Turn off shutter sound from pixel bought in japan

Search This thread

keanghok

Nov 12, 2020
Due to pixel was not sold I was buying pixel 5 from japan. I thought if I flash a US ROM the shutter sound (japan shutter sound law) will go away but it seems like it is still going strong even after I used Cambodia sim. It was used outside japan so if anybody able to turn it off ? or I flashed the wrong ROM
this is the image that I had flashed
11.0.0 (RD1A.201105.003.C1, Nov 2020)

cescman

Nov 5, 2013
It looks like from android 11 Google has made it very difficult if not impossible to turn off shutter sound on phones sold in Japan. There are a few workarounds but none are perfect
1. Root and replace the shutter sound files with silent sound. All the camera functions are retained but the phone becomes less secure and you may not be able to use banking apps or Google pay
2. Use of third party camera apps or modified Google camera app

keanghok

Nov 12, 2020
It looks like from android 11 Google has made it very difficult if not impossible to turn off shutter sound on phones sold in Japan. There are a few workarounds but none are perfect
1. Root and replace the shutter sound files with silent sound. All the camera functions are retained but the phone becomes less secure and you may not be able to use banking apps or Google pay
2. Use of third party camera apps or modified Google camera app

I thought that it was from software so if we able to flash a US based rom and living outside of japan it would be able to do the trick guess Im going to wait for Gcam mode to come to pixel 5 then. Thank you

ziand

Apr 24, 2008
HTC U12+
Google Pixel 5
Could you please elaborate on this? Getting my Japanese Pixel soon and wish I can do this the first day if possible
Ok.
1. Unlock your bootloader
2. Boot to TWRP. Today it is test9 version and it works on Android 11 (So, downgrade if you are on A12)
3. From TWRP run (menu - install) this script: MID_Changer_v2.10-MAGISK-TWRP.zip
4. Choose GTT9Q Model ID (it is Euro Union, Australia) for changing
5. Flash global version Factory Image with device wiping (it can be A12 one)
6. Lock the bootloader. Done
Enjoy

Last edited:

HarryShan

Nov 12, 2014
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6
Ok.
2. Boot to TWRP. Today it is test9 version and it works on Android 11 (So, downgrade if you are on A12)
3. From TWRP run (menu - install) this script: MID_Changer_v1.02-TWRP.zip
Enjoy
Much appreciated for your work!

Unfortunately I'm getting a Japan Pixel6. The same trick seems impossible because of TWRP support and your patch only supporting Pixel 5.
However your patch still provided some insights. i.e. CDT partition for storing MID info.

I'll take a look on Pixel6 once I get it. Hope it behaves in a similar fashion.

arnteo

Feb 2, 2014
Ok.
Enjoy

Is there anyone who tried this and confirmed to be working? I am a bit hesitant to try this but I also want to get rid of the camera shutter. Thanks.

HarryShan

Nov 12, 2014
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6
Ok.
Enjoy
Got my Japan Pixel 6 today. Turns out the SKU info is stored in devinfo partition. Replace the original "GR1YH" with global SKU "GB7N6" and it's done. No wipe/reflash required.

1637400692450.png

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: naoti and voxx13

ziand

Apr 24, 2008
HTC U12+
Google Pixel 5
Hello, can you please kindly walk me through on how to do this? I have a pixel 4a 5g. Do I need root? Your help is very much appreciated. Thank you very much.
You can not convert your japan version of 4a 5g to European one because 4a 5g has different hardware of each version: US - USA, ROW - EU and Australia, JPN - Japan.
Even if you change Model ID manually (it is possible), your phone will stay Japan version anyway and it won't help with sound in your camera.
It is possible for Pixel 5 because Japan and European phones have the same hardware - ROW (Rest Of World). Look at your screen bootloader mode of 4a 5g.

But you can switch off the sound in camera with Magisk module. You have to be with root for it.

arnteo

Feb 2, 2014
You can not convert your japan version of 4a 5g to European one because 4a 5g has different hardware of each version: US - USA, ROW - EU and Australia, JPN - Japan.
Even if you change Model ID manually (it is possible), your phone will stay Japan version anyway and it won't help with sound in your camera.
It is possible for Pixel 5 because Japan and European phones have the same hardware - ROW (Rest Of World). Look at your screen bootloader mode of 4a 5g.

But you can switch off the sound in camera with Magisk module. You have to be with root for it.
Are you sure that they have different hardware? This is sad if that is the case. I guess I will just have to live with the shutter sound. Or I will just root in the future.

Top Liked Posts