Tronsmart Latest Quick Charge 3.0 USB Turbo Wall Charger Now Available $29.99

Search This thread

gheymann

Feb 4, 2009
If you guys have been waiting for a quick charge 3.0 compatible charger, the Tronsmart Quick Charger 3.0 which will be be compatible with the A9 is now available on Amazon:

http://goo.gl/vb4Ryl

Featured with the latest Charging Technology Quick Charge 3.0, 27% faster than Quick Charge 2.0.
38% most efficient compare to the previous generation Quick Charge 2.0
Decrease the extra heat of the compatible phone upto 45%
Backwards compatible with Quick Charge 2.0 & Quick Charge 1.0
Package Content:1 x Tronsmart Quick Charge 3.0 Wall Charger, 1 x Quick Charge 3.0 Charging Cable, 1 x Warranty Card.

Attachments

• 61AW98o+ixL._SL1500_.jpg
    61AW98o+ixL._SL1500_.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 620

gheymann

Feb 4, 2009

I saw the Aukey 3.0 charger it became available a day or two after the Tronsmart charger. I have an Aukey qc 2.0 wall and car charger which are both excellent. I went ahead and ordered the Tronsmart charger I listed which is also qc 2.0/1.0 compatible, I should have it tomorrow. I wanted to compare the build quality between them.

Both have proven track records so more than likely either one will be a safe bet regardless of which one you choose. I'll post a follow up once I receive it!

thisisjason

Nov 13, 2014
I saw the Aukey 3.0 charger it became available a day or two after the Tronsmart charger. I have an Aukey qc 2.0 wall and car charger which are both excellent. I went ahead and ordered the Tronsmart charger I listed which is also qc 2.0/1.0 compatible, I should have it tomorrow. I wanted to compare the build quality between them.

Both have proven track records so more than likely either one will be a safe bet regardless of which one you choose. I'll post a follow up once I receive it!

Looking forward to your thoughts on it. I have a Tronsmart QC 2.0 car charger, very good quality.

I also noticed that the Tronsmart includes a longer USB cable, which is nice.

haic

Mar 1, 2014

How about the build quality between them? Any update?:confused:

gheymann

Feb 4, 2009
How about the build quality between them? Any update?:confused:

Hi
The Tronsmart qc 3.0 charger is very solidly built and smaller than I expected, it is close to the same size as my Aukey 2.0 quickcharger although it feels slightly bigger in the hand due to the the defined edges while the Aukey is rounded on either side and relatively flat on top and bottom.

I don't have any qc 3.0 devices at this point to be able to give a comparison of charge times between the qc 3.0 and 2.0 charging, although I don't have any reason to doubt the quoted specs since the qc 2.0 times have proven to be correct over time.

I will say that anecdotally there does seem to be a little bit of a difference when charging a qc 2.0 phone with the Tronsmart 3.0 charger, and that is that it seems to take slightly longer to charge the phone when compared with the Aukey 2.0 charger but the phone doesn't seem to get as warm when quick charging.

This wasn't a scientific test just a general observation, so your mileage may vary, I hope this is helpful. I can say that I wouldn't have any problem recommending Tronsmart or Aukey chargers going forward they have similar specs and are both priced competitively.

I cancelled my HTC one a9 pre-order after the shipping was delayed, so I'm not sure when I will have a qc 3.0 device to test it with.

hyudryu

Oct 24, 2011
Just bought the Tronsmart QC 3.0 and it came today, and Quickcharge 3.0 isn't as fast as I expected it to be... I got home from work and did a little experiment, Phone was at 6%, and as I plugged it in, I set a timer. 32 minutes into charging, my phone (HTC One A9) was only at 43%. Much slower than I expected... 37% in 32 minutes, nowhere near the advertised speed of 85% in 35 minutes on a 3300mAh battery. Airplane mode was also turned on while charging.

Would not recommend. :(

Last edited:

appleli1

Nov 10, 2015
Just bought the Tronsmart QC 3.0 and it came today, and Quickcharge 3.0 isn't as fast as I expected it to be... I got home from work and did a little experiment, Phone was at 6%, and as I plugged it in, I set a timer. 32 minutes into charging, my phone (HTC One A9) was only at 43%. Much slower than I expected... 37% in 32 minutes, nowhere near the advertised speed of 85% in 35 minutes on a 3300mAh battery. Airplane mode was also turned on while charging.

I have read some news that the early version of HTC One A9 just comes with QC2.0 support, but a future software update will bring the QC3.0.

hyudryu

Oct 24, 2011
I have read some news that the early version of HTC One A9 just comes with QC2.0 support, but a future software update will bring the QC3.0.

Even at qc 2.0 speeds, it shouldn't be charging at around 1% every minute right? or am I wrong. When I saw the quick charge statistics of 60% in 30 minutes, I imagined around 2% a minute

Reactions: dreko2000

appleli1

Nov 10, 2015
Even at qc 2.0 speeds, it shouldn't be charging at around 1% every minute right? or am I wrong. When I saw the quick charge statistics of 60% in 30 minutes, I imagined around 2% a minute
That fast charge 0-60% in 30 min is the test done by qualcomm in the lab. Actually there will be some errors between different devices which support QC 2.0 technology.:)

yosef019

Dec 18, 2012
Haifa

Do you have that usb mah meter i have one and lg g4 charge at 9v 1.35A while note 5 9v 1.65a so its up to deive manufacture get the voltage done and qualcom test is at max qc2.0 speeds thats 12v 1.5a or more? thats double the 9v charging so yea 2% per min

hyudryu

Oct 24, 2011
Do you have that usb mah meter i have one and lg g4 charge at 9v 1.35A while note 5 9v 1.65a so its up to deive manufacture get the voltage done and qualcom test is at max qc2.0 speeds thats 12v 1.5a or more? thats double the 9v charging so yea 2% per min

No I don't have a current meter that can measure USB currents. It's only 1% a minute when charging my phone. Quick charge is way too hyped up.

Cashreedhar

Nov 19, 2011
New York
I always look into verified purchaser ratings in amazon while buying anything. I found the following Quick Charge 3.0 which (brands) are listed in qualcomm website (website doesn't have 3.0 listing of accessories, but these manufacturers of accessories are found:
1. JDB Quick Charge 3.0 18W USB - $26.99 (61 customers - 5stars) - http://www.amazon.com/Qualcomm-JDB-...860&sr=1-6&keywords=qualcomm+quick+charge+3.0
2. Anker PowerPort+ 1 (Quick Charge 3.0 18W USB Wall Charger) - $25.99 (45 customers - 5 stars) - http://www.amazon.com/Qualcomm-Anke...860&sr=1-1&keywords=qualcomm+quick+charge+3.0

I am still waiting on my HTC A9 pre-order to be delivered, would pick any of these. If anyone bought either of these please give me your opinions on these. By the way, has A9 received the update that would support quick charge 3.0 yet (it was told that, the new s/w update later in the year would support QC 3.0)

Edit: Also found this one for $15, and it says qualcomm quick charge 3.0. Looks very cost effective, but none of the review highlight on QC 3.0. Did anyone try this? http://www.newnow.com/products/tc-0...INWCtxjqipuNSxwZhGJVeE3T1EaAjWI8P8HAQ#proDesc

Last edited:

eelpout

Aug 19, 2007

I bought this same charger too and I'm with you, doesn't seem any faster that my regular charger. the Anker 3.0 wasn't listed (or I missed it) when I ordered the Transmart or I would have ordered that one instead.

i'll check the voltage & amps in GSam next time I charge to see what it says.

CarinaPDX

Jun 30, 2013
Google Pixel 5a
I bought the JDB QC 3.0 charger on eBay from China for $18 (also available on AliExpress for $14). It seems like a good deal and good quality if one can be patient.

I do wish those of you posting performance comments would hold your water until your phone actually supports version 3.0; until then the 3.0 chargers aren't likely to be any faster with 2.0 phones (e.g. the A9 with current firmware).

FWIW the 3.0 spec defines charge voltages every 0.2V from 3.6V (some places say 3.2V) all the way up to 20V. That does not mean that all chargers offer this range, or that all devices can use these voltages (the phone determines which of the available voltages to use through time). The 2.0 spec only had a few charge voltages to choose from so the more granular voltage choices with 3.0 should be a win for all devices. All of the chargers mentioned so far offer a top voltage of 12V at 1.5A (compared to HTC's 2.0 max of 12V at 1.25A). At 9V there is 2A available (compared to 1.67A for 2.0). In the range around 5V the different products list different currents between 2A and 3A but at this stage I suspect the spec differences are probably not real (2.0 is 1.67A for comparison). So potentially 3.0 can provide up to 20% more current than 2.0 across the voltage range. In practice the greatest benefit will be to devices with large batteries (i.e. not A9) as they can absorb charge faster - it is quite possible that the A9 will not benefit from the higher available currents at all (but still benefit from the smaller voltage steps). I look forward to getting real world measurements.

