• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Tut][Jan-update]Fix DTBO message "There's an internal problem with your device"

Search This thread

madscribblerz

Jan 13, 2014
Flash boot.
Reboot into twrp (fastboot boot twrp.img)
Flash twrp.zip
Flash kernel (optional)
Flash magisk (up to 15.2 works)

Reboot WITHOUT WIPING CACHE.

Whenever you wipe cache magisk will reupdate and you'll have to repeat.

upperbladez

Jan 3, 2018
Lol, came for the shout-out, stayed for 9/10 guide on getting rid of that horrendous boot message :D
Absolutely. Lol I thought I was the only one getting that message :p

Just curious...did you flash the dtbo.img on both slots? @light1ng suggested I do in this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75067584&postcount=3 Just curious what other people are doing.

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 AM ----------

Lol, came for the shout-out, stayed for 9/10 guide on getting rid of that horrendous boot message :D

Just curious...did you flash the dtbo.img on both slots? @Lightn1ng suggested I do in this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75067584&postcount=3 Just curious what other people are doing.

Last edited:

D3RP_

Mar 20, 2016

Just curious...did you flash the dtbo.img on both slots? @light1ng suggested I do in this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75067584&postcount=3 Just curious what other people are doing.

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 AM ----------

Just curious...did you flash the dtbo.img on both slots? @Lightn1ng suggested I do in this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75067584&postcount=3 Just curious what other people are doing.

Just dtbo on B. I messed up a flash on 'A' a few days ago and I don't wanna go through that again xD

vlucchetti

Dec 3, 2009
Latrobe, PA
Lol right on...So I'm confused. If I jump on A then would my phone not be rooted? Is it like a "second" image of an operating system? Or when you root does it root both slots?

Oh yeah, "A" screws you up big time,phone works, no root. I'm not overly worried about the message popping up. I just installed the January 2018 full image hoping it would disappear, no luck but no big deal for me.

Using manager 5.5.3

madscribblerz

Jan 13, 2014
Oh yeah, "A" screws you up big time,phone works, no root. I'm not overly worried about the message popping up. I just installed the January 2018 full image hoping it would disappear, no luck but no big deal for me.

Using manager 5.5.3

Root roots both slots. It's easy to get yourself hosed though - and deuces script is amazing. I use it to upgrade instead of flash-all as it updates both sides. You can have it update without wiping user.

So I use deuces script, fastboot boot twrp.img, flash twrp.zip (flashes both sides), flash flash kernel (which affects both sides), then magisk (again, hits both sides) then reboot without wiping cache. Note that if you reboot afterward you may get the dtbo message, and wiping cache will definitely cause the message, but it's harmless and will go away after the next magisk update.

Reactions: gvsukids

vlucchetti

Dec 3, 2009
Latrobe, PA
Thanks for that great background information, have a question for you though, with us rooted with magisk, what partition should we be running off of a or b or doesn't it make any difference?

I could swear that when I first rooted in October that I was on partition B but after my December and January updates I believe I am on partition A.

Not sure what I did between then which caused me to install the December update, but I do remember hitting the A partition in twrp and it loaded the September (original) and I was unable to get the October one I was running back. had no root off of that A partition. rather than continue to muck around, I just updated to December.

Last edited:

madscribblerz

Jan 13, 2014
Thanks for that great background information, have a question for you though, with us rooted with magisk, what partition should we be running off of a or b or doesn't it make any difference?

I could swear that when I first rooted in October that I was on partition B but after my December and January updates I believe I am on partition A.

Not sure what I did between then which caused me to install the December update, but I do remember hitting the A partition in twrp and it loaded the September (original) and I was unable to get the October one I was running back. had no root off of that A partition. rather than continue to muck around, I just updated to December.

If you use deuces script both your a and b partition will be the update you use when running it, and all the root tools are dual sided, so which you're using doesn't matter at all.

iamjimmy

Dec 11, 2013
Does the Kernel patch DTBO image?
I have Magdisk 15.2 and EX Kernel installed. If I follow the OP and flash dtbo.img on both slots, do i have to flash the Kernel again?
I have Magdisk manager 5.5.2 installed (gets installed automatically when flashing magdisk ZIP in TWRP).
No matter what I do, Magdisk manager patches dtbo and on reboot - I get the dreaded message.
I did the following first to start fresh

Flashed stock boot img on both slots
booted into TWRP and flashed TWRP, EX Kernel and Magdisk.zip 15.2 in that order.
Did NOT clear cache
Reboot system. But Magdisk manager patches dtbo automatically.

Can I now just unistall Magdisk manager and then Fastboot flash dtbo on both slots
Reboot system and install older 5.4.0 Magdisk Manager?

Will doing this make me lose root? Or will the EX kernel stop working as I restored stock dtbo? Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

Flash boot.
Reboot into twrp (fastboot boot twrp.img)
Flash twrp.zip
Flash kernel (optional)
Flash magisk (up to 15.2 works)

Reboot WITHOUT WIPING CACHE.

Whenever you wipe cache magisk will reupdate and you'll have to repeat.

I did this exactly. But It did NOT work.
Flashing Magdisk 15.2 installs the latest Magdisk Manager which automatically patches DTBO.
Now the problem is that restoring stock dtbo might interfere with the Kernel.

Shadow/Walker

Dec 6, 2017
Just dtbo on B. I messed up a flash on 'A' a few days ago and I don't wanna go through that again xD

Lol right on...So I'm confused. If I jump on A then would my phone not be rooted? Is it like a "second" image of an operating system? Or when you root does it root both slots?

Using manager 5.5.3

I have Magdisk 15.2 and EX Kernel installed. If I follow the OP and flash dtbo.img on both slots, do i have to flash the Kernel again?
I have Magdisk manager 5.5.2 installed (gets installed automatically when flashing magdisk ZIP in TWRP).
No matter what I do, Magdisk manager patches dtbo and on reboot - I get the dreaded message.

booted into TWRP and flashed TWRP, EX Kernel and Magdisk.zip 15.2 in that order.
Did NOT clear cache

Can I now just unistall Magdisk manager and then Fastboot flash dtbo on both slots

Will doing this make me lose root? Or will the EX kernel stop working as I restored stock dtbo? Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

Flashing Magdisk 15.2 installs the latest Magdisk Manager which automatically patches DTBO.

Thread Updated please check the first page and let me know, Enjoy everyone
Cheers

madscribblerz

Jan 13, 2014

Did NOT clear cache

Yeah, I've since found out it patches dtbo on your second boot. Until magisk updates your best bet is magisk 4.6.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Tut][Jan-update]Fix DTBO message "There's an internal problem with your device"

Warning: I'm not responsible for any bricks or abnormalities, this tutorial is based on my personal trial, I DONT OWN MAGISK It's developed by @topjohnwu and this tutorial is only for the full 8.1 (api27) December 05

Disclaimer: on recent updates topjohnwu released magisk boot scripts that clears avb-verity to allow modifications on the vendor partitions and all of that was possible by patching dtbo automatically using magisk manager and google developers assigned any unclear vendor modifications will indicate a message "There's an internal problem with your device. Contact your manufacturer for details"

make sure you have the latest magisk 14.5 installed using topjohnwu's tutorial

- uninstall magisk manager from your phone
    - extract original dtbo.img from google's factory image 8.1 - 05 december's release
    -reboot to bootloader using key combination vol- power or using adb command
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    -install dtbo using fastboot commands
    Code:
    fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
    -reboot the system
    -the message is gone
    - install magisk-manager 5.4.0
    - open the magisk manager and go to settings and turn-off update notification option
    Reminder: If you are going to update magisk manager to 5.4.2 or later then dtbo will be automatically patched and you will see the message again the next reboot, please be aware that this is a temporairly fix until topjohnwu makes dtbo patch optional, so far modules , su and scripts are working like charm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jan Update
    Hello Pixel Team, There have been some changes done recently
    "there seems to be some sort of confusion about a/b slots, but Google made this method in order to avoid a catastrophic failure during an OTA update.
    so for example: partitions like "radio, vendor, boot, bootloader and system" are occupied twice, so if boot.img is 50MB then it will be 50*2 = 100 which is installed on both slots (A/B).

DTBO slots dilemma solution:

Simply if your system is running on slot A which it is by default, then flash the DTBO to slot A.
    Now let's wrap this up by saying we're glad that topjohnwu added new preserve option but since he updated magisk to 15.2 there seems to be a problem with that ,The flashable magisk triggers a script noticed in patchDTBO() script to automatically patch the DTBO.
    Therefore I advise you to install Magisk 15.1 for the moment with the latest magisk manager if you want, that's also temporarily until the OP fix the issue ,definitely make sure you tick Preserve AVB option.
    Make sure you also follow the same instructions in flashing the stock DTBO from Jan+ factory images
    Bonus tip : to avoid notifications about updating, change the channel to custom and leave it blank in the magisk manager settings
    : download link

Cheers :)
    Thread cleaned. Everyone is entitled to opinions, but if an argument gets heated (which is shouldn't be), take it to PMs. Let's all be civil here. Thank you.
    Not to necropost, but it appears Magisk is again attempting to patch dtbo.img. Happened on the latest beta tonight, and even upon rolling back to latest stable.

replying again, because the solution has been found ;) I mean - it was always there, I just didn't read that [in the original Magisk thread].

so, the steps are:
    1. using Magisk Manager, uninstall Magisk by choosing "restore images".
    2. restart your phone
    3. open Magisk Manager, do not install Magisk - first check two options to "Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verify" and "force encryption" [well, this isn't mentioned, but it seemed like is needed on my Pixel]
    4. install Magisk as usually [patched boot etc.]
    5. profit :)

I wouldn't because I've seen users reported that the message is back after reboot and my method is also working so support development by way other than satellite posts to your thread.
    Magisk manager 5.4.2 update didn't seem different for pixel 2 phones.
    Yep, I knew about the second zip file and that's where I didn't find it unless I was just hallucinating LOL! I could dig around and try to find a screenshot later but I've been around the block a couple of times. Yet that is very good advice.

And I believe you also helped me see where I erred with EX Kernel - flashing Magisk before flashing EX Kernel. Should I have restarted the device before installing Magisk?

Thanks,
    Janx

Meh...I still make lots of mistakes too. No biggie. You don't have to reboot after you flash a kernel, and the go back to twrp to flash magisk. Just do them in succession :good: