[TUT][ARC]how to get rooted 2.3.3 with locked bootloader

Search This thread

kistigun

First of all thanks to kokbiel for discovering this!

Do not try this if you have an unlocked bootloader or if you dont know what your doing! I'm not resposible if you break or brick your phone!

If you're allready on a rooted .181 or .184 and OTA update is available for you just update your firmware. If there is no OTA update available for your customazation version follow these instuctions:
- flash back to 3.0.A.2.181 generic with the flashtool
- Use Gingerbreak or Superoneclick to root your device
- Update your Arc using a OTA(over the air) update(Go to settings->About phone->Software update)
- Enjoy your rooted 2.3.3!!!

Update 1: it seems that the OTA update is not working if you did any modifications to/deleted system files so it's adviced to always flash the .181 firmware provided in this post
Update 2: if you have any battery problems after flashing the .181 firmware(if it's only showing 1%) removing the battery for a few minutes should solve this
Update 3: thanks to ricstc we now have a video tutorial on how to follow these instructions
Update 4: if you want you can keep your user data by unchecking the whipe user data in the flashtool while selecting the correct ftf file. this will cause a lot of error message's on 2.3.2 but just click them away and continue the procedure, after upgrading again to 2.3.3 the error message's will be gone!
Update 5: this methode still works with the new 4.0.A.2.368 firmware! if you don't get the OTA update with the provided .181 firmware try flashing the .184 firmware and try the OTA again

At the moment there are a lot of battery problems when you downgrade from 2.3.4 if you have any problem follow this or this thread for a possible solution

Last edited:

tRippinthehead

Dec 8, 2010
finds the update, but then I can not update via OTA, the phone says to me - "could not connect to network" :(

kistigun

But it always says "SD card is saft to remove" i am using the Global customized firmware, but dont think that would be the case in any means, can you provide a link to the one you used kistigun please ?
Im on a fresh install so might as well try the version you used lol.

i've updated the first post with a link to the firmware i've used

aeron16

Jan 16, 2006
why would you want to unroot?

i have no choice! using GOOD for enterprise on my Arc, and it only allows usage if its on an unrooted device.

thinking of doing the root on 2.3.2 first, OTA update as you mentioned, then while still rooted, remove some of those unused SE Apps to free up ram, before unrooting and installing GOOD for enterprise.

:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all thanks to kokbiel for discovering this!

Do not try this if you have an unlocked bootloader or if you dont know what your doing! I'm not resposible if you break or brick your phone!

If you're allready on a rooted .181 or .184 and OTA update is available for you just update your firmware. If there is no OTA update available for your customazation version follow these instuctions:
    - flash back to 3.0.A.2.181 generic with the flashtool
    - Use Gingerbreak or Superoneclick to root your device
    - Update your Arc using a OTA(over the air) update(Go to settings->About phone->Software update)
    - Enjoy your rooted 2.3.3!!!

Update 1: it seems that the OTA update is not working if you did any modifications to/deleted system files so it's adviced to always flash the .181 firmware provided in this post
    Update 2: if you have any battery problems after flashing the .181 firmware(if it's only showing 1%) removing the battery for a few minutes should solve this
    Update 3: thanks to ricstc we now have a video tutorial on how to follow these instructions
    Update 4: if you want you can keep your user data by unchecking the whipe user data in the flashtool while selecting the correct ftf file. this will cause a lot of error message's on 2.3.2 but just click them away and continue the procedure, after upgrading again to 2.3.3 the error message's will be gone!
    Update 5: this methode still works with the new 4.0.A.2.368 firmware! if you don't get the OTA update with the provided .181 firmware try flashing the .184 firmware and try the OTA again

At the moment there are a lot of battery problems when you downgrade from 2.3.4 if you have any problem follow this or this thread for a possible solution
    Glad that I could finally contribute with something here on XDA.

Sent from my LT15i using XDA App
    In general how long did it take for Gingerbreak / superoneclick to do its stuff.
    iv been waiting about 5-10 minutes with nothing. :S

can take up to 20 minutes, can't say for sure.
    But it always says "SD card is saft to remove" i am using the Global customized firmware, but dont think that would be the case in any means, can you provide a link to the one you used kistigun please ?
    Im on a fresh install so might as well try the version you used lol.

i've updated the first post with a link to the firmware i've used
    How to d/grade to 2.3.2, root with Gingerbreak, then update OTA to 2.3.3 rooted

Thank you everyone for talking so much about this, especially Kistigun for starting this discussion here at this forum.

Here's a short 4 minute video I made on how I did it from where I had compiled from all kinds and many days, nights of reading your comments and suggestions on how to downgrade to 2.3.2, root with Gingerbreak, then update OTA to 2.3.3 and still retaining root rights.

Enjoy the video and thank you everyone once again that had discussed and shared about this initiative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQefgUa_MWc