[TUT] Port CDMA roms to your GSM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

B1nny

XDA Portal Team / Retired Forum Moderator
May 18, 2008
Hello XDA-members!

After I've got some positive feedback in the Evo 3D general section, I will explain how I got the Evo 3D CDMA rom working on my GSM Evo 3D.

First of all I'd like to thank the warm team for figuring out what the exact differences are between the CDMA & GSM roms. Also thanks aamikam for making a hybrid CDMA/GSM rom, I've looked at this rom to find out what files to replace.

Let's get to work!
2znznl4.png

At the bottom of this post I've posted a download link to a PDF file which contains the file structure of the "shooteru" folder in the "MikRunny v1.02" rom. You will need this to find out which files you need to replace; feel free to mirror it.
Once you open the PDF file you will see a list of folders with files in it. Those are the files YOU need to replace with the files of a GSM rom. Make sure you use files of the same version of android, if the CDMA rom is android 2.3.4 with HTC Sense, use GSM files of android 2.3.4 with HTC Sense. If the CDMA rom is AOSP android 4.0.1, use GSM files of android 4.0.1, you get the point I hope...

What I did to port the CDMA Android Revolution rom to the GSM:
1. Download the CDMA Android Revolution rom & download a android 2.3.4 rom with HTC Sense, in my case LeeDroid
2. Look at the file structure, and take all the files listed there from the LeeDroid rom, and replace the files in the CDMA Android Revolution rom. (If some files listed don't exist, don't worry just skip them)
3. Replace the boot.img(kernel) with the kernel of LeeDroid.
4. Compare the updater-scripts. (Check the blocks they format and change if needed)
5. Flash your ported rom, and see if it works!

This is all I did with the Android Revolution rom, and most of the hardware seems to be working!! I will post a download to the rom ported by me at the bottom of this post. All credits go to Android Revolution for this rom!!!

Of course not everything works, as the rom I ported still had the CDMA settings.apk I couldn't change the APN's so I didn't have a data connection. It also didn't see my wpa2 wifi network. These are things that you have to sort out, some things will work at once, others won't.

I would also like to ask everyone who has achieved to successfully port a rom to our Evo 3D GSM to make a thread in the development section and upload your rom so everyone can enjoy it! This will also come in handy when solving problems, write down the bugs you found, and all the members will try to look for fixes or have fixed your problems already! That's why we are a community ;) don't keep it for yourself, share it!

Goodluck everyone!

Ideas
2znznl4.png

Merging the GSM & CDMA forums
If port is now possible would it not make more sense to merge the development threads and request all devs to release the Rom simultaneously for both gsm and cdma. I would recommend a poll on this to see if all agree maybe in the general section.
My response to this was
Hmm.. we could do it, but before we do that we first need to figure out how to fix all the 'bugs' at once. With this method roms boot, and most of the hardware works, but if you want a data connection, you will need the GSM settings.apk app to add APN's and such. I think it's only a matter of dropping the right APK files in /system/app/ but it's pretty important.
And pulser_g2 gave some interesting advice at how we could solve this problem
Don't do that - instead find out WHAT the differences are, and make a smali patch for it. Then you can patch any modified Settings APK to work on the GSM one.

Successful ports
2znznl4.png

Yes! We have our first port from the CDMA Evo 3D posted on our GSM forums!!
- InfectedROM Eternity™ Sense 3.5 GSM with UNITY v3 by dit3 [REMOVED]

My downloads
2znznl4.png

- File structure PDF: http://www.multiupload.com/6HDPEBPWKI
- CDMA Android Revolution ported to GSM: http://www.multiupload.com/QWECW5FKDR

Last edited:

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
This is interesting, well done to the person who figured this out.

Maybe a change log of whats working and whats not, if it's just mobile data and all your have to do is change the apn's then that's a small price to pay.

Thanks for this, i was about to give up on the EVO.

B1nny

May 18, 2008
This is interesting, well done to the person who figured this out.

Maybe a change log of whats working and whats not, if it's just mobile data and all your have to do is change the apn's then that's a small price to pay.

Thanks for this, i was about to give up on the EVO.

The warm team figured out what files were different, I found out which files through aamikam's rom, and I tried it on a CDMA rom and it worked. :)

Also I think the mobile data is very simple: replace settings.apk, try it out yourself, I'm going to a party tonight and have to show of my fully working Evo 3D, so I can't try it out rightnow :p but feel free to do it!

Reactions: dladz

oMaRcO

Sep 3, 2007
So we can now port a FULL working(camera) cdma miui rom to Gsm?? Or only sens roms??

Last edited:

dladz

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Huawei Watch 2
OnePlus 8
The warm team figured out what files were different, I found out which files through aamikam's rom, and I tried it on a CDMA rom and it worked. :)

Also I think the mobile data is very simple: replace settings.apk, try it out yourself, I'm going to a party tonight and have to show of my fully working Evo 3D, so I can't try it out rightnow :p but feel free to do it!

Will give it a whirl later on, hopefully i can port it successfully, i think the US version of this phone has had major attention compared to the GSM version, shame really as we need some good rom's.

B1nny

May 18, 2008
Will give it a whirl later on, hopefully i can port it successfully, i think the US version of this phone has had major attention compared to the GSM version, shame really as we need some good rom's.

That's why I tried out to port a rom from the CDMA to the GSM, and it worked out great! Now wait for more people to try it, and let the GSM forums rock ^^

T

thre3aces

Thanks a Google :D

Sent from my mythical enchanted asynchronous 3VO

B1nny

May 18, 2008
I remember that i read it on a page, that someone try to flash a wrong rom and brick his phone... okay whatever. I will try to port a cdma rom and give a feedback. I cant belive that is so easy:D i MUST try it;)

S-Off Powerd EVO 3D with ROMeOS3D

Goodluck!

Also keep in mind, after the rom is booting, you cannot expect everything to work ;) you might need to change some other files!

metamasterplay

Mar 20, 2011
Casablanca
I remember that i read it on a page, that someone try to flash a wrong rom and brick his phone... okay whatever. I will try to port a cdma rom and give a feedback. I cant belive that is so easy:D i MUST try it;)

Please read carefully the OP. There's a part where he said that you'll have to change mountpoints in the updater-script. Not doing so will mess up with the internal storage.

B1nny

May 18, 2008
Okay i take a look at the PDF. All these files i must copy in the cdma rom right? Than i flash it via cwm and all done?

basically yes, then it might need some more fixing for specific things, also what that guy up here said is very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello XDA-members!

After I've got some positive feedback in the Evo 3D general section, I will explain how I got the Evo 3D CDMA rom working on my GSM Evo 3D.

First of all I'd like to thank the warm team for figuring out what the exact differences are between the CDMA & GSM roms. Also thanks aamikam for making a hybrid CDMA/GSM rom, I've looked at this rom to find out what files to replace.

Let's get to work!
    2znznl4.png

At the bottom of this post I've posted a download link to a PDF file which contains the file structure of the "shooteru" folder in the "MikRunny v1.02" rom. You will need this to find out which files you need to replace; feel free to mirror it.
    Once you open the PDF file you will see a list of folders with files in it. Those are the files YOU need to replace with the files of a GSM rom. Make sure you use files of the same version of android, if the CDMA rom is android 2.3.4 with HTC Sense, use GSM files of android 2.3.4 with HTC Sense. If the CDMA rom is AOSP android 4.0.1, use GSM files of android 4.0.1, you get the point I hope...

What I did to port the CDMA Android Revolution rom to the GSM:
    1. Download the CDMA Android Revolution rom & download a android 2.3.4 rom with HTC Sense, in my case LeeDroid
    2. Look at the file structure, and take all the files listed there from the LeeDroid rom, and replace the files in the CDMA Android Revolution rom. (If some files listed don't exist, don't worry just skip them)
    3. Replace the boot.img(kernel) with the kernel of LeeDroid.
    4. Compare the updater-scripts. (Check the blocks they format and change if needed)
    5. Flash your ported rom, and see if it works!

This is all I did with the Android Revolution rom, and most of the hardware seems to be working!! I will post a download to the rom ported by me at the bottom of this post. All credits go to Android Revolution for this rom!!!

Of course not everything works, as the rom I ported still had the CDMA settings.apk I couldn't change the APN's so I didn't have a data connection. It also didn't see my wpa2 wifi network. These are things that you have to sort out, some things will work at once, others won't.

I would also like to ask everyone who has achieved to successfully port a rom to our Evo 3D GSM to make a thread in the development section and upload your rom so everyone can enjoy it! This will also come in handy when solving problems, write down the bugs you found, and all the members will try to look for fixes or have fixed your problems already! That's why we are a community ;) don't keep it for yourself, share it!

Goodluck everyone!

Ideas
    2znznl4.png

Merging the GSM & CDMA forums
    If port is now possible would it not make more sense to merge the development threads and request all devs to release the Rom simultaneously for both gsm and cdma. I would recommend a poll on this to see if all agree maybe in the general section.
    My response to this was
    Hmm.. we could do it, but before we do that we first need to figure out how to fix all the 'bugs' at once. With this method roms boot, and most of the hardware works, but if you want a data connection, you will need the GSM settings.apk app to add APN's and such. I think it's only a matter of dropping the right APK files in /system/app/ but it's pretty important.
    And pulser_g2 gave some interesting advice at how we could solve this problem
    Don't do that - instead find out WHAT the differences are, and make a smali patch for it. Then you can patch any modified Settings APK to work on the GSM one.

