Trying to unlock the bootloader with PotatoNV on Mediapad T5 not working (video explanation)

Search This thread
Dec 18, 2020
Hi there,

So After seen many tutorials I wanted to proceed to unlock the bootloader of my Huawei Mediapad T5 , here are the specs
```
Model: AGS2-W09
Build No: AGS2-W09 8.0.0.360(OCEC431)
CPU : Hisilicon Kirin 659
Android Version: 8.0
```

I have downloaded the last build of `potatoNV` along with the SER Drivers ,
I have booted in untrusted driver mode (on Win10) and have installed `usbser.sys` as far as I recall

I proceed opening the Tablet from inside and shorting the "short point" and I get connection with the Computer , I installed the drivers , and tried on `potatoNV` with `Kirin 65x (A)` .
I get to the end of the progress bar , and then I get the problem as there is no confirmation that the process has been performed correctly. The connection dissapears , and If I try to boot on rescue mode and I do `.\fastboot.exe devices` or `fastbook.exe oem device info` it doesnt show no device at all.
Also the `rescue mode` menu says `Phone locked , FRP Unlocked` So I guess I had no luck

Please see the video on the link (note that the 2 takes are not synchronized)

What I may be possibly doing wrong ? May it be the USB connection (cables or connectors) ? or the drivers I downloaded?

Please any assitance will be appreciated.

Thanks

Dec 18, 2020
Hey there I just saw the message :D :D . Please if you can guide me a bit of what I may be doing wrong? Also If there is a way to share the Drivers files that you used that would be great (I'm not sure if it was a matter of drivers or general clumsiness , please If you have a minute to check the video tell me what may be wrong on my "Technique") Thank you!!

Rockel

Nov 4, 2013
Tilburg
Huawei MediaPad T5
Moto G8 Plus
Hey there I just saw the message :D :D . Please if you can guide me a bit of what I may be doing wrong? Also If there is a way to share the Drivers files that you used that would be great (I'm not sure if it was a matter of drivers or general clumsiness , please If you have a minute to check the video tell me what may be wrong on my "Technique") Thank you!!
Just saw your responce now (please use reply next time, I will get an notification then :) ).

The "Kirin 65x (A)" you've used is the correct bootloader. So guess it would have been something going on with the drivers or the procedure.

I recently (about 1 month ago) rooted this tab myself so I think I will have quite recent files for doing so. Maybe I can send them to you if you like. But I should have save the websites where I got them from too. But need to check it up for you then.

Unlock Code Mediapad T5 (2).jpg

Did you have used the settings above?
You did had recieved the "New unlock code" message?

I have to go to work now, but I could help you further later this evening if you need further assistance (y)

Reactions: freddieventura
Dec 18, 2020
Just saw your responce now (please use reply next time, I will get an notification then :) ).

The "Kirin 65x (A)" you've used is the correct bootloader. So guess it would have been something going on with the drivers or the procedure.

I recently (about 1 month ago) rooted this tab myself so I think I will have quite recent files for doing so. Maybe I can send them to you if you like. But I should have save the websites where I got them from too. But need to check it up for you then.

View attachment 5391207

I have to go to work now, but I could help you further later this evening if you need further assistance (y)

Hi, thanks for assisting me. Yeah well, the version I used of PotatoNV(the last build) just had the option of Disable FBlock so I did that.
Also I tried wth a previous build that was showing both versions as you are showing and it happened the same thing.
My guess are more focused on 2 probable mistakes by my side either:
- When shorting the short point Im not doing it correctly. (not sure if this, as the device gets detected by PotatoNV and initiates the process)
- (Most likely thisone). Wrong drivers, I have downloaded them through a link found in a youtube video, and the video was not specific about this Tablet. Also there were a bunch of drivers within the same file so I installed one that looked like the correct one (but not 100% sure)

Anyways thanks for taking your time really and appreciate a reply but always whenever you find free time obviously. Take it easy today at work 💪

