[TUT] A mini-tutorial on rearranging the Manila Home Screen

Search This thread

del4

Jan 25, 2007
Arizona
Modifying date display under Manila 2.1

Before installing Gen.Y Manila 2.1 over my stock ROM, I was able to edit the 590ad244_manila file to include the day of the week in the date display on the Home Tab. When I tried the same thing under Manila 2.1, all of the items on the Home Tab displayed IDS_xxx, so obviously what I had done before no longer works.

Does anyone know what I need to edit to get Monday, Nov 16 instead of Nov 16, 2009? I can usually remember the current year, but not necessarily the day of the week. ;)

Kamill

Sep 28, 2008
Advanced Config Tool > Menu > More settings > TouchFlo (ignore the error) > enter your desired date format (delete yyyy) > OK (ignore the error) > SR > voila :D

stegg

Aug 29, 2008
Milan
File 47dd6acd_manila (mode9), look for 'MessageText' and change 'Font Size' to a desired value - some time ago I tried to increase the size of the font and somehow it did not work, but I hope it'll work now.

in manila 2.1 there are 2 "MessageText" fields, both indicates a font size of 24... how it can be? in my screen they're really tiny!
forgive me for this noob question :D but i'd like really to figure out how to increase font in sms tab!

Kamill

Sep 28, 2008
To be sure, you can change the values in both MessageText sections (the appropriate one is rather the latter).

To make the font more clear (if you fail changing the font size) you can either try to use my mod from this thread or try to change it on your own (change the paths: ..\HelveticaNeueOTS.TTF to ..\HelveticaNeue LT 35 Thin.ttf and the name of the font too).

Also, after you change the font, you can try to increase the size of it - maybe it will work.

Iconoclasm

Oct 30, 2009
I'm trying this for a while now.
Well, I have a problem.

25d04412_manila is somehow read only and I can't change it with total commander. So..

I tried to replace it with my modified, but it wouldn't override. Just put it in the directory as the original wouldn't be there.
I'f I delete it, the original file comes back right away.

same as if I install the modified with cab file.

My Manila dosn't change at all. Not after restart, not after reboot.

any Idea? :)

Last edited:

Kamill

Sep 28, 2008
That's weird. I've been modifying this file for my CompactHome mod and there was no problem with replacing it by a cab. What program are you using to create the cab package?

Iconoclasm

Oct 30, 2009
I uses the WinCE Cab Manager.
But I also tried it manually.

With the 1c684cd8_manila file I have no problems at all.

Maybe it's the Manila version. I'v 2.1

I'm right now using 1c684cd8_manila file for that what I wanted to to (moving Date and Alarm Clock) It works fine.

So right now I have no Problem anymore. But I thought it's in the 25d04412_manila file?
Have I missunderstood something?

Kamill

Sep 28, 2008
I'm also using WinCE CM... and I have also edited that file for Manila/Sense 2.1. I really have no clue why it's not working. Please download my CompactHome mod (link in my sig), open it by WinCE CM and delete all of the files except the 25d04412_manila. Then install it and see if it works.

Iconoclasm

Oct 30, 2009
Ah! It worked. The read only is gone away.
Well I already have what I wanted, but I'm sure I'm gona play around soon again.

Thank you very much :)

Kamill

Sep 28, 2008
7c60907d_manila - this is the mode9 file for the home tab
22e41977_manila - this is the lua script for landscape (and portrait) mode

hope_1

Jan 2, 2008
hello i wan't to change the font color in the tabs to black....i got manila 2012. First I copy all _manila files from /windows to my storage card and next to my computer but i don't know which files i must use. I try to find the files which names is the same like here -> wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=Manila_Research (sorry i can't add normal links) , but I don't have it! ;/
I wan't change this color on the all tabs except home tab. Could you tell me which files I must edit on the m9editor ?

ps. sorry for my bad english...
Edit/Delete Message

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rearranging the Manila Home Screen

What do I need to know?
    Manila uses few types of files: qtc, xml, mode9 and lua. First one is for graphics, second usually for different languages (although not only) and the two last ones are the ones we are interested in. Mode9 files contain information on position, visibility and other properties of almost every element on Manila tabs. Lua files contain different functions, used for animations, updating info and so on.
    For editing the Home Screen we need the mode9 file - 1c684cd8_manila and the lua script - 25d04412_manila. You can find these files (from each Manila, starting from 1.0 and ending on 2.5) on this forum.

What tools do I need?
    Editing mode9 files is quiet easy. You just have to run m9editor, open the file, make the changes you want and save it. Changing stuff in lua scripts is a bit more complicated, as you have to decompile it. Shorter scripts are easily decompilated by luadec, but some longer ones require us to correct errors. Fortunately, the lua script we have to change is easily decompilated (though there can be a problem with the if condition). To do this follow these points:
    - copy luadec.exe and luac.exe to the folder you where you have the lua script (let's say it's c:\compacthome\mod\)
    - press Windows Logo + R (or Start > Run) and type cmd
    - go to the folder containing the lua script (in this case it's cd \compacthome\mod\)
    - type luadec script_name > script_name.txt - where script_name is the script you want to decompile (for example 25d04412_manila) and script_name.txt is the name of the output file, which we will edit
    - in case of errors you have to correct them (look for the lua decompiling tutorial by sztupy)
    - once you have the script decompiled you don't need to do it again.
    - open the output file and change whatever you want
    - to compile the file just type luac -o script_name script_name.txt, where script_name is the file we want to have the script_name.txt compiled

What can I change?
    When you open the mode9 file we want to edit, expand the tree and you'll see many sections called 'Object'. Below them there are few lines called 'Property'. What you can easily change is:
    - Position - just change the value of X and Y (center position (X=0, Y=0) and axis are different for most of the objects - you have to test this)
    - Visibility - True or False (sometimes you may have to change the size of a image to 0x0, so that it won't show never)
    - Font
    - Font Size
    - Color of text in RGB format - if Property is not available, add it

In the 25d04412_manila script you can change positions of many objects in both portrait and landscape mode.
    - TabsLeft - left part of the clock (animated)
    - TabsRight - right part of the clock (animated)
    - clock_tabs - background of the clock (pile of tabs)
    - alarm_clock - alarm info and date
    - NotifiCamera3D - notifications & appointments
    - NotificationShiftY - shifting of appointments when changing to small clock
    To change the position just modify the first two parameters of Vector3(X, Y, Z) - both CameraPosition.value and LookAtPosition.value.

How to save and test the changes in a fast way?
    Open a cab creator (for example WinCE Cab Manager) and add the files you changed to /Windows. Save the cab, copy it to your device, install and reboot Manila. You can also copy manually the file, but I prefer the first way, because in case of any problems you can easily uninstall the cab and get the default Home Screen.

How to get the Home Screen working with Background4AllTabs?
    Just open the 1c684cd8_manila file by m9editor, look for 'HomeBackground' and delete the whole paragraph which contains it (from <Object>Type="Group" to the next <Object>Type="Group").

- - -​

If you have any suggestions, propositions or ideas, please write them in this thread, I'll try to complete this tutorial, so it will be useful for everyone. Thanks!