• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[TOOLKIT] [WIN | LINUX | MAC] Moto G5 Plus Toolkit | Root | Unlock | Backup | Unbrick

Search This thread

dokwhoo

Sep 6, 2018
Yes, that will be really grateful.

---------- Post added at 06:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 AM ----------

After Rooting, my moto g5 plus Indian version got
ADB Unauthorized. Camera not working that only shows Camera Busy. I tried so many things. Fed up.

Finally going to flash with Stock ROM. Then I'm going to try it manually.

Can I flash Stock ROM with TWRP Recovery? Or Need to change Stock Recovery Too.?
i am facing the same problem what did you do to rectify it ?

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

Moto G5 Plus Toolkit

This is a desktop app that allows you to unlock the bootloader and root a Motorola G5 Plus smartphone with a few button clicks. It's built with Electron and hence will work on Windows, macOS and Linux operating systems.

The toolkit follows the unlocking and rooting procedure for Motorola G5 Plus mentioned here.

Features
* No need of installing ADB and Fastboot binaries
* Works on Windows , Linux, and macOS
* Get bootloader unlock data from device
* Send bootloader unique key to device for unlocking
* Flash TWRP Recovery
* Flash SuperSU
* Commonly used ADB and Fastboot commands
* Bundled drivers for Windows
* Create and Restore backups with button clicks
* Flash any TWRP compatible ZIP
* Flash stock firmware / un-brick

teEZPG1.png

About the Project

I bought this phone two weeks back and as a web developer, had this idea of combining JavaScript and device communication. The project is built on Electron. The basic UI is adapted from Electron API Demos.
The source is available on Github.

Porting it to another device

Porting the toolkit to another device is easy. Change a few strings, variables and necessary files like recovery image and you are done. After all every phone can communicate with your computer with ADB or Fastboot.

Credits

This project bundles the work of many other devs.

*@vache for potter TWRP, boot.img and WiFi patch.
*@chainfire for SuperSU.

Downloads
Moto.G5.Toolkit-win32-ia32.zip (92.4MB)
Moto.G5.Toolkit-darwin-x64.zip (98MB)
Moto.G5.Toolkit-linux-x64.zip (87.3MB)

Issues
1. TWRP backups saved to computer might fail to restore. The ones saved to phone work fine.
2. TWRP gets stuck on logo if booted instead of flashed.

If the toolkit helped you, don't forget to click the thanks button!
Buy me lager!

Thanks to all lagers received :)
- Curtis Bullock

XDA:DevDB Information
Moto G5 Plus Toolkit, Tool/Utility for the Moto G5 Plus

Contributors
drtechie
Source Code: https://github.com/drtechie/moto-g5p-toolkit

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.1.0
Stable Release Date: 2017-06-03

Created 2017-05-11
Last Updated 2017-06-03
Bro after flashing everything on the toolkit camera stopped working and it became ADB Unauthorized
this was my first time rooting any of my device what should i do?

partoned

Jun 29, 2017
update moto g5 to oreo?

noob here,
is there a way to upgrade to oreo using this tool from potter 25-137-93-10 android 7
and still keep root??
which oreo file to download?
where to put downloaded oreo .img inside of this tool to do upgrade?
would like to be able to upgrade to oreo with this easy tool !!

Dahenjo

Oct 18, 2014
CT
noob here,
is there a way to upgrade to oreo using this tool from potter 25-137-93-10 android 7
and still keep root??
which oreo file to download?
where to put downloaded oreo .img inside of this tool to do upgrade?
would like to be able to upgrade to oreo with this easy tool !!

This thread hasn't been updated since June 2017, so it's really out of date and I suggest not using it. Instead see this very current thread on installing Oreo using a TWRP flashable zip:
[Oreo][Stock][Rom] TWRP Flashable Stock Builds

Just be sure to follow the OP of that thread regarding using latest TWRP 3.2.3-1, backing up your EFS & persist partitions beforehand, etc. You'll lose root but afterwards can simply install Magisk 17.1 in TWRP to re-root.

Reactions: partoned

partoned

Jun 29, 2017
EFS & persist backup help

noob question again:
is there a thread that details the steps to backup efs and persist partitions???
my moto 5 plus with android 7 does not have EFS... it has modem1 and modem2 and persist, all in different directories /root and /sdcard and /internal memory???
I want to make sure I got the right files backed up before upgrade to oreo
super thanx !!

jefferzombie

Jun 10, 2013
noob question again:
is there a thread that details the steps to backup efs and persist partitions???
my moto 5 plus with android 7 does not have EFS... it has modem1 and modem2 and persist, all in different directories /root and /sdcard and /internal memory???
super thanx !!
I think you must have the lasted twrp, since that it will show the correct partition scheme. Try to update yours and confirm if it work here.

Wolfcity

Recognized Contributor
Apr 26, 2013
Germany
Moto G 2014
Moto G5 Plus
noob question again:
super thanx !!

I think you must have the lasted twrp, since that it will show the correct partition scheme. Try to update yours and confirm if it work here.

For sure it does. TWRP 3.2.3.1.

Sent from my Moto G5 Plus using XDA Labs

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-12-11-23-55-01.png
    Screenshot_2018-12-11-23-55-01.png
    105.1 KB · Views: 188

ryanjacobs2811

Jun 24, 2018
Aurora
Alrighty, I have bricked my device. I need help please. I can only get stock rom to work and even then, it reboots into the bootloader, forcing me to have to manually tell the phone to start into my rom. The issue that I am faceing is that I downloaded one of the nougat roms from the links provided in the tool, ( I used the Android file host because it doesn't give me antivirus errors and my antivirus doesn't try to block the page.) I have it downloaded and the tool starts getting to work when I select the folder. I keep getting these errors in the program that say command write failed (no error)

Update: I had to flash a second time and it started working I guess???

Last edited:

hdamian805

Nov 7, 2016
Moto g5 toolkit help

So in the app I have to do, get unlock data, unlock bootloader, flash twrp, then boot_image, then wlan_custom, and finally SuperSU and im done? Other places are using different instructions with different methods

FLASH+HACK

Apr 27, 2019
I tell you the problem is that the computer does not detect the phone is as if the data port on the phone does not work, if I open a CMD console and put the command: fastboot devices tells me that it is waiting for the device, but if I prendo the phone nothing and check the charging connector and it's fine, someone who has happened this and guide me. , I installed the drivers, tried other USB cable, and different PC ports

Gothorian

Dec 6, 2018
Hi all,

In case anybody is interested, I just used this on my (un-messed with) phone. Mine was a UK, 32/2 gig, dual sim moto 5-plus. Worked perfectly, flawlessly, fantastically! It just worked... Used on Ubuntu linux.

Thanks DrTechie, you're a star dev.

I had been worried about installing TRWP after reading other threads, but this works. And because it's a gui with scripts, there aren't any real instructions to follow - that you could get wrong. Very well designed.

For what it's worth, I chose not to install su. This means it's not truly rooted, and such things as Android Pay should still work. But, with the bootloader unlocked, and a good functioning custom recovery - I can flash any rom I need. And, I can flash su anytime.

:) Thanks!!!

Hey man, you use this app in Ubuntu, how u managed to open the x-executable? Mine don't want to open.

nabofox

May 8, 2021
Moto G5 Plus
Help needed! (newbie here)
I have a moto g5 plus (potter) and it is locked on this screen.
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-24 at 13.56.36.jpeg
I already tried to use the motorola recovery program but he doesn't recognize it because imei appears 0000000.
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-24 at 13.56.37.jpeg
I need help to bring it back to life (my computer is linux) and if possible to install the factory rom on it.
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-24 at 13.56.41.jpeg
I'm trying to use the toolkit, but it doesn't recognize that the phone is connected.
Captura de tela de 2021-06-24 09-57-19.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Moto G5 Plus Toolkit

This is a desktop app that allows you to unlock the bootloader and root a Motorola G5 Plus smartphone with a few button clicks. It's built with Electron and hence will work on Windows, macOS and Linux operating systems.

The toolkit follows the unlocking and rooting procedure for Motorola G5 Plus mentioned here.

Features
    * No need of installing ADB and Fastboot binaries
    * Works on Windows , Linux, and macOS
    * Get bootloader unlock data from device
    * Send bootloader unique key to device for unlocking
    * Flash TWRP Recovery
    * Flash SuperSU
    * Commonly used ADB and Fastboot commands
    * Bundled drivers for Windows
    * Create and Restore backups with button clicks
    * Flash any TWRP compatible ZIP
    * Flash stock firmware / un-brick

teEZPG1.png

About the Project

I bought this phone two weeks back and as a web developer, had this idea of combining JavaScript and device communication. The project is built on Electron. The basic UI is adapted from Electron API Demos.
    The source is available on Github.

Porting it to another device

Porting the toolkit to another device is easy. Change a few strings, variables and necessary files like recovery image and you are done. After all every phone can communicate with your computer with ADB or Fastboot.

Credits

This project bundles the work of many other devs.

*@vache for potter TWRP, boot.img and WiFi patch.
    *@chainfire for SuperSU.

Downloads
    Moto.G5.Toolkit-win32-ia32.zip (92.4MB)
    Moto.G5.Toolkit-darwin-x64.zip (98MB)
    Moto.G5.Toolkit-linux-x64.zip (87.3MB)

Issues
    1. TWRP backups saved to computer might fail to restore. The ones saved to phone work fine.
    2. TWRP gets stuck on logo if booted instead of flashed.

If the toolkit helped you, don't forget to click the thanks button!
    Buy me lager!

Thanks to all lagers received :)
    - Curtis Bullock

XDA:DevDB Information
    Moto G5 Plus Toolkit, Tool/Utility for the Moto G5 Plus

Contributors
    drtechie
    Source Code: https://github.com/drtechie/moto-g5p-toolkit

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.1.0
    Stable Release Date: 2017-06-03

Created 2017-05-11
    Last Updated 2017-06-03
    But how are the newbies supposed to brick their phones now?
    Day late, dollar short... Seriously, nice toolkit. Will there be an update soon now that @vache just released a new TWRP that supports sd mount?
    Once the bootloader is unlocked, there will be a warning when you boot the phone.
    The toolkit runs the fastboot unlock command twice (as required by Motorola) to unlock the bootloader.
    You just click a button instead of running the command. That's all.

I had received the same warning with and without the toolkit.
    You can go ahead and flash the rest.

TWRP Recovery is custom recovery.
    SuperSU is for root
    The other 2 files are flashed after unlocking the bootloader.
    wlan_custom is to fix the WiFi after flashing the boot image.

The toolkit just follows this method described here. Please refer to this thread for more info.

I used your toolkit to unlock bootloader. When it went into fastboot mode, and then got out, it said "Your device is unlocked, and now cannot be trusted. ID:bad key"

What is the ID:bad key thing?

How have I messed up? (or is it your code that has messed up?)

EDIT: Potter started up BTW. I just want to know if I have done something that will hurt me down the line.

Also, why do I have to flash TWRP recovery, boot_image, WLAN custom, and then SuperSU? Please explain.

Thank you.