Question Transfer mp3 files from Windows computer to P6P?

Search This thread

gmfeld

Mar 13, 2008
Boston
I can no longer transfer mp3 files from my Windows computer to my P6P. I have moved plenty of music to internal storage, but now can no longer get anything over. Only the album folder shows up, but no contents. I believe I am doing everything correct with the USB cable, connecting and then selecting file transfer. This is a new development. Any suggestions? Very frustrated.

Gytole

Aug 7, 2013
I can no longer transfer mp3 files from my Windows computer to my P6P. I have moved plenty of music to internal storage, but now can no longer get anything over. Only the album folder shows up, but no contents. I believe I am doing everything correct with the USB cable, connecting and then selecting file transfer. This is a new development. Any suggestions? Very frustrated.
Is it showing up under my my computer? Like as a drive "C, D, etc"

gmfeld

Mar 13, 2008
Boston
Yes, I see the Pixel internal storage in file manager, and all the music folders already there. Now when I try to transfer an album the new folder shows up but none of the mp3 files. Even when I then try to transfer the files individually

Gytole

Aug 7, 2013
Yes, I see the Pixel internal storage in file manager, and all the music folders already there. Now when I try to transfer an album the new folder shows up but none of the mp3 files. Even when I then try to transfer the files individually
Question, are you transferring then unplugging to check if they transferred? Sometimes windows and android have a hard time communicating...this is jokingly called the "middle school dance" where both see each other but both don't make the first move to update what has been done.

Sometimes I transfer stuff but windows explorer never updates what has actually transferred.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Absolutely what @Gytole said. And it's not just Windows' built-in File Explorer. Other programs like GPSoftware's Directory Opus also have the same problem with views of the phone's storage across MTP.

@gmfeld Have you checked on the phone itself if you can see the files that you think you copied recently?

Try rebooting - both the phone and the computer?

gmfeld

Mar 13, 2008
Boston
I've rebooted my phone and computer and have tried every way I can think of. Four out of 20 files were transferred to my phone internal storage and I cannot get the rest of the mp3 files of the same album to copy over. This must be new to me with the latest update.

• Wow
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I've rebooted my phone and computer and have tried every way I can think of. Four out of 20 files were transferred to my phone internal storage and I cannot get the rest of the mp3 files of the same album to copy over. This must be new to me with the latest update.
I'll set a reminder for myself tomorrow to do some tests on my own Pixel 6 Pro. I've previously copied several hundred gigabytes of FLAC and MP3 files to my P6P, but that was many months ago.

Reactions: Gytole

Gytole

Aug 7, 2013
I'm almost willing to bet it's a driver issue. Windows is NOTORIOUS for "Hey! I see you're working but let's go ahead and install a different driver cause I want to piss you off."

Legit happened to me after I updated Evo to version 3 yesterday. I went into the bootloader, updated the rom, and when I went to copy over the boot.img there was no "Picel 6 pro" in explorer...I had to open device manager and choose the middle MTP driver from the "choose from list" to get it to see my P6P again 🙄makes me wanna freakin hit a baby sometimes.

Reactions: Rescue9

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. I also already have a lot on there, this is something new for me.
I was about to do the test, but was having some problems with MTP seeing the contents of a very deep folder structure of some of my FLAC files (which already exist on my P6P's internal storage), and then I remembered that actually, when I copy large amounts of and/or large sizes of files, I do so through an intermediary - usually a MicroSD card through a simple non-powered USB-C hub (using X-Plore File Manager).

Now that I've reminded myself of that, I don't even want to attempt to do the same kind of thing through MTP. It's painful and actually takes longer than copying to a MicroSD card first. Figures, eh?

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013
This seems to be more common when the stock USB C to USB C cable that was included with the phone is not used. Granted, very few people have a USB C port on their computer right now, haha.

Anyway, I would have issues making 60GB video file transfers onto my phone - not because the phone wasn't showing up - but because the file transfer process would just randomly close explorer.exe on Windows after transferring a few files. Once I started using the stock USB C to C cable, this issue stopped occuring (and the transfers were much faster).

But, of course, if Windows isn't even detecting your phone you may have to install the Google Pixel USB driver (and also be sure to enable file transfer on your phone when you connect it to the computer).

Last edited:

gmfeld

Mar 13, 2008
Boston
So it's not an issue with my phone, as I'm able to transfer mp3 files from my work Windows computer to my P6P using a stock (non-Google) cable. Could it be some setting on my home Windows computer?

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
So it's not an issue with my phone, as I'm able to transfer mp3 files from my work Windows computer to my P6P using a stock (non-Google) cable. Could it be some setting on my home Windows computer?
It's a driver issue on your computer. Remove the driver (uninstall it from device manager), restart computer and let it reinstall.

Don't install Google USB drivers since that's for USB debugging/fastboot. Let windows install the driver by itself.

If that doesn't work, there was a post someone made recently that shows how to reinstall the default windows driver, here.

Last edited:

Nergal di Cuthah

Sep 20, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Use Spotify, Deezer, Tidal, last FM, Pandora, YouTube music, apple music, etc etc
Mp3 files usually are ilegal
I think you mean usually illegal, which is of course nonsense. I only use local file and get them from amazon (and formerly emusic). I hate streaming because the ads (though youtube music inserts those in local file too) and data required

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Question, are you transferring then unplugging to check if they transferred? Sometimes windows and android have a hard time communicating...this is jokingly called the "middle school dance" where both see each other but both don't make the first move to update what has been done.

Sometimes I transfer stuff but windows explorer never updates what has actually transferred.
    Yes I checked my phone after unplugging. Weird, the last time I tried 4 files transferred out of 20. I rebooted my phone I will try rebooting my computer
    I'll set a reminder for myself tomorrow to do some tests on my own Pixel 6 Pro. I've previously copied several hundred gigabytes of FLAC and MP3 files to my P6P, but that was many months ago.
    Thanks. I also already have a lot on there, this is something new for me.