Touch screen issue test / reproduction (video)

Search This thread

buzzboy

Oct 29, 2010
Canterbury
I received the new update this morning also.

1) Ghost touches still present (Although reduced)

2) Pinch to zoom has improved , but still not perfect.

3) Jittery scrolling has improved a lot ,but once again not perfect.

Hardware revision 1.1

Last edited:

kuailan

Aug 3, 2009
Sydney
Sorry of topic. Did you buy the Note 20 Ultra from Exynos or Snapdragon? In my country, Poland in Europe, unfortunately I only have Exynos and I am a little afraid of these opinions about overheating and high temperature. That's why I care so much about the S20 FE 5G snapdragon. I used to have an Xperie X that was supposed to take great photos and shoot cool videos. In the summer, the Xperia X was so overheated while shooting movies that the camera application turned off after 1 minute. I had the message "very high device temperature" then and the camera application was not available at the time. And this problem was there all along, a factory defect. The processor was overheating.

I am considering a Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus 5G (exynos).
I played with this phone because my friend has it. It's great to play on it, for example in Call of Duty mobile

I got the exynos, most people other than the US, and Korean will get the exynos version. So far the phone work great for me. I'm just glad at least with this one I don't have touch screen issues.

waynester21

Sep 10, 2013
Had my Exynos S20 FE for 3 days now, manufactured 13th October according to the Phone Info SAM app, running latest firmware (November 1st security update) as I updated it as soon as I took it out the box. So far had no real world screen issues to speak of (touch wood) but the fault is there as I've recreated it by using the app in the video posted on this thread. As I say, I've not had any problem using my phone day to day for the 3 days I've had it. I ran the app on my Galaxy A70 and that has zero issues whatsoever. The S20 FE did create some of the diagonal lines but not as many as what were in the video.

vercety974

Aug 5, 2012
Partly unresponsive screen after taking the phone out of my pocket and unlocking it. Screenshot_20201115-220501_Photos.jpg

Envoyé de mon SM-G781B en utilisant Tapatalk

m3tric_

Nov 13, 2020
Bro I give up on mine...went to Parramatta Westfield Samsung. Give to the guys, don't argue too much ...so the proof....they will create a case number for their manager to call. Eventually they give me 3 options. 1 they will give 100 for my inconvenience and repair the item. 2 exchange a brand new one...3 refund. I just told them I want a refund. As much as its good to have another 100 back, but I can't risk another screwed up. I seriously think its more than software issues.

Now I just bought note 20 ultra for only several hundred more through corporate account. Totally big difference in the screen. I have less prone to errors, less accidental closing apps...and I even use the touch screen test on it...perfect no ghost touch what so ever.

Just wondering how long did it take for the refund? I am also going to take my device to the same place and keen to get a refund, I think I've been patient enough with the touchscreen problems. Was the process difficult? I bought mine directly from Samsung online.

(sent you a PM a few days ago as this is a bit off topic, so feel free to reply there if you'd like!) Thanks!

malikson30

Dec 10, 2015
I received the new update this morning also.

1) Ghost touches still present (Although reduced)

2) Pinch to zoom has improved , but still not perfect.

3) Jittery scrolling has improved a lot ,but once again not perfect.

Hardware revision 1.1

I've got this update:

Same results as above, apart of jittery --> no jittery at all . For me is almost perfect now. Of course in the testing app some time I I get cross lines (reduced since this SW update)

Last edited:

Pufanu

Mar 21, 2017
I'm starting to think that it's called the Fan Edition because you'd really have to be a die-hard Samsung fan to put up with this crap.

inley

May 26, 2016
Galaxy S20 FE (Exynos)
Manufacture Date: 5th Nov
Hardware Rev 1.0 (weird that more recently manufactured device has older Rev. Was expecting Rev 1.1 or even Rev 1.2)
Firmware: ATK1

Have done a Full Reset. Pinch to Zoom still stuttering

tabish84

Mar 19, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I played pubg mobile for 2 hours today after a very long time and would like to tell you the top left screen is the area where i am getting touch issues. I would also like to add the exynos 990 has issues too while playing the game with charger connected as it heats up.the phone and that results in bad performance. After using my older phone realme x3 superzoom for playing pubg it felt way smoother despite that i was playing with 90hz option with s20 fe and with 60hz on realme x3

extenue

Jan 29, 2007
is there any poll somewhere about this issue ?

is Exynos version more affected than SD or vice-versa ?

I really want this phone but before buy it I would like to be able to evaluate the "chance" to get a default unit

XT

M4r10 22

Oct 7, 2011
Braga
Forget the exynos, it is the biggest problem... if u really want the exynos go for s20+ instead.

