Trying to boot my Huawei P9 inot TWRP, stock rom always overwrites even if I boot into recovery correctly

Search This thread

Catnip202X

Apr 17, 2021
As the title suggests, I decided to flash Lineage OS onto my old Huawei P9 phone. I unlocked the bootloader, which was a mess but I did indeed achieve that goal.

However, things screeched into a halt as I found out that my specific model of P9 does not support SU or rooting. So the only way I can install TWRP is by running the

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

flashboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp.img

Things got kinda weird when I tried to boot into recovery mode. I've tried all the ways, from using all kinds of key combinations to googling software solutions, sadly all my efforts were in vain. However, I can now boot into recovery mode consistently with the classic "volume + and power button" key combo. The problem I run into is that everytime I boot into it, I get the error screen
IMG_0636.JPEG

What can I do? all the other solutions on Google say that I need to root to use the software solutions so I'm stuck in this weird circular logic loop. So any suggestions?

Running EMUI 8.0.0.552(C01)
Model EVA-TL00
Cpu: Hisilicon Kirin 955
Kernel version 4.4.23

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
As the title suggests, I decided to flash Lineage OS onto my old Huawei P9 phone. I unlocked the bootloader, which was a mess but I did indeed achieve that goal.

However, things screeched into a halt as I found out that my specific model of P9 does not support SU or rooting. So the only way I can install TWRP is by running the

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

flashboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp.img

Things got kinda weird when I tried to boot into recovery mode. I've tried all the ways, from using all kinds of key combinations to googling software solutions, sadly all my efforts were in vain. However, I can now boot into recovery mode consistently with the classic "volume + and power button" key combo. The problem I run into is that everytime I boot into it, I get the error screenView attachment 5281583

What can I do? all the other solutions on Google say that I need to root to use the software solutions so I'm stuck in this weird circular logic loop. So any suggestions?

Running EMUI 8.0.0.552(C01)
Model EVA-TL00
Cpu: Hisilicon Kirin 955
Kernel version 4.4.23
TWRP must be flashed with the command:
fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk ...

After flashing, first thing must be rebooting to TWRP by key conbo - it's always that same trick for Huawei phones

And btw, better ask inside the P9 LOS thread, to get attention and help

Last edited:

Catnip202X

Apr 17, 2021
TWRP must be flashed with the command:
fastboot flash recovery ...

After flashing, first thing must be rebooting to TWRP by key conbo - it's always that same trick for Huawei phones

And btw, better ask inside the P9 LOS thread, to get attention and help
I've tried
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
This doesn't work as I've learned that the correct partition name is recovery_ramdisk. Flashing the recovery gives the error.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
I've tried
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
This doesn't work as I've learned that the correct partition name is recovery_ramdisk. Flashing the recovery gives the error.
Yes, sorry, you are right, typo.
But I wanted to point that you must use fastboot flash command (not FLASHBOOT or whatever you used in your post #1)

And that you MUST reboot to TWRP as the first thing after flashing it - otherwise (as you claimed), stock recovery will overwrite the TWRP you flashed

Hence, prepare you fingers for the key-combo, type fastboot reboot, disconnect USB and make sure you properly keep pressing Vol+ until it boots to TWRP. Then you can safely reboot to the system

But also READ the P9 LOS thread - it clearly describes that LOS must bi flashed from fastboot, not from TWRP and it actually asks users not to use TWRP

See here and better ask there to get the answers directly from developer:

Last edited:

Catnip202X

Apr 17, 2021
And that you MUST reboot to TWRP as the first thing after flashing it - otherwise (as you claimed), stock recovery will overwrite the TWRP you flashed

Hence, prepare you fingers for the key-combo, type fastboot reboot, disconnect USB and make sure you properly keep pressing Vol+ until it boots to TWRP. Then you can safely reboot to the system
I have indeed tried this route, but as I have stated before, trying to boot into recovery mode right after flashing TWRP and pressing key combo still boots me into the error screen where it says that I need to update something. On the bottom of the screen will also show errors such as Function11 not found and error 2 no image etc. I’ll try to replicate it and send you a picture of the error screen when I get home from work tonight.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone