General Trade-In Issues

Search This thread

Curiousn00b

Man that sucks. My trade in appears lost at this point. It's a loss of $600. My package has been sitting in Nashville for two weeks now and the Google chat help line is useless. I certainly won't use the google trade in service ever again. This process has been a mess. I am happy for all those that have successfully rec'd their trade in credits.
Likewise. I'll contact them tomorrow since I just got home, don't feel like dealing with runarounds, but I do feel like the odds of getting this solved are slim.

On a sidenote, I just received a phone case from the Google Store and opened one of their envelopes that we sent them, the Jiffy Padded Sealed Air envelopes, and man... This thing was NOT easy to open at all, so if Google claims they received an empty envelope, I'm calling bullcrap.

Mr_Smilie

Nov 16, 2011
Reading some of these horror stories is getting me concerned. Traded in my P6 for the P7P strictly for the overall stability upgrade.. It's been about a week since it arrived in Nashville.. I really hope I don't get screwed on the trade-in!

1667963485628.png

chetly968

Jul 15, 2014
Paradise Valley
Meanwhile...

USPS still says moving through network, Google says they just received it and after 4 minutes sent another email that says it was empty or miscellaneous?

I recorded myself putting the phone into the envelope they sent just in case, but really hard to trust Google after things like this. 🤦‍♂️
Just so I understand, you didn't receive any credit or discount or anything? They opened the package and claimed it was empty/not what you sent/damaged? I don't know how they could come to whatever conclusion they came to.

Curiousn00b

Just so I understand, you didn't receive any credit or discount or anything? They opened the package and claimed it was empty/not what you sent/damaged? I don't know how they could come to whatever conclusion they came to.
Correct. Received and email that said they received my trade in, then 3 minutes later received another that said I was credited 0 because the phone was missing or a miscellaneous was received.

I recorded my phone showing that it worked, factory reset was done, and putting it into the sealed envelope and showed Google that via text chat. A few days later, they gave me a courtesy refund for the full amount of my Pixel 4XL($305).

I came across this article yesterday too. Google basically dropped the price by half due claiming that the customer didn't factory reset their phone. Seems like something so minor that shouldn't really be a factor, so yeah. Make sure you guys record everything just in case for the future.

krips2003

Sep 27, 2009
Louisville
I hope the trade-in goes well with me. At the same time, I haven't opened the Pixel 7 Pro yet. It's still in the sealed box. If they offer me anything lower than what they have promised, I'll send the Pixel 7 Pro back for full refund.

moopsterboo

Aug 18, 2015
I paid FedEx $15 for three-day delivery on my trade-in, it should arrive Thursday. I didn't want to chance it with the Lewis DeJoy-damaged USPS.

Reactions: RebDovid

gcodori

Nov 11, 2007
Mine has been sitting in TN for 10 days now. At least I took pics of it showing it was factory reset and stuffed into the envelope.

I'll wait one more week until I contact them.

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Mine was stuck in Tennessee for 11 days. I sent mine on October 28th and got reimbursed today for $480 (pixel 6 pro 128 GB). They take a long time. Also, take a video of factory resetting the phone as proof. Owner of website droid-life got screwed and didn't get their full money refund because they said the phone was not fully factory reset when it was. Instead of getting $480 back they got $200 for no factory reset. That's pretty much BS.

Sorry to ask a random trade-in question here, but I don't think it warranted a whole new thread. So please pardon squeezing in here...

I have to send in my Pixel 5 trade in -- by the 21st it seems. Apparently it's very important to do so by this time or it doesn't "ensure its estimated value doesn’t change" 🤯 -- but it is rooted and the bootloader is unlocked. Of course I will/have to factory reset the device, but is that enough? Do you think Google will react unfavorably that it has that bootloader is unlocked warning powering up? So I'm thinking I might just relock the bootloader, but I've seen here that there are so many times relocking the bootloader & unticking the OEM unlock has resulted in full on bricking the device. So I'm also wondering if Google would react unfavorably as well if I returned to them a bricked device. I mean, most likely they only want the phone for parts and/or could easily replace the systemboard and get it working and in good shape (resellably used condition?). There are scuffs on the corners so that would need to be replaced anyways. But when I was ordering my P7P and set up the trade in, all they asked is if it turned on and if the screen is cracked...so I would assume that's all they cared about, right? Even bricked, the screen isn't cracked and it does power on...

What do you guys think?

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Sorry to ask a random trade-in question here, but I don't think it warranted a whole new thread. So please pardon squeezing in here...

I have to send in my Pixel 5 trade in -- by the 21st it seems. Apparently it's very important to do so by this time or it doesn't "ensure its estimated value doesn’t change" 🤯 -- but it is rooted and the bootloader is unlocked. Of course I will/have to factory reset the device, but is that enough? Do you think Google will react unfavorably that it has that bootloader is unlocked warning powering up? So I'm thinking I might just relock the bootloader, but I've seen here that there are so many times relocking the bootloader & unticking the OEM unlock has resulted in full on bricking the device. So I'm also wondering if Google would react unfavorably as well if I returned to them a bricked device. I mean, most likely they only want the phone for parts and/or could easily replace the systemboard and get it working and in good shape (resellably used condition?). There are scuffs on the corners so that would need to be replaced anyways. But when I was ordering my P7P and set up the trade in, all they asked is if it turned on and if the screen is cracked...so I would assume that's all they cared about, right? Even bricked, the screen isn't cracked and it does power on...

What do you guys think?
I would suggest using Android Flash Tool to go back to stock and relocking the bootloader. Choose wipe and lock bootloader in the options presented.

I would suggest using Android Flash Tool to go back to stock and relocking the bootloader. Choose wipe and lock bootloader in the options presented.
Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I was planning on doing if I was compelled to go that route. It seems a lot less scary than downloading the correct factory image, doing it through platform-tools with all the commands, locking it and crossing your fingers you didn't do something wrong.

But -- just wondering out of curiosity -- do you suggest this because you don't think Google will accept a device that's rooted and unlocked bootloader? Or do you think it will lower the value? I traded-in my Pixel 2 XL, they gave me $60 less than quoted, but never explained why; but I had a sneaking suspicion that it's because it had its bootloader unlocked -- I had the same concerns on returning a bricked phone.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I was planning on doing if I was compelled to go that route. It seems a lot less scary than downloading the correct factory image, doing it through platform-tools with all the commands, locking it and crossing your fingers you didn't do something wrong.

But -- just wondering out of curiosity -- do you suggest this because you don't think Google will accept a device that's rooted and unlocked bootloader? Or do you think it will lower the value? I traded-in my Pixel 2 XL, they gave me $60 less than quoted, but never explained why; but I had a sneaking suspicion that it's because it had its bootloader unlocked -- I had the same concerns on returning a bricked phone.
I suggest it because you have to factory reset anyway (which will unroot and wipe your phone) so might as well not give them any excuse not to give you a full trade-in value by locking the bootloader while you are at it. I don't think an unlocked bootloader will cause them to deny your trade-in as I'm pretty sure I've seen people trade-in with an unlocked bootloader and I don't believe it's written anywhere that your trade-in has to have an unlocked bootloader, only that it has to be factory reset, turn on, no cracks, no swollen battery, power button works, etc.. But personally I wouldn't give them any excuse to deny your trade-in. Remember, it's not Google who is determining your trade-in value, it's a person who works at Google and if you get the wrong person who for whatever reason is "stingy" about trade-ins, in a bad mood, or whatever, why give them any excuse?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    looks like you faired better than me. my trade in is "in transit" from that Nashville hub and Google says they don't have it. it's been over a week. it's making me nervous. it's a Galaxy Note20 Ultra. if they lose it I basically lost over $500
    I'm in the same boat. My Pixel 6 Pro has been in transit from the Nashville hub since the 21st as well. They offered me $600 trade in value. I did some searching and from what others have said Google will still give the trade in value they assesed as long as you have proof the phone was shipped. They will have to do a lost mail claim with USPS and that takes around 10 days. Reading that makes me fill a little better but I'm still nervous as hell.
    My two Pixel 6 Pros were stuck "Moving through Network" since early morning Friday, October 21st. They still both show that status with USPS tracking, but yesterday I got an email that the one had arrived, and the Google Store does show that they are accessing it. The second one, as of this morning, still hadn't arrived.

I've noticed with trade-ins that it's similar to some (not all) Amazon returns I've made. They give me a "shipping label", and have me drop it off at the post office. Then the tracking shows them not really going anywhere but handed off (I forget the exact terminology they use). It's like the post office doesn't really ship (or in the case of our phone trade-ins, deliver) in a normal fashion despite them looking like they do. As if the post office is just some central drop-off point. In Amazon return cases, I typically get an acknowledgment of the return is complete within 24 hours, but these device trade-ins are harrowing.

I chose trade-in instead of selling on Swappa because I figured the selling price of them would go down tremendously with all the people upgrading - and I believe I've confirmed it did happen that way.
    USPS still shows both my traded-in phones moving through the network. Meanwhile, Google has emailed acknowledgments that it has received both and assessed and refunded the full amount estimated on one of them.
    well then, got an email just now from Google. they have it but usps tracking still says in transit. o_O
    It took like 10 days and they finally got my Pixel 4a and I got $300 for it which I was happy because I got it on sale for that much originally. Lol...