard:
- version-*.xz, custom-*.xz, device-*.xz and ubuntu-*.xz
- ubuntu-touch-installer*.zip (attached to this post)
4. Start your device in TWRP and wipe your device
- select wipe > advanced wipe
- select Dalvik/Art, Cache, System, Data and >>swipe to wipe<<
5. Install Ubuntu-Touch
- select install
- select ubuntu-touch-installer*.zip.

Wait until the installer finishes and reboot your device

Enjoy

Attachments

• ubuntu-touch-installer_v0.1b.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,734
Last edited:

PYCON

Nov 1, 2006
Really nice and wonderful job !!! :good:

Let me ask some details :

* there're some apps to try in ubuntu ?! 'cause if I remember well, one of the big obstacle of ubuntu phone was the lack of apps / programs to install in the system...

* once done this procedure, TWRP Recovery ( your version, in this case ), will remain ?! Or it's been overwritten / disappeared ?! :crying:

* In above case, imaging that TWRP is still present, what's the procedure to go back to an Android system ( Flyme e.g. or RR or whatever ) ?

:highfive:

st0rm77

Jul 15, 2016
Really nice and wonderful job !!! :good:

Let me ask some details :

* there're some apps to try in ubuntu ?! 'cause if I remember well, one of the big obstacle of ubuntu phone was the lack of apps / programs to install in the system...
Look in the Ubuntu store, lets say its somewhat limited.

* once done this procedure, TWRP Recovery ( your version, in this case ), will remain ?! Or it's been overwritten / disappeared ?! :crying:
TWRP remains, it does not touch recovery at all.

* In above case, imaging that TWRP is still present, what's the procedure to go back to an Android system ( Flyme e.g. or RR or whatever ) ?

:highfive:
Backup you current state (flyme/aicp/cm/rr).
Install Ubuntu
If you do not like it, reboot into TWRP and restore from backup.

Just follow the instructions in post 1.

PYCON

Nov 1, 2006
* Look in the Ubuntu store, lets say its somewhat limited.

* TWRP remains, it does not touch recovery at all.

* Backup you current state (flyme/aicp/cm/rr). Install Ubuntu. If you do not like it, reboot into TWRP and restore from backup. Just follow the instructions in post 1.

* Ok, nice... I'll try to look for some apps like them I'm using :)

* Nice ! It's the most important thing :silly:

* Ya, I've asked to u this 'cause for example, when I want to delete CM13 ( RR ) and return to Flyme, I cannot simply restore the nandroid of previous Flyme' based rom ;) I've to flash a Flyme rom FIRST and only then I'll be able to restore the nandroid ;)

st0rm77

Jul 15, 2016
* Ya, I've asked to u this 'cause for example, when I want to delete CM13 ( RR ) and return to Flyme, I cannot simply restore the nandroid of previous Flyme' based rom ;) I've to flash a Flyme rom FIRST and only then I'll be able to restore the nandroid ;)

...... i wonder if that could be the reason why i patched the recovery ?

I think it is ;)

And you know what the beauty is of this ?

You can now do it too :laugh:

(no more reflashing of flyme, just backup/restore in twrp)

Last edited:
Reactions: PYCON

PYCON

Nov 1, 2006

I think it is ;)

U'r a genius man, thank u very much ! :highfive:

Benni009

Nov 23, 2015
Yes, but not until you flash the Ubuntu recovery manually.
Extract /partitions/recovery from the device-*.xz
Flash this to recovery via fastboot.

Done. Thanks man. Nice work =) It's not simple to get from chinese-version with former owner logged in to pro5 ubuntu OTA 13 =) You made it easier.

Lets wait for OTA 14

st0rm77

Jul 15, 2016
Done. Thanks man. Nice work =) It's not simple to get from chinese-version with former owner logged in to pro5 ubuntu OTA 13 =) You made it easier.

Lets wait for OTA 14

So you cant get root ? I have something that might work, but its early stage and you might be the perfect person to test this.

PM me

Benni009

Nov 23, 2015
So you cant get root ? I have something that might work, but its early stage and you might be the perfect person to test this.

PM me

Sry for my late answer. Today I tried to upgrade to OTA 14 but the update was not downloaded nor installed. Do you have successfully updated to OTA 14?

BTW: Yes I think I get root with the flyme account

Edit: It seems the OTA-Update to OTA-14 works fine. It only takes a while :)

Last edited:

Mollic

May 22, 2016
i was trying to mess around with this along side with multirom from faust, after some problem i actually thought it was going to work, but after installing the zip i get an error " ! failed, verify error on bootlogo " and even tho the installation conclude it doesn't boot afterward, any clue on how to fix this?

Reactions: Alvaro1982

Jorge R

Dec 3, 2012
hello, I tried it in ubuntu touch of Canonical and it works, also with the ubuntu 15.04 but it does not work with the 16.04

TamashiiTora

Feb 18, 2014
Any thing new?

I know its been a while but I'm still using my Meizu Pro5. It was an Ubuntu edition. I've been using A custom rom for a couple of yrs now. I'm ready to go back to Ubuntu because there hasn't been any updates from the Rom creators for a couple yrs now and I want to keep the phone updated. so I followed this process but upon install phone says
" could not find 'META-INF/com/google/android/update binary' "
and after reboot wont move past white "Meizu Powered by ubuntu" screen...:confused:I did get it back to recovery. So If at all possible is there something that I can do? I'm trying to install the new Ubuntu touch on my phone but it wouldn't proceed with out an older version running on the phone...

Last edited:

stradfred

Sep 16, 2014
Xiaomi Mi 2
LG V30
I know its been a while but I'm still using my Meizu Pro5. It was an Ubuntu edition. I've been using A custom rom for a couple of yrs now. I'm ready to go back to Ubuntu because there hasn't been any updates from the Rom creators for a couple yrs now and I want to keep the phone updated. so I followed this process but upon install phone says
" could not find 'META-INF/com/google/android/update binary' "
and after reboot wont move past white "Meizu Powered by ubuntu" screen...:confused:I did get it back to recovery. So If at all possible is there something that I can do? I'm trying to install the new Ubuntu touch on my phone but it wouldn't proceed with out an older version running on the phone...
Get OTA update with this TWRP BACKUP.
My device updated with OTA-14 ;)

Attachments

• Inkedscreenshot20201106_100801168_LI.jpg
    Inkedscreenshot20201106_100801168_LI.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 49

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer/Requirements:

>> Only run on unlocked bootloader <<
    >> TWRP 3.0 patched by st0rm77 as recovery <<
    >> Scripts are released under GPlv2 license <<
    >> Run at own risk <<

Watch the video

Hi,

I wrote a simple Ubuntu-Touch installer for the Meizu Pro 5. Its been tested on OTA-12 and OTA-13
    but will probably work for any future version unless they change something.

Make sure you have the TWRP_3.0_m86_patched_st0rm77 recovery installed.
    Only this version will backup the bootlogo and device tree.

Steps to install:

1. Make a backup of your device <-- ALWAYS
    - select backup from TWRP
    2. Install ubuntu-device-flash
    # sudo apt-get install ubuntu-device-flash
    # ubuntu-device-flash --download-only touch --device=turbo --channel=ubuntu-touch/stable/meizu-pd.en
    (For Windows,Mac and lazy people: Ubuntu-Touch OTA-12 & Ubuntu-Touch OTA-13)
    3. Open the folder ~/.cache/ubuntuimages and copy the following files onto your internal storage or sdcard:
    - version-*.xz, custom-*.xz, device-*.xz and ubuntu-*.xz
    - ubuntu-touch-installer*.zip (attached to this post)
    4. Start your device in TWRP and wipe your device
    - select wipe > advanced wipe
    - select Dalvik/Art, Cache, System, Data and >>swipe to wipe<<
    5. Install Ubuntu-Touch
    - select install
    - select ubuntu-touch-installer*.zip.

Wait until the installer finishes and reboot your device

Enjoy

I think it is ;)

i was trying to mess around with this along side with multirom from faust, after some problem i actually thought it was going to work, but after installing the zip i get an error " ! failed, verify error on bootlogo " and even tho the installation conclude it doesn't boot afterward, any clue on how to fix this?