[TUT] BOOT ANIMATION explained

Search This thread

momo.martinovic

Sep 3, 2010
Usually NOT here...
Dear friends at XDA,

I am a graphic designer. Have Desire + Pico... I made a little tutorial/explanation about boot animations and I moved my NEW animation on 2nd post.

Well... There is a file called bootanimation.zip stored in the root file system, something like this:

/system/media/ or /data/local or /system/customize/resource/ (for HTC Sense) or somewhere else (use Root Explorer to search for it!)

This file contains two things:

1. A description file (desc.txt) that outlines how the animation progresses, what images to use, image size etc…
2. Folder(s) that contain the images for the animation

The basic structure of the bootanimation.zip file is as follows:

bootanimation.zip
- desc.txt
- part0
- part1

part0 and part1 are directories that contain a series of images for example:

part0
- boot_001.png
- boot_002.png
- boot_003.png
- boot_004.png
- boot_005.png

and:

part1
- boot_006.png
- boot_007.png
- boot_008.png
- boot_009.png
- boot_010.png
- boot_011.png
- boot_012.png
- boot_013.png
- boot_014.png
- boot_015.png
- boot_016.png
- boot_017.png
- boot_018.png
- boot_019.png
- boot_020.png

These images form the “part0” and “part1” animations that are combined as outlined in the “desc.txt” file to form the overall startup animation. The images are ordered by number and run in sequence.

The “desc.txt” file outlines how the animation progresses and a sample is as follows:

480 800 20
p 1 0 part0
p 0 0 part1

where:

480” is the width of the animation
800” is the height of the animation
20” is the desired fps of the animation

p” defines a first animation part
1” how many times this animation part loops (in this case - once)
0” defines a pause after this part is played (max 10, “0” is for no pause at all)
part0” is the folder name where the animation images are for the first animation part

p” defines a second animation part
0” defines that it loops forever (until android starts)
0” defines a pause
part1” is the folder for the second animation part.

IMAGES TYPE

As far as images type… well… for the best experience (IMHO) you should use PNG files, RGB color profile, 24 bit (TRUE color), 96 dpi (not really important, could be 150, 200 or even 300… PIXELS defines size actually) and with NO transparency or interlacing.

About interlacing... IMPORTANT thing:

PNG files must be WITHOUT interlace. Interlaced PNG save several resolution built into the file, and it is mainly used for web viewing on slower connection - loading lower resolution first, than a higher one, than the highest one. This mean that ENTIRE picture is shown very quickly in lower resolution and the quality improve as the data is read. It is very similar to making JPG images progressive. Same reason. Interlacing make believe loading process faster, but it is JUST an impression. But, the file is MUCH bigger and that process is NOT needed for our android. So DO NOT use interlacing!

PACKING THE FILE

When you prepared all, use 7zip to compress and zip the files:

1. Archive format: ZIP
2. Compression level: STORE

Rename zipped file to bootanimation.zip (or else - phone specific...) and that’s about it!

WELL...

I must add one IMPORTANT thing... HOW TO PUT IT IN YOUR PHONE! :D

First of all... Your phone MUST be rooted (should I even tell that?) and you must have some file browser with full root capabilities... ROOT EXPLORER will do the magic ;)

Find bootanimation.zip in /system/media/ or /data/local or /system/customize/resource/ (for HTC Sense) or somewhere else... and ERASE IT (or MOVE somewhere else to save as a backup - rename it to original.zip etc...)
Than... Find your file and copy/paste it in bootanimation folder. One thing left to do... Use ROOT EXPLORER to change PERMISSIONS of the file as follows:

------------ read / write / execute
Owner: ----- x ----- x ----- 0
Group: ------ x ----- 0 ----- 0
Others: ----- x ----- 0 ----- 0

Exit Root explorer, reboot and enjoy... :)

FINAL WORD

YES, I KNOW that overall packed file can be big, sure bigger than with JPG-s, but loading of PNG files is smoother and faster, with BETTER QUALITY than with JPG files... In my case I used JPG files cause I am on MIUI (lack of system storage space - CM7 hboot) :rolleyes:

THANK YOU...

Last edited:

momo.martinovic

Sep 3, 2010
Usually NOT here...
[BOOTANIMATION] Black metal holes background

Dear Friends,

Here is my NEW Black metal holes background boot animation with appropriate splash screen. I added FADE IN effect infront...

Hope you will like them. Tell me what you think...

Now added different colors: cyan, green, magenta and red.

About matching downanimation.. .well.. I am on MIUI... there is NO down animation there, so I will try eventually some Sense ROM and do it than... Maybe it would take some time, cause I am tired of changing ROM's :D for now and I, hmm... REALLY love MIUI! ;)

Anyway, SUGGESTIONS and thanks are EXTREMELY appreciated :)

Attachments

• splash1.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,129
  • bootanimation.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,989
Last edited:

Ryther

Apr 2, 2012
Martinengo (BG)
Google Pixel 5
Nice, i'm using it as my standard splash+bootanimation :D

Can i give some hints? A fade in effect at the start of the bootanimation can help with the black screen between splash and bootanimation!

Also more colors are welcome :D i see orange for MIUI, cyan for CM, green for aosp GB and blue for ICS (i love this blue :D )!

Thank you very much for this cool bootanimation :D

agismaniax

Dec 20, 2009
Jakarta
EDIT: don't touch /system/media/bootanimation.zip.
just put bootanimation.zip and downanimation.zip into /data/local...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear friends at XDA,

I am a graphic designer. Have Desire + Pico... I made a little tutorial/explanation about boot animations and I moved my NEW animation on 2nd post.

Well... There is a file called bootanimation.zip stored in the root file system, something like this:

/system/media/ or /data/local or /system/customize/resource/ (for HTC Sense) or somewhere else (use Root Explorer to search for it!)

This file contains two things:

1. A description file (desc.txt) that outlines how the animation progresses, what images to use, image size etc…
    2. Folder(s) that contain the images for the animation

The basic structure of the bootanimation.zip file is as follows:

bootanimation.zip
    - desc.txt
    - part0
    - part1

part0 and part1 are directories that contain a series of images for example:

part0
    - boot_001.png
    - boot_002.png
    - boot_003.png
    - boot_004.png
    - boot_005.png

and:

part1
    - boot_006.png
    - boot_007.png
    - boot_008.png
    - boot_009.png
    - boot_010.png
    - boot_011.png
    - boot_012.png
    - boot_013.png
    - boot_014.png
    - boot_015.png
    - boot_016.png
    - boot_017.png
    - boot_018.png
    - boot_019.png
    - boot_020.png

These images form the “part0” and “part1” animations that are combined as outlined in the “desc.txt” file to form the overall startup animation. The images are ordered by number and run in sequence.

The “desc.txt” file outlines how the animation progresses and a sample is as follows:

480 800 20
    p 1 0 part0
    p 0 0 part1

where:

480” is the width of the animation
    800” is the height of the animation
    20” is the desired fps of the animation

p” defines a first animation part
    1” how many times this animation part loops (in this case - once)
    0” defines a pause after this part is played (max 10, “0” is for no pause at all)
    part0” is the folder name where the animation images are for the first animation part

p” defines a second animation part
    0” defines that it loops forever (until android starts)
    0” defines a pause
    part1” is the folder for the second animation part.

IMAGES TYPE

As far as images type… well… for the best experience (IMHO) you should use PNG files, RGB color profile, 24 bit (TRUE color), 96 dpi (not really important, could be 150, 200 or even 300… PIXELS defines size actually) and with NO transparency or interlacing.

About interlacing... IMPORTANT thing:

PNG files must be WITHOUT interlace. Interlaced PNG save several resolution built into the file, and it is mainly used for web viewing on slower connection - loading lower resolution first, than a higher one, than the highest one. This mean that ENTIRE picture is shown very quickly in lower resolution and the quality improve as the data is read. It is very similar to making JPG images progressive. Same reason. Interlacing make believe loading process faster, but it is JUST an impression. But, the file is MUCH bigger and that process is NOT needed for our android. So DO NOT use interlacing!

PACKING THE FILE

When you prepared all, use 7zip to compress and zip the files:

1. Archive format: ZIP
    2. Compression level: STORE

Rename zipped file to bootanimation.zip (or else - phone specific...) and that’s about it!

WELL...

I must add one IMPORTANT thing... HOW TO PUT IT IN YOUR PHONE! :D

First of all... Your phone MUST be rooted (should I even tell that?) and you must have some file browser with full root capabilities... ROOT EXPLORER will do the magic ;)

Find bootanimation.zip in /system/media/ or /data/local or /system/customize/resource/ (for HTC Sense) or somewhere else... and ERASE IT (or MOVE somewhere else to save as a backup - rename it to original.zip etc...)
    Than... Find your file and copy/paste it in bootanimation folder. One thing left to do... Use ROOT EXPLORER to change PERMISSIONS of the file as follows:

------------ read / write / execute
    Owner: ----- x ----- x ----- 0
    Group: ------ x ----- 0 ----- 0
    Others: ----- x ----- 0 ----- 0

Exit Root explorer, reboot and enjoy... :)

FINAL WORD

YES, I KNOW that overall packed file can be big, sure bigger than with JPG-s, but loading of PNG files is smoother and faster, with BETTER QUALITY than with JPG files... In my case I used JPG files cause I am on MIUI (lack of system storage space - CM7 hboot) :rolleyes:

THANK YOU...
    [BOOTANIMATION] Black metal holes background

Dear Friends,

Here is my NEW Black metal holes background boot animation with appropriate splash screen. I added FADE IN effect infront...

Hope you will like them. Tell me what you think...

Now added different colors: cyan, green, magenta and red.

About matching downanimation.. .well.. I am on MIUI... there is NO down animation there, so I will try eventually some Sense ROM and do it than... Maybe it would take some time, cause I am tired of changing ROM's :D for now and I, hmm... REALLY love MIUI! ;)

Anyway, SUGGESTIONS and thanks are EXTREMELY appreciated :)
    Well... This is still alive... :)

Guys, I have SG3 now, but STILL keep my FAITHFUL Desire... If you need something, just let me know...
    Best, Momo
    Very nice...going to add it in runny rom

Sent using Runny ROM!
    I've tried to edit the boot animation on my phone, but after editing and repacking the files into zip, the phone can't play the animation and just gave me blank screen.

I googled up and found this thread. Now I know I must set the compression level to store and put the correct permission.

My boot animation works great. Thanks man :good: