(TUT) HOW TO use google music outside US (post-beta version)

Search This thread

truthlesshero

Apr 28, 2010
So...I see a lot of people saying/complaining they can't use Google Music because they are outside of the US.
There are tons of tutorials out there on how to get it in the beta stage (via invite) but since the launch today, those don't work as efficiently because the invites are gone.

Here is how I got it to work for someone else tonight...I am sharing it with everyone so hopefully it'll help some people out (sticky if someone asks?)

Some of these steps will look similar to the beta version for this...but this is the only way I could SPECIFICALLY get it to work (other proxies/methods seem to not be reliable)

Step 1:
Download Tor Browser (https://www.torproject.org/index.html.en)

Step 2:
After extraction...click "Start Tor Browser.exe"...give it a few seconds while it properly connects to a proxy and such. It should automatically connect to a US proxy (go to whatismyipaddress.com to check where it has connected. If it hasn't, you can disconnect and try again OR change the settings so that it does connect to a US proxy (a number of guides are online on how to do this)

Step 3:
go to google.music.com ...and sign in with your regular account. Click accept on any terms and service and acknowledge that you are going to a secure site (or something to that nature). You will get a few errors after you sign in since the browser limits a lot of executions from websites. On the main google music page, just click on the "S" with the dash through it on the lower left hand side (under "playlists"...click on "ok" for the next pop up.

Step 4:
Click on "UPLOAD MUSIC"...then download the music manager. Install the music manager and just for brevity's sake, select a folder with very few songs in it to upload (so that you can get started right away)

Step 5:
Once it's done uploading, click on "home" under My Library and voilà..your songs should be there. After this, you NEVER need the Tor browser again...any time you log in to music.google.com, it should work on your regular browser because it acknowledges you uploaded songs...but if you click on "shop" to shop for some music, it will still block you because of the browser's limits...read on to get by that

OPTIONAL:
Download the google music apk (I've attached it to thise post) from these forums in order to sync with your device

NOW the fun part...getting to the Google Music store and getting some songs!

Step 6:
install hotspot shield. google it to find it...some people say this only half works for them as a VPN...but it's worked on every computer i've tried and is one of the few VPN's that will give you full functionality in a browser

Step 7:
connect to hotspot shield and use the browser of your choice (chrome, firefox, IE all work with my tests)

Step 8:
go to music.google.com...log into your account. Click on "shop". You will now be sent to the music area of the google market. Very fun.

Step 9:
This is the easiest way for the free songs...just go to any free song, click to buy it ("free" button)..and it'll ask you to log in a few times probably. It will then ask you for a credit card..put in a real credit card number (preferably yours) and whatever address you want. Just pick a US state and a valid zip code in that state (google whatever area you want). The address does not have to match the credit card for free songs. You are then given the option to complete your purchase...and then it goes through and syncs with your google music account automatically. Very sharp feature...Google is amazing.
Now the only caveat or thing you might be wondering..."what about songs that actually cost something?"...damn you for noticing the only thing i didn't cover!
The only way to bypass this is to buy, via online, a US visa or mastercard gift card that you can either reload or purchase once and throw away and then use that card to purchase the songs.

So there you go...a very nearly full functional use of google music....let me know what you think and if it's helped you out. Feel free to share the guide...but give reps my few hours of playing with proxies/tests to get it all working in one swoop. Thank you/gracias/merci

Edit: I've now attached the APK that some have requested..I know it was posted here and there...but at least this makes it a bit more of a "one stop shop" for the guide

Attachments

• com.google.android.music.4.0.9.apk
    4.8 MB · Views: 4,452
Last edited:

andevin

Jan 27, 2010
Looks like a great guide, and I guess it works for some, but I'm sad to say it didn't for me. The moment i sign in to music.google.com it says "We're sorry. Google Music is currently only available in the United States" even though I'm going there in Tor. Tried with Hotspot Shield enabled too.
I am in Norway.

Thanks though :)

edit: Ah, the problem seems to be that Tor is using an UK proxy instead of an US one. How can I change this?
edit2: I did it! Followed this guide to make it only use US proxies: http://www.blackhatworld.com/blackhat-seo/black-hat-seo-tools/8225-how-get-us-ip-addresses-tor.html

Thank you, great guide :D

Last edited:

zaphyr

Jun 23, 2008
Great guide....but waaay too mych hassle. Specially for paid music.
I'll just wait for the EU version ;)

Shape up, Google!

marksmithbvs

Aug 12, 2011
Its an awesome thing...I absolutely praise such an exclusive launch of music beta by google. However, initially i found it really difficult to get it as it is only accessible from USA which i think is unjustified for the rest of the world. One of my friend told me about the vpn services. And after acquiring vpn services i am ablt to use google music outside usa

somewall

Aug 29, 2010
has anyone got the newest google music 4.9.00 apk syncing with the google servers outside of the usa?

truthlesshero

Apr 28, 2010
somewall - the apk that is in this forum (in the same general category) works fine for me and others say that it has worked for them

andevin - thanks for the head's up...i'll make a note of it

for the credit card thing for the free songs...you do not necessarily need a US credit card.

I used mine (not an american credit card) and it worked fine...I just filled in the rest of the stuff...but for the city, i googled an american city (let's say...new york) and used that city, state, and zip code
when you go to purchase a song...it'll say "verifying" or "processing" and it'll purchase the free song regardless
to purchase actual songs that are not free, i will re-emphasize that you need a visa/mastercard gift credit card for it to work

hope this helps!

p.s. i now attached the google music APK to the original guide

Last edited:
Reactions: poppy8x

cpaixao

Dec 3, 2010
Sete Lagoas
to purchase actual songs that are not free, i will re-emphasize that you need a visa/mastercard gift credit card for it to work

hope this helps!

Sorry but here in Brazil i could buy song with a standard international credit card (santander mastercard). The only stuff i have to bring up here is that it only worked when i was connect by hotspot shield. On normal connection it says not avaliable for my country, still.. even free or payed songs.

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
Sorry but here in Brazil i could buy song with a standard international credit card (santander mastercard). The only stuff i have to bring up here is that it only worked when i was connect by hotspot shield. On normal connection it says not avaliable for my country, still.. even free or payed songs.

how did you enter the CC address information?

it only allows you to choose USA addresses

gbroon

Apr 3, 2011
I didn't even bother with tor I just installed hotspotshield, went to music.google.com and registered, installed the uploader and now don't need proxy for general use.

Haven't tried registering my card details so can't say how that works.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

cpaixao

Dec 3, 2010
Sete Lagoas
how did you enter the CC address information?

it only allows you to choose USA addresses

I used US adress as well. Dont had any problem with it. But my credit card is not registred on US. Its has been acquire in Brazil, as international standard, so billing information is brazillian too, not american.

Last edited:

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
any good free music worth getting?

i don't want to grab every single free song, else i'll hit the 20 000 max very soon, as my personal library is close to 15 000 :p

i picked up most of the time limited POP, ROCK, LATIN, and some 80s/90s stuff, and some world, some instrumental...

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
BUG & "fix"

if you have 2 or more Google Music account like I do :p

the Google Music App will not let you switch to another account the easy way

the work around is to use Titanium Backup and Wipe Data for Google Music

or you can do uninstall / reinstall

then it will let you pick through the welcome wizard again which Google Account you want to use for Google Music

Lollingsgrad

Dec 18, 2010
Does anyone know why it's only available in the US? I wouldn't want to risk my Google account over getting it early. Also for those saying that it will be in the EU soon, I've seen no reliable source stating this; in fact I'm mainly reading that there's currently no time frame on release outside the US.

pdppdp

Feb 16, 2011
To get the free songs you do NOT need to enter any cc information. Songs get added to your google-account.
I don't think that you'll get problems with google. Google would like to sell songs through their store worldwide. just the drm's rights-holder making problems in lots of countries.
now we just need to get google to accept cc from all over the world. damn google, why didn't you just implement that feature.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So...I see a lot of people saying/complaining they can't use Google Music because they are outside of the US.
    There are tons of tutorials out there on how to get it in the beta stage (via invite) but since the launch today, those don't work as efficiently because the invites are gone.

Here is how I got it to work for someone else tonight...I am sharing it with everyone so hopefully it'll help some people out (sticky if someone asks?)

Some of these steps will look similar to the beta version for this...but this is the only way I could SPECIFICALLY get it to work (other proxies/methods seem to not be reliable)

Step 1:
    Download Tor Browser (https://www.torproject.org/index.html.en)

Step 2:
    After extraction...click "Start Tor Browser.exe"...give it a few seconds while it properly connects to a proxy and such. It should automatically connect to a US proxy (go to whatismyipaddress.com to check where it has connected. If it hasn't, you can disconnect and try again OR change the settings so that it does connect to a US proxy (a number of guides are online on how to do this)

Step 3:
    go to google.music.com ...and sign in with your regular account. Click accept on any terms and service and acknowledge that you are going to a secure site (or something to that nature). You will get a few errors after you sign in since the browser limits a lot of executions from websites. On the main google music page, just click on the "S" with the dash through it on the lower left hand side (under "playlists"...click on "ok" for the next pop up.

Step 4:
    Click on "UPLOAD MUSIC"...then download the music manager. Install the music manager and just for brevity's sake, select a folder with very few songs in it to upload (so that you can get started right away)

Step 5:
    Once it's done uploading, click on "home" under My Library and voilà..your songs should be there. After this, you NEVER need the Tor browser again...any time you log in to music.google.com, it should work on your regular browser because it acknowledges you uploaded songs...but if you click on "shop" to shop for some music, it will still block you because of the browser's limits...read on to get by that

OPTIONAL:
    Download the google music apk (I've attached it to thise post) from these forums in order to sync with your device

NOW the fun part...getting to the Google Music store and getting some songs!

Step 6:
    install hotspot shield. google it to find it...some people say this only half works for them as a VPN...but it's worked on every computer i've tried and is one of the few VPN's that will give you full functionality in a browser

Step 7:
    connect to hotspot shield and use the browser of your choice (chrome, firefox, IE all work with my tests)

Step 8:
    go to music.google.com...log into your account. Click on "shop". You will now be sent to the music area of the google market. Very fun.

Step 9:
    This is the easiest way for the free songs...just go to any free song, click to buy it ("free" button)..and it'll ask you to log in a few times probably. It will then ask you for a credit card..put in a real credit card number (preferably yours) and whatever address you want. Just pick a US state and a valid zip code in that state (google whatever area you want). The address does not have to match the credit card for free songs. You are then given the option to complete your purchase...and then it goes through and syncs with your google music account automatically. Very sharp feature...Google is amazing.
    Now the only caveat or thing you might be wondering..."what about songs that actually cost something?"...damn you for noticing the only thing i didn't cover!
    The only way to bypass this is to buy, via online, a US visa or mastercard gift card that you can either reload or purchase once and throw away and then use that card to purchase the songs.

So there you go...a very nearly full functional use of google music....let me know what you think and if it's helped you out. Feel free to share the guide...but give reps my few hours of playing with proxies/tests to get it all working in one swoop. Thank you/gracias/merci

Edit: I've now attached the APK that some have requested..I know it was posted here and there...but at least this makes it a bit more of a "one stop shop" for the guide
    if your having problems with accepting terms and conditions just go to download.com cnet I think its is and just look for hide my IP, it will be a trial version but its OK as you only need to use it once. Install and run and install you add on for firefox the go to Google music and now accept the terms and conditions.you don't even need to use tor just hide my IP. Once installed upload some music and sync your Google music app and reboot your phone and it will install video and books. Its does eat a lot of data tho.

Sent from my R800i using xda premium
    This worked for me
    coffeecone.com/post/30092982099/use-google-music-outside-america-with-20000-storage-free
    somewall - the apk that is in this forum (in the same general category) works fine for me and others say that it has worked for them

andevin - thanks for the head's up...i'll make a note of it

for the credit card thing for the free songs...you do not necessarily need a US credit card.

I used mine (not an american credit card) and it worked fine...I just filled in the rest of the stuff...but for the city, i googled an american city (let's say...new york) and used that city, state, and zip code
    when you go to purchase a song...it'll say "verifying" or "processing" and it'll purchase the free song regardless

hope this helps!

What country are you in? and what zip code did you use?

Ireland 94709