Trying to Root phone using SuperSu - need help.

Search This thread

tomx2x

Jul 7, 2017
Hi.
This is my first post, I hope i'm in the correct forum.
I have a friend whom I requested to Root, Flash TWRP and Install LineagOS and GAAP on my OnePlus One phone.

He successfully flashed TWRP and installed LineagOS & GAAP but could not root my OnePlus One using SuperSu. He mentioned permission issue trying to root.
He went back to his country, so I am stuck trying to root my phone.

I would like to root my LineagOS (formally OnePlus One) using SuperSU.
I have downloaded/copied the latest SuperSu zip file into the Phone Sd/Download folder.
I went into custom recovery (TWRP).
Click on the Install button and verified I can see my SuperSu zip file.
Since this is my first time performing a phone root, I did not click SuperSu zip to install, until some experts can assist. me.

Just a few (Q's).
Questions:
a) Should I run any preliminary steps prior to clicking install SuperSu.zip?
b) Since I have LineagOS, GAAP apps already installed, will they be wiped after rooting SuperSu. If (Yes), any software available to backup/restore LineagOS & GAAP prior to the root process?
c) My friend mention “Permission problems with OPO”. Are there some options to open OPO and allow rooting SuperSu?

BTW: I do have the adb & fastboot installed if I need to enter some commands to get this done.

Thanks.
Tom.

psxda97

Nov 1, 2015
@Sam Nakamura
I downloaded LOS extras from the link you provided.
Went into TWRP
Did the Install
Then rebooted.

Went back to phone\Developers Option
Root Access is still grayed out.

See screenshot attached.
Any suggestions?
Should I just do a TWRP factory reset and start over?

Tom.
My last attempt.
Download this exact zip : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=385035244224405790
Wipe System, data, cache & dalvik
Flash ROM - Gapps- SuperSU-v2.79-201612051815.zip
Reboot

tomx2x

Jul 7, 2017
Ok, I',m not sure, but I maybe rooted.
See attached screenshots.
My concern, in Developers Options, Root Access shows “ADB Root Only” see attachments.
Shouldn't I get a option for “All Root Access”?
Or does supersu have it's own internal options.
I did successfully launch Titanium backup(did not do backup) & Root Checker responded with root was successful. see attachment.

But Is there another verification i can do guaranteeing I'm am 100% rooted on the phone?

A Post by Sam Nakamura stated:
“Important, it's not a good idea to flash lineageOS su, then supersu, then magisk after each fails, at least restore your clean boot partition from twrp.

I was testing today the supersu zip for V2.79 for 2016 provided by psxda97.
Then about to install Magisk Manager when Sam's post gave me the idea to give this one more shot and full restore from my original backup.

Here's what I did:
1. Did a TWRP Full Restore from my 7/8 backup. First backup prior trying any supersu.zip install.
2. Deleted all prior supersu.zips from my PC.
3. Downloaded a fresh copy of supersu V2.82 suggested by psxda97 and Sam Nakamura.
4. Install the supersu.zip V2.82.
5. Rebooted.

The only other difference i have is the LOS (ROM) installation I used today.
My LOS install for 7/8 14.1 20170703-Nightly shows 2 options to select a root: (disabled or ADB Only).
The backup from Unofficial Sultan 14.1-20170625 has a slide bar to turn on/off ADB root.

Anyways, A Big Thanks to Psxda97, Sam Nakamura and Droidriven. :)

Tom.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170711-083815.png
    Screenshot_20170711-083815.png
    224.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20170711-083909.png
    Screenshot_20170711-083909.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20170711-094213.png
    Screenshot_20170711-094213.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20170711-094419.jpg
    Screenshot_20170711-094419.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 13

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Ok, I',m not sure, but I maybe rooted.
See attached screenshots.
My concern, in Developers Options, Root Access shows “ADB Root Only” see attachments.
Shouldn't I get a option for “All Root Access”?
Or does supersu have it's own internal options.
I did successfully launch Titanium backup(did not do backup) & Root Checker responded with root was successful. see attachment.

But Is there another verification i can do guaranteeing I'm am 100% rooted on the phone?

A Post by Sam Nakamura stated:
“Important, it's not a good idea to flash lineageOS su, then supersu, then magisk after each fails, at least restore your clean boot partition from twrp.

I was testing today the supersu zip for V2.79 for 2016 provided by psxda97.
Then about to install Magisk Manager when Sam's post gave me the idea to give this one more shot and full restore from my original backup.

Here's what I did:
1. Did a TWRP Full Restore from my 7/8 backup. First backup prior trying any supersu.zip install.
2. Deleted all prior supersu.zips from my PC.
3. Downloaded a fresh copy of supersu V2.82 suggested by psxda97 and Sam Nakamura.
4. Install the supersu.zip V2.82.
5. Rebooted.

The only other difference i have is the LOS (ROM) installation I used today.
My LOS install for 7/8 14.1 20170703-Nightly shows 2 options to select a root: (disabled or ADB Only).
The backup from Unofficial Sultan 14.1-20170625 has a slide bar to turn on/off ADB root.

Anyways, A Big Thanks to Psxda97, Sam Nakamura and Droidriven. :)

Tom.
Set root access to "apps and adb"

I DO NOT PROVIDE HELP IN PM, KEEP IT IN THE THREADS WHERE EVERYONE CAN SHARE

tomx2x

Jul 7, 2017
@DRODriven:
I have only 2 root options 1. adb-only 2. disable. see screenshot below.
Since I can now launch Titanium Backup as a root application, would this not confirm I can exec root apps.

Tom.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170712-034028.png
    Screenshot_20170712-034028.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 31

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
@DRODriven:
I have only 2 root options 1. adb-only 2. disable. see screenshot below.
Since I can now launch Titanium Backup as a root application, would this not confirm I can exec root apps.

Tom.
All custom ROMS I've ever used had the "apps and adb" option.

You're dealing with an android version and a device I'm not familiar with so I'm not sure how much help I'll be in this situation other than the general android knowledge of what "should" work. There are some specifics in your situation that I don't know about.

The other guy here have been more of a help to you than I have been, it's probably gonna be one of them that can help you get this straight.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @psxda97 - No problem about your availability time will put my post in advance reply for others to share their advice. I'm currently in Thailand for awhile, so your PM time is my AM.

@Droidriven.
    No I never did an extract of the Supersu zip file. I just raised that as a "Should I".
    I have attached screenshots of my About Phone & Developer Options for review.
    I found only 1 Recovery log file at the Root. This has been attached.

Normal Supersu or Seamless. Not an expert on this, but the article (see below), implies if you flash supersu it will decide what method to use. I'd prefer seamless if this help. "https://www.howtogeek.com/249162/what-is-systemless-root-on-android-and-why-is-it-better/"

Just curious. What if I ran in this order Supersu, ROM, GAAP.
    Would that make any difference?

Tom.
    The problem might be in the LineageOS ROM that you're using, I've seen others have this issue on other devices using LineageOS.

I don't recall what some of the solutions were.
    @Sam Nakamura is pretty knowledgeable about the OnePlus devices, maybe he has some useful input.

Sorry, it's early in the morning here and I think I haven't been able to get the question yet... :)
    First of all, lineageOS provides a own method of root, found here:
    https://download.lineageos.org/extras
    If you instead choose to use supersu the order must be -> rom, (custom kernel), supersu, (or rom, custom kernel, gapps, supersu but for gapps it doesn't matter when to flash them as long as it is in the same session and after the rom, supersu intendes to either patch the kernel (hence systemless) or to write in system (partition of the rom), that's why rom and custom kernel (if you choose to use a custom kernel) needs to be flashed before supersu...
    The supersu systemless / system detection does not always work properly, in that case you can force supersu systemlessly by going to the terminal option in twrp before flashing supersu and type this:
    "echo SYSTEMLESS=true>>/data/.supersu" no quotes, type "false" instead of "true" in this line to force system mode...
    If that doesn't solve your problems please elaborate on this again..

Sent from my OnePlus 2 using XDA Labs
    I haven't used LineageOS yet so I'm not familiar with its details, I was pretty sure you'd know though. [emoji106]

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone