[TUT] Dummies guide: flashing 1.56+ roms [v 2.0] - [HSPL][USPL]

Search This thread

Digital Outcast

Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2006
Woodstock, GA
First of all you will need .NET installed if you do not have it already. I would recommend .NET 3.5. You can download it from Microsoft here.

The most important part about flashing a rom is knowing what SPL version your phone has and what rom you want to use before you begin flashing. If you are at a point where you have already begun flashing and are now getting a green, distorted screen, having huge issues with the phone not responding and airplane mode being stuck on, that is because you have done the process wrong. Don't fret, you can simply start over with this guide. You can still place your phone into the bootloader so you are ok.

The first thing to do is check what your SPL version currently is. To do this you need to enter bootloader by:

• Turn it off.
  • Hold the volume down button while you press the power on button.
  • You should see a tri-color screen with some text (This is bootloader).
  • Plug in your phone to your computer via USB. At the very bottom of the screen it should show USB.
Once you know what your SPL version currently is you need to decide whether you want to use USPL or HSPL to flash roms.

The difference between USPL and HSPL:

• HSPL is an user-modified SPL that you have to flash to your phone. It overwrites the existing SPL on your device with a "hacked" one so to say. It allows you to bypass the HTC certificate check and flash unsigned or CID-mismatching roms to your phone. You only have to flash it once and then you can flash roms anytime.
  • USPL is a temporary solution. It takes advantage of an exploit in the existing SPL and then loads a modified one to memory, effectively allowing the same thing as HSPL. However, since this is only memory-resident you have to do it each time you want to flash unsigned or CID-mismatching roms to your phone, because this exploited state is lost upon reboot. With USPL you must still have the right version of the HTC SPL that is compatible with the rom you want to use.
Now that you have decided which route you want to go as far as SPL's go, temporarily disable or uninstall your virus scanning software as 90% of them will conflict with flashing.

If you wish to use HSPL and it shows your current SPL as:

• Anything but 1.56.OliNex - go to step (HSPL1) on post 2
  • 1.56.OliNex - go to step (HSPL4) on post 2
If you wish to use USPL and it shows your current SPL as:

• Anything but 1.54.0000 - go to step (USPL1) on post 3
  • 1.54.0000 - go to step (USPL5) on post 3
If you are getting errors during the RUU process, read this guide for descriptions of the error codes and associated solutions/suggestions!

If you need to update your USB drivers, read this guide
for step-by-step instructions!

MOD EDIT (01/10/09)

Video guide to help newbies out with loading ROMs

Attachments

• HSPLWrapper_Blackstone_156OliNex.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 77,718
  • RUU_Signed_Blackstone_stockSPL154.zip
    132.8 KB · Views: 38,341
  • BlackstoneRUUWrapper.zip
    480 KB · Views: 46,785
  • SSPL-Manual-TouchHD.zip
    489 KB · Views: 41,576
Last edited by a moderator:

Digital Outcast

Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2006
Woodstock, GA
HSPL Method

Use this method only if you selected the HSPL route from the first post!

HSPL1 - Downloads

• (HSPL1a) HSPLWrapper_Blackstone_156OliNex.zip
  • (HSPL1b) A 1.56+ based rom - Your end result rom, i.e. rom you want on device which is based on 1.56+
  • (HSPL1c) BlackstoneRUUWrapper.zip
  • (HSPL1d) SSPL-Manual-TouchHD.zip
  • (HSPL1e) Extract each item to its own folder
HSPL2 - Flash new SPL (1.56.OliNex)

• (HSPL2a) Place your phone into its bootloader.
  • (HSPL2b) Run HSPLWrapper_Blackstone_156OliNex.exe from the download in step (HSPL1a) and follow it as normal.
  • (HSPL2c) If successful, go to step HSPL3. If the flashing process sits at 0% and you get Error [260] connection after some time, go to step (Troubleshooting).
HSPL3 - Check SPL version

• (HSPL3a) Place your phone into its bootloader.
  • (HSPL3b) When the bootloader appears it should show SPL v 1.56.OliNex. If it does go to step (HSPL4). If it does not something happened so repeat step (HSPL2).
HSPL4 - Flash new 1.56+ rom

• (HSPL4a) Place your phone into its bootloader.
  • (HSPL4b) If the rom you downloaded from step (HSPL1b) does not include BlackstoneRUUWrapper.exe then use the download from step (HSPL1c). Make sure the .nbh file from step (HSPL1b) and BlackstoneRUUWrapper.exe are in the same folder.
  • (HSPL4c) Run BlackstoneRUUWrapper.exe and follow it as normal.
  • (HSPL4d) Hard reset afterwards. Once or twice- up to you. Twice has been recommended. Turn off your phone. I personally do it right after flashing completes and I see the "Smart Mobility" screen. I just yank the battery out instead of waiting for it to boot up all the way and go through customization process just to hard reset ;) Hold the volume down button and volume up button while you press the power on button. You should see a message saying "This operation will delete all your personal data, and reset all settings to the manufacturer default settings. Press VolUp to restore manufacturer defaults, or press other keys to cancel." Do exactly what it says...
  • You are done!
Troubleshooting - manual SSPL

• Boot up your phone.
  • Copy SSPL-Manual-TouchHD.exe to your phone. In a file browser on your phone browse to where you copied SSPL-Manual-TouchHD.exe and run it.
  • Your phone will reboot into its bootloader and should show SPL v 1.07.OliNex.
  • When it shows USB at the bottom then run HSPLWrapper_blackstone_156OilNex.exe from your computer again.
  • Go to step HSPL3 if successful.

Digital Outcast

Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2006
Woodstock, GA
USPL Method

Use this method only if you selected the USPL route from the first post!

USPL1 - Downloads

• (USPL1a) RUU_Signed_Blackstone_stockSPL154.zip
  • (USPL1b) HSPLWrapper_Blackstone_156OliNex.zip
  • (USPL1c) USPL GUI v 2.5.zip
  • (USPL1d) A 1.56+ based rom - Your end result rom, i.e. rom you want on device which is based on 1.56+
  • (USPL1e) BlackstoneRUUWrapper.zip
  • (USPL1f) Extract each item to its own folder
USPL2 - Updating HTC USB Sync driver

• (USPL2a) Follow my guide here on updating the HTC USB Sync driver.
USPL3 - Flash new SPL (1.54.0000)

• (USPL3a) Place your phone into its bootloader.
  • (USPL3b) Run USPL.exe from the download in step (USPL1c). Remember to disable your antivirus for this. Some provide a false positive that it is a virus/trojan. When the application appears click on Run USPL.
  • (USPL3c) Your phone should reboot and return to its bootloader but saying SPL v 1.15.USPL and USB at the bottom. If it does not show USB after some time, disconnect and reconnect the USB cable from your phone.
  • (USPL3d) Run HSPLWrapper_Blackstone_156OliNex.exe from the download in step (USPL1b). Do not click any buttons on the screen when the application appears.
  • (USPL3e) Copy RUU_Signed.nbh that you extracted from the download in step (USPL1a) and overwrite the one in the directory where you ran HSPLWrapper_Blackstone_156OliNex.exe from. If you get an error message saying that the file is already in use that is because you clicked one or more buttons in the HardSPL application window once it appeared. If that happens to you, exit from it, start it again, and DO NOT CLICK ANYTHING YET.
  • (USPL3f) Now you can continue in the HardSPL application and follow it as normal. Basically what you are doing is flashing the stock 1.54.0000 SPL to your phone by overwriting the HardSPL's .NBH file with the stock one.
USPL 4 - Check SPL version

• (USPL4a) Place your phone into its bootloader.
  • (USPL4b) When the bootloader appears it should show SPL v 1.54.0000. If it does go to step (USPL5). If it does not something happened so repeat step (USPL3).
USPL 5 - Flash new 1.56+ rom

• (USPL5a) Place your phone into its bootloader.
  • (USPL5b) Run USPL.exe from the download in step (USPL1c). Remember to disable your antivirus for this. Some provide a false positive that it is a virus/trojan. When the application appears click on Run USPL.
  • (USPL5c) Your phone should reboot and return to its bootloader but saying SPL v 1.15.USPL and USB at the bottom. If it does not show USB after some time, disconnect and reconnect the USB cable from your phone.
  • (USPL5d) If the rom you downloaded from step (USPL1d) does not include BlackstoneRUUWrapper.exe then use the download from step (USPL1e). Make sure the .nbh file from step (USPL1d) and BlackstoneRUUWrapper.exe are in the same folder.
  • (USPL5e) Run BlackstoneRUUWrapper.exe and follow it as normal.
  • (USPL5f) Hard reset afterwards. Once or twice- up to you. Twice has been recommended. Turn off your phone. I personally do it right after flashing completes and I see the "Smart Mobility" screen. I just yank the battery out instead of waiting for it to boot up all the way and go through customization process just to hard reset ;) Hold the volume down button and volume up button while you press the power on button. You should see a message saying "This operation will delete all your personal data, and reset all settings to the manufacturer default settings. Press VolUp to restore manufacturer defaults, or press other keys to cancel." Do exactly what it says...
  • You are done!

pierce97

May 18, 2008
Pearland (Houston)
I am so frustrated!!!!!!!!! I have followed these instructions to a T, and I still get an error when trying to flash to 2.8. I keep getting the error: [240] File Open.

Can someone please help me???

Thanks!

damian.r.smith

Apr 3, 2009
Awesome stuff. I wish this was around the other night when I spent hours and hours reading and reading before finally sorting it out.

I failed at your step 7 however as I think it was 2am and I was passing out in front of the PC whilst rebooting and hard resetting over and over. Beer tonight then!

Cheers

Multani004

Mar 11, 2009
Thanks for this great work.

Unfortunately Im stuck at step 5d
USB connection in Activesync mode is off.
My phone is in bootloader, "Serial" change to "USB" aswell
However when I launch blac_uspl.exe in command prompt (in windows XP) I have the following error : D:\Mes documents\Downloads\uspl_2.5>blac_uspl
HTC Blackstone USPL version 2.5, Apr 5 2009

Opening USB port \\?\usb#vid_0bb4&pid_00ce#5&381252ce&0&1#{25dbce51-6c8f-4a72-8a
6d-b54c2b4fc835}...
ERROR: USB port could not be opened!
Verify that device is connected and SPL boot mode is active,
disallow USB connections in ActiveSync settings and try again.

If I need to install "vista usb drivers", please kindlly state how to.. in XP as the folder c:\winnt\inf contains .inf & .cat files.

Thnx a lot.

Last edited:

Digital Outcast

Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2006
Woodstock, GA
Thanks for this great work.

Unfortunately Im stuck at step 5d
USB connection in Activesync mode is off.
My phone is in bootloader, "Serial" change to "USB" aswell
However when I launch blac_uspl.exe in command prompt (in windows XP) I have the following error : D:\Mes documents\Downloads\uspl_2.5>blac_uspl
HTC Blackstone USPL version 2.5, Apr 5 2009

Opening USB port \\?\usb#vid_0bb4&pid_00ce#5&381252ce&0&1#{25dbce51-6c8f-4a72-8a
6d-b54c2b4fc835}...
ERROR: USB port could not be opened!
Verify that device is connected and SPL boot mode is active,
disallow USB connections in ActiveSync settings and try again.

If I need to install "vista usb drivers", please kindlly state how to.. in XP as the folder contains .inf & .cat files.

Thnx a lot.

Yes, download the USB drivers from above and extract them to a folder. Mind where you extract them. Follow these steps:

(1) Start -> Run -> devmgmt.msc
(2) Look for HTC USB Sync
(3) Double-click it and click the Driver tab
(4) Click Update Driver
(5) On new screen tell it not to use Windows Update
(6) Install from a specified location
(7) Check only box that says "Include this location in the search"
(8) Click Browse and locate the extracted drivers you downloaded
(9) After selecting click next and select the new driver
(10) After it is updated reboot and try USPL again

Let me know how it works.

Digital Outcast

Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2006
Woodstock, GA
I am so frustrated!!!!!!!!! I have followed these instructions to a T, and I still get an error when trying to flash to 2.8. I keep getting the error: [240] File Open.

Can someone please help me???

Thanks!

What is giving you this message? The RUU? What step are you at in my guide? Do you get USPL run successfully? Does your bootloader on your phone show 1.15.USPL and USB when it's connected to your computer?

Multani004

Mar 11, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply.
Up to step 5, everything is ok.
but It wont let me update saying its impossible to update the drivers.
1 more thing i want to mention is that i found those inf & cat files already present in c:\winnt\inf folder. ofcourse the size is not the same.
I will try to update the drivers again though Im starting to assume that my windows dont see a different between already present files and new extracted files.

Digital Outcast

Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2006
Woodstock, GA
Thanks for the quick reply.
Up to step 5, everything is ok.
but It wont let me update saying its impossible to update the drivers.
1 more thing i want to mention is that i found those inf & cat files already present in c:\winnt\inf folder. ofcourse the size is not the same.
I will try to update the drivers again though Im starting to assume that my windows dont see a different between already present files and new extracted files.

You can force Windows to accept the new driver files. You just have to tell it that you "Have Disk" and locate those files. Once you do it will show a dialog where you can select the device and it should overwrite your current driver with the one from the download.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HSPL Method

Use this method only if you selected the HSPL route from the first post!

