• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Trying to restore an old HTC One M7 (hima) to stock

Search This thread

ZaLiTHkA

Jan 14, 2008
HTC One (m7)
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2
The original title incorrectly mentioned the M9, this is actually the M7.. I've now updated this.

Greetings,

Going through some boxes the other day I found my old HTC One M9, which I had previously unlocked and flashed with various different ROMs.. Basically, this was the first device I ever actually tried any custom ROMs. That said, it's been so long, I don't have any of my old files left and I don't remember exactly what I did.

At this moment in time, the device is booting and running Xiaomi MIUI 8 (Android 6), but I'm unable to get into TWRP (constant bootloop) and I can't flash a new recovery image.

After a "fastboot reboot bootloader", I see the following details:

Code:
*** UNLOCKED ***
M7_UL PVT SHIP S-OFF RH
CID-11111111
HBOOT-1.54.000
RADIO-4T.36.3218.06
OpenDSP-v26.120.274.0202
OS-
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Apr 28 2015,09:16:24.0

When I try flash "twrp-3.3.1-1-hima.img", I get the following:

Bash:
> fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.3.1-1-hima.img
Sending 'recovery' (21852 KB)                      OKAY [  2.072s]
Writing 'recovery'                                 FAILED (remote: 'image update error')
fastboot: error: Command failed

I'm hoping to flash LineageOS from this thread, either 16.0 (as per the thread details) or the 17.1 or 18.1 available in the linked repository, but I can't do so until I get the recovery partition sorted out.

Please can someone help me fix whatever it was that I broke here..?

Last edited:

plants

Sep 7, 2009
London
As you're S-OFF you should try flashing a boot image? Just extract boot.img from a ROM and flash with fastboot flash boot [filename]. You may regain stability

ZaLiTHkA

Jan 14, 2008
HTC One (m7)
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2
As you're S-OFF you should try flashing a boot image? Just extract boot.img from a ROM and flash with fastboot flash boot [filename]. You may regain stability
my apologies for the very delayed response... my email inbox has been swamped with too much crap lately, finally getting around to doing some house keeping now, and I only saw the notification of your reply while doing that.

I've been out of the custom ROM game for too long, I honestly didn't think of flashing the boot image directly like that.. my M9 is indeed S-OFF, it was one of the first devices I used to play with this sort of stuff. I ended up changing ROMs every other week back then... :D

anyways, I'm going to keep this tab open for now. I'll dig into this again shortly and post back as soon as I know more.

---

...and about an hour after I posted this, we had a massive power outage that lasted through to the early morning hours. So I'm only getting to this now.

Last edited: