• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Turn Off AOD?

Search This thread

dnaL0R

Oct 11, 2009
right, so when those features are disabled, NOTHING should bring the display back on unless u press the power button... again, to unlock the phone: press the power button to wake phone and it brings up the lock screen, then u place your finger on the scanner, done... there is no active fingerprint scanning while the screen is off, so no need to know where it is, must hit the power button to wake, basically how phones used to be before these new features were implemented.

andre0005

May 15, 2014
My phone does this too. it's like there is some kind of proximity check. i have it set on my desk and sometimes when i move too close the screen turns on. i have lift to wake and aod disabled completly. I'm just happy that i'm not the only one..

m03sizlak

Jun 28, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I fixed all my problems with my pixel 6 pro. BY RETURNING IT.

First time in my life I got a new phone and hated it. Not only did I hate it, I REALLY hated it. I was even enraged by it. Returning it is the best thing I could do.

• Haha
Reactions: DocWalt

buschris

Jan 20, 2011
Not sure why people have to ask how to turn it off, it was off from the factory. I had to enable it.

MichRT

Sep 9, 2011
Google Nexus 4
HTC Wildfire S
Like krips2003 and others said, this is correct and documented behavior. If the phone notices movement, regardless of display settings, it will wake the display just enough to allow greater touch inputs. This lets you use the fingerprint sensor, or swipe up if one is not set up or if Smart Lock is active.

This is very different behavior to "Lift to Check Phone", which fully wakes the display in full color and functionality. Also different from AOD, since you still need to lift or tap the screen from AOD to unlock it, even without a pass code or fingerprint set up.

Regardless of settings, the screen will also fully turn off when it detects it is in a pocket or bag.

andre0005

May 15, 2014
Like krips2003 and others said, this is correct and documented behavior. If the phone notices movement, regardless of display settings, it will wake the display just enough to allow greater touch inputs. This lets you use the fingerprint sensor, or swipe up if one is not set up or if Smart Lock is active.

This is very different behavior to "Lift to Check Phone", which fully wakes the display in full color and functionality. Also different from AOD, since you still need to lift or tap the screen from AOD to unlock it, even without a pass code or fingerprint set up.

Regardless of settings, the screen will also fully turn off when it detects it is in a pocket or bag.
Is this the case with older pixels too? Mine wakes up for seemingly no reason. If you say it's documented would you mind linking to your source? I've never experienced this before and i find it quite useless.

MichRT

Sep 9, 2011
Google Nexus 4
HTC Wildfire S
Is this the case with older pixels too? Mine wakes up for seemingly no reason. If you say it's documented would you mind linking to your source? I've never experienced this before and i find it quite useless.
It is for the Pixel 4, I'm unsure about others. It has to do with getMode and getState in the Display documentation: https://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/Display

As far as I understand (which isn't very far) these AMOLED panels have states in between "Off" and "On". This allows for "Low Power/Low Refresh" modes and, as Samsung calls it, "Guided screen-off inputs". It's why there is a brief hiccup in the display with AOD on, as the screen switches to low refresh/low power mode. Same can be said for some Android Wear watch displays when it switches to AOD/Ambient.

If I remember correctly the Pixel 4/4XL could either be lifted into a low power/b&w ambient mode if "Lift to Check" was off, or the full fat lockscreen if "Lift to Check" was on. Either way, the screen turned on to provide feedback for face recognition. This same function (or at least the idea of it) *new for P6* applied here I think to help transition the display into a state where the fingerprint sensor is active, and to provide feedback on it.

*edit* Also worth checking your notification settings, since they will wake the display regardless of movement if left default.*

*editedit* It's been brought to my attention that I was wrong about the P4 screen behavior, and crossed those sections out.*

Some of this is just speculation and I will happily be proven wrong. I'm just doing my best here and I am not an expert, but from what I've looked into and dealt with this is the conclusion I came to.

Last edited:

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
Just been looking at this some more, there are differences in behaviour, so with ambient display off.

1) No finger print and Lift to check is on: Picking up the phone then Lock screen shows showing wall paper (if set), or if unlocked then straight into the phone. Needs to be a decisive lifting up to trigger this and the results is equivalent to pressing the power button.

2) No finger print and Lift to check is off: Nothing happens on picking up the phone.

3) Finger print set and Lift to check is off: Picking up or even just moving the phone slightly triggers the screen to come on, this screen is the same screen as ambient display, i.e. grey text on black, no wallpaper, just the minimum to sip the absolute lowest amount of power, which I suspect is to show you where to place your finger.

4) Finger print set and Lift to check is on: Now there are two modes, if the phone is only moved slightly this will trigger as per 3 above. If their is a decisive lifting up of the phone, then it is as per 1.

So it seems adding a finger print enables what I'm calling TOD (temporary on display), the same power efficient ambient on display that gets turned on for a short time to let you see where your finger needs to go that gets triggered with very small movements of the phone to anticipate that perhaps it is going to be used. However, this can skip straight to full power on lock screen if Lift to check is on and the phone is decisively lifted.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
It is for the Pixel 4, I'm unsure about others. It has to do with getMode and getState in the Display documentation: https://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/Display

If I remember correctly the Pixel 4/4XL could either be lifted into a low power/b&w ambient mode if "Lift to Check" was off, or the full fat lockscreen if "Lift to Check" was on. Either way, the screen turned on to provide feedback for face recognition. This same function (or at least the idea of it) is applied here I think to help transition the display into a state where the fingerprint sensor is active, and to provide feedback on it.
This is not the case for my Pixel 4XL. When lift to check is disabled I can lift my phone and the screen will not turn on, even for a nanosecond. However, I do have tap to check enabled and that may come into play.

