Trying to get Daydream working on the MZP without root.

Search This thread

OrBy

Feb 22, 2008
Can some one please help me edit the Daydream related APK's to automatically pass the checks in /system/etc/permissions/handheld_core_hardware.xml for <feature name="android.software.vr.mode" /> and <feature name="android.hardware.vr.high_performance" /> ?

From my limited understanding, this would allow users without root and on unsupported phones like ours to try out/use the Daydream headset and controller as long as they are running the minimum OS version. (7.0, 7.1.1 etc...)

Right now if I just install the needed APK files I can open up Daydream and launch into VR mode (with a warning I can press OK on) but once in VR mode the controller will not sync, so you end up being stuck till you exit.

I would like to get back to shooting zombie chickens without root. ;)

I hope that only the Google VR Services APK (https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-vr-services-daydream/) needs to be edited/patched but here are the links to the other related APK's needed for Daydream just in case:
Daydream https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/daydream-daydream/
Daydream Keyboard https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/daydream-keyboard-daydream/
(remember the Moto Z Play is ARM - so make sure your getting the APK's that are ARM or ARM+ARM64 - I hope that's right)

I have tried decompiling the Google VR Services APK and think I found the checks, but I don't really know how to edit it (tried just deleting the lines) and my re-compile did not result in a working product.

My decompile found in line 300 of AndroidNCompat.smali

Code:
    const-string v1, "android.software.vr.mode"

invoke-virtual {v0, v1}, Landroid/content/pm/PackageManager;->hasSystemFeature(Ljava/lang/String;)Z

move-result v0

if-eqz v0, :cond_0

and in DaydreamUtils.smali around line 228

Code:
    const-string v1, "android.hardware.vr.high_performance"

.line 7
    invoke-virtual {v0, v1}, Landroid/content/pm/PackageManager;->hasSystemFeature(Ljava/lang/String;)Z

move-result v0

goto :goto_0

Witch I am assuming are the checks.

I have also created a VR headset profile that's based off the built in one for the Daydream View that better fits the Moto Z Play while in a thin case with a glass screen protector. Please see the attached QR code.

Attachments

• qr_viewer_profile.png
    qr_viewer_profile.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 487

OrBy

Feb 22, 2008
Yay. Got the controller working without root - I was right about the VR services APK being the key, but needed to approach a few things differently.

I may need to mess with the Daydream APK next as it looks like a few features seem to be disabled while in VR mode (store and settings). But they may be checking device ID's and not permissions.

Reactions: chris23445

OrBy

Feb 22, 2008
Looks like apktool is able to de-compile the Daydream apk but is unable to recompile it (errors out) so that's going to put a bit of a pause on messing with this for me for now.
Is there any interest in the modded Google VR Services APK?

Cptnodegard

Nov 24, 2011
Just checking in to voice interest. Have the Z Play, Z2 Play, Z, and daydream view, so would like to be able to use daydream on the two Plays

pearce29

Aug 15, 2014
Hi im really interested to get daydream to work on my phone and there exists no root for my phone. Could you please help me :crying:

Psychfox

May 24, 2010
Yay. Got the controller working without root - I was right about the VR services APK being the key, but needed to approach a few things differently.

I may need to mess with the Daydream APK next as it looks like a few features seem to be disabled while in VR mode (store and settings). But they may be checking device ID's and not permissions.
How did you get the controller working, exactly? I've got it paired but it won't seem to connect / do anything, though I'm not rooted on my Moto Z Play yet.

m4f1050

Apr 20, 2007
Interested to know, I bought 2 Moto Z Play thinking they were going to work with Daydream, and I am now told It's the higher end. (BS)

Very frustrated.

tiPrans

May 26, 2015
I gave up, bought 2 Moto Z (unlocked) 64gb for same price as Moto Z Play which is 32gb, but Play has a bigger battery... :D

Nice! If Lenovo carries on with the Z line, I may get the Z 3 later on.

But I am asking since OP mentioned that he managed to get the controllers to work without root :confused:

OrBy

Feb 22, 2008
***Disclaimer - I cant help you with this, it's buggy, it's a bad idea, it requires you to know what your doing and if you don't - you need to figure it out on your own. I am not responsible for anything that goes wrong (or right) if you choose to do anything listed below. I am really just putting this info up so that it's archived some where.

Ok so I did get it running without root, but barely works, expect crashing, incompatibility with just about everything, and no help - so here is how:

Allow install of unknown apps.
Download and install a compatible version of the com.google.android.vr.home apk.
Download and install a compatible version of the com.google.android.vr.inputmethod apk.
Download and decompile a compatible version of com.google.vr.vrcore (I used Apktool v2.2.4) and find any instance of android.software.vr.mode and android.hardware.vr.high_performance in AndroidNCompat.smali and DaydreamUtils.smali and replace them with android.hardware.touchscreen.
Recompile com.google.vr.vrcore and sign it (I used the GUI of Android Multitool 3.5.9).
Install com.google.vr.vrcore.
Profit.

The above instructions are what I did to the attached file - it didn't kill my phone so far.

Attachments

• com.google.vr.vrcore_1.13.185188193-160732214_minAPI19(armeabi-v7a)(nodpi)_APKdot.com.apk
    7.2 MB · Views: 4,339

tiPrans

May 26, 2015
***Disclaimer - I cant help you with this, it's buggy, it's a bad idea, it requires you to know what your doing and if you don't - you need to figure it out on your own. I am not responsible for anything that goes wrong (or right) if you choose to do anything listed below. I am really just putting this info up so that it's archived some where.

Ok so I did get it running without root, but barely works, expect crashing, incompatibility with just about everything, and no help - so here is how:

Download and install a compatible version of the com.google.android.vr.home apk.
Download and install a compatible version of the com.google.android.vr.inputmethod apk.
Download and decompile a compatible version of com.google.vr.vrcore (I used Apktool v2.2.4) and find any instance of android.software.vr.mode and android.hardware.vr.high_performance in AndroidNCompat.smali and DaydreamUtils.smali and replace them with android.hardware.touchscreen.
Recompile com.google.vr.vrcore and sign it (I used the GUI of Android Multitool 3.5.9).
Profit.

The above instructions are what I did to the attached file - it didn't kill my phone so far.

Thanks a lot! Will try it and update here once I do :)

brigantti

Jul 25, 2013
Calexico
I know this is an old threat but i got to ask any progress on getting this to work?i installed all apks including the modded vrcore apk and daydream load and connect the remote control but in daydream mode the controller wont work
i installed on lg g8.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Profit.

Can some one please help me edit the Daydream related APK's to automatically pass the checks in /system/etc/permissions/handheld_core_hardware.xml for <feature name="android.software.vr.mode" /> and <feature name="android.hardware.vr.high_performance" /> ?

From my limited understanding, this would allow users without root and on unsupported phones like ours to try out/use the Daydream headset and controller as long as they are running the minimum OS version. (7.0, 7.1.1 etc...)

Right now if I just install the needed APK files I can open up Daydream and launch into VR mode (with a warning I can press OK on) but once in VR mode the controller will not sync, so you end up being stuck till you exit.

I would like to get back to shooting zombie chickens without root. ;)

I hope that only the Google VR Services APK (https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-vr-services-daydream/) needs to be edited/patched but here are the links to the other related APK's needed for Daydream just in case:
    Daydream https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/daydream-daydream/
    Daydream Keyboard https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/daydream-keyboard-daydream/
    (remember the Moto Z Play is ARM - so make sure your getting the APK's that are ARM or ARM+ARM64 - I hope that's right)

I have tried decompiling the Google VR Services APK and think I found the checks, but I don't really know how to edit it (tried just deleting the lines) and my re-compile did not result in a working product.

My decompile found in line 300 of AndroidNCompat.smali

Code:
        const-string v1, "android.software.vr.mode"

move-result v0

if-eqz v0, :cond_0

and in DaydreamUtils.smali around line 228

Code:
        const-string v1, "android.hardware.vr.high_performance"

.line 7

move-result v0

goto :goto_0

Witch I am assuming are the checks.

I have also created a VR headset profile that's based off the built in one for the Daydream View that better fits the Moto Z Play while in a thin case with a glass screen protector. Please see the attached QR code.

Any updates on this to get the controller to work without root, please?

I gave up, bought 2 Moto Z (unlocked) 64gb for same price as Moto Z Play which is 32gb, but Play has a bigger battery... :D