Turn AT&T into a the global variant

Search This thread
After a bit of experimenting (and a lot of fights with the bootloader since it always decided to relock itself preventing me from simply using fastboot) I managed to get the global fw to run on an AT&T device.

TLDR: You can just dd the global partitions while rooted and then restore through adb sideload.

Guide: https://github.com/filiphsandstrom/surface-duo

edchuxda

May 19, 2018
quick question.
for step number 2 "Use payload_dumper from the rooting guide to extract the partition images", am i extracting the partition images from the Global version or the AT&T version?

none24

Jun 25, 2014
So does this mean anyone using this firmware has sim unlock? I saw on the GitHub you mentioned it works on another network outside of AT&T

Eazii

I just wanted to thank the OP for making this process easy with the instructions and for the new life given to this phone. Now that the phone has been converted to the global version what happens if another update comes down the pipe? Do we flash the global version, at&t version or sit tight and await further instructions 😂😂?

Reactions: Vvfelix

Hoffman404

Feb 1, 2022
@Draco32 or @filfat

First:

1|duo:/data/local/tmp # chmod +x globalify.sh && ./globalify.sh;
./globalify.sh[7]: syntax error: unexpected 'newline'
1|duo:/data/local/tmp #

Why error?

Next:

I am assisted by the guide on this page:

I'm on step 8. At 47%, it shows me an aborted installation message. Reason: incompatibility.

How to solve it?

I took the system from:

Last edited:

Draco32

Nov 22, 2009
@Draco32 or @filfat

First:

1|duo:/data/local/tmp # chmod +x globalify.sh && ./globalify.sh;
./globalify.sh[7]: syntax error: unexpected 'newline'
1|duo:/data/local/tmp #

Why error?

Next:

I am assisted by the guide on this page:

I'm on step 8. At 47%, it shows me an aborted installation message. Reason: incompatibility.

How to solve it?

I took the system from:
The way i did it to simplify was to just copy and paste the commands unfortunately my shell wasn't executing the script correctly I had some errors

Reactions: filfat

Vvfelix

Feb 12, 2022
I just wanted to thank the OP for making this process easy with the instructions and for the new life given to this phone. Now that the phone has been converted to the global version what happens if another update comes down the pipe? Do we flash the global version, at&t version, or sit tight and await further instructions 😂😂?
I have the same question when the duo announcing the newest OTA. The at&t Duo which turned to a global variant can update by OTA or must flash the new images by this method.

none24

Jun 25, 2014
The way i did it to simplify was to just copy and paste the commands unfortunately my shell wasn't executing the script correctly I had some errors
copy and paste what commands exactly? are you saying do each .img 1 by 1? or something else? i copy/paste the commands from the github but i got stuck at 47% same as the other guy.

Eazii

I just received a OTA update and it failed. I followed this method to unlock my At&t version.

How do I go about updating, but more importantly which OTA should I be looking to flash, At&t or Global?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220318-221302.png
    Screenshot_20220318-221302.png
    651.5 KB · Views: 36

Top Liked Posts