Despite its intentions on the Pixel 6, I do think there should be a setting or behavior where even if you touch your phone it shouldn't turn on even with a fingerprint enabled, and even if it is for a brief moment.

cursixx

Nov 4, 2013
This is super annoying. Even with a small movement around the phone triggers the screen to turn on. I looked for hours to turn this off before finding this post. I'm moving from a pixel 4 xl too.

Reactions: andre0005

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
This is super annoying. Even with a small movement around the phone triggers the screen to turn on. I looked for hours to turn this off before finding this post. I'm moving from a pixel 4 xl too.
Does it matter though? I quite like it now as I can give it a bit of a wiggle and check if notifications have arrived when I wasn't around to hear them (why can we not have a notification LED behind the screen), or can check the time. If it comes on by itself for no reason because it's felt a vibration, it's only on a couple of seconds and its sort of its personality :) Power drain is inconsequential as it doesn't power up the whole phone, its just a brief turn on of ambient display.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

cursixx

Nov 4, 2013
Does it matter though? I quite like it now as I can give it a bit of a wiggle and check if notifications have arrived when I wasn't around to hear them (why can we not have a notification LED behind the screen), or can check the time. If it comes on by itself for no reason because it's felt a vibration, it's only on a couple of seconds and its sort of its personality :) Power drain is inconsequential as it doesn't power up the whole phone, its just a brief turn on of ambient display.
Yes it matters when you turned off the options and it still turns the screen on. "When the screen is off" "don't turn screen on" is check and it still turns on. There was already an option to lift phone to wake if you wanted the screen to turn on. I never said anything about power usage.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I quite agree, there should be an option to disable this temporary display. What they are doing is trying to make sure you can use the fingerprint reader as a one press thing, rather than press power button then put finger on scanner.

I'm sure the option will arrive to turn it off completely. You know Google everything is BETA!
    This is by design so when you lift phone with fingerprint enabled you can unlock without power button. Easy to disable through adb. Use following command, fingerprint still works you will just have to push power button first.

"adb shell settings put secure doze_quick_pickup_gesture 0"
    Just been looking at this some more, there are differences in behaviour, so with ambient display off.

1) No finger print and Lift to check is on: Picking up the phone then Lock screen shows showing wall paper (if set), or if unlocked then straight into the phone. Needs to be a decisive lifting up to trigger this and the results is equivalent to pressing the power button.

2) No finger print and Lift to check is off: Nothing happens on picking up the phone.

3) Finger print set and Lift to check is off: Picking up or even just moving the phone slightly triggers the screen to come on, this screen is the same screen as ambient display, i.e. grey text on black, no wallpaper, just the minimum to sip the absolute lowest amount of power, which I suspect is to show you where to place your finger.

4) Finger print set and Lift to check is on: Now there are two modes, if the phone is only moved slightly this will trigger as per 3 above. If their is a decisive lifting up of the phone, then it is as per 1.

So it seems adding a finger print enables what I'm calling TOD (temporary on display), the same power efficient ambient on display that gets turned on for a short time to let you see where your finger needs to go that gets triggered with very small movements of the phone to anticipate that perhaps it is going to be used. However, this can skip straight to full power on lock screen if Lift to check is on and the phone is decisively lifted.

As far as I understand (which isn't very far) these AMOLED panels have states in between "Off" and "On". This allows for "Low Power/Low Refresh" modes and, as Samsung calls it, "Guided screen-off inputs". It's why there is a brief hiccup in the display with AOD on, as the screen switches to low refresh/low power mode. Same can be said for some Android Wear watch displays when it switches to AOD/Ambient.

If I remember correctly the Pixel 4/4XL could either be lifted into a low power/b&w ambient mode if "Lift to Check" was off, or the full fat lockscreen if "Lift to Check" was on. Either way, the screen turned on to provide feedback for face recognition. This same function (or at least the idea of it) *new for P6* applied here I think to help transition the display into a state where the fingerprint sensor is active, and to provide feedback on it.

*edit* Also worth checking your notification settings, since they will wake the display regardless of movement if left default.*

*editedit* It's been brought to my attention that I was wrong about the P4 screen behavior, and crossed those sections out.*

Some of this is just speculation and I will happily be proven wrong. I'm just doing my best here and I am not an expert, but from what I've looked into and dealt with this is the conclusion I came to.
    I don't know about you guys, but it's working for me on P6P. Once 'Always show time and info' is disabled and both, 'Tap to check phone' and 'Lift to check the phone' is set to 'On'. The screen is dead black until I 'Tap' or 'Lift' the phone. If I disable either of the feature, it works as intended. And if I disable the both feature, the screen won't lit up until I press the power button.

FYI... I'm on the latest Build Number: SD1A.210817.036

Hope this helps!

Turn off your screen when you're not using it​

1. Open your phone's Settings app.
    2. Tap Display
      and then
      Lock screen.
    3. Turn off your screen when you're not using it:
      • Pixel 4: Tap Idle lock screen
        and then
        Off.
      • All other Pixels: Turn off Always show time and info.