• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Troubleshooting random reboot problems on S2 exynos5433 tablet ONLY discussion for users running any version of Android 10

Search This thread

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
The gnss hwbinder patch have been incorporated into the Aug 25 17.1 builds.

Please take 10 minutes to read all of post #1 and #2. DO NOT USE this thread to report any other problems, it's only for troubleshooting random reboots or reboots into TWRP for S2 exynos5433 tablet users. If this is unreasonable, then stop reading. Thank you.

If you cannot provide the logs below, please do not participate in this thread. Thank you.

I will take a look at all logs uploaded. The more the better to help find root cause or causes.

At this point, I have no solution to fix random reboots, but gathering data that might help narrow down which app or process is causing this.

Instructions

1. If you are experiencing random reboot or reboot into TWRP, you MUST supply tombstone logs. It's super easy and simple to do. Connect your device to PC using micro usb cable.

Make sure adb debugging is enabled in developer options. To enable developer options, tap settings, about tablet, build number 7 times until it says developer options unlocked. Go back to settings, system, advanced, developer options, enable android debugging and rooted debugging.

Bash:
adb root
adb shell
cd data/tombstones
ls -al
# if you see files tombstone_00, tombstone_01, etc then
exit
mkdir t
cd t
adb pull data/tombstones/

Zip all the files and upload here. Alternatively, you can send me the zipped logs via xda PM.

2. The better log would be adb logcat of the problem (random reboot, stuck at boot animation due to random restart) that just happened or happening.
Bash:
adb logcat > crash.txt
# wait 30 seconds then hit ctrl-c to stop capture

Please zip the .txt file before uploading. For some reason, I cannot see .txt files here.

FAQ

Q1. When will this random reboot be solved?
A1. Set your expectations that it will never be solved. At this point, I'm only gathering data to try and help. There may never be a fix if it's due to a proprietary Samsung blob that can never be updated. DO NOT ask when or if this can be fixed. It is not productive and I will completely ignore the question. Thank you.

Q2. Will you provide updates?
A2. I will only provide updates if I think we have found a solution. Otherwise, assume I'm not working on this problem because like you, I have other responsibilities and interests in life.

Q3. What will you do with the logs?
A3. I will look at every uploaded log and try to find a common pattern among them. If I find something that I think it's worth reporting, then I will post it here. If I need more information, I will revise the instructions and ask for more.

Q4. Why are you doing this?
A4. Let me be clear. I'm not experiencing any random reboots myself, I'm just trying to help if I can. The more logs you can provide, the more likely we can narrow down the problem. No logs from the commuity means the random reboot problems will never be fixed.

Let me be clear again, DO NOT ask when or if this can be fixed. Thank you.

Last edited:

Yogi555

Jul 21, 2021
Hi @retiredtab,
thanks for your offer to analyze the crash-logs!

I'm using a T810 Tab (gts210wifi) and are experiencing random reboots since updating to lineage-17.1 (ripee).
The reboots itself are of different types:
1) Stuck at bootanimation - only exit by three-button-reset.
2) Reboot to unlock-screen, but after unlock-code endless other unlock-screens come up - only exit by three-button-reset.
3) Reboot to unlock-screen, but after unlock-code the screen is empty and after some time (few minutes) it resets and ends in the same sequence - only exit by three-button-reset.
4) Reboot to unlock-screen, everything ok after unlocking.

For most of the reboots it was my observation, that there was an event, which did wakeup the tablet from deeper sleep (plugin to charger, switching on the screen, alarm, ...).
That caused me to write a small Tasker-app profile, which is pinging my dns-server all 2mins (to prevent a deeper sleep). With that profile active I did not experience any reboot for at least 2 months. Before that I had about one reboot per day.

To support your analysis, I disabled that Tasker-profile and the reboots are back.
During the last 24hours I had two reboots of type 4, and I was capturing the logcat and tombstones afterwards.

Looking into the captured data I got the impression that it might contain sensitive data (found my server-names, calender-events and so on) so I'm unsure if it can contain even more sensitive data like login-information or wifi-passwords.
So I'm hesitating to upload them to this public forum.
Would you agree to receive the zipped logs by PM instead?

lpedia

Sep 18, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
HTC 10
I'm using a T810 Tab (gts210wifi) and are experiencing random reboots since updating to lineage-17.1 (ripee).
The reboots itself are of different types:
1) Stuck at bootanimation - only exit by three-button-reset.
2) Reboot to unlock-screen, but after unlock-code endless other unlock-screens come up - only exit by three-button-reset.
3) Reboot to unlock-screen, but after unlock-code the screen is empty and after some time (few minutes) it resets and ends in the same sequence - only exit by three-button-reset.
4) Reboot to unlock-screen, everything ok after unlocking.

For most of the reboots it was my observation, that there was an event, which did wakeup the tablet from deeper sleep (plugin to charger, switching on the screen, alarm, ...).
That caused me to write a small Tasker-app profile, which is pinging my dns-server all 2mins (to prevent a deeper sleep). With that profile active I did not experience any reboot for at least 2 months. Before that I had about one reboot per day.

To support your analysis, I disabled that Tasker-profile and the reboots are back.
During the last 24hours I had two reboots of type 4, and I was capturing the logcat and tombstones afterwards.
Hi, @Yogi555.

Your reboot types 2 and 3 are interesting - I haven't seen them happen with my device. I only get types 1 and (occasionally) 4.

And type 5: reboot to TWRP. On my device this has happened more often than type 4, but both are much less common than type 1.

It does sound like the device waking from deep sleep could be triggering these events. Certainly, my device most often goes into type 1 when it's been left alone for a while, such as overnight (so my workaround has been to turn it off at night).

But I've also seen it drop into type 1 while I was actively using it, so waking up mustn't be the only trigger.

Yogi555

Jul 21, 2021
Hi, @Ipedia,

Maybe types 2 and 3 are somehow related to the individual homescreen app - I'm using Nova Launcher. Only guessing here.
Regarding type 5: Yes I did see it as well sometimes - but I'm not sure if it is a type of it's own. If I remember correctly type 1 - 3 are rebooting itself after some time of stalling. And - not sure here - after some unsucessful reboots in sequence we end up in TWRP. (In the embedded business where I'm working, it is the desired behaviour to jump to a flashing-bootloader after a number of resets within a certain time).

I've seen the reboots while busy using it as well some time ago, rare, but it happened - but when I activated my described tasker-profile, they were gone as well. I've no explanation for that.

At the moment I'm only facing type 4 resets. I did many changes, since I saw type 1 - 3 (update to latest 17.1 linageos, latest Magisk, exchange of the wifi-blobs) so not sure if any of this solved these reboots, or if they are yet to popup ...

Max_C

Jun 19, 2011
can you help me to get logs? I receive this error message

Code:
c:\adb>adb root
c:\adb>adb shell
gts210ltexx:/ $ cd data/tombstones
gts210ltexx:/data/tombstones $ ls -al
ls: .: Permission denied

Max_C

Jun 19, 2011
Magisk is hiding the option - without magisk you should see it - even with an unrooted device
oh. i see. I have no "rooted debugging" option in my developer settings in Havoc OS
another problem is i have old Android SDK on my PC. I installed latest one, and got this

Code:
c:\adb>adb root
ADB Root access is disabled by system setting - enable in Settings -> System -> Developer options

Last edited:

Yogi555

Jul 21, 2021
I had exactly the same issue with magisk being the one hiding the setting. Are you sure that you are not having magisk installed? Don't know Havoc ...

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
oh. i see. I have no "rooted debugging" option in my developer settings in Havoc OS
Boot into TWRP then. You can get the same data/tombstones from TWRP using the same commands.

If you have the SM-T710, you will need my TWRP in order for adb to work. The official ones posted on twrp.me don't work with adb or mtp.

Mine works, but it takes 10 seconds before mtp and adb work after the TWRP home screen is shown.

Reactions: Max_C

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
After 17 days of gathering data and troubleshooting, we think we may have solved the random reboots. Huge thanks to @lpedia, @CuckooPenguin and @Yogi555 for testing the various gnss patches until we finally figured out the hwbinder solution.

Details at

https://github.com/universal5433/android_device_samsung_gts2-common/pull/4

If you are one of those people who experienced random reboots, it's not too late to submit your data/tombstones or check them yourself for the error message that I listed above. In particular, you are looking for

Code:
#0 pc 00056baa /system/lib/[email protected] (android::hardware::gnss::V1_0::BsAGnssRilCallback::requestSetIdCb(unsigned int)+450) (BuildId: 30ee8b14270ae2b3ae675a7f9b4de136)
#1 pc 0000e8dd /system/vendor/lib/hw/[email protected] (android::hardware::gnss::V1_0::implementation::AGnssRil::requestSetId(unsigned int)+32) (BuildId: d0033c7cb8d0d1a2c99f977719d0d967)
#2 pc 0000fb05 /system/vendor/lib/hw/gps.default.so (broadcom::GpsiClient::marshal_agps_ril_request_setid(broadcom::IpcIncomingMessage&)+160) (BuildId: fe39be024fc2f98450c8d2fc07cda956)

Once the git pull requested is approved, this patch should make it into the next August security patch build for all flavours of the tab S2 including all the variant OS.

Finally, a huge thanks to @ananjaser1211 for tips, suggestions, code and acting as a sounding board for ideas.

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
sorry, I'm not sure i understand how it works... Should I wait when my HavocOS ROM will be updated in this thread? Or there is another way how to apply the patch
We tried modifying the manifest.xml directly, but the results were inconsistent. On my t710 the instructions below worked, but 2 people with the t810 it resulted in a system not booting properly. These 2 had to reflash the rom to get a working system back. On the t810, the below changed had to be compiled into the code.

If you want to try, backup your data first and be ready to reflash the old rom in case it fails. If it fails, you will have to wait for a new Havoc build or build it yourself.

Bash:
# Turn off gps in OS before booting into TWRP
# boot into TWRP

adb root
# touch mount, system
adb pull /system/vendor/etc/vintf/manifest.xml
# use a text editor and look for this section of code

<hal format="hidl">
        <name>android.hardware.gnss</name>
        <transport arch="32">passthrough</transport>
        <version>1.0</version>
        <interface>
            <name>IGnss</name>
            <instance>default</instance>
        </interface>
        <fqname>@1.0::IGnss/default</fqname>
    </hal>

# change passthrough to hwbinder like so

<transport arch="32">passthrough</transport>

to

<transport>hwbinder</transport>

# save text file
# now push file
adb push manifest.xml /system/vendor/etc/vintf/manifest.xml

# verify that line manifest.xml has changed in the gnss section
adb shell cat  /system/vendor/etc/vintf/manifest.xml | more

# Important. Wipe dalvik/art cache and cache

# reboot into OS, enable GPS and make sure GPS works
# Note you may have to go into your setting, apps and wipe cache data as well if GPS doesn't work.

Reactions: Max_C

Max_C

Jun 19, 2011
We tried modifying the manifest.xml directly, but the results were inconsistent. On my t710 the instructions below worked,
Thanks, on my SM-T815 all working fine, I followed your instructions, pushed revised manifest.xml, GPS is working fine. I will test if it helped to solve the problem and leave message here with result in several days.

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
Thanks, on my SM-T815 all working fine, I followed your instructions, pushed revised manifest.xml, GPS is working fine. I will test if it helped to solve the problem and leave message here with result in several days.
Well, I'm surprised it worked on the t815 when it failed on the t810. That's why I stated it was inconsistent.

So if you were getting daily random reboots due to gnss crashing, then the gnss hwbinder fixes that. We have now had 2 testers go > 150 hours uptime with this patch. Before, they were getting daily reboots/crashes due to gnss (as shown in adb logcat and tombstones).

At first, we thought going 72 hours without a reboot would qualify as a successful fix, but we decided to extend it > 100 hours.

Again, the data/tombstones and adb logcats will show you which process/app is crashing. That's why it's important to view and share them otherwise we would have never figured this out.

Please report back if/when your device reaches 100 hours of uptime.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After 17 days of gathering data and troubleshooting, we think we may have solved the random reboots. Huge thanks to @lpedia, @CuckooPenguin and @Yogi555 for testing the various gnss patches until we finally figured out the hwbinder solution.

Details at

https://github.com/universal5433/android_device_samsung_gts2-common/pull/4

If you are one of those people who experienced random reboots, it's not too late to submit your data/tombstones or check them yourself for the error message that I listed above. In particular, you are looking for

Code:
    #0 pc 00056baa /system/lib/[email protected] (android::hardware::gnss::V1_0::BsAGnssRilCallback::requestSetIdCb(unsigned int)+450) (BuildId: 30ee8b14270ae2b3ae675a7f9b4de136)
    #1 pc 0000e8dd /system/vendor/lib/hw/[email protected] (android::hardware::gnss::V1_0::implementation::AGnssRil::requestSetId(unsigned int)+32) (BuildId: d0033c7cb8d0d1a2c99f977719d0d967)
    #2 pc 0000fb05 /system/vendor/lib/hw/gps.default.so (broadcom::GpsiClient::marshal_agps_ril_request_setid(broadcom::IpcIncomingMessage&)+160) (BuildId: fe39be024fc2f98450c8d2fc07cda956)

Once the git pull requested is approved, this patch should make it into the next August security patch build for all flavours of the tab S2 including all the variant OS.

Finally, a huge thanks to @ananjaser1211 for tips, suggestions, code and acting as a sounding board for ideas.

Please take 10 minutes to read all of post #1 and #2. DO NOT USE this thread to report any other problems, it's only for troubleshooting random reboots or reboots into TWRP for S2 exynos5433 tablet users. If this is unreasonable, then stop reading. Thank you.

If you cannot provide the logs below, please do not participate in this thread. Thank you.

I will take a look at all logs uploaded. The more the better to help find root cause or causes.

At this point, I have no solution to fix random reboots, but gathering data that might help narrow down which app or process is causing this.

Instructions

1. If you are experiencing random reboot or reboot into TWRP, you MUST supply tombstone logs. It's super easy and simple to do. Connect your device to PC using micro usb cable.

Make sure adb debugging is enabled in developer options. To enable developer options, tap settings, about tablet, build number 7 times until it says developer options unlocked. Go back to settings, system, advanced, developer options, enable android debugging and rooted debugging.

Bash:
    adb root
    adb shell
    cd data/tombstones
    ls -al
    # if you see files tombstone_00, tombstone_01, etc then
    exit
    mkdir t
    cd t
    adb pull data/tombstones/

Zip all the files and upload here. Alternatively, you can send me the zipped logs via xda PM.

2. The better log would be adb logcat of the problem (random reboot, stuck at boot animation due to random restart) that just happened or happening.
    Bash:
    adb logcat > crash.txt
    # wait 30 seconds then hit ctrl-c to stop capture

Please zip the .txt file before uploading. For some reason, I cannot see .txt files here.

FAQ

Q1. When will this random reboot be solved?
    A1. Set your expectations that it will never be solved. At this point, I'm only gathering data to try and help. There may never be a fix if it's due to a proprietary Samsung blob that can never be updated. DO NOT ask when or if this can be fixed. It is not productive and I will completely ignore the question. Thank you.

Q2. Will you provide updates?
    A2. I will only provide updates if I think we have found a solution. Otherwise, assume I'm not working on this problem because like you, I have other responsibilities and interests in life.

Q3. What will you do with the logs?
    A3. I will look at every uploaded log and try to find a common pattern among them. If I find something that I think it's worth reporting, then I will post it here. If I need more information, I will revise the instructions and ask for more.

Q4. Why are you doing this?
    A4. Let me be clear. I'm not experiencing any random reboots myself, I'm just trying to help if I can. The more logs you can provide, the more likely we can narrow down the problem. No logs from the commuity means the random reboot problems will never be fixed.

Let me be clear again, DO NOT ask when or if this can be fixed. Thank you.
    ls: .: Permission denied
    Maybe have a look how my adb root problems were solved in this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-version-of-andriod-10.4308193/#post-85353551
    Worth a try, but maybe your issue is different
    Boot into TWRP then. You can get the same data/tombstones from TWRP using the same commands.

If you have the SM-T710, you will need my TWRP in order for adb to work. The official ones posted on twrp.me don't work with adb or mtp.

Mine works, but it takes 10 seconds before mtp and adb work after the TWRP home screen is shown.