• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Trying to convert LG V40 from ATT to Verizon

Search This thread

Craddock87

Mar 15, 2019
Hi, I'm having trouble trying to convert a LG V40 from ATT to Verizon. Got the LG V40 on a trade, it's an ATT model and only Verizon works at our house. I figured it would be easy enough to flash over to Verizon software, but apparently I can't comprehend it. I read a bunch of articles on how to flash the phone over, downloaded the LG drivers, LG UP, and the KDZ file.

Every time I try to load up LG UP, it gives me the LGUP can't load the model error. I tried to download the Uppercut program and it will let LG UP come up and once I select the KDZ file, it gets to 4% and closes the LG UP program.

From what I've read (I've only got 2 hours a day before or after work other than sleep), I guess I don't have the model file that LG UP is looking for to run. Can anyone point me in the right direction? If there's anything I didn't explain or that needs cleared up I'd be happy to explain better.

Thanks

strk3r

Jul 5, 2014
AFAIK ATT is GSM, Verizon is not. So you cant use Verizon on ATT device even if you flash firmware.

kasey348

Feb 23, 2010
Long Beach CA
Hi, I'm having trouble trying to convert a LG V40 from ATT to Verizon. Got the LG V40 on a trade, it's an ATT model and only Verizon works at our house. I figured it would be easy enough to flash over to Verizon software, but apparently I can't comprehend it. I read a bunch of articles on how to flash the phone over, downloaded the LG drivers, LG UP, and the KDZ file.

Every time I try to load up LG UP, it gives me the LGUP can't load the model error. I tried to download the Uppercut program and it will let LG UP come up and once I select the KDZ file, it gets to 4% and closes the LG UP program.

From what I've read (I've only got 2 hours a day before or after work other than sleep), I guess I don't have the model file that LG UP is looking for to run. Can anyone point me in the right direction? If there's anything I didn't explain or that needs cleared up I'd be happy to explain better.

Thanks

well where are you located?
i have a Verizon v40 i can trade,
i have service with t mobile crap my Verizon v40 works with my t mobile sim card i just keep getting a lot drop calls. I cannot make calls on 4GLTE.

joeminati

Dec 23, 2009
Hey,

I just unlocked my ATT LG V40 using a Verizon sim card here in NYC and works just fine. Once the unlock pin was set in, the phone restarted and showed on the Verizon network with 4G LTE icon.

Ebay has an unlock code guy selling it for $7 buck if you rather not deal with the headaches of switching or whatnot.

I was also able to disable 80% of the ATT bloat that comes with the phone and ready to go.

Craddock87

Mar 15, 2019
well where are you located?
i have a Verizon v40 i can trade,
i have service with t mobile crap my Verizon v40 works with my t mobile sim card i just keep getting a lot drop calls. I cannot make calls on 4GLTE.

Southern WV. Would be willing to drive some distance to just get the correct one.

degarb

Mar 18, 2015
I assumed that LG made one V40 and each carrier had a different rom, which would listen to their bands only, to save power.

AT&T has ended all their good plans and has focused on the $30 per month and up, which is 3x to 4x more than I was paying for family and employee phone plans with usable but limited data.

So, I want to flash my 4 lg v40 att phones to T-mobile, since the att firmware does not listen to band 71, which is the best band to have in most situations.

I learned how to use lgup and roms. I assumed that you should be able to just flash any att v40 with a v40 tmo rom. However, I get a cross error. More research led me to qfil files and tools that make building your own Linux look like an afternoon job.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
I assumed that LG made one V40 and each carrier had a different rom, which would listen to their bands only, to save power.

AT&T has ended all their good plans and has focused on the $30 per month and up, which is 3x to 4x more than I was paying for family and employee phone plans with usable but limited data.

So, I want to flash my 4 lg v40 att phones to T-mobile, since the att firmware does not listen to band 71, which is the best band to have in most situations.

I learned how to use lgup and roms. I assumed that you should be able to just flash any att v40 with a v40 tmo rom. However, I get a cross error. More research led me to qfil files and tools that make building your own Linux look like an afternoon job.

I understand why u think flashing t-mo would help, but unfortunately t-mo is the only one u can't flash, unless the original phone was t-mo.

That's because t-mo signs / encrypts the partitions and if u try to use them, u could brick any other phone (other than t-mo).

But to help with your problem, it's best to use the US Open rom (which I believe only came out up to a9, not a10).

Using that rom, you'll have volte, vowifi, and band 71. And, no specific carrier bloat. Some LG bloat, but not much.

cheers

degarb

Mar 18, 2015
What I am reading on other threads is that if I had a tmo firmware, I wouldn't be able to flash. Also, that no one made an open att firmware, much less with band 71.

I followed the instructions for cross flashing on https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-lgup-for-all-no-root-needed.3967858/page-1

It failed, as others with att failed. Then one guy got the older lg command line to work. I followed those instructions (although the instruction page had 3 typos on it, after an hour and a half I found a youtube video without the typos). The command line failed, without any dialog. I assume more cross flashing prohibition.

I see att firmware, but it isn't open, and band 71 is missing. The only reason to flash is for band 71, otherwise my phone is carrier unlocked, but with band 71 disabled.

I am 97 percent sure I did everything right, including trying about 7 kdz's. I enabled oem unlocking, usb debugging. It is download mode, although the ui lgup is perfectly capable of putting the phone into download mode. I installed all the dlls, and other files.

However, lg up is compaining it can't load new file. I read it is no big deal, but I assume it has to do with the crossflashing config file, and perhaps this is the problem.

I see I can't dump with lgup, which I assume is something only paid up developers can do.

My phone wouldn't root, using any methods. So I am wondering if att has something locked down stopping root or this firmware flash. Maybe in the hidden settings (*#546368#*405#), but I can't make head or tails of anything in those cyptic service menus, even though I explored every menu in detail.

Threads on qfil look like they are written by very advanced cell programmers, and nothing makes any sense. I vaguely get the sense that in addition to the 3 or 4 android partitions (data, system, cache, user) there are scores of hidden phone partitions, which I could dump, if I had a patched version of lgup which probably only a few people have. qfil editing or saving looks linux based, and could take years to learn. And qfil editing probably would brick the phone since any experienced expert in any field has many botched jobs behind them. Of course this doesn't make sense, beyond partion resizing and cloning, to me.

The huge problem is that there are 6 variants of the phone and 4 carriers (formerly), so very few people like me have this variant, switched to tmobile, and realize that they are being screwed because the most important band (for traveling people and fringe area people) for tmobile is missing. My phone has mostly been using band 12, which I asssume is the second farthest reaching band. I thought I bought 4 lg v 40 phones with band 71, but I was mistaken.

I guess the only thing yet to try, is to uninstall all the lg up related stuff and reinstall. I have been searching so many threads, tying everything, maybe there is a sw conflict. Maybe an registry setting and malformed location pointer there to the config file? Who knows. Maybe, I am reading correctly, that if you have an att v40, you are stuck without band 71.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
What I am reading on other threads is that if I had a tmo firmware, I wouldn't be able to flash. Also, that no one made an open att firmware, much less with band 71.

I followed the instructions for cross flashing on https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-lgup-for-all-no-root-needed.3967858/page-1

It failed, as others with att failed. Then one guy got the older lg command line to work. I followed those instructions (although the instruction page had 3 typos on it, after an hour and a half I found a youtube video without the typos). The command line failed, without any dialog. I assume more cross flashing prohibition.

I see att firmware, but it isn't open, and band 71 is missing. The only reason to flash is for band 71, otherwise my phone is carrier unlocked, but with band 71 disabled.

I am 97 percent sure I did everything right, including trying about 7 kdz's. I enabled oem unlocking, usb debugging. It is download mode, although the ui lgup is perfectly capable of putting the phone into download mode. I installed all the dlls, and other files.

However, lg up is compaining it can't load new file. I read it is no big deal, but I assume it has to do with the crossflashing config file, and perhaps this is the problem.

I see I can't dump with lgup, which I assume is something only paid up developers can do.

My phone wouldn't root, using any methods. So I am wondering if att has something locked down stopping root or this firmware flash. Maybe in the hidden settings (*#546368#*405#), but I can't make head or tails of anything in those cyptic service menus, even though I explored every menu in detail.

Threads on qfil look like they are written by very advanced cell programmers, and nothing makes any sense. I vaguely get the sense that in addition to the 3 or 4 android partitions (data, system, cache, user) there are scores of hidden phone partitions, which I could dump, if I had a patched version of lgup which probably only a few people have. qfil editing or saving looks linux based, and could take years to learn. And qfil editing probably would brick the phone since any experienced expert in any field has many botched jobs behind them. Of course this doesn't make sense, beyond partion resizing and cloning, to me.

The huge problem is that there are 6 variants of the phone and 4 carriers (formerly), so very few people like me have this variant, switched to tmobile, and realize that they are being screwed because the most important band (for traveling people and fringe area people) for tmobile is missing. My phone has mostly been using band 12, which I asssume is the second farthest reaching band. I thought I bought 4 lg v 40 phones with band 71, but I was mistaken.

I guess the only thing yet to try, is to uninstall all the lg up related stuff and reinstall. I have been searching so many threads, tying everything, maybe there is a sw conflict. Maybe an registry setting and malformed location pointer there to the config file? Who knows. Maybe, I am reading correctly, that if you have an att v40, you are stuck without band 71.
As mentioned in my previous comment, to you, I can only assume you read, the easiest way for u to get band 71 would be to flash the US Open android 9 kdz.

degarb

Mar 18, 2015
As mentioned in my previous comment, to you, I can only assume you read, the easiest way for u to get band 71 would be to flash the US Open android 9 kdz.
This doesn't work, I am getting crossd error. Of course the error that it couldn't load new file doesn't make me confident in the accuracy of the guide, despite reading that we can ignore this error from lgup.

I am 100 percent I did everthing correctly, from enabling oem unlocking to debug mode. All drivers, com ports working. I tried about 9 kdz's or more. I obviously ignored any firmware without band 71.

I am reading that there is not any att open firmware anyway, because no one in the company leaks the code.

This phone apparently doesn't have a bootloader, and so the bootloader can't be unlocked. But that should only affect the rooting ability.

I can't see how att would have locked flashing from the bootloader, it seems to me that they would have had to do it deeper in the phone. so far, about the only hidden dialer code that work is *#546368#*405# (other than 2 others), this yield a very technical service menu that seems purposely obfuscated, so only a tech with an inhouse manual knows what these menus can do. I can only make out of few menu items' purpose. But nothing useful that I understand.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
This doesn't work, I am getting crossd error. Of course the error that it couldn't load new file doesn't make me confident in the accuracy of the guide, despite reading that we can ignore this error from lgup.

I am 100 percent I did everthing correctly, from enabling oem unlocking to debug mode. All drivers, com ports working. I tried about 9 kdz's or more. I obviously ignored any firmware without band 71.

I am reading that there is not any att open firmware anyway, because no one in the company leaks the code.

This phone apparently doesn't have a bootloader, and so the bootloader can't be unlocked. But that should only affect the rooting ability.

I can't see how att would have locked flashing from the bootloader, it seems to me that they would have had to do it deeper in the phone. so far, about the only hidden dialer code that work is *#546368#*405# (other than 2 others), this yield a very technical service menu that seems purposely obfuscated, so only a tech with an inhouse manual knows what these menus can do. I can only make out of few menu items' purpose. But nothing useful that I understand.

If you read the comments in the Specific guide for doing this, you'll find where the 'crossd error' is resolved.

If u have trouble with that guide, ask questions in that guide. That's where the answers are and where people who have done it will answer. I can assure you it does work. I've done it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The LG UP version that works with the 40 hasn't been released yet. I thought all that was needed was to swap out the SIM card? You could download the verizon apps off the store, and snooze the ATT ones.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    We don't have a way to flash anything in any way yet, so, leave your phone alone before you brick it.