[Tools][How-To][Guides] Backup & Restore EFS + Get out from Permanent Safe mode

Search This thread

sander2010

Jul 25, 2010
Zaandam
True, can't backup the corrupted IMEI, but try to restore. Create a folder on your internal SD named EFSBackups, and put inside it a copy from everything you got. Maybe you'll have luck restoring it using on of the three files (.tar / .tar.gz / .img).

Also, did you try this?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/help/simple-imei-repair-efs-folder-repair-t2404292

And this?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=31803198&postcount=3

I will give both options a go. Will report back asap,

---------- Post added 17th January 2015 at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was 16th January 2015 at 11:46 PM ----------

I will give both options a go. Will report back asap,

Restoring with the EFS backup app from Wanam doesnt work. When i want to restore I can only open with the folliwing apps: contacts, Gallery or MP3 Player ?!?

At this moment I am doing the recovery trough Kies. It connected and dowloaded the " upgrade" but it sticks for over 10 minutes on 65% on installing,
So I will keep it open and hope that it will install a complete new original rom from Samsung as I had to fill in my S/N.

Fishawy

Mar 26, 2010
Sydney
Restoring with the EFS backup app from Wanam doesnt work. When i want to restore I can only open with the folliwing apps: contacts, Gallery or MP3 Player ?!?

At this moment I am doing the recovery trough Kies. It connected and dowloaded the " upgrade" but it sticks for over 10 minutes on 65% on installing,
So I will keep it open and hope that it will install a complete new original rom from Samsung as I had to fill in my S/N.

Good luck. Hope this comes in handy.

sander2010

Jul 25, 2010
Zaandam
Nope,

Didn't work. Too bad. Kinda lost now.
I know I can do it with an IMEI repair service. But there is nothing here nearby.

Does anybody have experience with IMEI repair online?

ubabic

Mar 26, 2011
Belgrade
Nope,

Didn't work. Too bad. Kinda lost now.
I know I can do it with an IMEI repair service. But there is nothing here nearby.

Does anybody have experience with IMEI repair online?
You can try solution from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1918601

It worked for me...

You don't need to start reading from the beginning. Start from the end of thread and you will find the latest posts from users of N7100 and their solutions. If you are on Android 4.3 then you will need both patched modem and init.d script (patched by zuluman), but if you are on 4.4.2 you will need just patched modem to flash. Read the thread first carefully and you will find all the answers...Cheers mate!

Sent from my GT-N7100

krunalparmar

Sep 15, 2016
GT N7100 not registered on network

I have flashed so many roms and last one is frmo sammobile 4.4 n7100 rom, but my device turned in factory mode and not registered no network. i got null imei..0049*****0000, i dont have any EFS backup. before root i took TWRP backup. but when ever i tried to restore, efs not mount and efs folder error coming(i formated data and efs also)

please help, for fixing this problem. from start...please bro.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note to forum managers: Please make it a Sticky Thread, It should help to all users and there is no use for this tutorial if it is in page 3

Hello XDA Users,

I think some people here know who I am, so I will jump on the "Introduction of myself" for now.

Recently, I have faced many questions & problem of fake IMEI, of damaged EFS folder. So I made a little experiment on my device(GN2).

First, I backuped my EFS folder in 2 types - one is .img and the second is tar.gz.

Then, I deleted my EFS folder using ES Root Explorer. Which made my device to be on somethine called "Permanent Safe Mode" - You can not get out untill you fix your EFS folder and change some values.
    This is permanent safe mode:

43gy.png

After I did my "research" I have managed to make several methods to backup & restore EFS, which should make your life easier and better.

First of all, Disclaimer:

I'm not responsible for any damage caused by using these methods, all methods tested by me, so it should work on your device too.
    This is for N7100 Only!!!!!!!

Let's continue.

What you must have:

• Latest base with latest modem and latest kernel - very important since in the latest versions samsung prevented the option to install old modems/kernels, so if you install old kernell/modem it can show you wrong IMEI.
    • Rooted device with the latest Super User
    • Latest busybox
    • CWM / PhilZ Recovery
    • Terminal Emulator
    • Root explorer - Can be ES File Explorer with working root option or just a root explorer from the market
    • A working EFS backup(In order to restore it...)
    • Time & Patient.

Backup methods

Method 1 - .img backup

First method, is an automatic backup/restore software.
    Special thanks to A.S._id for his software.
    Original thread:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1922473

The software:
    N7100 EFS Backup / Restore

Help to preserve and restore the image of EFS partition:
    * Need Root

For Windows

* Extract from the archive, connect the device to the USB debugging mode (System settings/Developer options/USB debugging) and run selected .bat (depending on the backup or restore)
    * To retain the image of efs.img must be in a folder with Restore_EFS.bat

attachment.php
    attachment.php

For Linux
    For MACOS

* Extract from the archive, connect the device to the USB debugging mode (System settings/Developer options/USB debugging) and run RUN_ME into terminal (double click), select option...

