Touch Sensitivity

Search This thread

hazkal

Nov 4, 2010
This really should be sticked..

I was having a horrible time with areas on my screen, mostly along the outer edges (home button on top left, enter or backbutton on keyboard, etc).

This finally fixed it. I had installed TnT 4.4.0 and had to put the calibration.ini file on /sdcard not /sdcard2.

Glad I found this and tried both locations.

edit: wrong TnT version listed

Last edited:

themsn

Sep 21, 2007
hmmm... I placed the empty file in /sdcard days ago - and have powered down, rebooted, awakened from sleep countless times since - and the file is still there (VEGAn 5.1)

- michael

with root explorer I placed the file one level up above /sdcard (so essentially in root)
and that's the file that calibrated and then seemed to have disappeared after I rebooted.

But anyway, it worked beautifully!

And I definitely vote that this should be stickied as well!

dfin13

Aug 23, 2007
Memphis, TN
+1 for this fixing the touch screen issues. I found myself jabbing at the home soft key so many times I wanted to toss this thing out the window. I had to hit it at just the right angle -- same went for anything along the edges. Now it's perfect.

drum747

Mar 4, 2011
Dogtown, Or
You guys are awesome!! My tablet never had this problem but my wife's g tablet from Woot had the dead zones and I found this thread and bingo! Like a brand new screen! Thanks a million! She is very happy now and I don't have to hear how I suck for making her get one!

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

Last edited:

StingRay_

Dec 19, 2010
Dallas
Major thanks to epods_one, roebeet, rcgabriel, and others for posting calibration info, instructions, and files!

Was rather discouraged yesterday evening with the touchscreen and how difficult it was to select, scroll, etc....this fix turned my Gtab into a completely different machine!

Kershek

Nov 6, 2010
This fixed it right up.

At the prompt #

1. touch /sdcard/calibration.ini
2. /system/bin/TSCalibration.

I tried doing this (without the period after TSCalibration) and I get an error:

can not open the file calibration.ini in emmc !

I've placed an empty calibration.ini in both sdcard and sdcard2. I also tried using "exec /system/bin/TSCalibration"

I tried booting with the calibration.ini in both sdcard and sdcard2, leaving it for a few minutes before using, and I still have dead spots along the edges.

I'm using the brand-new VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition STABLE RC1 build on a Viewsonic G-Tablet.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

toonvox

Dec 11, 2010
I started getting dead zones on both the left and right sides of my G Tab after I applied a Skinomi screen protector. I was going nuts. I ran the Terminal Emulator, ran these commands, bingo.

THANK you! THANK you. You're all going to heaven.

Kershek

Nov 6, 2010
I tried doing this (without the period after TSCalibration) and I get an error:

can not open the file calibration.ini in emmc !

I've placed an empty calibration.ini in both sdcard and sdcard2. I also tried using "exec /system/bin/TSCalibration"

I tried booting with the calibration.ini in both sdcard and sdcard2, leaving it for a few minutes before using, and I still have dead spots along the edges.

I'm using the brand-new VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition STABLE RC1 build on a Viewsonic G-Tablet.

Any ideas?

To reply to my own post, I flashed my ROM to VEGAn beta 5.11, noticed the continuing dead spots, touched calibration.ini in both sdcard and sdcard2, and whammo! Very responsive screen! I guess it was the VEGAn GB version that was doing it... That's ok, because the lack of video acceleration was killing me.

Thanks for this thread!

TommyGloves

Jun 26, 2007
I thought I'd post to say "Thank You!". I just recieved my GTab yesterday from the second round WOOT sale. I decided to try the CyanogenMod-7.0.0-Harmony ROM. Spent sometime today getting it all setup and was also experiencing the deadspot issues. I used the suggested Terminal method and it worked perfect! :D

For TSCalibration to work in CM7, it requires the calibration.ini file to be in /emmc

(I'm new...so I'm not sure if this is obvious to everyone. ;) )

Last edited:

requiem3

Apr 19, 2011
To reply to my own post, I flashed my ROM to VEGAn beta 5.11, noticed the continuing dead spots, touched calibration.ini in both sdcard and sdcard2, and whammo! Very responsive screen! I guess it was the VEGAn GB version that was doing it... That's ok, because the lack of video acceleration was killing me.

Thanks for this thread!
I'm having this exact same issue, was TScalibration not found for you either when you tried to run it in terminal emulator?

I'll try switching ROMs as you did

Kershek

Nov 6, 2010
I'm having this exact same issue, was TScalibration not found for you either when you tried to run it in terminal emulator?

I'll try switching ROMs as you did

Well, I was able to run TScalibration, but I got the error "can not open the file calibration.ini in emmc !" After switching ROMs I noticed TommyGloves in this thread said there was an emmc directory, so if you haven't switched yet, try creating a calibration.ini in that directory and trying it again.

Truthfully, though, I've been very happy with 5.1.1, mostly because of the video acceleration. I also found VTL Launcher to give me the same launcher options on the sides as the VEGAn Gingerbread ROM had.

