Touchpad USB OTG Compatibility List

Search This thread

pit-pit

Jun 26, 2012
Gatineau , QC
Anyone succesfully mounted a ntfs hdd and if so how did u do it? I tryd with multiple apks but it only see my drive but cant mount it!

zard

Jul 19, 2005
Thanks for the useful information provided, I now can connect my Thumb drive to my TouchPad. It's not as convenient as compared to using my OTG adapter on my Samsung Galaxy Note, but at least it is possible now.

Here's how I do it:
1. Connect usb hub to OTG adapter (usb to usb micro usb)
2. Connect my Eneloop portable charger and Thumb drive to the usb hub
3. Power up usb hub by pressing power button on Eneloop portable charger
4. Optional: Download [root] StickMount by Chainfire from Play Store

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Coronado is dead

Dec 24, 2010
So, has there been a lot of luck with keyboards using these devices? I would love to use my Touchpad as a portable writing station, but the HP Bluetooth keyboard is really not great for me for typing for any length of time. I see it mentioned in the OP but not a lot of people reporting personal experiences across different keyboards.

Thanks all :)

Last edited:

raed81

Jun 30, 2011
steling heights -MI
62f3767e-d18c-9d70.jpg
i was able to connect wireless keyboard with mouse pad (2 in 1 ) by using otg adapter and powered usb hub but i am un able connect flash drive

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium

Last edited:

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
From the original post:

If you want to diagnose items and see some info about what the Touchpad is detecting, download USB Device Info free from Google Play. Everything shows up under the Linux tab. It wont tell you if Android has drivers for the device, but merely IDs the device(s) confirming the connection if working.

Is your flash drive showing up under the list of devices under the Linux tab in this software? It also needs to be a FAT/FAT32 drive for Android to mount it, any drive 32GB or under should be using this format by default. NTFS drives can be mounted with 3rd party software.

raed81

Jun 30, 2011
steling heights -MI
Device Info
Device Path: /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1.7/
Device Class: Use class information in the Interface Descriptors (0x0)
Vendor ID: 1307
Vendor Name (reported): USB 2.0
Vendor Name (from DB): Transcend Information, Inc.
Product ID: 0163
Product Name (reported): USB Flash Drive
Product Name (from DB): 256MB/512MB/1GB Flash Drive

Additional Info
USB Version: 2.00
Speed: 480
Protocol: 00
Maximum Power: 80mA
Serial Number: 8f92f3c1f074a6

thats what it says under the linux tab

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
Device Info
Device Path: /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1.7/
Device Class: Use class information in the Interface Descriptors (0x0)
Vendor ID: 1307
Vendor Name (reported): USB 2.0
Vendor Name (from DB): Transcend Information, Inc.
Product ID: 0163
Product Name (reported): USB Flash Drive
Product Name (from DB): 256MB/512MB/1GB Flash Drive

Additional Info
USB Version: 2.00
Speed: 480
Protocol: 00
Maximum Power: 80mA
Serial Number: 8f92f3c1f074a6

thats what it says under the linux tab

Okay, then it should show up under /mnt/usbdisk in Root Explorer or whatever file explorer software you use that can access that location.

raed81

Jun 30, 2011
steling heights -MI
Yeah its been there all the time but I thought it wasn't working bcos I couldn't see my pictures in the galley like in all the videos about otg the content of the drive shows up in the gallery ...thanks anyway

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using xda premium

ZedZardoz

Jan 23, 2012
San Diego, CA
ALL my USB flash now mount (FAT32) SD cards

I've posted on that thread, the utility presented there is a MUST HAVE. If you're using OTG host mode with USB flash drives on an HP touchpad, you need this.

With it, I can access all my flash memory, even the SDcard USB adapters that by overcoming 'insufficient availble bus power' indications. It provides an unmount as well.

---------- Post added at 06:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 AM ----------

So, has there been a lot of luck with keyboards using these devices? I would love to use my Touchpad as a portable writing station, but the HP Bluetooth keyboard is really not great for me for typing for any length of time. I see it mentioned in the OP but not a lot of people reporting personal experiences across different keyboards.