Rockel

Nov 4, 2013
Tilburg
Huawei MediaPad T5
Moto G8 Plus
Hi, thanks for assisting me. Yeah well, the version I used of PotatoNV(the last build) just had the option of Disable FBlock so I did that.
Also I tried wth a previous build that was showing both versions as you are showing and it happened the same thing.
- When shorting the short point Im not doing it correctly. (not sure if this, as the device gets detected by PotatoNV and initiates the process)
- (Most likely thisone). Wrong drivers, I have downloaded them through a link found in a youtube video, and the video was not specific about this Tablet. Also there were a bunch of drivers within the same file so I installed one that looked like the correct one (but not 100% sure)

Anyways thanks for taking your time really and appreciate a reply but always whenever you find free time obviously. Take it easy today at work 💪
Not sure, I should get into it again, but I'm not sure of potato is able to start the procesure or finding the divice if not shorted correctly.

Do you have a screenshot of your potato output/ results?

How are you performing the shorting procedure?

I can see if I can look for you for the right drivers tonight.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020
Not sure, I should get into it again, but I'm not sure of potato is able to start the procesure or finding the divice if not shorted correctly.

I hve uploaded the video which shows all the output and how Im shorting the point. The video though is composed by two takes and are not synced in time but that is how I do it.

Let me know if you can watch it on there. Thanks 👍

Reactions: Rockel

Rockel

Nov 4, 2013
Tilburg
Huawei MediaPad T5
Moto G8 Plus
I hve uploaded the video which shows all the output and how Im shorting the point. The video though is composed by two takes and are not synced in time but that is how I do it.

Oh yes, forgot about the video in the OP...
Seems you're folowing the wrong procedure with the shorting proces.
And seems your potato version is a bit outdated. But don't think this will be much of an issue.

- Your tablet needs to be turned off.
- cable removed from the tab.
- start potato
- then short the circuit (tab turned off).
- keep it shorted and insert the usb cabel (the other end should be in the computer already)
- the tablet starts (i believe in somekind of flash mode. And i believe you should not be able to see the Huawei logo in this procedure).
- after 2 or 3 seconds after booting, release the shorted circuit.
- i believe it should display you now some info about the tab itself in potato when you press start.

P.s. Don't forget to make a screenshot of the results or write down the newly given unlock code. So you can use it afterwards to lock or unlock your bootloader at a later moment, without opening the tab again.

P.s. 2 I just read in your comment that the recordings are not synchronised. So it's possible you were following the correct steps above. Correct me if I'm wrong please

Last edited:

Rockel

Nov 4, 2013
Tilburg
Huawei MediaPad T5
Moto G8 Plus

I'm home (finally)...
If the steps mentioned above didn't worked out, I would like to ask you to do axactly as I did. Just unlocked my Mediapad T5 just 1 month ago or so, so everything I've used should be recent enough I guess.

First:
- Un-install your potato version.
- Un-install your Mediapad T5 USB drivers.
So we can begin from scratch

Also:
- turn on OEM-unlock and USB-debugmode in developer settings.

I asume you have a decent and working ADB version installed on your PC?
If not, or when you're not sure, uninstall it too.
I was using the Minimal ADB and Fastboot from here:

Then:
1) Install the Huawei USB drivers from here:
(this) or (this) are the "official" sites I got this from.

2) Install the latest version of PotatoNV from here:

Open potatoNV and use these settings marked in red:

3) Plug the USB-cable into your PC already, but don't connect the other side to the tablet. And make sure your tablet is turned off.

4) Now short the testingpoint with a shielded part. I just used a thick copper wire and used it between testingpoint and metalshield just next to it. Metal pliers as used in your video should work too ofcourse.

IMG_20210720_055020061.jpg

P.S. I see that you also disconnected your screen in the video? It seems that it's verry important not to see a charging icon in the next step, so maybe it's better to connect it again for this step.

5) While still shorting the testingpoint with the shield, connect the USB cable to your tablet and be sure no charging icon pops up (This can be a bit difficult doing on your own. Easiest way is to have someone around te help in this step). After a few secconds when connected (without seeing an charging icon) remove the shorting between testingpoint and shield.

6) Make sure that the Huawei USB COM is selected in PotatoNV (and that the other settings are the same as the screenshot)

7) And pres "Start!"

