[Tool] Yaffey - Utility for reading, editing and writing YAFFS2 images

Search This thread

necro_

May 9, 2012
London
I've created a GUI utility for reading, editing and creating YAFFS2 images that hopefully people will find useful. You can read Android system and data partitions and modify them how you like. Import and export files to and from the images. The tool is up on Google Code with source, written in Qt 4.8.1.

http://code.google.com/p/yaffey

Features
- Create new YAFFS2 image
- Open existing image
- Export files/directories from image
- Import files into image (permissions inherited from parent directory, dates created/modified/accessed set to current date & time)
- Delete files
- Edit filenames
- Edit permissions
- Edit user and group ids
- Edit symbolic link aliases
- ECC (Error Checking & Correction) support

New in v0.2
Added import dialog to choose to import file(s) or a directory
Added support to import multiple files
Added support to import 1 directory at a time (using dialog)
Added drag & drop importing (which supports multiple directories & files!)
Added support to delete more than one item at a time
Added summary dialog after saving an image
Added text below icons in toolbar at the request of varun.chitre15!

yaffey-v0.2-screenshot.png

I've been using it to modify the stock system image for my Xperia Play. You can easily add/remove APKs etc. It's a nice alternative to the unyaffs/mkyaffs command line tools.

It has limitations but am happy to extend the functionailty if it's found to be useful...

Last edited:

necro_

May 9, 2012
London
Hi varun, that's good news. Spread the word! I've been wanting to reply to some threads about YAFFS images and tools etc but can't post in most forums yet... Need to spend some time on here to get my post count up I guess.

I'm planning on adding more features to the app like adding su, superuser.apk & busybox with a few clicks for easy rooting and a GUI for fastboot for easy flashing to make the whole image editing and rooting process as easy as possible.

varun.chitre15

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2011
Sangli
Great!!!
Can u add a feature to make images directly from a flashable zip?
Thanks!!

Burned from my laser torch using pencil cells

Reactions: Madaz2

varun.chitre15

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2011
Sangli
Here is the suggestion list
1. Add support for adding multiple files at once while creating image file
2. Add support to add folders inside image fle
3. Add Drag and drop if possible
4. In the tool bar of the tool, can u add the text below the icons as it is somewhat difficult to identify which option does what and to see its function I had to move mouse over the buttons
5. Add support for EXT2, EXT4 images too :D
Your tool is very great

necro_

May 9, 2012
London
4. In the tool bar of the tool, can u add the text below the icons as it is somewhat difficult to identify which option does what and to see its function I had to move mouse over the buttons
Your tool is very great

Never thought about converting a zip to YAFFS2 image, that's a good idea.
On your suggestion list:
1, 2 & 3 are definites and will do those next.
4. I could add the text to the toolbar but will look ugly so not sure about that one yet. :p
5... maybe one day :D

dtrail1

Oct 7, 2011
Frankfurt
Really great work, mate!!! I hope we also can use this for our Razr. What about the signature? If you rebuild an image with your tool, will the signature persist or does this only work on phones with unlocked bootloader?

necro_

May 9, 2012
London
SWEET!!! That'll help me pick apart the ota for WP7. Thanks, you just made my day a lot easier.

I haven't tested it with any Windows based images. The dates created, accessed and modified are stored differently and the user and groups IDs aren't used. The app currently doesn't handle this. This won't affect exporting data from the image but if you're adding files then when the image is used the dates will be very wrong.

I'd be interested to know what you're experience of using it with Windows images is like!

necro_

May 9, 2012
London
Really great work, mate!!! I hope we also can use this for our Razr. What about the signature? If you rebuild an image with your tool, will the signature persist or does this only work on phones with unlocked bootloader?

I'm not sure what signature you're referring to. If it's similar to Sony Ericsson's .sin files that contain extra data at the start of the file before the YAFFS2 image then currently the tool doesn't handle this, only pure YAFFS2 images.

gpz1100

Nov 28, 2009
Very nice.

Having the ability to sort the displayed results would be useful.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've created a GUI utility for reading, editing and creating YAFFS2 images that hopefully people will find useful. You can read Android system and data partitions and modify them how you like. Import and export files to and from the images. The tool is up on Google Code with source, written in Qt 4.8.1.

http://code.google.com/p/yaffey

Features
    - Create new YAFFS2 image
    - Open existing image
    - Export files/directories from image
    - Import files into image (permissions inherited from parent directory, dates created/modified/accessed set to current date & time)
    - Delete files
    - Edit filenames
    - Edit permissions
    - Edit user and group ids
    - Edit symbolic link aliases
    - ECC (Error Checking & Correction) support

New in v0.2
    Added import dialog to choose to import file(s) or a directory
    Added support to import multiple files
    Added support to import 1 directory at a time (using dialog)
    Added drag & drop importing (which supports multiple directories & files!)
    Added support to delete more than one item at a time
    Added summary dialog after saving an image
    Added text below icons in toolbar at the request of varun.chitre15!

yaffey-v0.2-screenshot.png

I've been using it to modify the stock system image for my Xperia Play. You can easily add/remove APKs etc. It's a nice alternative to the unyaffs/mkyaffs command line tools.

It has limitations but am happy to extend the functionailty if it's found to be useful...
    Hi varun, that's good news. Spread the word! I've been wanting to reply to some threads about YAFFS images and tools etc but can't post in most forums yet... Need to spend some time on here to get my post count up I guess.

I'm planning on adding more features to the app like adding su, superuser.apk & busybox with a few clicks for easy rooting and a GUI for fastboot for easy flashing to make the whole image editing and rooting process as easy as possible.
    Wow!!
    Was looking for this since ages
    Thanks a lot
    This is indeed useful

Burned from my laser torch using pencil cells
    Your tool is very great

Never thought about converting a zip to YAFFS2 image, that's a good idea.
    On your suggestion list:
    1, 2 & 3 are definites and will do those next.
    4. I could add the text to the toolbar but will look ugly so not sure about that one yet. :p
    5... maybe one day :D
    Hey there i did try to open my system.img but i get a popop (Summary)
    with the message:
    Files 1
    Directories:0
    SymLinks:0
    Hardlinks:0
    Specials:0
    Unknowns:0
    Errors:10

Warning:
    Incomplete page found at end of file.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    So the program will only show the / in the window with permission info date info and the info about user and group.

I made the system.img using a dd command from a terminal on my tablet. (The tablet is rooted) Sow i have no idee if the dd command made a propper yaffs2 image. I have no idee what image type i have made..

There is no cwm recovery for my device jet to make a propper nandroid backup.

Could you tell me how i could make a propper system.img sow that i can open it with you're program? I could upload my system.img if you would like to check ik out.

dd misses the out of band (OOB) aka spare data so it doesn't produce a proper YAFFS2 image.

As I understand it, Nandroid backups are produced using the mkyaffsimage command line tool so you should be able to create your own image on your device with that.