• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Touch HD, first impressions

Search This thread

johnkorver

Dec 16, 2004
So indeed the UK model is available in the Netherlands, just got mine.

My first impressions:

- The device actually feels smaller than I thought, feels only slightly heavier than my Diamond and much lighter than my Pro.
- The screen sensitivity for my finger is great, however it seems that I have to press harder with the stylus than on my Diamond.
- I cannot prevent touchflo 3D from installing, softresetting before customisation brings the device back in setup mode.
- The screen and the size of the buttons are great for finger usage.
- The device is faster than my Diamond and Pro, Touchflo 3D is really improved in terms of speed, however there is a lag when using the file explorer I didn't had on my previous devices.
- I really like the small led in the power button, indicating charching, bluetooth, etc. No more irritating charching lights from the action button when the device is next to my bed.
- All software I installed on my Diamond works on my HD (Spb products, Mobipocket, Pocketbreeze.)
- Did not test the GPS
- There is a soft bag for protection of the HD. The good is that it doesn't make the device much thicker. The bad is that it will not provide much protection (but it is included!!)
- The device comes with a 8GB microSD card (Sandisk.)
- The HD can be used in the HTC cradle, but without the special inlays, so a bit risky for the connector.
- No video-out (not in settings.)
- The full QWERTY on screen keyboard is better than on my Diamond, but still small and not as responsive to touch as I would want (I am used to my Iphone ;-))

Overall I think it is one of the best devices I have had for the last two years (a bit early to tell, but... first impression)

tboy2000

Oct 21, 2006
London
Huawei Mate 40 Pro
Can you tell us how vga apps work? Do they get stretched to fill the screen or are there black bars on top and bottom. I am talking about apps with no WVGA support.

Thanks!

SiliconS

Jun 13, 2004
Great post! I'm really looking forward to finding out how people get along with the HD. It's number one on my list of devices to replace my Touch.

Domitri

Jun 22, 2007
please oh please try to play a divx movie thats perhaps the only thing that will make me sell my diamond i was used to see movies on my x7500 diamond sucks on plaaying video

johnkorver

Dec 16, 2004
Can you tell us how vga apps work? Do they get stretched to fill the screen or are there black bars on top and bottom. I am talking about apps with no WVGA support.

Thanks!

All apps I tried so far just scale to fill the screen.
It looks great!

The apps even look better than on my X7500!

After tweaking some performance settings and after installing 10 apps, this baby is fast!!!
Everything is almost instantanously, never seen this on a HTC device before (and I have had a lot ;-))

exe

Mar 16, 2007
Any comments about audio quality through the 3.5mm plug. Also does the cradle have audio out (through usb of the device)?

johnkorver

Dec 16, 2004
if you tell me it plays divx flawlessly ill put my diamond for sale right now hehehe

Sell your Diamond ;-)))

Trying to upload a video.... not that easy :-((

Update: uploading zip files do not work from my computer, so you would have to believe me on my word....

Last edited:

johnkorver

Dec 16, 2004
Any comments about audio quality through the 3.5mm plug. Also does the cradle have audio out (through usb of the device)?

The audio quality through the headset is great, its roughly the same as the Diamond, good bass, etc.

No sound through USB though, so no music through the cradle.

Looks great in the cradle though ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 2,891

johnkorver

Dec 16, 2004
OK, good news,
TomTom navigator 7 is working perfectly.

Better, no GPS lag (inside, because it is raining terribly here).

And look at Mobile Shell

This really is HTC's best device in years!!!

Attachments

• Screen02.jpg
    Screen02.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 2,179
  • Screen04.jpg
    Screen04.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,978

exe

Mar 16, 2007
How does the sound compare with your iphone?

That cradle is huge, does it come with the package?

You have really kept up with all the PPC since the black and white days! Do you keep all of them or have you sold and upgraded throught he decade?

johnkorver

Dec 16, 2004
How does the sound compare with your iphone?

That cradle is huge, does it come with the package?

You have really kept up with all the PPC since the black and white days! Do you keep all of them or have you sold and upgraded throught he decade?

To be honest, the sound of both the Diamond and HD is much better than the sound of my Iphone, the sound is....more alive, more bass, etc.

I really like my Iphone and used it together with my Diamond for more than 3 months, and last month I mentioned that I was only using my Iphone. It is so much easier to use and the screen is really great.

But beside the UI, I think the HD beats the Iphone in a lot of aspects.

You have to buy the cradle seperately, it is a bit huge, yes.

I think I am an addict..... I kept some, not all, I am not that rich ;-))

fdevogel

Sep 18, 2006
tomtom

I also received my touch hd today! a great device, the big screen is really lovely.
I can't seem to make tomtom 7 working though. Wich cab did you use? I get the error message that it is not compatible with my device.
Thanks

Nara-e-Mastana

Mar 28, 2007
Karachi
Johnkorver,
It is indeed a good news that there is no lag in GPS :)

HTC Touch Diamond + HTC X7500 + Iphone 16 GB White + HTC Touch HD
Your collection is awesome :)

johnkorver

Dec 16, 2004
It was to good to be true...

I found a bug; the rollout menu's (don't know how to call it) do not work on non standard programs.
I had this bug also on my Samsung i780 with a 320x320 pixel screen.

You can select the different items using the keyboard though.

Look at the screenshot to see what I mean; I selected the main window menu.

Attachments

• Screen01.jpg
    Screen01.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,689

johnkorver

Dec 16, 2004
I also received my touch hd today! a great device, the big screen is really lovely.
I can't seem to make tomtom 7 working though. Wich cab did you use? I get the error message that it is not compatible with my device.
Thanks

There is a special version, taken from the Diamond.

Use google and you willl find it ;-))

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    dead pixel policy

Anyone knows anyting about the HTC's DEAD PIXEL POLICY? It's rarther dissapointing that there are several HD devices out with dead pixels...

I have written a request to HTC and still waiting for the reply...