Question Transfer from samsung to pixel 6 pro

Search This thread

hand-filer

Sep 21, 2021
Winnipeg, MB
Just ordered the 6pro. On my current samsung A71 5G, there was an app to transfer the data, files, apps from
my old phone to the sammy.
I didn't really find one, there were some apps but is there a sure fire way to transfer the apps, files etc from my
samsung, over to the pixel 6 pro, when I get it?

TIA
My preferred method is to transfer files from the old phone to my laptop and then transfer from there to the new phone. Then I gradually add the apps back over time starting with the most relevant.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I use Google's own built-in Android cloud backup option. When your new phone gets to the part where it suggests you plug your old phone into your new phone, you could do that - or tell it you don't have the old phone and then it will offer you the available cloud restores for your account.

Edit: I'm assuming your old phone isn't rooted, being a Samsung. Being rooted would give you all sorts of other options like Swift Backup, and Titanium Backup, and others, which when used on rooted phones could backup and restore more app data than any non-root solution.

Have fun with your new phone.

Reactions: Lughnasadh
I use Google's own built-in Android cloud backup option. When your new phone gets to the part where it suggests you plug your old phone into your new phone, you could do that - or tell it you don't have the old phone and then it will offer you the available cloud restores for your account.

Edit: I'm assuming your old phone isn't rooted, being a Samsung. Being rooted would give you all sorts of other options like Swift Backup, and Titanium Backup, and others, which when used on rooted phones could backup and restore more app data than any non-root solution.

Have fun with your new phone.

No, it's not rooted. Knox...
I just don't look forward to installing all the apps again. That's ONE thing I did like about the A71 and the samsung app that transferred everything from the old phone to the A71. SIMPLE.
(yeah, I'm gettin' old) LOL

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
No, it's not rooted. Knox...
I just don't look forward to installing all the apps again. That's ONE thing I did like about the A71 and the samsung app that transferred everything from the old phone to the A71. SIMPLE.
(yeah, I'm gettin' old) LOL
When I relatively briefly went back to Samsung (Note 10+) between my Pixel 1 and this 6 Pro, I used Samsung's app to transfer over cable what it could and I don't think it transferred any app data, only apps themselves. Google's cloud backup at least backs up and restores app data for apps that the developers have implemented that in.

I do miss LG's built-in non-root backup and restore function I had on the G3. It was almost as capable as root solutions - it got nearly every piece of app data. I was rooted anyway, but LG's solution was so good I only used Titanium Backup for apps that didn't restore app data via LG's tool.

Reactions: hand-filer

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Just ordered the 6pro. On my current samsung A71 5G, there was an app to transfer the data, files, apps from
I didn't really find one, there were some apps but is there a sure fire way to transfer the apps, files etc from my

TIA
There seems to have been a lot of people who had problems with their phone when they first got it because they transferred data, apps, etc., from another phone. Heard a lot of stories about when they clean installed everything the problems went away.

Not saying this will happen to you, but might want to think about clean installing everything initially just to avoid potential problems. Just an idea...

Last edited:

File4mat

Nov 5, 2010
Queen Creek, AZ
I dont know much about the A71 but I upgraded from a Samsung Note 10 to the 6 Pro and used the direct cable option. Inserted sim into the pixel, powered on and followed the screen prompts. It transferred everything EXCEPT some apps that came from the Galaxy store.

Even the files on my sd card were transferred to the pixels internal storage. Kept folder structures too. I have to say I was impressed that I didnt lose anything. Just had to replace Samsung apps with either Google or third party apps.

Reactions: p51d007
Used the included cable, got everything transferred, then all the apps that required to be updated by google.
The only "issue" I had was after putting in the sim card (at&t prepaid), I had no cell service. The at&t message
came up, connected me with a semi-English speaking person, told them what phone I was using and LOL, this
is what she said "The google pixel 6 pro is probably not compatible. I told her...ummm it just came out not
that long ago. After giving her my IMEI number, the model number of the phone, presto/jumbo/mumbo and
it started working.
LOL...not compatible. Reading from a script most likely. Also, she mentioned that it won't work on 3G
Gee, no kidding? LOL

fliptwister

May 12, 2010
I'm with the people that say do a clean install. I have ran into too many issues over the years transferring data, apps, media, etc. from my old phone. Also I have found that there were many apps on my old phone I never used. I got my P6P a week ago. Before I moved to the P6P I copied all photos, videos, downloads, text photos, and other stuff I needed from old phone to my computer. I'm not a huge fan of moving old texts to new phone but if you are (like my wife who has 6,000 texts she cannot live without :) use SMS Backup & Restore. In reality this is a good practice for me to backup. Not a big fan of only having only the cloud. Afer this I booted up P6P and logged into google. Contacts updated through Google. I essentially install other apps when I need them on my phone and move stuff from my computer backup to phone. This might sound old school but I don't like being dependent on cloud etc. when going to new phone. I want my own backup on everything. I also have found I run into less issues doing it this way.

OSNPA

Apr 13, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I did a full device transfer using the Samsung app from the Note 10 to the S21 recently and have been having issues with the S21 since. I'm sending it back and have the P6P on its way, and I intend to do a clean install to avoid app data giving me issues.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

TIA
    My preferred method is to transfer files from the old phone to my laptop and then transfer from there to the new phone. Then I gradually add the apps back over time starting with the most relevant.
    I'm with the people that say do a clean install. I have ran into too many issues over the years transferring data, apps, media, etc. from my old phone. Also I have found that there were many apps on my old phone I never used. I got my P6P a week ago. Before I moved to the P6P I copied all photos, videos, downloads, text photos, and other stuff I needed from old phone to my computer. I'm not a huge fan of moving old texts to new phone but if you are (like my wife who has 6,000 texts she cannot live without :) use SMS Backup & Restore. In reality this is a good practice for me to backup. Not a big fan of only having only the cloud. Afer this I booted up P6P and logged into google. Contacts updated through Google. I essentially install other apps when I need them on my phone and move stuff from my computer backup to phone. This might sound old school but I don't like being dependent on cloud etc. when going to new phone. I want my own backup on everything. I also have found I run into less issues doing it this way.
    Used the included cable, got everything transferred, then all the apps that required to be updated by google.
    The only "issue" I had was after putting in the sim card (at&t prepaid), I had no cell service. The at&t message
    came up, connected me with a semi-English speaking person, told them what phone I was using and LOL, this
    is what she said "The google pixel 6 pro is probably not compatible. I told her...ummm it just came out not
    that long ago. After giving her my IMEI number, the model number of the phone, presto/jumbo/mumbo and
    it started working.
    LOL...not compatible. Reading from a script most likely. Also, she mentioned that it won't work on 3G
    Gee, no kidding? LOL

TIA
    There seems to have been a lot of people who had problems with their phone when they first got it because they transferred data, apps, etc., from another phone. Heard a lot of stories about when they clean installed everything the problems went away.

Not saying this will happen to you, but might want to think about clean installing everything initially just to avoid potential problems. Just an idea...

TIA