• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[TREE] Need help creating the Honor 7 device tree.

Search This thread

DigiGoon

NEED HELP

Hello guys, I'm working on a generic tree for our beloved device Honor 7, but not getting enough success, so each and every of you are invited to help me create a new device tree for AOSP 5.1 ROM or CM 12.1, so that we can taste the Stock Android too.
The benefits of these ROMs are that the device will get more fast and stable as there will be minimum apps and bloatwares installed.
So, it is a humble request, that whosoever have any knowledge about creating a tree from scratch please help me. :)
I have created a skeleton of the tree but it is not a success too as there are many things we still have to consider.

@sminki and @kenshiwara, we will setup an organization on GitHub so everyone can contribute there only.

Last edited:

sminki

Feb 18, 2012
hard shoulders of reality
Sorry mate. You haven't seen my troubles over the last few weeks then :confused:
After my H7 'died', I got a warranty replacement phone, and unlocking was proving impossible, each day was bringing more frustration and anger so i've sold it!
That's it, i'm out of the "honor" business for good (hence the "unsupported" bit on the recovery and kernel threads), but as a parting "gift", here's a few things that may help "the cause".

Sorry, the length of this post got out of control! :silly:

device tree starting point:

https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_huawei_p8 - it's similar enough, that with a little editing and boom, we had our recovery* ;)
https://github.com/debbiche/android_device_huawei_p8 - another fuller "tree" (wip), again the p8 is similar enough to use as a base
https://github.com/Gibbon99/android_device_huawei_hwgemini - mediapad x2 - another kirin​

if you're insane, you could get the dtb files (iirc - i got these from compiling the source) and decompile, but this contains EVERYTHING, theses files are huge, many hundred kb and would take days to get the info out you need (if there is any!)

cm
have a look at codeworkx H6 git, it's the closest device you'll find that has CM actually running on it, albeit CM11 (and abandoned!)

other things:
osm0sis' kitchen out of the many boot image unpack/repack tools, this worked the best with huawei boot/recovery images
* with this in mind, anyone running Linux can pull apart my recovery, fix the issues in default.prop, add extra partitions to fstab and repack it. then post it for everyone else to use. :cool:

with the sh!tty way fastboot is on these phones, and the way modem binaries get patched, you're going to have to look for a way to write these in recovery (scripted with dd i imagine) so that everyone can use without having the ballache that is B100,B121,B140 etc etc to get to a version that will work with your ROM. this for me is where it's all going to hurt! (and end with bricks!)

final thing - the kernel source is terrible, it is so far removed from AOSP that simple things that you could normally just drop in, like cpu governors won't work. unless you really know C++ and how to debug it's gonna be near stock (like mine funnily enough!)

Good luck chaps :good: it's gonna be a hell of a ride!

Last edited:

DigiGoon

Sorry mate. You haven't seen my troubles over the last few weeks then :confused:
After my H7 'died', I got a warranty replacement phone, and unlocking was proving impossible, each day was bringing more frustration and anger so i've sold it!
That's it, i'm out of the "honor" business for good (hence the "unsupported" bit on the recovery and kernel threads), but as a parting "gift", here's a few things that may help "the cause".

https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_huawei_p8 - it's similar enough, that with a little editing and boom, we had our recovery* ;)
https://github.com/debbiche/android_device_huawei_p8 - another fuller "tree" (wip), again the p8 is similar enough to use as a base
https://github.com/Gibbon99/android_device_huawei_hwgemini - mediapad x2 - another kirin​

if you're insane, you could get the dtb files (iirc - i got these from compiling the source) and decompile, but this contains EVERYTHING, theses files are huge, many hundred kb and would take days to get the info out you need (if there is any!)

cm
have a look at codeworkx H6 git, it's the closest device you'll find that has CM actually running on it, albeit CM11 (and abandoned!)

other things:
osm0sis' kitchen out of the many boot image unpack/repack tools, this worked the best with huawei boot/recovery images
* with this in mind, anyone running Linux can pull apart my recovery, fix the issues in default.prop, add extra partitions to fstab and repack it. then post it for everyone else to use. :cool:

with the sh!tty way fastboot is on these phones, and the way modem binaries get patched, you're going to have to look for a way to write these in recovery (scripted with dd i imagine) so that everyone can use without having the ballache that is B100,B121,B140 etc etc to get to a version that will work with your ROM. this for me is where it's all going to hurt! (and end with bricks!)

final thing - the kernel source is terrible, it is so far removed from AOSP that simple things that you could normally just drop in, like cpu governors won't work. unless you really know C++ and how to debug it's gonna be near stock (like mine funnily enough!)

Thanks, this will help enough :D ;) and I was not aware of your troubles :) :D

Last edited:

asiekierka

Jun 14, 2007
I got a device tree working with CM12.1 and USB debugging, but Mali was a showstopper. Now I'm fighting with CM13 instead... Generally, the B313 ROM is far less hacky, but we lose the open source kernel for a while until they release one.

I will set up a GitHub tree with what I have when I get CM13 compiling again, however keep in mind that you need to patch the boot.img manually to use the closed-source B313 kernel until Huawei releases the source for that, which probably won't happen at the very least until it's fully in OTA. I'd love some help from someone who is more experienced, especially with the Mali drivers which are the worst of pains.

EDIT: I got CM13 compiling again. Let's hope for the best.

EDIT2: Mali works! Sadly, that currently depends on Huawei's libgui.so which brings in a huge chunk of Huawei's patched libraries - otherwise, it segfaults in strange places. Any ideas?

Last edited:

DigiGoon

I got a device tree working with CM12.1 and USB debugging, but Mali was a showstopper. Now I'm fighting with CM13 instead... Generally, the B313 ROM is far less hacky, but we lose the open source kernel for a while until they release one.

I will set up a GitHub tree with what I have when I get CM13 compiling again, however keep in mind that you need to patch the boot.img manually to use the closed-source B313 kernel until Huawei releases the source for that, which probably won't happen at the very least until it's fully in OTA. I'd love some help from someone who is more experienced, especially with the Mali drivers which are the worst of pains.

EDIT2: Mali works! Sadly, that currently depends on Huawei's libgui.so which brings in a huge chunk of Huawei's patched libraries - otherwise, it segfaults in strange places. Any ideas?

Hello, did any of the CM compiled fully to be a flashable zip? if yes, then have you flashed it and took logcat? :)

Reactions: cycovision

cycovision

Nov 26, 2008
Bregenz
Since it has been a while that any Info came out of this thread I have to ask.. Is anyone still working the tree?
I normaly do not ask for etas but in this case it would be useful if the thread is abandoned that we could know the reasons and Problems so maybe someone else could join in with a different approach :)

DigiGoon

Since it has been a while that any Info came out of this thread I have to ask.. Is anyone still working the tree?
I normaly do not ask for etas but in this case it would be useful if the thread is abandoned that we could know the reasons and Problems so maybe someone else could join in with a different approach :)

I'm a bit busy to continue my work on the tree, but after my exams I will continue to work on tree with Android 6.0 source. Hope it goes well. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NEED HELP

Hello guys, I'm working on a generic tree for our beloved device Honor 7, but not getting enough success, so each and every of you are invited to help me create a new device tree for AOSP 5.1 ROM or CM 12.1, so that we can taste the Stock Android too.
    The benefits of these ROMs are that the device will get more fast and stable as there will be minimum apps and bloatwares installed.
    So, it is a humble request, that whosoever have any knowledge about creating a tree from scratch please help me. :)
    I have created a skeleton of the tree but it is not a success too as there are many things we still have to consider.

@sminki and @kenshiwara, we will setup an organization on GitHub so everyone can contribute there only.

cm

other things:

Thanks, this will help enough :D ;) and I was not aware of your troubles :) :D
    Can we get a kitkat rom if your work with the device tree is done ? I really do miss kitkat[emoji20]

Sent from my PLK-TL01H using XDA-Developers mobile app

I will be developing AOSP 6.0, if others can give it a try then maybe we can get it. :D

I'm a bit busy to continue my work on the tree, but after my exams I will continue to work on tree with Android 6.0 source. Hope it goes well. :)