Thanks all :)

I've used a Hub to connect keyboards and mice with excellent responsiveness. My best combo is without the hub, using a Logitec USB wireless mouse/keyboard combo.

I don't think I've tested any keyboards that didn't work. I was very pleased to see the wireless work. ::victory:

ZedZardoz

Jan 23, 2012
San Diego, CA
USB Host adapter made simpler?

I'll be the guinea pig. I've ordered this one for a test.

Or for those that also have a phone with MHL:

http://www.amazon.com/Juiced-Systems-MHL-Adapter-MicroSDHC/dp/B008CQKM2U/

Has anyone tried these? They look similar to the Japanese device shown earlier on this thread.

:eek:

And then there is this cable, from the N7 forum:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110931117836

Last edited:

Nathanation

Mar 22, 2011
Farnham
Has anyone successfully used the app DSLR controller with the touch pad?

I have a canon 550d and a USB y cable and USB power source on the way so I should be able to test myself in a week or so.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

ZedZardoz

Jan 23, 2012
San Diego, CA
[INITIAL REVIEW] Juiced Systems 4-in-1

Has anyone tried these? They look similar to the Japanese device shown earlier on this thread.

I got mine and here are my initial impressions:

=== Initial Review of Juiced Systems ACA adapter ===
I got this: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Multi-.../dp/B006MJZOMW

It is not a simple cable adapter but a USB OTG ACA (Accessory Charger Adapter) compliant device. Sadly it's designed for Galaxy Nexus Products and the full ACA compatibility doesn't appear to be implemented in hardware and/or software on the Touchpad with CM9.

1- It does function as OTG host port with the Micro usb, from a charger, powering the downstream devices. :good:
2- OTG to devices on USB/microSD/SD interfaces works well :good: Only one at a time for memory volumes (FAT32). Not sure if that's a software shortcoming.
3- Success with USB mice & keyboard devices including a USB wireless adapter for Logitec mouse/keyboard. :good:
4- Haven't found an NTFS mount solution for Touchpad w/ CM9 nightly 0903. :confused: This may be due to my USB HDD (3TB-NTFS). NTFS Mounter was a no-go.
5- It does connect to the Touchpad, but not with the HP folio case, or most cases, as it's a close fit. :( The MHL 5-in-1 has a short wired tail and would do better.
6- The ACA charging of the touchpad while hosting, or otherwise, sadly doesn't work as it was reported to function on SG2. :crying:
7- ACA indicator never lights up to signal either charging or host mode. :(

Initial Result:
- At $20USD there are fewer cables, but full ACA charging doesn't work, which was my motivation to spend more. :p
- OTG to devices on USB/microSD/SD interfaces works well, but only one at a time for memory volumes FAT32. :good:
- The physical connection seems a little weak to me. I almost feel like it could break off damaging the adapter, or worst, the micro USB interface. :crying:

Further tests:
- I want to check if the Wirless mouse/keyboard on USB can be used with a SD card in either slot.
- I'd also like to test of external HUB with devices further downstream such as self powered HDD and seperate USB Mice, Keyboards (for deskside use).
- Can anyone recommend a ICS compliant USB GPS & app?

Although this setup with: Touchpad, USB battery, Juice adapter, is simple and elegant, its pricy for features I'm not able to use (charging while host).
I'm not impressed it will be rugged enough for field use.

On these two counts, it's a not recommended device for HP touchpad. :( If you have another phone that can utilize these ACA features, then I'd say get one for use with both.

Here is my recommended portable solution for the HP (agrees with OP) as it would appear HP Touchpad is not OTG-ACA compliant:
- HP Touchpad
- Battery soulution of choice (OP) <<< $4.25USD
- OTG host cable & power Y combo (OP) <<< $6USD
- USB memory / flash drive of choice
(or other USB device that is ICS compatible with HP Touchpad)

My quest for charging the HP touchpad & downstream devices in host mode continues... :(

This YouTube indicates charging of HP & downstream devices during Host mode is posible with this homebrew cable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p10LgZFIawo
Can anyone confirm this? :confused:

Reactions: waynekirby

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
4- Haven't found an NTFS mount solution for Touchpad w/ CM9 nightly 0903. :confused: This may be due to my USB HDD (3TB-NTFS). NTFS Mounter was a no-go.

I just uploaded the Drive Mount apk in the original post. This is what I have been using personally to mount computer HDDs with using a Rosewill IDE/SATA USB adapter.

My quest for charging the HP touchpad & downstream devices in host mode continues... :(

This YouTube indicates charging of HP & downstream devices during Host mode is posible with this homebrew cable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p10LgZFIawo

From my experience when OTG is activated that the Touchpad refuses to accept power via microUSB. I have tried setups where there was plenty of current available if the Touchpad wanted to charge by using the 2A Touchpad charger along with a USB mouse that only consumes 0.1A. If you use a Touchstone charger the Touchpad will charge from that while still allowing OTG to work via microUSB. If somebody can figure out a way around this please let us know how, but I am under the assumption that the +5v wire on the microUSB port is being internally switched when OTG is activated.

Reactions: ZedZardoz

manera

Sep 16, 2010
Okay guys I'm new to this OTG setup.

And to get started I bought this external USB battery pack ( NEWEGG - Rosewill RCBR-11010 5000mAh External) on Cyber Monday. See attachment.

I am waiting on the last OTG cable to come in. Hopefully this setup will allow an external HDD to be powered on the go.

I'll report back with my results.

Sent from my HP Touchpad - CM9 ICS using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354404543141.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354404543141.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks to a recent video by reverendkjr on Youtube, we now have a confirmed USB OTG method for CM9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc7tlPwFQpg

This has lots of potential and since I did not see much talk about it here, I decided to create a thread with what you need to buy listed in reverendkjr's video and what works. I would recommend only buying from Amazon Fulfilled sellers as they are backed by Amazon's return policy. All 3 items only cost a little over $10.

OTG Cable:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QX7KYU

USB Y Cable:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041CFFBM

2AA Battery Powered Portable USB Power Supply:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M9Z5F6

(Added September 7th)
    OTG Cable With Female MicroUSB (Allows you to use any microUSB charger as the power supply)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/130740524313?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

OTG Cable With Male Full Size USB (Allows you to use any power supply with regular USB port)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-H...i9100-S3-i9300-i9220-i9250-XOOM-/140825132367

You can use whatever source of USB power you want including a wall charger, but I bought the 2AA battery powered supply above and can confirm it works.

Compatibility List:
    -Multiple USB devices will work if you use a USB hub. A non-powered one works fine for me since you will already have a separate power source.
    -USB keyboards and mice work fine including all basic functions like scroll wheel on the mouse, num and caps lock on the keyboard.
    -FAT32 formatted flash drives will mount by default under "/mnt/usbdisk".
    (Added September 7th)
    -If you want to mount NTFS drives or multiple flash drives, download Drive Mount. This software will mount drives under "/mnt/sda1", "/mnt/sdb1", etc. I can confirm it works for multiple drives and NTFS/FAT32. It was removed from Google Play so the apk has been posted. If anybody has had success with other NTFS mounting software please post your results.
    (Added April 6th)
    -I tried a Rosewill USB SATA/IDE externally powered hard drive reader and was able to mount a 400GB SATA 3.5" HDD using Drive Mount. Just to see what would happen I tried a SATA DVD drive but Android doesn't recognize it and probably doesn't even support the CD/DVD file system.
    (Added April 7th)
    -USB card readers will work, but I've had mixed results.

USB Device Info:
    If you want to diagnose items and see some info about what the Touchpad is detecting, download USB Device Info free from Google Play. Everything shows up under the Linux tab. This shows some useful info about devices including current draw, device identification, etc. I tested it with a USB hub and a few flash drives and it successfully showed entries for the hub and the flash drives. It wont tell you if Android has drivers for the device, but merely IDs the device(s) confirming the connection if working.
    (Added Dec 9th)
    A plugged in USB OTG adapter will show up as "Qualcomm On-Chip EHCI Host Controller" under the Linux tab regardless of whether or not power is present. This is a good way to see if you have a working OTG adapter.

Flash Drive Unmounting Issues:
    Flash drives are called an SD Card when mounted. There is no option to unmount a flash drive unless you use Drive Mount, so if you notice SD card removal error messages they are referring to your flash drive and not the Touchpad's internal memory partition that is mounted as /sdcard.
    When a flash drive is removed or powered off without being unmounted, its common to get a "android.process.media" force close, just tap OK.

Charging:
    You will not be able to charge via micro USB while using OTG even if your power source has enough current. You can charge via the Touchstone just fine. Knowing this, you can set up a really nice docking station by using the Touchstone as a stand/charger and then using the microUSB slot for peripherals like a USB keyboard and mouse connected to a hub with spare ports for flash drives, etc.

(Added September 7th)
    Insufficient Available Bus Power Fix:
    If you get this error, I haven't yet, some users have had success using this app posted on Rootzwiki.
    [INITIAL REVIEW] Juiced Systems 4-in-1

I got mine and here are my initial impressions:

=== Initial Review of Juiced Systems ACA adapter ===
    I got this: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Multi-.../dp/B006MJZOMW

It is not a simple cable adapter but a USB OTG ACA (Accessory Charger Adapter) compliant device. Sadly it's designed for Galaxy Nexus Products and the full ACA compatibility doesn't appear to be implemented in hardware and/or software on the Touchpad with CM9.

1- It does function as OTG host port with the Micro usb, from a charger, powering the downstream devices. :good:
    2- OTG to devices on USB/microSD/SD interfaces works well :good: Only one at a time for memory volumes (FAT32). Not sure if that's a software shortcoming.
    3- Success with USB mice & keyboard devices including a USB wireless adapter for Logitec mouse/keyboard. :good:
    5- It does connect to the Touchpad, but not with the HP folio case, or most cases, as it's a close fit. :( The MHL 5-in-1 has a short wired tail and would do better.
    6- The ACA charging of the touchpad while hosting, or otherwise, sadly doesn't work as it was reported to function on SG2. :crying:
    7- ACA indicator never lights up to signal either charging or host mode. :(

Initial Result:
    - At $20USD there are fewer cables, but full ACA charging doesn't work, which was my motivation to spend more. :p
    - OTG to devices on USB/microSD/SD interfaces works well, but only one at a time for memory volumes FAT32. :good:
    - The physical connection seems a little weak to me. I almost feel like it could break off damaging the adapter, or worst, the micro USB interface. :crying:

Further tests:
    - I want to check if the Wirless mouse/keyboard on USB can be used with a SD card in either slot.
    - I'd also like to test of external HUB with devices further downstream such as self powered HDD and seperate USB Mice, Keyboards (for deskside use).
    - Can anyone recommend a ICS compliant USB GPS & app?

Although this setup with: Touchpad, USB battery, Juice adapter, is simple and elegant, its pricy for features I'm not able to use (charging while host).
    I'm not impressed it will be rugged enough for field use.

On these two counts, it's a not recommended device for HP touchpad. :( If you have another phone that can utilize these ACA features, then I'd say get one for use with both.

Here is my recommended portable solution for the HP (agrees with OP) as it would appear HP Touchpad is not OTG-ACA compliant:
    - HP Touchpad
    - Battery soulution of choice (OP) <<< $4.25USD
    - OTG host cable & power Y combo (OP) <<< $6USD
    - USB memory / flash drive of choice
    (or other USB device that is ICS compatible with HP Touchpad)

I just uploaded the Drive Mount apk in the original post. This is what I have been using personally to mount computer HDDs with using a Rosewill IDE/SATA USB adapter.

From my experience when OTG is activated that the Touchpad refuses to accept power via microUSB. I have tried setups where there was plenty of current available if the Touchpad wanted to charge by using the 2A Touchpad charger along with a USB mouse that only consumes 0.1A. If you use a Touchstone charger the Touchpad will charge from that while still allowing OTG to work via microUSB. If somebody can figure out a way around this please let us know how, but I am under the assumption that the +5v wire on the microUSB port is being internally switched when OTG is activated.