[TUT] How to root your Fire HD 2014 (any FireOS version):

Search This thread

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
I see a lot of new people showing up on the forum, therefore would like to provide heads up for the 2017 Xmas season. First of all, do not rush this!!! Take a few days/weeks to get comfortable with the Android, if you are a total newbie.

Yes, root is still easily accessible to ANY FireOS version, if you have Fire HD 6/7 2014!

Your options to root are as follows:
1) if you still have FireOS 4.x - use Kingroot directly to get root, install TWRP
2) if you have FireOS 5.x - try Kingroot first, if works - install TWRP (link). If Kingroot does not work, go to the next line
3) if you have any unrootable FireOS 5.x - sideload FireOS 4.5.3 (link), use Kingroot to get root, install TWRP (link).
4) if you have FireOS 5 and want to keep your user data intact (i.e., no factory reset which will have to happen if you go to 4.5.3 and then back to FireOS 5) - try this restore approach (link), it will write TWRP directly into memory. The only issue is that it may not work with the more recent FireOS versions.

Now, once you have TWRP working, proceed to install the latest rooted FireOS 5, as per this link.

Last edited:

smasher007

Jun 24, 2012
My fire hd 6 is on 4.5.4, what's the best way to get root and Gapps? Can I sideload 4.5.3 directly on it, or do I need to get the 5.2.2 development version first?

Reactions: bibikalka

smasher007

Jun 24, 2012
I always used the 2015 version - just for historical reasons. But the 2016 one looks perfectly fine as well!

I have successfully rooted with Kingroot. Could you please share the download link for TWRP 2016 version that works with 4.5.4? I cannot find it on the TWRP website.

Sorry for being a noob, the whole guide with so many strikes seems soo confusing!

Last edited:

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
I have successfully rooted with Kingroot. Could you please share the download link for TWRP 2016 version that works with 4.5.4? I cannot find it on the TWRP website.

Sorry for being a noob, the whole guide with so many strikes seems soo confusing!

The 2016 TWRP is here :
https://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-hd/development/recovery-twrp-3-0-2-0-t3488768

Instead, I recommend that you put 4.5.3 bootloaders & 2015 TWRP (this will boot 4.5.4 no issues), use this post:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=62011272&postcount=2

Reactions: smasher007

smasher007

Jun 24, 2012
The 2016 TWRP is here :
https://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-hd/development/recovery-twrp-3-0-2-0-t3488768

Instead, I recommend that you put 4.5.3 bootloaders & 2015 TWRP (this will boot 4.5.4 no issues), use this post:

Thank you, I just flashed the files from 453_key_images using ADB and I noticed that all checksums match, however the checksum for mmcblk0p5 doesn't:

3a1f3cd1ef405eaeec719eaeb41ab791 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
82dbebf3f472a5070da5916f1fae19bf /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
305a5546ff8960b51cd573b59a05cde6 /dev/block/mmcblk0p7

Since I dont have backups, I guess I am screwed. :eek: Would this boot in TWRP?

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
Thank you, I just flashed the files from 453_key_images using ADB and I noticed that all checksums match, however the checksum for mmcblk0p5 doesn't:

3a1f3cd1ef405eaeec719eaeb41ab791 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
82dbebf3f472a5070da5916f1fae19bf /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
305a5546ff8960b51cd573b59a05cde6 /dev/block/mmcblk0p7

Since I dont have backups, I guess I am screwed. :eek: Would this boot in TWRP?

Did you do this :
dd if=453_uboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
?

Most likely, there was some junk (the prior UBOOT was larger), so that it has non-zeros where zeros are assumed.
You can try to run this again, where you first zero out the entire UBOOT partition:
Code:
First:
(this one makes sure that you have UBOOT image handy, don't want to search for it when you have zeros instead of UBOOT, LOL!)
Then:
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p5

In any unlikely event where you do mess up, this should be recoverable via aftv-tools, if the device never had FireOS 5.

smasher007

Jun 24, 2012
Did you do this :
?

Most likely, there was some junk (the prior UBOOT was larger), so that it has non-zeros where zeros are assumed.
You can try to run this again, where you first zero out the entire UBOOT partition:
Code:
First:
(this one makes sure that you have UBOOT image handy, don't want to search for it when you have zeros instead of UBOOT, LOL!)
Then:
Code:
md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p5

In any unlikely event where you do mess up, this should be recoverable via aftv-tools, if the device never had FireOS 5.

Thanks, zeroing out the block made it work! I used the below command before writing that block again.

So now that I have TWRP finally, do I just go with the below steps?
1) Boot to TWRP
2) Wipe Data except internal
3) Flash this file via TWRP: 5.4.1_1133_stock_recovery_uboot.zip
4) Flash this file via TWRP: update-kindle-20.5.7.9_user_579279320.bin
5) Install JmzFireHDTool_v4.apk and get Gapps

The goal is to get the latest FireOS with Gapps with Root and keep TWRP. Does this seem right?

Last edited:

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
Thanks, zeroing out the block made it work! I used the below command before writing that block again.

So now that I have TWRP finally, do I just go with the below steps?
1) Boot to TWRP
2) Wipe Data except internal
3) Flash this file via TWRP: 5.4.1_1133_stock_recovery_uboot.zip
4) Flash this file via TWRP: update-kindle-20.5.7.9_user_579279320.bin
5) Install JmzFireHDTool_v4.apk and get Gapps

The goal is to get the latest FireOS with Gapps with Root and keep TWRP. Does this seem right?

Well, it's a bit different, see this:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-hd/general/how-to-upgrade-to-lollipop-root-gapps-t3163950

If your Fire never had FireOS 5, use this file for everything: 5.2.0_stock_recovery_uboot.zip (earliest is best!)

smasher007

Jun 24, 2012
Reactions: bibikalka

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
I am finally on 5.4.1 with Gapps, my nephew will be happy! Thank you! :victory:

One last question, is there a specific method to get TWRP working with 5.2.0_stock_recovery_uboot?

5.x bootloaders cannot boot TWRP (so one must keep stock recovery with 5.x). Instead, temporarily replacing bootloaders with 4.5.3 version together with TWRP gets one into TWRP. Then 5.x bootloaders need to get restored or 5.x won't boot. That why that post #2 on TWRP is kind of complicated ;)

But, regardless, it seems that there are still tons of happy customers there ! :D

thallat

May 21, 2012
I see a lot of new people showing up on the forum, therefore would like to provide heads up for the 2017 Xmas season. First of all, do not rush this!!! Take a few days/weeks to get comfortable with the Android, if you are a total newbie.

Yes, root is still easily accessible to ANY FireOS version, if you have Fire HD 6/7 2014!

1) if you still have FireOS 4.x - use Kingroot directly to get root, install TWRP
2) if you have FireOS 5.x - try Kingroot first, if works - install TWRP (link). If Kingroot does not work, go to the next line
3) if you have any unrootable FireOS 5.x - sideload FireOS 4.5.3 (link), use Kingroot to get root, install TWRP (link).
4) if you have FireOS 5 and want to keep your user data intact (i.e., no factory reset which will have to happen if you go to 4.5.3 and then back to FireOS 5) - try this restore approach (link), it will write TWRP directly into memory. The only issue is that it may not work with the more recent FireOS versions.

Now, once you have TWRP working, proceed to install the latest rooted FireOS 5, as per this link.

I tried posting this reply in your original thread, bibikalka, but can't figure out if it actually worked as the supposed page where the post exists won't load. Maybe something to do with newbie posting restrictions. Speaking of, if XDA is going to restrict links posted by newbies, it'd be nice of them to include an easy obvious tool to strip them out after I already typed a long post containing multiple links.

First off, thanks so much, bibikalka, for everything you've done on this topic so far!

So I finally had enough of my Fire's crappy stock file management (somewhat mysterious and ever growing "Miscellaneous Others" category that there is no easy way to reduce) and decided to root. Thought for sure I had all of my bases covered when I started, but didn't realize until getting to the point of flashing back up to latest stock system, recovery, and bootloader that 5.4.0.1 was the last confirmed success and since I was allowing OTAs up until today, I must have been updated all the way to 5.6.0.1 before I flashed down to 4.5.3. Before I go any further, I'm hoping for some guidance on what to flash next.

What I've done so far:

1. Started with stock, relatively freshly factory reset, Fire HD 6, which as I said, should have been 5.6.0.1 (no, I didn't absolutely positively double check this before I started, but I remember an OTA system update pretty recently, so should be latest, which is 5.6.0.1 according to: amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201596860 ).
2. Enabled ADB on Fire and computer (which FWIW, I'm doing all this from my LXLE Eclectica 16.04.2 64bit).
3. Booted to stock recovery using "adb reboot recovery" and entered "Apply update from ADB" state from the stock recovery menu.
4. Sideloaded 4.5.3 rollback using "adb sideload update-kindle-20.4.5.3_user_453011120.bin" (file gotten from: kindle-fire-updates.s3.amazonaws.com/update-kindle-20.4.5.3_user_453011120.bin ).
5. After successful sideload, I performed a "wipe data/factory reset" and then a "reboot system" using the stock recovery menu.
6. Completed initial boot setup, skipping getting connected to WiFi.
7. Sideloaded jmzFireHDTool using "adb install JmzFireHDTool_v4.apk" (downloaded from : mega.nz/#F!qswxVQSb!E8NTrib3QYZU3ztlylbgmg ), and then disabled OTAs with it.
8. Sideloaded Kingroot using "adb install NewKingrootV5.2.2_C184_B435_en_release_2017_09_20_20170920220117_105203.apk" (also downloaded from : mega.nz/#F!qswxVQSb!E8NTrib3QYZU3ztlylbgmg , connected to local WiFi, and then let it run it's various system optimizations before requesting root, which didn't seem to even try to work let alone work.
9. Realized there was a newer Kingroot and sideloaded using "adb install -r NewKingrootV5.3.3_C193_B445_en_release_2018_01_23_20180124192653_105203.apk" (downloaded from: kingroot.net ), let it update some optimizations, and then requested root again. This time root succeeded.
10. Sideloaded Flashify using "adb install com.cgollner.flashify_1.9.2-64_minAPI14.apk" (downloaded from: mega.nz/#F!qswxVQSb!E8NTrib3QYZU3ztlylbgmg ).
11. Used Flashify to backup stock recovery and then flash TWRP 2.8.6.0-ariel (downloaded from: mega.nz/#F!qswxVQSb!E8NTrib3QYZU3ztlylbgmg and copied to Fire using "adb push -p openrecovery-twrp-2.8.6.0-ariel.img /sdcard/Download").
12. My Fire then rebooted into TWRP successfully (I didn't explicitly give a command to do so. I'm assuming Flashify defaults to rebooting into a recovery after flashing it.)
13. Started copying zip files needed for next step to Fire using "adb push" command. This is when I realized I wasn't sure what I was doing ;)

What bootloader do I need to flash given my Fire should have taken all OTA system updates to 5.6.0.1?
Does the system version I choose affect that? I honestly hadn't 100% decided if I was going to go back to Fire OS rooted (5.6.0.1, I guess) or try CM11.
Assuming I do stay with Fire OS, can anyone confirm gapps are working with latest 5.6.0.1? If not, what are my other options?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

bibikalka

May 14, 2015
What bootloader do I need to flash given my Fire should have taken all OTA system updates to 5.6.0.1?
Does the system version I choose affect that? I honestly hadn't 100% decided if I was going to go back to Fire OS rooted (5.6.0.1, I guess) or try CM11.
Assuming I do stay with Fire OS, can anyone confirm gapps are working with latest 5.6.0.1? If not, what are my other options?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

You should just skip flashing any bootloaders, and just flash recovery only. This way you'll have 5.6.0.1 bootloaders, which are flashed by OTA.

For GAPPS, you don't even need to worry flashing those in TWRP. Just use the SuperTool to install those as user apps, they will work just fine:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/development/amazon-fire-5th-gen-supertool-root-t3272695

The rest (Xposed,busybox) you can also flash from within FireOS (no need for TWRP).

Reactions: thallat

LuckyTheCoder

Jul 7, 2018
Hey, quick question, will this work with my Fire 7 (the boxy green one)
I also found that I can root my 6 on 5.x with Kingoroot PC. Just putting that out there so no one bricks while downgrading.

Like are you Talking about the Latest Fire OS? Because I thought I could Put a Custom ROM on my Fire HD 6.

arraff

Dec 22, 2011
Root os 4.1.1 and update to os 5.6.0.1

hi guys, is it possible to root hd6 os 4.1.1 with kingroot and then do the update to fire os 5.6.0.1 without losing the root?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

My fire hd 6 is on 4.5.4, what's the best way to get root and Gapps? Can I sideload 4.5.3 directly on it, or do I need to get the 5.2.2 development version first?

Good point, any 4.x version can be rooted directly by Kingroot, no need to go to 4.5.3 !
    Thank you. Is there a specific (latest) version of TWRP that you recommend?

I always used the 2015 version - just for historical reasons. But the 2016 one looks perfectly fine as well!

The 2016 TWRP is here :

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone