• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[TOOL] Viewpad 7 Backup, Root & Recovery

Search This thread

lakehousetech

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 19, 2009
Toronto
In order to install custom firmware on the Viewpad 7 and equivalent devices (Cherry Mobile Superion, Commtiva Linx N700, Olivepad VT-100, Spice MI700, and Camangi FM600) you must use an alternative recovery partition. There are several methods to accomplish this, but in this thread I will document what I use personally.

For starters ALWAYS create a backup of your original 'stock' firmware.

Rooting:
1. Download version 1.7 of Super One Click. Some users have reported issues with the latest version, but previous versions can be found in the thread.

2. Place your Android device into debugging mode, and connect to computer.

3. Right-click the Super One Click executable and select 'Run As Administrator'.

4. At program launch select 'rageagainstthecage' exploit method, then select 'Root'.

5. If there is no activity for more than 30 seconds and the terminal display is stuck at 'Running rageagainstthecage....' remove the USB plug momentarily and plug back in.

6. You should get the message “***IF IT KEEPS LOOPING, TRY DISABLING USB DEBUGGING NOW***” followed by an ADB reset, waiting for device, and finally a successful rooting message. (Apparently the looping issue is a known bug).

7. Once this process is complete your prompted to test the root condition. Follow the steps to verify.

Stock Backup:
1. Open up ADB shell within a terminal.

2. Get the list of partitions:

cat /proc/mtd

3. Pull each original partition from the device onto the SD card:

cat /dev/mtd/mtd3 > /sdcard/recovery.img (example...change for each partition)

Install Alternative Recovery Partition:

1. Copy the flash_image and clockwork recovery image to your SD Card (Find Attached Below).

2. Open a terminal (via computer or terminal emulator). Enter ADB shell.

3. Within ADB shell enter the following to change permissions for the flash_image:

chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

4. Replace the original stock recovery image by copying the clockwork image in it's place:

flash_image recovery /sdcard/cwrecovery.img

Installing Custom Firmware:
1. Copy the custom firmware of your choice to the SD card.

2. Power down your device.

3. Depress both volume keys simultaneously followed by holding in the power switch for a few seconds.

4. Upon power up you will see the birds logo and 'enter recovery' text in the top left corner of the screen.

5. Use the volume keys to step through the menu.

6. Select 'Backup & Restore' followed by 'Backup' to make a 'NANDROID' backup of the current firmware. The backed up ROM should be located in: /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/date&time/

7. Once the backup process completes you will be back at the main recovery menu.

8. Select 'apply sdcard: update.zip.

9. Once complete select 'reboot device'.

DISCLAIMER: I cannot be held liable for anything you do to your Viewpad 7 (or equivalent device). Make sure you are comfortable with recovery tools, such as ClockworkMod, before proceeding.

Attachments

• flash_image.zip
    12 KB · Views: 14,467
  • cwrecovery.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 23,851
Last edited:

Smilez

Nov 28, 2007
same. rooted. 2 spot jump on recovery menu. looks like pressing down moves one and then releasing the button goes another.

what custom rom works with the ViewPad7?

getting installation error Status (0) when I try tnt lite 4.4

lakehousetech

Oct 19, 2009
Toronto
same. rooted. 2 spot jump on recovery menu. looks like pressing down moves one and then releasing the button goes another.

TNT Lite is for the gTab.....NOT the Viewpad...therefore it will not work. There are only a couple modified ROMs available at this time for the Viewpad 7. I made a mod to stock ROM which can be found in this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1008673

I believe there is someone else working on a Gingerbread ROM (as am I), but I don't know any details of they're progress.

As for the recovery menu navigation problem (moves two spaces instead of one), I think it came that way from the manufacturer (FIH). Not sure how to remedy it at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack2583

Schilack

Nov 8, 2010
Viewpad HELP!

Did the volume down + power by mistake

Now I have a message:

Power on with pressing VOLUME_DOWN keys to leave Auto-FTM
and then

Wrong Project!!!!!
Please Select project name:

FA0
FA1...

FST

Cant reboot... cant do anything...

Cant adb in

HELP !

C

chicknlil

May want to update the OP to reflect that one should be downloading SuperOneClick version 1.7, not 1.8. The latter doesn't include the RageAgainstTheCage exploit method and will not root the device.

Took me a few tries to get my new Viewpad 7 rooted, but it finally is. :D

mk69

Sep 16, 2007
Google Nexus 5
Android Wear
second that...

May want to update the OP to reflect that one should be downloading SuperOneClick version 1.7, not 1.8. The latter doesn't include the RageAgainstTheCage exploit method and will not root the device.

I second that, took me a few tries also... Used SOC 1.7 and it was a bit confusing on my Win Xp (xp-home SP3) machine about VP7 drivers and its USB Mass storage state (should remove SD card in VP7 if you have it installed).

It finally worked when the " Synchronation Tool " was also installed and running off of the virtual "CD-Rom" that was installed when the VP7 is plugged in...

Anyways keep up the good work!!! Hope to see more updates/ROMs/mods/etc... for the VP7, I personally think its a solid device with the exception of the small internal storage it has...

lakehousetech

Oct 19, 2009
Toronto

Thanks for pointing that out. At the time of writing the latest was 1.7. I will make the correction.

lakehousetech

Oct 19, 2009
Toronto
I have all the IMGs on sd card, how do i restore them to get the viewpad back to full stock

Have you installed an alternative recovery (like clockwork)? If so you will need to copy the original recovery partition over, and then copy the remaining original partitions over. You can perform these tasks using ADB shell, and by using flash_image for the recovery partitions. You can find more information on this with a quick search.

Last edited:
C

chicknlil

So...this might be answered in another thread, but since there's no subforum for this device, it's hard to tell, but I digress...

How do I get around the "jump 2 spots" issue when in recovery? I've got clockwork in there just fine now, but I want to back up my system before I do any more serious "playing" and since I can't ever get it to land on "backup and recovery", I'm not sure how to proceed. Thoughts?

lakehousetech

Oct 19, 2009
Toronto
So...this might be answered in another thread, but since there's no subforum for this device, it's hard to tell, but I digress...

How do I get around the "jump 2 spots" issue when in recovery? I've got clockwork in there just fine now, but I want to back up my system before I do any more serious "playing" and since I can't ever get it to land on "backup and recovery", I'm not sure how to proceed. Thoughts?

This double-step issue when navigating the recovery menu is definitely an annoyance. To get around it and only move one selection just keep the applicable volume key pressed down, and then hit the power button to choose the selection.

C

chicknlil

Sweet...got the backup going. Now just need to figure out how to partition the SD card and get link2sd working. Appreciate your help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

kuntilanak

Aug 17, 2010
Can anyone please help me? /system/bin/flash_image does not exist on my viewpad 7...

I have the same problem as well. Can anyone shed some light here? Please? I'm using CSL Droidpad Mi700 (essentially the same as Viewpad 7). :(

edit: just got through it. thanks. Now I flashed with CWM v2.5.1.2, but I can't navigate using the volume keys. The power button only give me blank screen... Help...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In order to install custom firmware on the Viewpad 7 and equivalent devices (Cherry Mobile Superion, Commtiva Linx N700, Olivepad VT-100, Spice MI700, and Camangi FM600) you must use an alternative recovery partition. There are several methods to accomplish this, but in this thread I will document what I use personally.

For starters ALWAYS create a backup of your original 'stock' firmware.

Rooting:
    1. Download version 1.7 of Super One Click. Some users have reported issues with the latest version, but previous versions can be found in the thread.

2. Place your Android device into debugging mode, and connect to computer.

3. Right-click the Super One Click executable and select 'Run As Administrator'.

4. At program launch select 'rageagainstthecage' exploit method, then select 'Root'.

5. If there is no activity for more than 30 seconds and the terminal display is stuck at 'Running rageagainstthecage....' remove the USB plug momentarily and plug back in.

6. You should get the message “***IF IT KEEPS LOOPING, TRY DISABLING USB DEBUGGING NOW***” followed by an ADB reset, waiting for device, and finally a successful rooting message. (Apparently the looping issue is a known bug).

7. Once this process is complete your prompted to test the root condition. Follow the steps to verify.

Stock Backup:
    1. Open up ADB shell within a terminal.

2. Get the list of partitions:

cat /proc/mtd

3. Pull each original partition from the device onto the SD card:

cat /dev/mtd/mtd3 > /sdcard/recovery.img (example...change for each partition)

Install Alternative Recovery Partition:

1. Copy the flash_image and clockwork recovery image to your SD Card (Find Attached Below).

2. Open a terminal (via computer or terminal emulator). Enter ADB shell.

3. Within ADB shell enter the following to change permissions for the flash_image:

chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

4. Replace the original stock recovery image by copying the clockwork image in it's place:

flash_image recovery /sdcard/cwrecovery.img

Installing Custom Firmware:
    1. Copy the custom firmware of your choice to the SD card.

2. Power down your device.

3. Depress both volume keys simultaneously followed by holding in the power switch for a few seconds.

4. Upon power up you will see the birds logo and 'enter recovery' text in the top left corner of the screen.

5. Use the volume keys to step through the menu.

6. Select 'Backup & Restore' followed by 'Backup' to make a 'NANDROID' backup of the current firmware. The backed up ROM should be located in: /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/date&time/

7. Once the backup process completes you will be back at the main recovery menu.

8. Select 'apply sdcard: update.zip.

9. Once complete select 'reboot device'.

DISCLAIMER: I cannot be held liable for anything you do to your Viewpad 7 (or equivalent device). Make sure you are comfortable with recovery tools, such as ClockworkMod, before proceeding.
    I had some trouble rooting and installing clockwork mod also, I documented the way I managed everything here http://android.modaco.com/topic/343143-rooting-and-installing-clockworkmod/

Hope this helps
    And is there a definitive way of telling if you have ITE hardware? From what I've read in here, if it shipped with 2.2.3, it definitely has ITE, but there are some that shipped with 2.2.2 that has ITE. Mine has 2.2.1. Any other way to tell?

Based on what I read at various forums/sites since there's limited info out there & minimal development, odds are good that yours as shipped with 2.2.1 OS didn't have ITE touchscreen hardware.

Try this, hold down the Vol_Down key (the one on the left on the top of the device, facing forward in horizontal mode) while pressing the PWR key should put it in "Enter FTM Mode" and the screen should display something similar to the following:

SWVer=3.410 (or lower numerics)
    Model: FM6-0001
    HWVer: 107

To exit this screen, you will need to use a tiny pin or small paper clip to gently press the "Reset" button in the "bottom" furtherst away from the mini-USB port, it will restart the device.

These steps should work regardless of whether your VPAD7 has been rooted or stock (unrooted.) If your SWVer=3.31 or 3.16 (or anything lower than 3.41) - yours most likely didn't come with ITE, we've 2 VPAD7 both with 3.41 and came with Froyo 2.2.2 installed, and ITE enabled - meaning that several earlier ROMS including the hyper-linked Viewsonic OEM ROMs will NOT work (you can flash successfully and device will boot up, but you cannot activate nor get pass the Android icon) and device will stay unrooted.

Whatever you do, however, once you get it rooted & ClockworkMod Recovery (v2.5.1.2) flashed/installed, do a NAND backup first of your stock ROM/images to the mSD card first - before consider doing anything else like playing with custom ROMs. In my opinion, the factory/stock ROM is fairly good and it gave full access to the Google Market, l managed to easily install Titanium Backup & Astro File Manager, 2 basic tools that I use to streamline the device's "installed" base apps & uninstalled ones that I don't use/need without causing FC's, switched to AWD launcher (which locked up the home screen once I set it up so others playing with the pad won't accidental change/delete the setup or widgets - and also sideloaded the latest Google Market apk easily - really having a great time with it & met our needs (and it's a cool eReader too.)

As for jacsonmoore's question, my advice is DON'T even think about it or let alone try to do it - you really should take your questions over to the Viewsonic G-Tablets 10" sub-forum for help & advice - however, from what I know & understood, the 2 devices - while both running Froyo 2.2 OS in stock form- are very much different, flashing "codes" designed & intended for the 7" pads onto 10" pads could permanently "brick" your 10" tablet. Development work for the 10" G-Tabs (with a faster CPU) are further along & ahead, so you should find more choices and plenty of help over there.
    Installed, working ok. but the UP/DOWN button always jump 2 steps.

TNT Lite is for the gTab.....NOT the Viewpad...therefore it will not work. There are only a couple modified ROMs available at this time for the Viewpad 7. I made a mod to stock ROM which can be found in this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1008673

I believe there is someone else working on a Gingerbread ROM (as am I), but I don't know any details of they're progress.

As for the recovery menu navigation problem (moves two spaces instead of one), I think it came that way from the manufacturer (FIH). Not sure how to remedy it at this point.