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
It seems to me, after looking at a strace output, that we should be able to get rid of the whole calibration.ini file creation mess with this simple command:
Code:
$ su
# echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/tegra_touch/calibration
Both the echo and the TSCalibration commands produce the same kernel message:
Code:
[74641.298524] AT168_SetCalibration OK .
This is, basically, what the TSCalibration command does (edited strace output):
Code:
execve("/system/bin/TSCalibration", ["/system/bin/TSCalibration"], [/* 16 vars */]) = 0
open("/proc/cmdline", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 3
read(3, "mem=448M@0M nvmem=64M@448M vmall"..., 1024) = 371
write(1, "get devicetype!\n", 16)       = 16
write(1, "get btmac!\n", 11)            = 11
open("/data/BCM4329B1.hcd", O_WRONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 4
lseek(4, 28, SEEK_SET)                  = 28
write(4, "\234^\326\23\32\0", 6)        = 6
close(3)                                = 0
close(4)                                = 0
open("/mnt/emmc/calibration.ini", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 3
write(1, " open the file calibration.ini i"..., 48) = 48
open("/sys/devices/platform/tegra_touch/calibration", O_RDWR|O_LARGEFILE) = 4
write(1, " open the file calibration in /s"..., 86) = 86
write(4, "1", 1)                        = 1
close(4)                                = 0
close(3)                                = 0
exit_group(0)
Also see this post.

harryaliasharish

Sep 18, 2014
I want to caliberate my mobile touch

Hi,

can you please tell me which script is

Thanks in advance ;)

Hi, I am getting the below error in my mobile. Please help me out.

can not get devicetype!
can not get btmac!
can not open the file /data/bluecore6.psr!
open the file calibration.ini in sdcard success!
open the file calibration in /sys/devices/platform/tegra_touch/calibration success !
can not write the file calibration !

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-18-23-48-21.png
    Screenshot_2014-09-18-23-48-21.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 76

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Possible Touchscreen Calibration Fix!

So,
    I'm having the same problem: upper two thirds of touchscreen is "dead"!!!!
    I searched around and found a thread about people installing the "HTC_Calibrate.apk" and using the resulting program on other tablets. Not very useful on the "G", especially since the program wants you to touch regions of the screen that are dead for me! I then saw the previous posting above about the file "/system/bin/TSCalibration". I decided to give it a try...

>BEGIN HACK ALERT<:D
    I installed the "Terminal Emulator 5.0" program and tried to run it, no go! I then played around and ended up being able to "exec" the binary. It ran with the "Cannot open calibration.ini". I "pulled" the binary off of the "G" with adb and looked for the strings inside. It needs to have the "ini" file in the root of "sdcard2"! I used the adb shell environment to create an empty file ("echo >calibration.ini") on sdcard2 (also did it on /sdcard - just in case!). I then ran terminal emulator and issued the commaned "exec /system/bin/TSCalibration", this time it found all the files it was looking for (including a file "/sys/devices/platform/tegra_touch/calibration") and my dead regions have totally vanished.
    >END HACK ALERT<:D

In fact, my touchscreen is now like it was on day one (three day old "G"). In fact, it may be a little too sensitive! I'll take "too sensitive" over dead any day...

For all those having problems, give this little hack a try and see if it fixes your tablet.

Now I need to make a script (or someting) to run this on demand whenever I notice problems with the touchscreen -or- everytime the "G" wakes!...

Enjoy!
    Thought this might be useful to some of you - it was to me. I hacked up a version of TSCalibration that reads your internal SDCard for calibration.ini instead of your external SDCard (i.e. it looks in /sdcard instead of /sdcard2). In case you're wondering, no I didn't properly reverse engineer nor de-compile the binary, I just hex edited it up and as suspected, the strings were all easy enough to find and change. :)

Please note that this is attached in a ZIP file. You need to open the ZIP file, and copy the enclosed TSCalibration file to your sd card via your USB cable. And you still need an empty calibration.ini in your /sdcard directory, so copy that over too (or you can just create it with the "touch" command if you have Terminal Emulator running on your G Tablet).

Then use Root Explorer to remount /system/bin as r/w, then copy the file TSCalibration from /sdcard and paste it into /system/bin. Then fix the permissions (which should be r/w/x for user, and r/x for group/other).

Now you can run TSCalibration whenever you want from the command line (as explained in earlier posts).

BTW, Roebeet, maybe you can package up this version of TSCalibration into TNT Lite/Vegan ROM, since it should be usable by everybody, with or without an external SD card.

I have tested this, and my little hack seems to work just fine. It fixed my terrible multitouch/pinch and zoom (though the G Tablet still only seems to be able to sense 2 simultaneous touches maximum, like the Nexus One - no true multitouch - sad).

NOTE: If you leave calibration.ini in your /sdcard directory, your G Tablet will re-calibrate on every boot. This means that if you are touching the screen in any way during the booting process, the calibration will be screwed up. Even if you are just holding near the edges. My recommendation is to reboot once without touching the G Tablet at all, and if you are happy with the new touchscreen calibration, rename calibration.ini to calibration.ini.bak so you won't accidentally screw up your touchscreen calibration again. It really doesn't need to be run on every boot.
    Glad things worked out...

Hello Again,
    I'm happy to read my little hack has made you all's "G" touchscreen experience acceptable, again. My tablets were on their way back to the store before getting "TSCalibration" to perform its magic! I now have a simple script that runs the utility "rooted" within the "Terminal Emulator" program. Recall, I'm still suffering along with the stock firmware from Viewsonic!

By the way, the two tablets I have (one from 'Sears' and other from 'Office Depot') have very different serial numbers (last 6 or 7 digits), one is in the 40K range ('S') the other is in the 100K range ('OD'), what are your "digits"?

Best Regards.
    Here is another way to do this.

1. put microsd card in Gtab
    2. open ES File Manager
    3. open your sdcard2 folder
    4. hit menu button on tablet
    5. select add new from menu option
    6. select new file
    7. type in "calibration.ini" with out quotes in file name.
    8. reboot and enjoy new touchscreen sensitivity.
    Typing this on my gtablet. The issue for me is the keyboard. There are parts of the screen that are unresoonsive making some letters not get tapped. The A key and l keys in particular. As a result I can't type smoothly or naturally because I will make several errors along the way. This does not happen onky iphone or my wires ipad.
    it might bemy rrleason for sending it back as it takes too ongoing totyr correctly and I get tire d of all the corrections.