• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Touch screen issue test / reproduction (video)

Search This thread

DaReDeViL

Forum Moderator / Inactive Recognized Developer
Staff member
Jul 15, 2009
Rabat
Samsung Galaxy S21
Yes I have also read about the different revisions (1.0 and 1.1) on the Samsung Community forums, but as the guy states, he has 1.1 from pre-order.
Also, someone wrote me on YT he just got a replacement unit which still has the issues. Okay, in this case, it can happen that he got an early production unit again.
But, more people have already reported to me that the units from middle October seems not having the issue. It cannot be said for sure that none of them are affected, but if this is a tendency, we can have a surely error-free version in a few months :D (yes, I also think about the F-word).

Guys, please keep reporting if you have or haven't issues, but with production date (Phone Info SAM app). And no issues = you can noway reproduce the ghost touches and crossing lines with the methods shown in video! Thanks in advance!

I suggest mentioning the hardware version too along some additional informations.

So here's my report :

NO ISSUE.
Model : SM-G781B Blue (Cloud Navy)
Manufacture date : 2020.09.19
Hardware version : 1.1
Stock ATJ5. Default settings. No screen protector or case. No mods or adb "tricks".

Last edited:

A French guy

Nov 5, 2020
Im am pretty sure (returned mine yesterday) that i had ATJ5 installed. Checked for updates before sending it back. Germany, unlocked.

I confirm ATJ6. France, unlocked too

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Im am pretty sure (returned mine yesterday) that i had ATJ5 installed. Checked for updates before sending it back. Germany, unlocked.

I suggest mentioning the hardware version too along some additional informations.

So here's my report :

NO ISSUE.
Model : SM-G781B Blue (Navy cloud)
Stock ATJ5. Default settings. No screen protector or case. No mods or adb "tricks".

OK
NO ISSUE
Manufacture date : 2020.10.20
Stock ATJ6. Default settings. Original screen protector. Case Clearview Samsung

capt_f0r3st

May 24, 2011
I am thinking of just buying the phone just for test :D Test it and return it right away. Maybe there is some really really small chance that I will get good unit :D

malikson30

Dec 10, 2015
I confirm ATJ6. France, unlocked too

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

OK
NO ISSUE
Manufacture date : 2020.10.20
Stock ATJ6. Default settings. Original screen protector. Case Clearview Samsung

Now I see ATJ6 == has no issue.

Does ATJ6 is newer than ATJ5? And the question is what is difference apart of ATJ6 and does ATJ6 really not have issue.. No ghost touch test the same way as in 1st post and no jittery during slowly zoom in/zoom out ?

tabish84

Mar 19, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
OnePlus 8T
I went to samsung store to get the issue checked but they told me the touch is fine by *#0*#. I told them i am having issue while playing games like pubg so they said the problem is with pubg and they offered me to flash the latest firmware on my device Aj5 but i was already on Aj5 so i refused. Will it make any difference if i factory reset my phone?
As some of them suggested me after updating to AJ5 it would help. I am not facing a single issue while using my phone. Problem only occurs occasionally while i am playing games

capt_f0r3st

May 24, 2011
I went to samsung store to get the issue checked but they told me the touch is fine by *#0*#. I told them i am having issue while playing games like pubg so they said the problem is with pubg and they offered me to flash the latest firmware on my device Aj5 but i was already on Aj5 so i refused. Will it make any difference if i factory reset my phone?
As some of them suggested me after updating to AJ5 it would help. I am not facing a single issue while using my phone. Problem only occurs occasionally while i am playing games

I bet that Samsung has told them what to say. Like: say whatever, just don't admit we (samsung) just f***ed it up :D
Factory reset 100% won't help. Problem is definitely not in pubg. Nor in any game. Just wait for update that - hopefully - solve it.

Last edited:

carlosmeldano

Jul 13, 2012

No, unfortunately:
- there is no firmware update up today that fixes the issue completely, ATJ1 enhances, ATJ5 enhances more, but for gaming, it is there
- I don't know or heard of anyone who had the issue and was completely eliminated by a firmware update, even ATJ1, ATJ5 or ATJ6
- this suggest that the problem is hardware-related and will not ever be fixed by firmware updates (3 updates, still no success?!)
- there are those who didn't have the issue originally, also on earlier firmwares, so if you are lucky, you can get an error-free unit
- what the samsung store guy told you is BS, give it back and ask for refund, while smiling in his face

carlosmeldano

Jul 13, 2012
Just wait for update that - hopefully - solve it.

Yea, "hopefully". They released 3 firmwares within a month, problem is still not solved. This is NOT rocket science, they don't fix the problem just adding more and more code to the touch panel firmware or the driver that masks out the issue in all possible places, if the digitizer is still defective. I can fix your car's flat tyre by pumping it up with glue or foam, but would you accept it? Just because this is what these firmware enhancements are about.

Journyman16

Aug 26, 2012
Murray Bridge
I went back to vendor (JBHiFi in Australia) and they contacted Samsung. They were told new update to fix it in a few days. It dropped Friday - interestingly didn't seem top change the firmware version - but didn't fix the issue. Will be taking it back for a different phone - or maybe just a refund.

$1000 seems better in my account given I don't actually have issues with my current phone. I just miss playing with ROMs. :D

tabish84

Mar 19, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
OnePlus 8T
Exynos version
13 oct manufacturing date
Navy Blue colour

android_htc

Feb 24, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE

How did they test it?
The ghost touches are pretty bad as well when using two fingers with the built-in diagnostic touch screen test (*#0*#)!

My device:
SUFFERING FROM GHOST TOUCH ISSUE
Stock ATJ5. Default settings. Original screen protector and a Spigen Case

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201108-174552_HwModuleTest.jpg
    Screenshot_20201108-174552_HwModuleTest.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 392

Marek.kov

Nov 8, 2020
How did they test it?
The ghost touches are pretty bad as well when using two fingers with the built-in diagnostic touch screen test (*#0*#)!

Test in built in app under *#0*# is not relevant. Every samsung phone I have does the same(S20+, A51, A50,A3). You do not even need to swipe fingers quickly. Just put one finger down after another and release.
They always connects with straight line. But it is not ghost touch. You can not replicate it in touch screen test app (one with blue background) on those phones.
I thought it would be quick way to try the phone without installing other apps, but NO.

Last edited:

android_htc

Feb 24, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Test in built in app under *#0*# is not relevant. Every samsung phone I have does the same(S20+, A51, A50,A3). You do not even need to swipe fingers quickly. Just put one finger down after another and release.
They always connects with straight line. But it is not ghost touch. You can not replicate it in touch screen test app (one with blue background) on those phones.

I didn't know that, thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:

Marek.kov

Nov 8, 2020
I didn't know that, that's for clarifying.

I found out only yesterday too, after seeing someone on YT trying it on FE as you did. So we need to stick with external app to test it.
I really wanted to buy this phone with Snapdragon, because I really do not like curved edges on regular s20 and I can have FE with SD in EU.
And I am thinking SW problem ? Samsung had never problem like this even on cheap phones and I would think algorithms to control touch screen will be very similar for all phones , if not the same. And most important they are fine tuned through years of development . So my best guess is HW issue and what can they do is to try mask the issue. But I am still hopping for SW issue.

This is qoute from other forum -reddit, worth to think about.
Sorry to disappoint you guys ... but if this is a hardware issue .. it will never be solved even in future batches ... yes it is the sad truth that most people won't like.. remember note 7 battery .. never fixed and was discontinued because it was critical ...it is very difficult and costly to know what causes it and replace hardware in the middle of mass production ... they may release some software updates to ease and workaround an existing issue but will not solve completely ... you either return your phone or live with it and enjoy it and forget about the test apps ...

Last edited:

OrrPenn18

Feb 18, 2011
Recovery Mode
This is exactly what happened with POCO F1. All of the units had varying levels of this issue and never got fixed since basically it was a hardware touchscreen defect.

Poco tried to tweak the kernel and push new builds to improve and restore the touch issue, but it never got fixed. Unfortunately, it looks to be the same case here.

Last edited:

buzzboy

Oct 29, 2010
Canterbury
Update just released in Korea.

No idea if this has fully resolved the issues, but may be worth keeping an eye on these threads for feedback.

https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/갤럭시-S/S20-FE-업데이트-있습니다/td-p/7650144

https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/갤럭시-S/갤럭시s20fe-화면떨림현상/td-p/7613269

(Use translate within Chrome)

Update edit:

Feedback from someone on Reddit:

'Just got an update that ends with ATJ1/ATK1. The jittery scrolling still happens but less often. It still fails the touch screen test but the stuttering when zooming has been fixed to some extent (still happens, but it's smoother and better)'

So not a 'Fix'. Looking more likely that this is a hardware issue IMO.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201109-093406_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201109-093406_Chrome.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:

capt_f0r3st

May 24, 2011
Sad indeed. Let's wait for more reports as the update will spread to more users. But these patches look like counting to infinite number....you are somehow getting closer but actually you never really get there :D

carlosmeldano

Jul 13, 2012

Sad to read it, but I am not surprised. Samsung will not recall those devices with hardware problem, maybe those who really-really hit the table will get a replacement units. Other will hope through a few firmware updates and finally settle. I suspect newer production units have much less problem, they must have changed the manufacturing process to eliminate these problems. For example, they don't manufacture newer phones with this cheapo digitizer unit.

Top Liked Posts