Successful ports
    2znznl4.png

Yes! We have our first port from the CDMA Evo 3D posted on our GSM forums!!
    - InfectedROM Eternity™ Sense 3.5 GSM with UNITY v3 by dit3 [REMOVED]

My downloads
    2znznl4.png

- File structure PDF: http://www.multiupload.com/6HDPEBPWKI
    - CDMA Android Revolution ported to GSM: http://www.multiupload.com/QWECW5FKDR
    and so I thanked you when I was supposed to ask a question...

and further.. if you upload the ROM. Will you be able to support it, when the user storm hits you?

I dont think no ROM should be uploaded from someone who is'nt a dev and who can not support it..
    further you should not only just check with the CDMA devs if it's ok with your "port", but also with the GSM dev wich you are copying files from.
    Im interested to know what for example Lee feels about that kind of business.

Its ok to experiment, but keep it to yourself and dont "share" something you dont own and that you cant support, in my opinion, please..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    You're totally right. So we just should just pull out all these custom ROMs since HTC did not give any permission for end users to temper with their ROMs and their hardwork. Now that's funny the guys stealing intellectual property now asking for some...

And since all these ROMs are more buggy than their stock counterparts, all we are doing now is polluting their name am I not right? You will tell me that these custom ROMs bring new features that HTC couldn't/wouldn't provide. Well these ports also bring new features that original devs and you couldn't/wouldn't provide: Compatibility with another device. And until one of these devs step out and provide the official ROM, unexperienced none devs users have legal/moral right to do whatever they're doing right now. And that's a hell lot better than just sitting and waiting until the forum dies.
    Mikrunny (the second Hybrid ROM) took all the diff files that Warm team found. One of these files I myself found and posted it in their thread, and that file I took from mdj's Virtuous ROM which he took from someone else until we reach back to HTC. I'm sure that at least 2 from this chain were not asked for permissions to share their findings.

Please if you're not helping EVO3D users have more choice regarding custom ROMs then stop from letting others do so. And providing support is their own business not yours.
    and so I thanked you when I was supposed to ask a question...

and further.. if you upload the ROM. Will you be able to support it, when the user storm hits you?

I dont think no ROM should be uploaded from someone who is'nt a dev and who can not support it..
    further you should not only just check with the CDMA devs if it's ok with your "port", but also with the GSM dev wich you are copying files from.
    Im interested to know what for example Lee feels about that kind of business.

Its ok to experiment, but keep it to yourself and dont "share" something you dont own and that you cant support, in my opinion, please..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

I agree with you that I'm not a real dev, I know the basics, like to mess around with phones until they don't work anymore and then restore it again. I like to find out stuff and help people. I also like to motivate people to do/make things like I do in this thread. Everyone starts somewhere, about a year ago, when I still had my hero they were trying to port a gingerbread rom with sense 2.1 to the device. Someone called JieeHD wanted to give it a go, we talked, I helped him a bit and he made lots of good roms for the HTC Hero. Now he's an official developer of the VillainRom team. (on freenode, #villainrom) I'm not saying that I was the beginning of his success, he did it all by himself, but I've seen him 'develop'. Also you shouldn't tell people to keep their roms off the forums because they're just bad ports, because everyone starts somewhere. And I would totally LOVE to see this happening over and over again! We are a community and everyone helps each other in most cases. There are loads of IRC channels with good developers who are willing to help with every device, exellent kernel makers, we have everything!

You're totally right. So we just should just pull out all these custom ROMs since HTC did not give any permission for end users to temper with their ROMs and their hardwork. Now that's funny the guys stealing intellectual property now asking for some...

And since all these ROMs are more buggy than their stock counterparts, all we are doing now is polluting their name am I not right? You will tell me that these custom ROMs bring new features that HTC couldn't/wouldn't provide. Well these ports also bring new features that original devs and you couldn't/wouldn't provide: Compatibility with another device. And until one of these devs step out and provide the official ROM, unexperienced none devs users have legal/moral right to do whatever they're doing right now. And that's a hell lot better than just sitting and waiting until the forum dies.
    Mikrunny (the second Hybrid ROM) took all the diff files that Warm team found. One of these files I myself found and posted it in their thread, and that file I took from mdj's Virtuous ROM which he took from someone else until we reach back to HTC. I'm sure that at least 2 from this chain were not asked for permissions to share their findings.

Please if you're not helping EVO3D users have more choice regarding custom ROMs then stop from letting others do so. And providing support is their own business not yours.
    I agree with you that on these forums there is more than enough space for beginning developers or just people who want to try something out; and we shouldn't stop them from trying to do so. The thing he is .. don't really know the right word maybe 'afraid' (correct me if I'm wrong!) that the development section will be 'bloated' by buggy roms. But as I said earlier, we are a community and most developers all over the forums are willing to help anyone!
    Which is the one I really want to try can I ask what's working and what's not

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using XDA Premium App

It's not uploaded yet, as it isn't booting yet. Once it is, and it's a bit usable I will make a new thread and upload it.
    whoaaa, now this is amazing!!

trying on olympus titan HD :p