What is EFS, Why it is necessary to backup

Method 2 - .img backup

Method number 2 will create you efs.img backup on your internal sd. After that you can copy it to your computer.

What you have to do is this:
    1. Open terminal emulator
    2. Write the following:
      Code:
      su
      Then click enter. It will ask for super user permission, give it permissions.
    3. Then write:
      Code:
      dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 of=/sdcard/efs.img bs=4096
      Then click enter.
    4. When it finishes, check if you have efs.img on your phone memory. If so, copy it to comupter, if not, you did something wrong try again.

Method 3 - .tar.gz backup

This method will compress your efs folder into tar.gz file. This method is the same as choosing backup EFS folder in my rom(PhoeniX ROM)/Omega/Wanam/etc.

A tar.gz backup should look like this(On some devices there might be more files, but this picture was taken from Note II N7100 backup and it fully works):
    q2zs.png

1. Download this and copy it to your device:
      http://d-h.st/N6l
    2. Reboot into recovery
    3. Flash the zip
    4. Reboot your device.
    5. Connect your device to your pc, and copy the backup in "efs_backup" folder.

Restore methods

Now the fun begins :D

You will have to restore your backup when you have one or more of the folowing problem:
    • Fake IMEI (usually 004999010640000) or "null" IMEI
    • Blinking SIM card icon on the top tray… ETC
    • Unable to unlock your SIM card using your PIN
    • Fake Serial Number (usually 0000000) or "null" Serial
    • Unable to register to the network (usually comes with Fake IMEI & Fake Serial so check them.)

Attention please,
    If you are 100% that your EFS folder is damaged and you have a working EFS backup with the right IMEI number, my recommendation is this:

1. With root explorer, go to your efs folder and delete all files inside
    2. Long press on power button will turn off your device.
    3. Then turn on the device, you will be in "Permanent Safe Mode".
    4. Continue to one of the following methods.

Method 1 - restore .img backup

First method, is an automatic backup/restore software.
    Special thanks to A.S._id for his software.
    Original thread:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1922473

The software:
    N7100 EFS Backup / Restore

Help to preserve and restore the image of EFS partition:
    * Need Root

For Windows

* Extract from the archive, connect the device to the USB debugging mode (System settings/Developer options/USB debugging) and run selected .bat (depending on the backup or restore)
    * To retain the image of efs.img must be in a folder with Restore_EFS.bat

attachment.php
    attachment.php

For Linux
    For MACOS

* Extract from the archive, connect the device to the USB debugging mode (System settings/Developer options/USB debugging) and run RUN_ME into terminal (double click), select option...

What is EFS, Why it is necessary to backup

Method 2 - Restore .img backup

Method number 2 will restore your efs.img backup from your internal sd.

1. Put your efs.img on your phone memory(not external sd card!) in the main memory, not inside folder.
    2. Open terminal emulator
    3. Write the following:
      Code:
      su
    4. Then write:
      Code:
      dd if=/sdcard/efs.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=4096
      Then click enter.
    5. Now, reboot your device. If you still don't have IMEI/You are still in Safe Mod, reboot again.
      In the second reboot, the bootanimation might stuck and the device will reboot automatically again. Don't worry, it is ok because it installs your efs.img.

Method 3 - restore .tar.gz backup

This method will restore .tar.gz backup.
    A tar.gz backup should look like this(On some devices there might be more files, but this picture was taken from Note II N7100 backup and it fully works):
    q2zs.png

If you have like this, continue to the guide:
    1. Create on your Phone Memory(Not Extrenal sd!!) a folder called "efsbackup"(without quotes)
    2. Copy all files & folders from the EFS backup into "efsbackup" folder(The files are like in the picture)
    3. Download this script & copy it to your device:
      http://d-h.st/quC
    4. Reboot into recovery
    5. Go to mount section and click on(Very important!):
      Mount /efs
    6. Now install the script you have downloaded.
    7. After it finishes, reboot.
    8. Now everything should be fixed, of course if your backup is 100% ok.
      If it doesn't work, try method 4.

Method 4 - restore .tar.gz backup

This method will restore .tar.gz backup.
    A tar.gz backup should look like this(On some devices there might be more files, but this picture was taked from Note II N7100 backup and it fully works):
    q2zs.png

If you have like this, continue to the guide:
    1. Create on your Phone Memory(Not Extrenal sd!!) a folder called "efsbackup"(without quotes)
    2. Copy all files & folders from the EFS backup into "efsbackup" folder(The files are like in the picture)
    3. Using root explorer, go to "efsbackup folder, select all files & folders there, and click Copy.
    4. Still in root explorer, go to "efs" folder of your device(It is located where all main folders like data, system, etc.).
    5. In "efs" folder, click paste. It will ask you if you want to replace your files, select replace to all files(So all your files from "efsbackup" folder will be in "efs" folder)
    6. Now open terminal emulator
    7. Write the following:
      Code:
      su
    8. Now write:
      Code:
      busybox chown 1001:1001 /efs/nv_data.bin
      Then click enter.
    9. Now write:
      Code:
      busybox chmod 06755 /efs/nv_data.bin
      Then click enter.
    10. Reboot device. Now everything should work.

Exit "Permanent Safe Mode"

When you in "Permanent Safe Mode" situation, it means that your EFS folder is broken.
    If you succeeded in restoring your IMEI and you still stuck in this Safe Mode, use this guide:

Method 1

1. Open root explorer.
    2. Navigate to /efs/FactoryApp/
    3. Open "factorymode" file as Text and edit it:
      Change this:
      Code:
      OFF

To:
      Code:
      ON
    4. Open "keystr" file as Text and edit it:
      Change this:
      Code:
      OFF

To:
      Code:
      ON
    5. Reboot device.

Method 2

1. Open Terminal emulator
    2. Write the following:
      Code:
      su
    3. Write the following & click enter:
      Code:
      rm /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
    4. Write the following & click enter:
      Code:
      rm /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
    5. Write the following & click enter:
      Code:
      echo -n ON >> /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
    6. Write the following & click enter:
      Code:
      echo -n ON >> /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
    7. Write the following & click enter:
      Code:
      chown 1000.1000 /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
    8. Write the following & click enter:
      Code:
      chown 1000.1000 /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
    9. Write the following & click enter:
      Code:
      chmod 0744 /efs/FactoryApp/keystr
    10. Write the following & click enter:
      Code:
      chmod 0744 /efs/FactoryApp/factorymode
    11. Reboot your device

Important Note by dr.ketan + one more way to backup/restore using aroma installer:

I request to add one more information on your guide, as better to have all EFS recovering tool at one place rather starting different topic.

e:failed to mount /efs(invalid argument) error with bootloop

This condition usually happens with using unsupported tool (usually from play store).

To recover this, needs to use adb shell

Code:
    adb shell
     mke2fs / dev/block/mmcblk0p3
     mount-w-t ext4 / dev/block/mmcblk0p3 / efs
    PS : It needs CWM and busybox installed.

Also i have made Aroma installer with detailed illustration to bakeup/restore EFS

Regards

This is all I can do for you friends, Worked alot on these methods to give you the best information.
    Each method was tested by me and fully works.

If this helped you please press the "Thanks" button.
    If you like & appreciate my work please consider a donation!

Credits:
    • shnizlon
    • Candanga
    • A.S._id
    • dhiru1602
    • UtkarshGupta
    • dr.ketan
    • P.M If you think that I forgot you

XDA:DevDB Information
    Backup & Restore EFS + Get out from Permanent Safe mode- N7100, a Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy Note II

Contributors
    tamirda

Version Information

Created 2013-09-05
    Last Updated 2013-09-10
    You are amazing!!!
    Keep on with the awesome job!
    @tamirda
    I request to add one more information on your guide, as better to have all EFS recovering tool at one place rather starting different topic.

e:failed to mount /efs(invalid argument) error with bootloop

This condition usually happens with using unsupported tool (usually from play store).

To recover this, needs to use adb shell

Code:
    adb shell
     mke2fs / dev/block/mmcblk0p3
     mount-w-t ext4 / dev/block/mmcblk0p3 / efs
    PS : It needs CWM and busybox installed.

Also i have made Aroma installer with detailed illustration to bakeup/restore EFS

Regards
    You are amazing!!!
    Keep on with the awesome job!

Thank you friend

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app
    Is there a way to get my IMEI back without having a backup of the EFS folder?
    I had a bad flash and it changed my IMEI to 0049. I was glad I made a copy of the EFS folder and did a nand back up.
    Now my problem is that somehow my nand back up is corrupted and my copy of my EFS folder doesnt work.

I have tried almost everything to get my IMEI back. I have read so many forums and watched Youtube instruction clips for months... but I still have a Note 2 who can not connect to the network.

I really need some answers about this problem. The Note 2 works fine. But I cant use it :crying:

Hope to hear from you guys.

I'm sorry for your troubles. I know how this thing sucks, been there before. Since you have got nothing to lose already, I would suggest two things:

1. Take your copy of the EFS folder (The whole folder), and override the current EFS folder then reboot. It helped me once.
    2. Try the below EFS app by Wanam. It does backup/restore using 3 different ways. Maybe one of them will work.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ma.wanam.efs

That's what I know. Hope you get this problem sorted out. Good luck.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone