• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Touch screen issue test / reproduction (video)

Search This thread

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
Yes, if you don't experience this, you unit is issue-free. I have also asked others to test, they have no issue at all.
This is why I think that *might* be a hardware/production issue.

Yes, that's what it would seem to suggest - and it's discouraging, I was really hoping this was a software issue. Would the 120 Hz refresh be a factor in this? That is, do you get the same result at 60 Hz?

carlosmeldano

Jul 13, 2012
Yes, that's what it would seem to suggest - and it's discouraging, I was really hoping this was a software issue. Would the 120 Hz refresh be a factor in this? That is, do you get the same result at 60 Hz?

Nothing. Either under charging or not, either 60Hz or 120Hz, no matter if Touch Sensitivity is set to low or high, it happens.
But as it doesn't happen for everyone with the same software, it tends to be a hardware issue or a production defect.

carlosmeldano

Jul 13, 2012
Tested mine with no issues but I had a bit of red tint on the screen as I have posted in another thread.

Thanks for the feedback. It seems not all users are having this issue. If you cannot reproduce the issue following the video instructions, then you are touch error-free. But then, it shows that it is not a general issue, but some manufacturing defect. For the red tint, I have seen your other post, I also have a barely visible greenish one, around where the camera is, and around the bottom 1/3 mark. But as it was stated, it is somewhat "normal".

spacemanvt

Dec 15, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. It seems not all users are having this issue. If you cannot reproduce the issue following the video instructions, then you are touch error-free. But then, it shows that it is not a general issue, but some manufacturing defect. For the red tint, I have seen your other post, I also have a barely visible greenish one, around where the camera is, and around the bottom 1/3 mark. But as it was stated, it is somewhat "normal".

Do you notice a red tint when looking off angle at the screen?
I notice it somewhat when looking directly at the screen but very visible off screen, when using a white screen though.

carlosmeldano

Jul 13, 2012
I just checked mine and I have the same issue, would samsung rma for this?

Good question. I spoke with Samsung Support and they wanted me to visit the Service Center. I told them that I will not spend that much time on it, this phone is too expensive for having this kind of support. I will just return it and ask for a refund, then wait 1-2 months if the problem is solved.

I was just thinking yesterday...

This phone has Gorilla Glass 3 on the display, which is a way different structure than current GG6 (or GG4). GG3 is much thicker and more acts like a glass (breaks easier). Since GG4, newer Gorilla Glasses are more flexible, thinner, and more durable, too.

What if Samsung has just put a thick glass on top of a modern digitizer (touch panel) which was designed for a different structure and much thinner glass layer, and this causes the touch problems?

carlosmeldano

Jul 13, 2012
Do you notice a red tint when looking off angle at the screen?
I notice it somewhat when looking directly at the screen but very visible off screen, when using a white screen though.

I notice it under normal circumstances like browsing, while straight looking at it, when the page background is like pale yellow/orange. It is only a bit visible, but when you read text and scroll, it is disturbing that the greenish tint remains on the screen. But honestly, this is not that bad. On a white background, I don't even notice it.
When I look from a bottom angle and moving the phone's angle, the tint bars move as well.

spacemanvt

Dec 15, 2012
Good question. I spoke with Samsung Support and they wanted me to visit the Service Center. I told them that I will not spend that much time on it, this phone is too expensive for having this kind of support. I will just return it and ask for a refund, then wait 1-2 months if the problem is solved.

This phone has Gorilla Glass 3 on the display, which is a way different structure than current GG6 (or GG4). GG3 is much thicker and more acts like a glass (breaks easier). Since GG4, newer Gorilla Glasses are more flexible, thinner, and more durable, too.

What if Samsung has just put a thick glass on top of a modern digitizer (touch panel) which was designed for a different structure and much thinner glass layer, and this causes the touch problems?

where are you located? I was thinking about doing this too for my red tint issue. but sounds like a lot of trouble. I would agree that you definitely need a new phone

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

I notice it under normal circumstances like browsing, while straight looking at it, when the page background is like pale yellow/orange. It is only a bit visible, but when you read text and scroll, it is disturbing that the greenish tint remains on the screen. But honestly, this is not that bad. On a white background, I don't even notice it.
When I look from a bottom angle and moving the phone's angle, the tint bars move as well.

You mean are referring to the green tint correct? Are you saying that you have no reddish/pink tint at all on your phone?
I notice it very clearly when looking at it at angle or even normal position. And I can see it move when I move the phone to different positions.

the XDA review has the same issue actually (nothing on the touchscreen): https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-galaxy-s20-fe-review/

"The viewing angles, though, are disappointing because the display still features visible angular color shifting to blue as well as a rainbow out interference effect at extreme angles. Newer Samsung OLED panels have eliminated the rainbow out interference effect, and also reduced off-axis color shifting by a significant amount. The Galaxy S20+’s viewing angles, for example, are much better because the color shifting is much lower. Strangely, even the cheaper Galaxy M51 (review) doesn’t feature the interference effect issue (that is likely caused by the polarizer)."

carlosmeldano

Jul 13, 2012
where are you located? I was thinking about doing this too for my red tint issue. but sounds like a lot of trouble. I would agree that you definitely need a new phone

EU. I bought the phone in the official German Samsung webshop. If I would be out of the return period, I would of course take it to the Service Center even with the red tint, but this way, I will just return it.

You mean are referring to the green tint correct? Are you saying that you have no reddish/pink tint at all on your phone?

True, I have no reddish tint, I have some greenish one :) When looking straight at the phone, it is around the opposite side of the camera, and about a thumb tall. But really, not that visible, I just see it because I know it is there :)

I read the quoted article. This can also easily happen because of Gorilla Glass 3, maybe it has different inner reflection that causes these bands.

Last edited:

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring

That sounds reasonable...however, what about all the phones using GG5, 6, or above that have a tempered glass screen protector on them, which would certainly make the glass atop the digitizer much thicker, and that do NOT have any touch issues? It seems to me that the thickness of the glass...up to a reasonable measure that I do not know what it may be...is not the issue here because my S20 FE does not have the touch issues. But mine does always turn on in my pocket. So it seems as if the proximity sensor is faulty. I wonder if this "bug" is somehow related to the touch issues. Though they appear to be different problems...they are related to how the screen works. Clearly something is wrong and I am not sure that any of it can be fixed with software. SMH

carlosmeldano

Jul 13, 2012
That sounds reasonable...however, what about all the phones using GG5, 6, or above that have a tempered glass screen protector on them, which would certainly make the glass atop the digitizer much thicker, and that do NOT have any touch issues? It seems to me that the thickness of the glass...up to a reasonable measure that I do not know what it may be...is not the issue here because my S20 FE does not have the touch issues. But mine does always turn on in my pocket. So it seems as if the proximity sensor is faulty. I wonder if this "bug" is somehow related to the touch issues. Though they appear to be different problems...they are related to how the screen works. Clearly something is wrong and I am not sure that any of it can be fixed with software. SMH

You are right, I also thought of it, but not only the thickness, but also the material structure can cause problems like transferring more static electricity to the digitizer that cause ghost touches. And the glass screen protector is on top of the screen which is far enough in distance from the digitizer. I can also imagine that combining this digitizer with GG3 would require less manufacturing tolerance than they used, and that causes just too much defective units. Just guessing...

But as you also stated, problems are mostly with the screen and touch panel. Ghost touches, incorrect finger recognition causing jerks, pocket wakeup, reddish/greenish tint on the screen. And +1: not all users have this problem.

If this would be a software-related issue, all models would be affected more or less. If some units are fine, some are wrong, with the exact same software, then it should be a hardware-related problem. Question: do they used different brand of digitizers for different units, or there is just a huge ratio of defective units coming out of the factory because they had to put as many units on sale as they could because Pixel 5 and iPhone 12 has arrived and they wanted to catch a lot of customers? Just guessing, again... :D

Last edited:

spacemanvt

Dec 15, 2012
True, I have no reddish tint, I have some greenish one :) When looking straight at the phone, it is around the opposite side of the camera, and about a thumb tall. But really, not that visible, I just see it because I know it is there :)
I read the quoted article. This can also easily happen because of Gorilla Glass 3, maybe it has different inner reflection that causes these bands.

So strange, every one of the phones I looked at in the store has these bands. Surprised yours does not.

carlosmeldano

Jul 13, 2012
So strange, every one of the phones I looked at in the store has these bands. Surprised yours does not.

If watching from bottom angle, I see the bands, but in straight view, I only see some greenish tint. It is not very disturbing for me. I mean, I have a LED TV, which has some of these typical IPS clouding effect on the screen edges. 99% of the time, it is not visible because the content is bright. But when watching a movie that has a night scene and there is no ambient light in the room, it is awful. But in general, I like the TV :)

spacemanvt

Dec 15, 2012
If watching from bottom angle, I see the bands, but in straight view, I only see some greenish tint. It is not very disturbing for me. I mean, I have a LED TV, which has some of these typical IPS clouding effect on the screen edges. 99% of the time, it is not visible because the content is bright. But when watching a movie that has a night scene and there is no ambient light in the room, it is awful. But in general, I like the TV :)

Interesting, thank you for the response. I see the red tint straight on and at angles too, so maybe we have a similar issue but a different color? :)
I also have a LG OLED, which can look quite bad in some very dark scenes because of banding.

Top Liked Posts