8) You should get similar results now:

PotatoNV v2.2.1
User manual: https://kutt.it/pnv-en
Verifying images...
Uploading hisi65x_a...
- xloader
- fastboot
Waiting for any device...
Connecting...
Serial number: FQB***************
Board ID: FQB*************
Build number: AGS2-W09 8.0.0.360(OCEC431)
FBLOCK state: unlocked
Saved key: 6BN**************
Writing FBLOCK...
Writing WVLOCK...
Writing USRKEY...
Rebooting...
New unlock code: 3BS*************

p.s. In your video it seemed your device got disconnected somehow while uploading. You should not see that "timeout" message here now annymore.

9) Make a screenshot of your results, copy them to a text file or write down at least your "new unlock code"
So you won't have to open your tablet annymore in the future. You can use this newly obtained unlock code now to lock and unlock your tablet without opening again.

10) You should now see a warning screen everytime you reboot the tab. It warns you about that the device can't be trusted annymore because of the unlocked bootloader.

You can also enter Fastboot to check it
Fastboot/ Bootloader mode:
1. Turn off the device by holding the Power key for a few seconds.
2. Connect tablet to PC/laptop using the USB-cable.
3. Hold down Volume-Down.
4. Hold down the Power button until device starts (while still holding Volume-Down and USB connected).
4. Tablet boots now into Fastboot-mode.

You should see the following screen then (pay attention on the 2 red lines at the bottom):

2.jpg

You can close your tablet now!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020
I'm home (finally)...
If the steps mentioned above didn't worked out, I would like to ask you to do axactly as I did. Just unlocked my Mediapad T5 just 1 month ago or so, so everything I've used should be recent enough I guess.

First:

Also:

Then:

View attachment 5391609

3) Plug the USB-cable into your PC already, but don't connect the other side to the tablet. And make sure your tablet is turned off.

4) Now short the testingpoint with a shielded part. I just used a thick copper wire and used it between testingpoint and metalshield just next to it. Metal pliers as used in your video should work too ofcourse.

View attachment 5391623

P.S. I see that you also disconnected your screen in the video? It seems that it's verry important not to see a charging icon in the next step, so maybe it's better to connect it again for this step.

5) While still shorting the testingpoint with the shield, connect the USB cable to your tablet and be sure no charging icon pops up (This can be a bit difficult doing on your own. Easiest way is to have someone around te help in this step). After a few secconds when connected (without seeing an charging icon) remove the shorting between testingpoint and shield.

6) Make sure that the Huawei USB COM is selected in PotatoNV (and that the other settings are the same as the screenshot)

7) And pres "Start!"

PotatoNV v2.2.1
Verifying images...
Uploading hisi65x_a...
- xloader
- fastboot
Connecting...
Writing FBLOCK...
Writing WVLOCK...
Writing USRKEY...
Rebooting...

p.s. In your video it seemed your device got disconnected somehow while uploading. You should not see that "timeout" message here now annymore.

9) Make a screenshot of your results, copy them to a text file or write down at least your "new unlock code"
So you won't have to open your tablet annymore in the future. You can use this newly obtained unlock code now to lock and unlock your tablet without opening again.

10) You should now see a warning screen everytime you reboot the tab. It warns you about that the device can't be trusted annymore because of the unlocked bootloader.

4. Hold down the Power button until device starts (while still holding Volume-Down and USB connected).

You should see the following screen then (pay attention on the 2 red lines at the bottom):

View attachment 5391639

Thanks very much for your explanation , I will do this when I am back at home and let you know .

Cheers!!

Rockel

Nov 4, 2013
Tilburg
Huawei MediaPad T5
Moto G8 Plus
Thanks very much for your explanation , I will do this when I am back at home and let you know .

Cheers!!
Are you btw sure that the pliers you used in in the video are making a circuit from one point to the other? Maybe worthwile to measure the resistance first?

I just used a thick copper wire and bended it to an easy to use U-shape.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020
Are you btw sure that the pliers you used in in the video are making a circuit from one point to the other? Maybe worthwile to measure the resistance first?

I just used a thick copper wire and bended it to an easy to use U-shape.
Sorry Rockel I have been very busy this week , I'm gonna try and find a little bit of time to get this done this weekend . Thank you!!

Dec 18, 2020
No problem, take your time. Hope these steps wil solve your problem. Please keep me informed when you have time :)
Do angels wear capes? because I haven't seen yours :LOL: .

Much much much appreciate your help with this, I have just done it perfectly it didn't take me much time to do it.

Whatever I was doing wrong (probably the drivers , probably the shorting point thing not doing it properly) , whatever who cares!!.

I was also a bit not confident to do it that's why it took me time to get into doing it , but you definitely coached me with your messages :D .

Really thanks very much Rockel . For anything we keep in touch mate :D :D

Rockel

Nov 4, 2013
Tilburg
Huawei MediaPad T5
Moto G8 Plus
Do angels wear capes? because I haven't seen yours :LOL: .

Much much much appreciate your help with this, I have just done it perfectly it didn't take me much time to do it.

Whatever I was doing wrong (probably the drivers , probably the shorting point thing not doing it properly) , whatever who cares!!.

I was also a bit not confident to do it that's why it took me time to get into doing it , but you definitely coached me with your messages :D .

Really thanks very much Rockel . For anything we keep in touch mate :D :D

Hehehehe, thanks for your nice responce! 😁
So I asume You've managed to root unlock the device now! :)

It was a pleasure assisting you in this.

If you need anny other information regarding this rooted device, please let me know. I'm not a pro with this. But had to solve a few problems myself. And came there with the help of others aswell.

Last edited:

denzelcris

Jun 26, 2013
Bucharest
The unlock code can be used to unlock bootloader (using something like "adb oem unlock <code>" from PC)

I have saved the OTA folder form huawei system update app just before updating from 8.0.0.320(C432) to 8.0.0.371(C432), it can be found in /data/HwOUC folder after updater finished downloading. This version cannot be found on HuaweiFirmwareFinder site but I have temporary shared then here. Perhaps we could contact the authors to upload this version.

You can later use HuaweiFirmwareExtractor to extract different images from the zip files (no clue why there are 3 of them).
You need to disable "Verify Header checksums" in the "Settings" to open the extracted update.app files from the zips.
Good luck!

vmahe53

Dec 3, 2014
Huawei MediaPad T5
The unlock code can be used to unlock bootloader (using something like "adb oem unlock <code>" from PC)

I have saved the OTA folder form huawei system update app just before updating from 8.0.0.320(C432) to 8.0.0.371(C432), it can be found in /data/HwOUC folder after updater finished downloading. This version cannot be found on HuaweiFirmwareFinder site but I have temporary shared then here. Perhaps we could contact the authors to upload this version.

You can later use HuaweiFirmwareExtractor to extract different images from the zip files (no clue why there are 3 of them).
You need to disable "Verify Header checksums" in the "Settings" to open the extracted update.app files from the zips.
Good luck!
thank you .. but i extract app didnt uderstand which img file to install there no exact name for boot.img, recovery.img, cust.img, can you plz tell me which file equal to those file..

denzelcris

Jun 26, 2013
Bucharest
I don't think Huawei has boot.img or recovery.img, they may have a different layout and names (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I know the equivalent of boot.img is ramdisk.img or kernel.img (I flash both when restoring to be sure) and recovery should be recovery_ramdisk.img. The names from HuaweiExtractor should match with the images. Cust.img can be found in the other zip: update_full_AGS2-W09_hw_eu.
There is also this partition layout table which I don't know how it works for Huawei but I know that it may change for different firmwares so it is usefull to have remembered what version you had previously or use a safe tool to flash that also.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'm home (finally)...

First:

Also:

Then:

IMG_20210720_055020061.jpg

7) And pres "Start!"

PotatoNV v2.2.1
    Verifying images...
    Uploading hisi65x_a...
    - xloader
    - fastboot
    Connecting...
    Writing FBLOCK...
    Writing WVLOCK...
    Writing USRKEY...
    Rebooting...

2.jpg

Maybe I can help you with this. Recently rooted this tab myself. Please give me a reminder tomorrow :)