Touch screen on Mazda's

Search This thread

tuncan

Dec 30, 2010
www.kacnje.eu
I have a 2016 Mazda CX-5. It has a touch screen if you use it in the default way (touch only when the car is stopped, otherwise the knob selector must be used). But immediately after you connect an Android Auto, it disables the touch screen even if the car is stopped. This isn't very pleasant because many functions are much faster with using a touch screen (entering an address for example). I'm talking about when a car doesn't move.

AFAIK, Mazda made this decision because Android Auto doesn't allow BOTH the touch screen and physical controls (knob selector) to work. They decide on physical controls and the touch screen is then disabled.
Do some of you guys have any idea if this (theoretically) can be overridden? Is this the reason why Coolwalk (beta) doesn't work on cars with knob selectors (Mazda, BMW, Audi ...)?
Is this limitation coded in Mazda's infotainment firmware?

Reactions: lifegap

lifegap

Oct 3, 2012
Xiaomi Redmi 5
I have the same car. The default Mazda entertainment software with original USB hub allowed touchscreen with hacked Android Auto tips from Mazda forums. But when I decided to use my iphone with the car which interface much more useful and beautiful, the tech guy upgrade the software on the car & replace the hub, then Android Auto disable the touchscreen. I try several times but the ugly interface and the dead touchscreen force me to prefer Apple Carplay. Even the latest beta AA cannot use touchscreen.

tuncan

Dec 30, 2010
www.kacnje.eu
Tnx.
AFAIK, the touch screen is disabled only on Android Auto? Can you confirm that the touch screen works while using Apple CarPlay?

ShadowJP88

May 5, 2015
I've got a mazda 3 2018, I've installed AA with MZDAIO. As it was possible in the tweak to remove this restriction, i've done it, so the touch screen always work. But still, I never use it.

Honestly, learn to play with the knob. Except for the keyboard, I love controling AA with the center knob, bottons do exactly what they are supposed to, no missclick while driving, easy and fast to control. Bonus point, the screen stay clean loll

When I need the keyboard, I use my cellphone anyway.

I think with AAWireless there is an option to remove this restriction too.

tuncan

Dec 30, 2010
www.kacnje.eu
Tnx.
You are right. MZDAIO is a firmware for infotainment and it can remove this restriction.
I have the official firmware (MDZAIO installation is more complex with the latest version of official firmware) and looking for a solution there.

Don't get me wrong - I also love the knob and Mazda really made a great job there. But when using Android Auto, many actions are slower and inconvenient.

I'm using Carsifi (AA Wireless competitor) and it can't remove this restriction. Can someone confirm that AA Wireless can remove it?

Last edited:

ShadowJP88

May 5, 2015
Tnx.
You are right. MZDAIO is a firmware for infotainment and it can remove this restriction.
I have the official firmware (MDZAIO installation is more complex with the latest version of official firmware) and looking for a solution there.

Don't get me wrong - I also love the knob and Mazda really made a great job there. But when using Android Auto, many actions are slower and inconvenient.

I'm using Carsifi (AA Wireless competitor) and it can't remove this restriction. Can someone confirm that AA Wireless can remove it?

You can see the option in the print screen

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221212-135421.png
    Screenshot_20221212-135421.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 109

tuncan

Dec 30, 2010
www.kacnje.eu
Tnx, but I don't understand (I tried with a dictionary to translate at least some words).
In your opinion, which option can disable touch screen restriction?
I know that there are Android Auto limitations on how many touches/clicks are allowed. Maybe you have this on your mind?

ShadowJP88

May 5, 2015
Tnx, but I don't understand (I tried with a dictionary to translate at least some words).
In your opinion, which option can disable touch screen restriction?
I know that there are Android Auto limitations on how many touches/clicks are allowed. Maybe you have this on your mind?
Screenshot_20221213-104516.png

Sorry, i haven't think to change my device language ^^

Well, i remember before having aawireless, when i was looking for music in vlc, aa force to stop scrolling every...20 rows? And i do not have that anymore

tuncan

Dec 30, 2010
www.kacnje.eu
View attachment 5784301

Sorry, i haven't think to change my device language ^^

Well, i remember before having aawireless, when i was looking for music in vlc, aa force to stop scrolling every...20 rows? And i do not have that anymore
Tnx, now I understand what is on your phone's screen :)

The option "Remove tap restriction" (probably) removes Google's restriction for "too much clicking/touching on the screen". What I want is to enable a touch screen. It is disabled on Mazda's infotainment when Android Auto is connected.

duysexy

Dec 28, 2022
hix same problem. native AA on Mazde can't touch. need use custom AA install by Mazda AIO but it' not stable.
but i upgrade fw to 74+, AIO Tweak not compatible. i think should be familiar with the knob :LOL:

abubin

Feb 1, 2013
I too have a hard time using apps with that stupid knob. Some functions are slow using knob, that I can still tolerate. However, some function just must use touch. For eg, when using Waze, sometimes I need to scroll the map to see my route. There is no way to do this with knob other than to zoom in/out. I just want to move the map at the zoom level I am at.

AIO is also not an option. I need to buy special connector to get it working and it's quite complicated.

Why can't Mazda just allow touch!??!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I too have a hard time using apps with that stupid knob. Some functions are slow using knob, that I can still tolerate. However, some function just must use touch. For eg, when using Waze, sometimes I need to scroll the map to see my route. There is no way to do this with knob other than to zoom in/out. I just want to move the map at the zoom level I am at.

AIO is also not an option. I need to buy special connector to get it working and it's quite complicated.

I am the same, the central control is very comfortable but there are some options of applications that would be easier to use the touch ... 😔 hopefully someone finds the solution
    i connected to mazda connect SSH. can edit android auto source code to active touch?

I am the same, the central control is very comfortable but there are some options of applications that would be easier to use the touch ... 😔 hopefully someone finds the solution
    I have a 2016 Mazda CX-5. It has a touch screen if you use it in the default way (touch only when the car is stopped, otherwise the knob selector must be used). But immediately after you connect an Android Auto, it disables the touch screen even if the car is stopped. This isn't very pleasant because many functions are much faster with using a touch screen (entering an address for example). I'm talking about when a car doesn't move.

AFAIK, Mazda made this decision because Android Auto doesn't allow BOTH the touch screen and physical controls (knob selector) to work. They decide on physical controls and the touch screen is then disabled.
    Do some of you guys have any idea if this (theoretically) can be overridden? Is this the reason why Coolwalk (beta) doesn't work on cars with knob selectors (Mazda, BMW, Audi ...)?
    Is this limitation coded in Mazda's infotainment firmware?
    Tnx.
    AFAIK, the touch screen is disabled only on Android Auto? Can you confirm that the touch screen works while using Apple CarPlay?
    It's work with Apple Carplay and the Mazda entertainment system
    i connected to mazda connect SSH. can edit android auto source code to active touch?