[TRACKER] Netflix on CM7 - Summary, plus bug tracker

Search This thread

chinly43

Sep 18, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi everyone,

I though it'd be helpful to at least attempt to centralize the discussion on this, since everything's a little spread out. To summarize what I think we know so far:

1) Netflix streaming DOES NOT WORK on our G2 when running CM7-stable.

2) Netflix streaming DOES work on a G2 running stock 2.2.

3) Netflix streaming DOES work on a G2 running CM7-RC2.

4) Netflix streaming DOES work on other devices running CM7-stable.

5) Netflix streaming DOES work on UNSUPPORTED devices running CM7-stable, such as the Nook Color, when the build.prop is spoofed to replicate OUR PHONE.

Given the above facts, I thought it would be appropriate to submit this to bug tracker. If you think it deserves it, you can star the issue here - http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issues/detail?id=3723. I also think that if possible, further discussion should happen within this specific topic (or some other centralized one), so that people aren't out of luck by not happening to find the one topic in a dozen where progress was made.

chinly43

Sep 18, 2010
Seattle, WA
I played a video using my nook, then tried with the G2, and collected logs via DDMS. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to filter just for errors or not, so I didn't - these are the raw log files, attached here.

EDIT - I had to save the G2 log in word, because it was too big of a .txt file.

Attachments

• netflix-nookcolor.txt
    21.2 KB · Views: 20
  • netflix-G2.docx
    41.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

DRSdroid

May 13, 2011
hmm.. i tried Netflix on my G2 lastnight after reverting to CM7 RC2 and had the same problem. I'll try again tonight though, this time i'll uninstall the app, clear cache and flash CM7 RC2 and then reinstall app

dhilberg

Jul 13, 2010
I thought I read somewhere that people were saying it DOES work on the leaked T-Mobile Gingerbread build for G2. So it's something directly related to CM7 itself. I'm running nightly 74 and it does not work.

trickinit

Aug 1, 2007
I thought I read somewhere that people were saying it DOES work on the leaked T-Mobile Gingerbread build for G2. So it's something directly related to CM7 itself. I'm running nightly 74 and it does not work.

I've actually tried it on the leaked Gingerbread ROM and it didn't work there either. It did however give me a blank white screen instead of a black screen though. I have gotten it to work on my G2 on both stock 2.2 and CM6. I also have a Defy running CM7 (not a stable build) and it works perfectly on it. It's got to be some combination of Gingerbread and the G2.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA Premium App

xsteven77x

Jul 2, 2010
Pittsburgh
It straight up says in the netflix app description:

HTC G2 - Android 2.2. Mystery solved as to why it does not work on gingerbread.

aiziks251

May 28, 2009
Does anyone have a prop file for the nexus one running android 2.3? Maybe that would work for us the same way the g2 prop file worked for g2x users?

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

xsteven77x

Jul 2, 2010
Pittsburgh
Does anyone have a prop file for the nexus one running android 2.3? Maybe that would work for us the same way the g2 prop file worked for g2x users?

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

Been stated by people in the know (not me), that it's not a build/identifying issue. It's a rom issue. The rom developer will have to re-work the rom.

jjank11

Jan 5, 2011
Been stated by people in the know (not me), that it's not a build/identifying issue. It's a rom issue. The rom developer will have to re-work the rom.

Well, might be, but just sounds odd that people are using the g2 build.prop to get Netflix working on other devices not even supported by Netflix yet. I'm not saying its the build.prop and certainly sounds like a ROM issue but that just strikes me as odd.

jjank11

Jan 5, 2011
I played a video using my nook, then tried with the G2, and collected logs via DDMS. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to filter just for errors or not, so I didn't - these are the raw log files, attached here.

EDIT - I had to save the G2 log in word, because it was too big of a .txt file.

How do you get the logs? Any way you can make the g2 logs a regular .doc or .txt?

chinly43

Sep 18, 2010
Seattle, WA
How do you get the logs? Any way you can make the g2 logs a regular .doc or .txt?

I have DDMS open while I run the app and try to play something, and just note where the app starts and stops by watching then export the relevant parts.

It's too long for either of those file type, but .docx is the default from word, if you can't open it on your laptop then I bet google docs could do it if you save then upload it.

xsteven77x

Jul 2, 2010
Pittsburgh
Well, might be, but just sounds odd that people are using the g2 build.prop to get Netflix working on other devices not even supported by Netflix yet. I'm not saying its the build.prop and certainly sounds like a ROM issue but that just strikes me as odd.

Not in any way doubting you but I have not seen these posts. Would love to see how they did it to investigate some.

Reactions: chinly43

xsteven77x

Jul 2, 2010
Pittsburgh
I can't believe the lengths that everyday people are going to for this netflix app. Nothing wrong with it, just crazy. We could solve world hunger if people would funnel this type of energy to something else lmfao!

DRSdroid

May 13, 2011
i've read online about people getting the app running on their Droid X and Nook Color, but the info is scarce, and i haven't read anywhere about what device they had set in their build.prop

chinly43

Sep 18, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not in any way doubting you but I have not seen these posts. Would love to see how they did it to investigate some.

Whoops, accidentally hit thanks instead of quote. Anyway,

I have my NC running netflix, it takes two simple build.prop changes to the model and manufacturer lines, making them HTC Vision and HTC. That's all, then it works.

jjank11

Jan 5, 2011

After comparing the logs of my N1 and G2, it seems as if the G2 cyanogen build does not have the drm. When the G2 Netflix app goes to check OMXCORE it returns drm_play not available, whereas the N1 checks out fine and get a bunch of OMXCORE checks.

Also if I'm not mistaken, the G2 (and many other phones) does not officially have gingerbread yet so it only makes sense that 2.2 is the prereq for all the non-nexus phones.

So it would make sense for it to work on other devices that had the DRM, if you just simply changed the build.prop id's

Last edited:

supermario12312

Aug 18, 2010
I posted this elsewhere, but I thought it would be useful to put it here to. The Dropbox link is a .txt, btw.

In regards to the problems we have been having with netflix, I have a logcat. This was obtained with Catlog, and was recording from the time I started the app to when I was returned to the menu after the movie crashes. Its a Dropbox link, here ya go: http://db.tt/vPp12DT

There is one thing in there that worries me, and I think its what's causing the error. This error right here:

05-13 15:58:11.294 F/SoftwareRenderer(1388): frameworks/base/media/libstagefright/colorconversion/SoftwareRenderer.cpp:59 mConverter.isValid()

If I had to bet money, id say this is what's causing the error. But I'm no dev, so I couldn't be sure.

prp2

Oct 18, 2010
www.twitter.com
Whoops, accidentally hit thanks instead of quote. Anyway,

I have my NC running netflix, it takes two simple build.prop changes to the model and manufacturer lines, making them HTC Vision and HTC. That's all, then it works.

Incorrect. I just changed that (manufacturer line already was HTC, but the model was T-Mobile G2) and rebooted. Same issue. Audio plays fine, but video is just a white screen.

Running the PC10IMG_Vision_Gingerbread_S_TMOUS_2.13.531.8 from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1074852

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone,

I though it'd be helpful to at least attempt to centralize the discussion on this, since everything's a little spread out. To summarize what I think we know so far:

1) Netflix streaming DOES NOT WORK on our G2 when running CM7-stable.

2) Netflix streaming DOES work on a G2 running stock 2.2.

3) Netflix streaming DOES work on a G2 running CM7-RC2.

4) Netflix streaming DOES work on other devices running CM7-stable.

5) Netflix streaming DOES work on UNSUPPORTED devices running CM7-stable, such as the Nook Color, when the build.prop is spoofed to replicate OUR PHONE.

Given the above facts, I thought it would be appropriate to submit this to bug tracker. If you think it deserves it, you can star the issue here - http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issues/detail?id=3723. I also think that if possible, further discussion should happen within this specific topic (or some other centralized one), so that people aren't out of luck by not happening to find the one topic in a dozen where progress was made.
    how would one go about doing this?

You can grab a copy of RC2 and extract the libs then adb push them to /system/lib.

Or you can use this flashable ZIP I made.

As always, backup before flashing anything just in case.

This shouldn't even let you flash on anything NOT a Vision/G2. No idea if this will work on anything besides CM 7.0.3 stable. Theoretically it should work on anything between CM7 RC2 and CM 7.0.3 stable, but your YMMV. I'm fairly certain this WILL NOT work on any of the recent nightlies past CM 7.0.3 stable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the video drivers for the G2 get updated after CM7 RC2? maybe that's why video playback won't work properly? Seeing as how older CM works and stock G2 roms work...just a thought?
    Another confirmation here for nightly 77, and fps2d gives me 58 frames/sec.