There are a minor problems that u cant notice in real use. With last update u just notice zoom problem when u touch the fingers very very slowly. Scroll is ok, and i have played cod this days and i didnt have any issues playing.

But its a shame this low cost digitizer in a Samsung device that cost more than 600€!

Last edited:

the_furnace

Jun 30, 2011
I think it's very user dependent on the use case failures and may be rapid interaction and touch pressure/surface area.

- I have three of these phones, one power/gamer user, one social lurker and texter, and one for an older user.
- All three phones are on Verizon, SD chipset and on the "latest" BTJ5 build.
- All three users have had the phone slightly over a month.
- All three phones fail the alternating swiping test and close touch test in the Touch Screen Test app.
- The older user claims the phone works perfect and has had no issues. who really just uses the basic functions and is a single finger typer. She still "presses" on her touchscreen like it were a button rather than lightly tapping it.
- The social user has had one time when the center of her screen became unresponsive and had to reboot. She also mentioned a couple times she had issues typing, but wasn't a consistent issue and doesn't remember rebooting to fix the problem.
- The power user (myself) has experienced misregistered fast typing, swype typing, random deadzones, pinch to zoom stutter (maps and photos), scrolling stutter, and large sections of the screen becoming unresponsive (mainly the bottom half sometimes and most of the entire middle of the screen other times), along with one issue where the lower media speaker/speakerphone just stopped working (earpiece worked fine). However, I will say these issues occur maybe once a day during an average of 4hrs SOT.
- All these issues resolve temporarily with a reboot for the most part. Although I have had to reboot a couple times in a row a couple of times.
- A couple of times when I wasn't in a rush, I decided to see if the problem would just "go away" over time and they did. However, I am usually trying to do something in these moments and decide to reboot pretty much every time. So I don't have much data on the "run it's course" approach.
- On my phone personally, I have tried messing with increased touch sensitivity, 60hz vs 120hz, block accidental touches, and reduce animations. No changes have

I have also observed that when large sections of the screen become partially or totally unresponsive, I can actually get them to register full swipes in the Touch Screen Test app if I flatten out my thumb and drag. Would be interesting to see if other have this phenomena.

Personally, I think these varying opinions and use case of the device but an across the board failure on the app explain the mixed results we see in these threads on Reddit and XDA. Slow typers, people who have large surface area fingers/touches vs those who touch with the tips of their finger with the lightest pressure, people who interact with their phone in a more complicated manner etc.

Given the difference in anecdotal opinion above I would like to focus on empirical results. The three things I'm interested in are:

1. Has anyone ever got a clean result with the Touch Screen Test app while swiping at high speeds? I feel like users claiming they passed are not swiping fast, consistent, and long enough swipes. Would you be willing to post a video of the successful test?
2. Is anyone else able to verify large surface area swipes work correctly while the screen is malfunctioning in the Touch Screen Test app? Maybe give it a shot next time it fails.
3. Has anyone else just kept their phone on to see if it resolves itself after a period of time?

Personally, we will be keeping the phones because while the faults are there, they were a good deal at $350 and all users are content with the device even with it's shortcomings.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or feedback!

UPDATE 1: Adding some new info from some questions I got in another thread.

> Have you seen one post of a person who said they don't have an issue post a video or screen shots of them preforming the tests?

I have not. I updated my post to request this.

> Have you tried the App on dot mode?

Not before your request. I have now tested it and observing the same pairs of evenly spaced close dots from the link you posted on two of the phones I have with me currently. Dot Test Link

> Lastly could you check what Hardware version your phones are on.

I only have two phones at the moment and both are on REV1.0. I suspect they are all three REV1.0 as they were bought within the same week.

Also, I just got the BTK1 update on Verizon.

- Of the two devices I have on site, they both still fail the Touch Screen Test alternating swipes and the dot mode test you mentioned previously.
- I checked zooming on maps and photos, that has been improved. There is a single "jerk" when fingers are as close as I can get them and move apart, but the scrolling after the jerk is a useable smooth.
- I scrolled through Twitter and Relay since they both hide the navigation bars when scrolling. The liftoff jerk seems to be better in a way but worse in another. When I use my thumb, it's fairly unnoticeable and doesn't reveal the navigation bars. But when I sit the phone on a table and use my index finger, there is a consistent jerk in the opposite direction I'm scrolling when I lift my finger which causes the navigation bar to reveal. I naturally scroll with the tip of my index finger, but if I intentionally start at the tip of my index finger and purposefully flatten by index finger out at the peak of my swipe, the jerk does not occur. I think this further adds to my theory about it being surface contact related and also explains why I don't see as much failure when I navigate using my thumbs.

I will spend some time with BTK1 and report any new data.

Last edited:

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
I think it's very user dependent on the use case failures and may be rapid interaction and touch pressure/surface area.

- I have three of these phones, one power/gamer user, one social lurker and texter, and one for an older user.
- All three phones are on Verizon, SD chipset and on the "latest" BTJ5 build.
- All three users have had the phone slightly over a month.
- All three phones fail the alternating swiping test and close touch test in the Touch Screen Test app.
- The older user claims the phone works perfect and has had no issues. who really just uses the basic functions and is a single finger typer. She still "presses" on her touchscreen like it were a button rather than lightly tapping it.
- The social user has had one time when the center of her screen became unresponsive and had to reboot. She also mentioned a couple times she had issues typing, but wasn't a consistent issue and doesn't remember rebooting to fix the problem.
- The power user (myself) has experienced misregistered fast typing, swype typing, random deadzones, pinch to zoom stutter (maps and photos), scrolling stutter, and large sections of the screen becoming unresponsive (mainly the bottom half sometimes and most of the entire middle of the screen other times), along with one issue where the lower media speaker/speakerphone just stopped working (earpiece worked fine). However, I will say these issues occur maybe once a day during an average of 4hrs SOT.
- All these issues resolve temporarily with a reboot for the most part. Although I have had to reboot a couple times in a row a couple of times.
- A couple of times when I wasn't in a rush, I decided to see if the problem would just "go away" over time and they did. However, I am usually trying to do something in these moments and decide to reboot pretty much every time. So I don't have much data on the "run it's course" approach.
- On my phone personally, I have tried messing with increased touch sensitivity, 60hz vs 120hz, block accidental touches, and reduce animations. No changes have

I have also observed that when large sections of the screen become partially or totally unresponsive, I can actually get them to register full swipes in the Touch Screen Test app if I flatten out my thumb and drag. Would be interesting to see if other have this phenomena.

Personally, I think these varying opinions and use case of the device but an across the board failure on the app explain the mixed results we see in these threads on Reddit and XDA. Slow typers, people who have large surface area fingers/touches vs those who touch with the tips of their finger with the lightest pressure, people who interact with their phone in a more complicated manner etc.

Given the difference in anecdotal opinion above I would like to focus on empirical results. The three things I'm interested in are:

1. Has anyone ever got a clean result with the Touch Screen Test app while swiping at high speeds? I feel like users claiming they passed are not swiping fast, consistent, and long enough swipes.
2. Is anyone else able to verify large surface area swipes work correctly while the screen is malfunctioning in the Touch Screen Test app? Maybe give it a shot next time it fails.
3. Has anyone else just kept their phone on to see if it resolves itself after a period of time?

Personally, we will be keeping the phones because while the faults are there, they were a good deal at $350 and all users are content with the device even with it's shortcomings.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or feedback!

This is a good analysis (and illustration) of why anecdotal evidence from users is often misrepresentative of the scope of any given issue such as this, given the variability of user interaction with the device and sensitivity to the issue - all of which only further underscores how inappropriate it is for any given user who hasn't experienced (or noticed) the issue to disparage it as a 'non-issue.'

Last edited:

kuailan

Aug 3, 2009
Sydney
Just wondering how long did it take for the refund? I am also going to take my device to the same place and keen to get a refund, I think I've been patient enough with the touchscreen problems. Was the process difficult? I bought mine directly from Samsung online.

(sent you a PM a few days ago as this is a bit off topic, so feel free to reply there if you'd like!) Thanks!

Sorry late response...been busy. One thing i learned now never to buy from Samsung online direct, it will take up to 30 days for you to get your money back. Im still waiting for the money back in my bank account. Hopefully before end of the week.

Also i want to add one thing, a friend of mine who also bought the same time as me had his unit work just fine. I have tested his unit myself, and they are just fine. I guess from here i can see, this issue only plagued some units, not all of them. I guess we maybe some of the unlucky ones. Anyway right now im happy with my note 20 ultra, even though they are exynos chips.

Last edited:

xnappo

Aug 15, 2003
Interesting discovery, I was watching a movie in the dark and got bored and tried the test again, and the errors didn't happen. Screen was auto-bright all the way down. I turned up the brightness, and it started happening again. Turned it down, and it went away.
[EDIT] Nevermind - could not reproduce.

Last edited:

the_furnace

Jun 30, 2011
Interesting discovery, I was watching a movie in the dark and got bored and tried the test again, and the errors didn't happen. Screen was auto-bright all the way down. I turned up the brightness, and it started happening again. Turned it down, and it went away.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I just tried this with the brightness manually set to the minimum and still observed the lines crossing in the Touch Screen Test app.

Top Liked Posts