Touch screen not working, even after factory reset

Search This thread

DanHakimi

Aug 11, 2010
My phone arrived last night. I immediately, following the instructions I found here, magisk'd it. As soon as I flashed the patched image and rebooted... I found that the touch screen had stopped working.

So I booted into recovery (which was hard, because I can't figure out any way to shut my phone down), and wiped data / factory reset. The bootloader is still showing as unlocked. And the touch screen is still not working.

Does anybody know why this might be or what I should do about it? Note that I didn't buy from Google, I bought new from a well-reputed ebay seller...

DanHakimi

Aug 11, 2010
Send it back. It sounds like a hardware issue.

Alright.

Problem number 2: if I lock the bootloader, it tells me there's no valid operating system on the phone and won't start up. It only starts up while the bootloader is locked. So... do I send it back with the bootloader unlocked and hope they don't mind?

G

GuestK00292

Alright.

Problem number 2: if I lock the bootloader, it tells me there's no valid operating system on the phone and won't start up. It only starts up while the bootloader is locked. So... do I send it back with the bootloader unlocked and hope they don't mind?

If they are a reputable seller on ebay they probably wouldn't want to sell you a broken phone as it hurts their reputation; I'm not saying it didn't happen, but individual sellers are usually careful on that end.
Have you at least tried fastboot flashing the stock "bonito" image yet and see if that restores your touch? https://developers.google.com/android/images
*Also, keep in mind that Q is supposed to be coming out pretty soon(which may or may not help you situation). Pixel phones supposedly get official Q on Sep 3rd or you can join the beta program if you can't wait until then.
good luck:good:

DarkShadowMX

Dec 19, 2010
Hey buddy! I was in the same boat as you, so maybe your situation was the same as mine. My problem was that I had flashed the incorrect boot image. What I'd suggest is what I did: use a mouse to navigate through the phone and check the system version, then download the exact same OS version from google, extract, and flash that stock boot image. If it works, you can patch that same stock boot image with magisk and flash that one to get root and keep the touch screen working.

I hope this works out for ya. Cheers!

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
As it's new and you've got nothing to worry about saving I'd just flash the latest factory image via fastboot and once it's up extract the boot from that image and patch it. The fellow above is probably correct but there is one other thing, use an A to C cord, not the C to C cord for all your flashing.

DanHakimi

Aug 11, 2010
If they are a reputable seller on ebay they probably wouldn't want to sell you a broken phone as it hurts their reputation; I'm not saying it didn't happen, but individual sellers are usually careful on that end.
Have you at least tried fastboot flashing the stock "bonito" image yet and see if that restores your touch? https://developers.google.com/android/images
*Also, keep in mind that Q is supposed to be coming out pretty soon(which may or may not help you situation). Pixel phones supposedly get official Q on Sep 3rd or you can join the beta program if you can't wait until then.
good luck:good:

Yes, I've tried multiple versions of the bonito image, and none of them would flash properly. I'm really just trying to figure out if they're going to blame me because I unlocked the bootloader.

Will Q actually release tomorrow? Like, stock images up and everything? Oh, well, I might as well wait until tomorrow while I try to figure out their return policy.

G

GuestK00292

Yes, I've tried multiple versions of the bonito image, and none of them would flash properly. I'm really just trying to figure out if they're going to blame me because I unlocked the bootloader.

Will Q actually release tomorrow? Like, stock images up and everything? Oh, well, I might as well wait until tomorrow while I try to figure out their return policy.

You can relock the bootloader. Instructions are in the link I provided earlier. How would they know you unlocked it?

As far as Q - maybe? That's why I said "supposedly" it comes out the 3rd (https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...ndroid-10-pixel-september-3-release-leak-date) , but there are no guarantees in life (except death & taxes).

Last edited:

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Again, just to be sure, you are using a USB A to C and not a C to C, correct?

DanHakimi

Aug 11, 2010
Hey buddy! I was in the same boat as you, so maybe your situation was the same as mine. My problem was that I had flashed the incorrect boot image. What I'd suggest is what I did: use a mouse to navigate through the phone and check the system version, then download the exact same OS version from google, extract, and flash that stock boot image. If it works, you can patch that same stock boot image with magisk and flash that one to get root and keep the touch screen working.

I hope this works out for ya. Cheers!

I don't have a USB-C mouse, but I guess I could keep trying images until one of them works...

DanHakimi

Aug 11, 2010
You can relock the bootloader. Instructions are in the link I provided earlier. How would they know you unlocked it?

No, again, like I said, I can't. I tried fastboot OEM lock. And I tried flashing multiple stock images. Nothing seems to be working. I can try again and get you the exact error messages...

G

GuestK00292

No, again, like I said, I can't. I tried fastboot OEM lock. And I tried flashing multiple stock images. Nothing seems to be working. I can try again and get you the exact error messages...

Please do. I'm no dev & can probably offer little to no help, but if you post your errors someone else may be able to help you out.
It could just be a cable/driver/fastboot issue & not the phone, so please provide error info.

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Ok, do the full smash. This assumes a basic familiarity with flashing mechanics.

1. Download and install the latest fastboot package.
2. Download the latest image from google again.
3 Use a known good A to C usb cord
4 Before flashing the image type all the following commands one by one in fastboot...
fastboot erase system_a
fastboot erase system_b
fastboot erase boot_a
fastboot erase boot_b
fastboot reboot-bootloader
5 Flash the image using the flash all script.
6 Once you're up extract the boot from the image you flashed and patch it in magisk.
7 Flash the patched boot image.

Reactions: thetastycat

seniorstew

Feb 23, 2006
San Diego CA
Had a **** ton load of issues trying to go from rooted and TWRP with custom rom to Android 10.. Every time I ran the flash-all.bat it would fail at one stage or another.. Finally grabbed the Pie Ota from the site, sideloaded it through TWRP then wiped everything through stock recovery and then took the Android 10 update. My point is, use the OTA and sideload it

Reactions: oranget

oranget

Feb 14, 2013
I was rooted on Android 10 beta 6 and trying to download the OTA through the phone update failed every time. I uninstalled magisk and restored images..but still failed. I finally had to sideload the OTA image and it finally updated. That was the only way to get mine to work. Then I took the boot image from beta 6 that was already patched through magisk and re-flashed it because the boot image from Android 10 official patched through magisk would not give root...kept failing. Then when I re-flashed last months beta 6 image, upon reboot the screen would freeze and no apps would load. I then booted into recovery and did a factory reset and upon reboot magisk was identified and root was acquired....phone worked perfectly after that and no issues....weird. I then just reloaded all of my apps from backup and was on Android 10 official, rooted through magisk.

DanHakimi

Aug 11, 2010
I used the dongle included with the phone to make my usb-wireless mouse work. The OS is currently showing the July 5 version of Android 9. When I try flashing that specific version, I see what I attached in my screenshot. Other versions show similar bugs, although perhaps a few more. I haven't tried Android 10 yet...

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 7
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I used the dongle included with the phone to make my usb-wireless mouse work. The OS is currently showing the July 5 version of Android 9. When I try flashing that specific version, I see what I attached in my screenshot. Other versions show similar bugs, although perhaps a few more. I haven't tried Android 10 yet...

I suspect you are running out of hard disk space on the computer that you are using to try to flash all this with. I ran into a similar issue once when the C drive of my computer was nearly full. The system file ends up needing a lot of disk space in order for it to be unpacked. The error you are getting is that you are running out of space and it cannot unpack it. Again, this isn't phone memory space, this is actual computer hard drive space.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not even sure how many times someone here has helped me out of a jam but I think I can fairly categorize it as many; it's a great resource.
    Ok, do the full smash. This assumes a basic familiarity with flashing mechanics.

1. Download and install the latest fastboot package.
    2. Download the latest image from google again.
    3 Use a known good A to C usb cord
    4 Before flashing the image type all the following commands one by one in fastboot...
    fastboot erase system_a
    fastboot erase system_b
    fastboot erase boot_a
    fastboot erase boot_b
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    5 Flash the image using the flash all script.
    6 Once you're up extract the boot from the image you flashed and patch it in magisk.
    7 Flash the patched boot image.
    Had a **** ton load of issues trying to go from rooted and TWRP with custom rom to Android 10.. Every time I ran the flash-all.bat it would fail at one stage or another.. Finally grabbed the Pie Ota from the site, sideloaded it through TWRP then wiped everything through stock recovery and then took the Android 10 update. My point is, use the OTA and sideload it