1. Open your phone's Settings app.
  2. Tap Display
    and then
    Lock screen.
  3. Turn off your screen when you're not using it:
    • Pixel 4: Tap Idle lock screen
      and then
      Off.
    • All other Pixels: Turn off Always show time and info.

dnaL0R

Oct 11, 2009
+1
i couldn't handle seeing the huge clock, so i disabled everything, but the screen randomly comes on without pressing the power button to wake, even though i have all relevant settings mentioned above turned off... def a bug

Reactions: PhilipL2021

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
+1
i couldn't handle seeing the huge clock, so i disabled everything, but the screen randomly comes on without pressing the power button to wake, even though i have all relevant settings mentioned above turned off... def a bug
I'm beginning to think it is by design so you can always find the finger print scanner position to just touch it and turn on.

dnaL0R

Oct 11, 2009
nope, the screen should not come on at all without pressing the power button with those settings turned off...

the display options mentioned are pretty self explanatory and should not be enabled if they are set to OFF...

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
nope, the screen should not come on at all without pressing the power button with those settings turned off...

the display options mentioned are pretty self explanatory and should not be enabled if they are set to OFF...
I quite agree. However when you have a finger print scanner under the glass and no idea exactly where it is, and it is expected a single action of placing a finger on the phone turns it on and unlocks it, you need some indication on the display where your finger needs to be. So I think they've decided to always show an indication if they detect the phone might be about to be used, and as the screen is on anyway, they might as well show some notification messages and the charge status as they might normally. The screen also comes on sliding it out of a pouch I've notice without picking it up.

If the screen didn't show any information, but just displayed the finger print icon, would it then seem to be working correctly?

Maybe if you remove the finger print unlock option, does it still turn on? I've not tried that.

Google as they are, settings don't always mean what they say!

Reactions: MichRT

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
It's a shame that Soli is gone now. I loved the AOD + Soli feature from my P4 XL that enabled you to deactivate AOD, EXCEPT if you were close to the phone, then it activated automatically. That feature was awesome. Saved battery and only gave you the information you wanted exactly when you needed them.

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
It's a shame that Soli is gone now. I loved the AOD + Soli feature from my P4 XL that enabled you to deactivate AOD, EXCEPT if you were close to the phone, then it activated automatically. That feature was awesome. Saved battery and only gave you the information you wanted exactly when you needed them.
There is no reason why they couldn't do this now just using the proximity sensor, so if on a desk, something waving across the phone would be seen by the proximity sensor and it could turn on. I'm sure it already does something like this so it knows when it is being removed from a pocket or case. If you point another mobile phone camera at it, you can see the infrared proximity sensor is always flashing checking for things in front of it. Maybe someone has a patent on this idea so they can't do it?

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
I quite agree. However when you have a finger print scanner under the glass and no idea exactly where it is, and it is expected a single action of placing a finger on the phone turns it on and unlocks it, you need some indication on the display where your finger needs to be. So I think they've decided to always show an indication if they detect the phone might be about to be used, and as the screen is on anyway, they might as well show some notification messages and the charge status as they might normally. The screen also comes on sliding it out of a pouch I've notice without picking it up.

If the screen didn't show any information, but just displayed the finger print icon, would it then seem to be working correctly?

Maybe if you remove the finger print unlock option, does it still turn on? I've not tried that.

Google as they are, settings don't always mean what they say!
Can confirm that after removing fingerprints this is no longer happening. Whether it is a bug or a "feature" connected with fingerprint unlocking, who knows...

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
Can confirm that after removing fingerprints this is no longer happening. Whether it is a bug or a "feature" connected with fingerprint unlocking, who knows...

I think this is a feature but in typical Google style they have forced this on everyone without a note in the settings to explain the behaviour. They should have disabled the option to turn off the 'turn on' on picking up option, with a note underneath saying something like "The display will always turn on when picked up when the finger print unlock is in use, this is so you can see where to place your finger to unlock.".

That would have saved us a lot of wondering. If I can come up with that, why can't Google?

krips2003

Sep 27, 2009
Louisville
I don't know about you guys, but it's working for me on P6P. Once 'Always show time and info' is disabled and both, 'Tap to check phone' and 'Lift to check the phone' is set to 'On'. The screen is dead black until I 'Tap' or 'Lift' the phone. If I disable either of the feature, it works as intended. And if I disable the both feature, the screen won't lit up until I press the power button.

FYI... I'm on the latest Build Number: SD1A.210817.036

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211028-100837.png
    Screenshot_20211028-100837.png
    221.6 KB · Views: 104

bouchigo

Jan 17, 2008
Stockton
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Pixel 2 XL
I don't know about you guys, but it's working for me on P6P. Once 'Always show time and info' is disabled and both, 'Tap to check phone' and 'Lift to check the phone' is set to 'On'. The screen is dead black until I 'Tap' or 'Lift' the phone. If I disable either of the feature, it works as intended. And if I disable the both feature, the screen won't lit up until I press the power button.

Do you have a fingerprint(s) setup, or are you not using the fingerprint function?

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just been looking at this some more, there are differences in behaviour, so with ambient display off.

1) No finger print and Lift to check is on: Picking up the phone then Lock screen shows showing wall paper (if set), or if unlocked then straight into the phone. Needs to be a decisive lifting up to trigger this and the results is equivalent to pressing the power button.

2) No finger print and Lift to check is off: Nothing happens on picking up the phone.

3) Finger print set and Lift to check is off: Picking up or even just moving the phone slightly triggers the screen to come on, this screen is the same screen as ambient display, i.e. grey text on black, no wallpaper, just the minimum to sip the absolute lowest amount of power, which I suspect is to show you where to place your finger.

4) Finger print set and Lift to check is on: Now there are two modes, if the phone is only moved slightly this will trigger as per 3 above. If their is a decisive lifting up of the phone, then it is as per 1.

So it seems adding a finger print enables what I'm calling TOD (temporary on display), the same power efficient ambient on display that gets turned on for a short time to let you see where your finger needs to go that gets triggered with very small movements of the phone to anticipate that perhaps it is going to be used. However, this can skip straight to full power on lock screen if Lift to check is on and the phone is decisively lifted.

Is this the case with older pixels too? Mine wakes up for seemingly no reason. If you say it's documented would you mind linking to your source? I've never experienced this before and i find it quite useless.
    It is for the Pixel 4, I'm unsure about others. It has to do with getMode and getState in the Display documentation: https://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/Display

As far as I understand (which isn't very far) these AMOLED panels have states in between "Off" and "On". This allows for "Low Power/Low Refresh" modes and, as Samsung calls it, "Guided screen-off inputs". It's why there is a brief hiccup in the display with AOD on, as the screen switches to low refresh/low power mode. Same can be said for some Android Wear watch displays when it switches to AOD/Ambient.

If I remember correctly the Pixel 4/4XL could either be lifted into a low power/b&w ambient mode if "Lift to Check" was off, or the full fat lockscreen if "Lift to Check" was on. Either way, the screen turned on to provide feedback for face recognition. This same function (or at least the idea of it) *new for P6* applied here I think to help transition the display into a state where the fingerprint sensor is active, and to provide feedback on it.

*edit* Also worth checking your notification settings, since they will wake the display regardless of movement if left default.*

*editedit* It's been brought to my attention that I was wrong about the P4 screen behavior, and crossed those sections out.*

Some of this is just speculation and I will happily be proven wrong. I'm just doing my best here and I am not an expert, but from what I've looked into and dealt with this is the conclusion I came to.

Hope this helps!

Turn off your screen when you're not using it​

1. Open your phone's Settings app.
    2. Tap Display
      and then
      Lock screen.
    3. Turn off your screen when you're not using it:
      • Pixel 4: Tap Idle lock screen
        and then
        Off.
      • All other Pixels: Turn off Always show time and info.