Greg

hyudryu

Oct 24, 2011
I bought the JDB QC 3.0 charger on eBay from China for $18 (also available on AliExpress for $14). It seems like a good deal and good quality if one can be patient.

I do wish those of you posting performance comments would hold your water until your phone actually supports version 3.0; until then the 3.0 chargers aren't likely to be any faster with 2.0 phones (e.g. the A9 with current firmware).

FWIW the 3.0 spec defines charge voltages every 0.2V from 3.6V (some places say 3.2V) all the way up to 20V. That does not mean that all chargers offer this range, or that all devices can use these voltages (the phone determines which of the available voltages to use through time). The 2.0 spec only had a few charge voltages to choose from so the more granular voltage choices with 3.0 should be a win for all devices. All of the chargers mentioned so far offer a top voltage of 12V at 1.5A (compared to HTC's 2.0 max of 12V at 1.25A). At 9V there is 2A available (compared to 1.67A for 2.0). In the range around 5V the different products list different currents between 2A and 3A but at this stage I suspect the spec differences are probably not real (2.0 is 1.67A for comparison). So potentially 3.0 can provide up to 20% more current than 2.0 across the voltage range. In practice the greatest benefit will be to devices with large batteries (i.e. not A9) as they can absorb charge faster - it is quite possible that the A9 will not benefit from the higher available currents at all (but still benefit from the smaller voltage steps). I look forward to getting real world measurements.

Greg

I just did a little experiment with my HTC one a9 and my old iphone 6. I used both till they are the same battery level (16%), and (With airplane mode on for both devices) I plugged my HTC to the tronsmart qc 3.0 adapter, and my iphone into the HTC charger that came in the box. A little while later, I checked the percentages and they were exactly the same. Either my HTC is charging at conventional speeds, or the iPhone charges at the same speed as Qc 2.0 (Roughly 1% every minute), Never owned a Qc 2.0 device so not sure if that's the normal speed... Anyone have any input on this?

CarinaPDX

Jun 30, 2013
Google Pixel 5a
It's not just comparing apples and oranges, there are multiple differences: battery capacity, age, and charging regimens available in both phones and chargers. I don't see any comparability. As for charging regimens, the new A9 is a QC 2.0 device (for now) charging on a QC 3.0 charger, which means the CPU will only request voltages that are available in QC 2.0 and only with slightly higher amperage available from the charger (which may not even be usable with the A9's small battery). So I expect little or no improvement over a QC 2.0 charger. We will have to wait for a test of QC 3.0. The iPhone uses Apple's own charging regimen, which usually doesn't charge fast unless connected to an Apple charger, or one able to act like one. I suspect the QC chargers have that ability, as it is increasingly common, so the question is how much current is available in the charger for the Qualcomm implementation of the Apple protocol?

I think the identical charging times is just an accident.

Cashreedhar

Nov 19, 2011
New York
I just did a little experiment with my HTC one a9 and my old iphone 6. I used both till they are the same battery level (16%), and (With airplane mode on for both devices) I plugged my HTC to the tronsmart qc 3.0 adapter, and my iphone into the HTC charger that came in the box. A little while later, I checked the percentages and they were exactly the same. Either my HTC is charging at conventional speeds, or the iPhone charges at the same speed as Qc 2.0 (Roughly 1% every minute), Never owned a Qc 2.0 device so not sure if that's the normal speed... Anyone have any input on this?

If you owned any HTC Phone since One M8 series, all of them came with QC 2.0 charger, including the A9 bundled charger

Last edited:

hyudryu

Oct 24, 2011
If you owned any HTC Phone since One M8 series, all of them came with QC 2.0 charger, including the A9 bundled charger

So you're saying that QC 2.0 is supposed to charge at 1% every minute? That's very slow compared to Qualcomm's advertised speeds. And if the iPhone 6 charges at the same speed as the HTC One A9, then does that means the iPhone supports QC 2.0? I find that weird because Apple's specs say nothing about quick charging.
2c52c5f33a347ad1a11bd1e49aea11d1.png

Last edited:

Cashreedhar

Nov 19, 2011
New York
So you're saying that QC 2.0 is supposed to charge at 1% every minute? That's very slow compared to Qualcomm's advertised speeds. And if the iPhone 6 charges at the same speed as the HTC One A9, then does that means the iPhone supports QC 2.0? I find that weird because Apple's specs say nothing about quick charging.
2c52c5f33a347ad1a11bd1e49aea11d1.png

I am not sure if it is 1% per minute. My M8 charges 70% in an hour. QC 2.0 is the technology of qualcomm and nothing to do with Apple. Apple doesn't use the the qualcomm technology but they have their own, and advanced Apple iPhones have charging capacity similar to QC 2.0 . QC 3.0 is going to be the new technogy when qualcomm makes it available through HTC update, which we are expecting to be a great upgrade (which is not available on A9 yet, though the hardware is all set to do that)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    htc never included fast charger in the box, as far as I know
    I owned M7, 8, 9 and now A9 and never received QC 2.0 charger with any of these

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    If you guys have been waiting for a quick charge 3.0 compatible charger, the Tronsmart Quick Charger 3.0 which will be be compatible with the A9 is now available on Amazon:

http://goo.gl/vb4Ryl

Featured with the latest Charging Technology Quick Charge 3.0, 27% faster than Quick Charge 2.0.
    38% most efficient compare to the previous generation Quick Charge 2.0
    Decrease the extra heat of the compatible phone upto 45%
    Backwards compatible with Quick Charge 2.0 & Quick Charge 1.0
    Package Content:1 x Tronsmart Quick Charge 3.0 Wall Charger, 1 x Quick Charge 3.0 Charging Cable, 1 x Warranty Card.

From my testing the QC 3.0 charger, in QC 2.0 mode, is maybe 25% faster than a high current USB charger. I haven't done the time testing because it is of little practical matter: if I have a QC charger handy then that is preferable but otherwise the phone does a good job of using a 2.4A USB charger.

I suspect what is tripping up folks is the need to have a proper USB data cable - not charge cable - which is relatively short with large gauge wires. All high speed charging regimens use the USB data lines to coordinate charging; there are different protocols used (Apple is a big outlier) and not all phone/charger combinations work quickly. Some USB charge cables do not include the data lines, and several of the USB voltmeter/ammeter units can block the data lines, resulting in slow charging. Thin wires are resistive and reduce the voltage seen at the phone, so get (short) large wires (low numerical gauge) for charging.

Given an adequate charger with appropriate protocols the limiting factor in charging is the ability of the battery to absorb charge. At 5V (normal USB) that appears to be about 0.75W for the A9 (5V*1.5A=7.5W). With the 9V available with QC protocols that appears to be about 1.1W (9V*1.2A=1.1W). The higher voltage is capable of forcing a faster charge rate, but not by a huge amount. The fact that the charger is capable of providing higher current is irrelevant: the phone will simply not draw that much current because the battery can't absorb the energy that fast. Higher currents may be seen if the phone is also consuming power for the display and processing, but that is not affecting the charge rate.

If this is a bit much, then just consider that a basic high current USB charger works just fine. The one that HTC includes with the A9 is rated at 5V/1.5A, which is as much as my A9 can use with the basic high current USB protocol. Buying a QC 2.0 charger will give a faster charge, but not dramatically so - hardly worth replacing the basic charger but a good choice if you need a new one. And QC 3.0 is currently vaporware so no need to speculate - if buying a new charger it is worth considering as a hedge on future developments.

If the A9's QC 2.0 charging doesn't appear as fast as on other phones, it may be due to HTC's programming of the feature - or not. It is very difficult to know, as there are other influences such as the specific battery used. But why worry? Just enjoy the great phone, and consider planning ahead for charging instead of needing to jam a charge into it to get through the day.

Greg
    The "high speed USB cable" is meaningless as far as charging goes. Look for the actual size of the power carrying wires inside: Tronsmart and Anker offer cables that have 20AWG power wires - much larger than normal - and will thus have less resistance and voltage drop. This matters especially for the 5V chargers; with 9V the current required to charge at the same rate as 5V is little more than half so suffers less from the resistance.

Until recently the USB specifications have required 5V only, and all devices start with the expectation of 5V on both ends. Only if both the phone and charger negotiate a higher voltage will the charger switch up (otherwise there would be a lot of damaged phones out there). Using a standard high power USB charger (5V, 2.1-2.4A) a phone charging at 10W would need 2A (10W/5V=2A). When using a QC 2.0/3.0 charger that negotiates 9V with the A9 the same 10W rate would only need 1.1A; the A9 is never going to be able to accept a charge rate of 2A at 9V - and it doesn't need to. In practice as I wrote previously the 5V charging is only happening at approx. 7.5W, or about 1.5A, and again this is largely the result of the battery - and particularly the fact that it is much smaller than other phone batteries so has a lower charge acceptance rate, but not longer charge times.

Greg