HSPL1 - Downloads

• (HSPL1a) HSPLWrapper_Blackstone_156OliNex.zip
    • (HSPL1b) A 1.56+ based rom - Your end result rom, i.e. rom you want on device which is based on 1.56+
    • (HSPL1c) BlackstoneRUUWrapper.zip
    • (HSPL1d) SSPL-Manual-TouchHD.zip
    • (HSPL1e) Extract each item to its own folder
    HSPL2 - Flash new SPL (1.56.OliNex)

• (HSPL2a) Place your phone into its bootloader.
    • (HSPL2b) Run HSPLWrapper_Blackstone_156OliNex.exe from the download in step (HSPL1a) and follow it as normal.
    • (HSPL2c) If successful, go to step HSPL3. If the flashing process sits at 0% and you get Error [260] connection after some time, go to step (Troubleshooting).
    HSPL3 - Check SPL version

• (HSPL3a) Place your phone into its bootloader.
    • (HSPL3b) When the bootloader appears it should show SPL v 1.56.OliNex. If it does go to step (HSPL4). If it does not something happened so repeat step (HSPL2).
    HSPL4 - Flash new 1.56+ rom

• (HSPL4a) Place your phone into its bootloader.
    • (HSPL4b) If the rom you downloaded from step (HSPL1b) does not include BlackstoneRUUWrapper.exe then use the download from step (HSPL1c). Make sure the .nbh file from step (HSPL1b) and BlackstoneRUUWrapper.exe are in the same folder.
    • (HSPL4c) Run BlackstoneRUUWrapper.exe and follow it as normal.
    • (HSPL4d) Hard reset afterwards. Once or twice- up to you. Twice has been recommended. Turn off your phone. I personally do it right after flashing completes and I see the "Smart Mobility" screen. I just yank the battery out instead of waiting for it to boot up all the way and go through customization process just to hard reset ;) Hold the volume down button and volume up button while you press the power on button. You should see a message saying "This operation will delete all your personal data, and reset all settings to the manufacturer default settings. Press VolUp to restore manufacturer defaults, or press other keys to cancel." Do exactly what it says...
    • You are done!
    Troubleshooting - manual SSPL

• Boot up your phone.
    • Copy SSPL-Manual-TouchHD.exe to your phone. In a file browser on your phone browse to where you copied SSPL-Manual-TouchHD.exe and run it.
    • Your phone will reboot into its bootloader and should show SPL v 1.07.OliNex.
    • When it shows USB at the bottom then run HSPLWrapper_blackstone_156OilNex.exe from your computer again.
    • Go to step HSPL3 if successful.
    USPL Method

Use this method only if you selected the USPL route from the first post!

USPL1 - Downloads

• (USPL1a) RUU_Signed_Blackstone_stockSPL154.zip
    • (USPL1b) HSPLWrapper_Blackstone_156OliNex.zip
    • (USPL1c) USPL GUI v 2.5.zip
    • (USPL1d) A 1.56+ based rom - Your end result rom, i.e. rom you want on device which is based on 1.56+
    • (USPL1e) BlackstoneRUUWrapper.zip
    • (USPL1f) Extract each item to its own folder
    USPL2 - Updating HTC USB Sync driver

• (USPL2a) Follow my guide here on updating the HTC USB Sync driver.
    USPL3 - Flash new SPL (1.54.0000)

• (USPL3a) Place your phone into its bootloader.
    • (USPL3b) Run USPL.exe from the download in step (USPL1c). Remember to disable your antivirus for this. Some provide a false positive that it is a virus/trojan. When the application appears click on Run USPL.
    • (USPL3c) Your phone should reboot and return to its bootloader but saying SPL v 1.15.USPL and USB at the bottom. If it does not show USB after some time, disconnect and reconnect the USB cable from your phone.
    • (USPL3d) Run HSPLWrapper_Blackstone_156OliNex.exe from the download in step (USPL1b). Do not click any buttons on the screen when the application appears.
    • (USPL3e) Copy RUU_Signed.nbh that you extracted from the download in step (USPL1a) and overwrite the one in the directory where you ran HSPLWrapper_Blackstone_156OliNex.exe from. If you get an error message saying that the file is already in use that is because you clicked one or more buttons in the HardSPL application window once it appeared. If that happens to you, exit from it, start it again, and DO NOT CLICK ANYTHING YET.
    • (USPL3f) Now you can continue in the HardSPL application and follow it as normal. Basically what you are doing is flashing the stock 1.54.0000 SPL to your phone by overwriting the HardSPL's .NBH file with the stock one.
    USPL 4 - Check SPL version

• (USPL4a) Place your phone into its bootloader.
    • (USPL4b) When the bootloader appears it should show SPL v 1.54.0000. If it does go to step (USPL5). If it does not something happened so repeat step (USPL3).
    USPL 5 - Flash new 1.56+ rom

• (USPL5a) Place your phone into its bootloader.
    • (USPL5b) Run USPL.exe from the download in step (USPL1c). Remember to disable your antivirus for this. Some provide a false positive that it is a virus/trojan. When the application appears click on Run USPL.
    • (USPL5c) Your phone should reboot and return to its bootloader but saying SPL v 1.15.USPL and USB at the bottom. If it does not show USB after some time, disconnect and reconnect the USB cable from your phone.
    • (USPL5d) If the rom you downloaded from step (USPL1d) does not include BlackstoneRUUWrapper.exe then use the download from step (USPL1e). Make sure the .nbh file from step (USPL1d) and BlackstoneRUUWrapper.exe are in the same folder.
    • (USPL5e) Run BlackstoneRUUWrapper.exe and follow it as normal.
    • (USPL5f) Hard reset afterwards. Once or twice- up to you. Twice has been recommended. Turn off your phone. I personally do it right after flashing completes and I see the "Smart Mobility" screen. I just yank the battery out instead of waiting for it to boot up all the way and go through customization process just to hard reset ;) Hold the volume down button and volume up button while you press the power on button. You should see a message saying "This operation will delete all your personal data, and reset all settings to the manufacturer default settings. Press VolUp to restore manufacturer defaults, or press other keys to cancel." Do exactly what it says...
    • You are done!
    First of all you will need .NET installed if you do not have it already. I would recommend .NET 3.5. You can download it from Microsoft here.

The most important part about flashing a rom is knowing what SPL version your phone has and what rom you want to use before you begin flashing. If you are at a point where you have already begun flashing and are now getting a green, distorted screen, having huge issues with the phone not responding and airplane mode being stuck on, that is because you have done the process wrong. Don't fret, you can simply start over with this guide. You can still place your phone into the bootloader so you are ok.

The first thing to do is check what your SPL version currently is. To do this you need to enter bootloader by:

• Turn it off.
    • Hold the volume down button while you press the power on button.
    • You should see a tri-color screen with some text (This is bootloader).
    • Plug in your phone to your computer via USB. At the very bottom of the screen it should show USB.
    Once you know what your SPL version currently is you need to decide whether you want to use USPL or HSPL to flash roms.

The difference between USPL and HSPL:

• HSPL is an user-modified SPL that you have to flash to your phone. It overwrites the existing SPL on your device with a "hacked" one so to say. It allows you to bypass the HTC certificate check and flash unsigned or CID-mismatching roms to your phone. You only have to flash it once and then you can flash roms anytime.
    • USPL is a temporary solution. It takes advantage of an exploit in the existing SPL and then loads a modified one to memory, effectively allowing the same thing as HSPL. However, since this is only memory-resident you have to do it each time you want to flash unsigned or CID-mismatching roms to your phone, because this exploited state is lost upon reboot. With USPL you must still have the right version of the HTC SPL that is compatible with the rom you want to use.
    Now that you have decided which route you want to go as far as SPL's go, temporarily disable or uninstall your virus scanning software as 90% of them will conflict with flashing.

If you wish to use HSPL and it shows your current SPL as:

• Anything but 1.56.OliNex - go to step (HSPL1) on post 2
    • 1.56.OliNex - go to step (HSPL4) on post 2
    If you wish to use USPL and it shows your current SPL as:

• Anything but 1.54.0000 - go to step (USPL1) on post 3
    • 1.54.0000 - go to step (USPL5) on post 3
    If you are getting errors during the RUU process, read this guide for descriptions of the error codes and associated solutions/suggestions!

If you need to update your USB drivers, read this guide
    for step-by-step instructions!

MOD EDIT (01/10/09)

Video guide to help newbies out with loading ROMs
    Can´t flash with windows 7.
    The problem is that i can't run uspl 2.5. it opens and closes and in hd don't appear the change of spl. the original goes on.
    what can i do?

Did you update usb drivers?
    Hello i've changed my HTC Tattoo with HTC TOUCH HD.
    And i have some questions.

I want to install custom rom to my htc , so first thing i have to do is to flash my device with HSPL or USPL 1.56+ and then i can install MaxSense rom for example. , am i correct ?

Yes mate, you'll need either USPL or HSPL on your device first before you can install any custom rom. Just follow this guide and you'll be grand ;)