[TUT] Re-flash stock ROM (RUU) after bricking a rooted device (for noobs)

Search This thread

the Doctor

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 15, 2011
In the TARDIS
Before you start, you will need to set up your computer to properly recognize the phone. You probably did this when rooting originally, but just in case... Install SDK tools for Android, Java runtime, and HTC Sync.

About HTC Sync: The only reason you need HTC Sync installed is for the USB drivers that come with it. But the program itself has been known to cause conflicts. Make sure that HTC Sync is not running in the background by opening Task Manager in Windows and killing it if you find it lurking in there.

Here we go:

1. Download the correct RUU (ROM Update Utility) for your device from androidfiles.org. Make sure you download a Primo_C RUU for a CDMA device (no sim card) or a Primo_U RUU for a GSM device (uses a sim card)!! Also make sure you get the correct RUU for your carrier.

2. Charge the battery above 50% or for at least one hour. If the battery dies during the flashing process, you could hard brick the phone!

3. Run the RUU until the wizard comes up. While the RUU wizard is open, find the temporary folder it created. (Open Explorer in Windows and type %temp% in the navigation bar.) There will be two folders with long encrypted names. In one of them you will find ROM.zip. Open it with 7zip and extract recovery.img or recovery_signed.img. Put it in the location were you've installed Android SDK tools. This is the stock HTC Recovery and it is needed to run the RUU.

4. Boot the phone into bootloader (power off, hold down volume and press power) and highlight FASTBOOT using the volume rocker and pressing power. Then connect the USB cable. You should see FASTBOOT USB.

5. Open a command prompt in Windows and navigate to the folder where you installed Android SDK tools. Flash the stock recovery extracted in step 3 above using the following command:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
or
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed.img

6. Relock the bootloader using the following command:
Code:
fastboot oem lock

7. Re-run the RUU. It will restore the device to it's original condition, locked (though *** RELOCKED ***) and unrooted.

Once the install is done you'll have unlock the bootloader again using the token you already have from the first time, reflash CWM Recovery and re-root. All this will be 10x easier than the first time.

If you do re-root your phone, be 100% you backup the stock ROM in ClockworkMod Recovery before making changes!

Last edited:

maxwen

Jun 10, 2012
Hi

Thanks for that perfect decsription exactly when I needed it :)

I just had a weired effect with my new windows 7 laptop that I want to share.

I installed the USB drivers and "fastboot devices" showed my HTC fine
but even flashing the stock recovery image was not working.
So it was stucking in the "Sending" part and never continued.

I then moved to my old laptop with Vista did exactly the same things
and there it worked without problems.

I disabled virus scanner, checked for htsync and used the original USB cable
without success.

But now I know why I normally never touch Windows and only
work on linux :D

Regards

max

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Hi

If you do re-root your phone, be 100% you backup the stock ROM in ClockworkMod Recovery before making changes!

I have done that now - compared to my first "try" :D

Regards

max

Last edited:

lcavada

Jan 11, 2006
hi. thanks for the tips.

however when i do this, i get an error "FAILED <remote: signature verify fail>

Any suggestions?

sush93

Mar 8, 2012
not working:(

it keeps on saying waiting for device n does not proceed further
i tried installing the drivers again but that doesnt help either

pls help me out

thevilish

Feb 29, 2008
Hi folks,
I've bought my One V in late may and I had 2.08 ROM.
Now I've tested some roms and I wanted to revert back to stock rom.
I've downloaded RUU_PRIMO_U_ICS_40A_HTC_Europe_2.08.401.2_Radio_20.72.30.0833U_3831.17.00.18_M_release_263376_signed, and got recovery_signed and boot_signed images. Then I've went to fastboot, did flash recovery and boot partitions, and oem locked bootloader. Afterwards I booted my phone and entered PIN. Then I fired up RUU*.exe file, and I have 155 error. What the heck? Something I missed?

greetings!

ckpv5

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Hi folks,
I've downloaded RUU_PRIMO_U_ICS_40A_HTC_Europe_2.08.401.2_Radio_20.72.30.0833U_3831.17.00.18_M_release_263376_signed, and got recovery_signed and boot_signed images. Then I've went to fastboot, did flash recovery and boot partitions, and oem locked bootloader. Afterwards I booted my phone and entered PIN. Then I fired up RUU*.exe file, and I have 155 error. What the heck? Something I missed?

greetings!

Flashing RUU to revert to stock

- you must have the correct RUU for your device.
- if you are not sure, download CID Getter from Play Store and run it, it will show your CID.
- with your CID, you may be able to find a correct RUU for your device

then (even though some people may not agree with this, but this will bring no harm and it is noob-proof) do this:

1- flash a stock recovery.img

fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot erase cache

2- flash a stock boot.img

fastboot flash boot boot_signed.img
fastboot erase cache

3- re-lock bootloader

fastboot oem lock
fastboot erase cache

4- flash RUU

NOTE: There is no boot/reboot and enter pin in between.

A

asdfg01

help

Before you start, you will need to set up your computer to properly recognize the phone. You probably did this when rooting originally, but just in case... Install SDK tools for Android, Java runtime, and HTC Sync.

About HTC Sync: The only reason you need HTC Sync installed is for the USB drivers that come with it. But the program itself has been known to cause conflicts. Make sure that HTC Sync is not running in the background by opening Task Manager in Windows and killing it if you find it lurking in there.

Here we go:

1. Download the correct RUU for your device from Football's Primo Shipped ROM Collection.

2. Charge the battery above 50% or for at least one hour. If the battery dies during the flashing process, you could hard brick the phone!

3. Run the RUU until the wizard comes up. While the RUU wizard is open, find the temporary folder it created. (Open Explorer in Windows and type %temp% in the navigation bar.) There will be two folders with long encrypted names. In one of them you will find ROM.zip. Open it with 7zip and extract recovery.img or recovery_signed.img. Put it in the location were you've installed Android SDK tools. This is the stock HTC Recovery and it is needed to run the RUU.

4. Boot the phone into bootloader (power off, hold down volume and press power) and highlight FASTBOOT/B] using the volume rocker and pressing power. Then connect the USB cable. You should see FASTBOOT USB.

5. Open a command prompt in Windows and navigate to the folder where you installed Android SDK tools. Flash the stock recovery extracted in step 3 above using the following command:
Code:
or
Code:

Code:
fastboot oem lock

7. Re-run the RUU. It will restore the device to it's original condition, locked (though *** RELOCKED ***) and unrooted.

Once the install is done you'll have unlock the bootloader again using the token you already have from the first time, reflash CWM Recovery and re-root. All this will be 10x easier than the first time.

PLEASE HELP!

The 5th point does not work for me. I can not run the code.
What can i do?

cherryfloat

Aug 10, 2012
Bali
[ask] Error 155

hey guys, ive been reading all tutorial for reverting to stock RUU.
the first time i tried, it works prefectly.
then after a few weeks, i tried to revert to stock RUU, it failed .
it show error 155.

i already flash the boot , recovery that i found inside the stock RUU, also I've relock the phone.
but when i relock the phone, it show "info Lock successfully , status read failed no such file / directory"
when i enter bootloader, it show that my device already "relocked"

does the relocked proses is successfully ?

iam running PrimoU 2.09.707.1 with stock bootloader, CWM recovery, and rooted ..

ahsanaokp

Sep 21, 2012
I did exactly as it is mentioned but at the end where there is vertical progress bar it gives me an error of customer Id... Failed to update. What shud i do. How do I check what my customer Id is I can't Download it from play store coz can't boot into normal screen... How do I make ruu and cid same.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here we go:

1. Download the correct RUU (ROM Update Utility) for your device from androidfiles.org. Make sure you download a Primo_C RUU for a CDMA device (no sim card) or a Primo_U RUU for a GSM device (uses a sim card)!! Also make sure you get the correct RUU for your carrier.

4. Boot the phone into bootloader (power off, hold down volume and press power) and highlight FASTBOOT using the volume rocker and pressing power. Then connect the USB cable. You should see FASTBOOT USB.

Code:
    or
    Code:

Code:
    fastboot oem lock

I've flashed CM10 and AOKP. Do I need the stock boot.img to do this? I've tried getting it from the Temp folder that the RUU makes, but rom.zip isn't showing up. I tried Googling it, but I only found a supposed stock boot.img for PrimoU.

Can I just flash the stock recovery and lock the bootloader and run the RUU, or do I need to flash stock boot.img, too?

You just need to :

put your device in fastboot mode
    then relock booloader - fastboot oem lock
    then run RUU (also in fastboot mode)

and here is the stock boot.img for CDMA/VM if you ever need it : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31902114&postcount=8
    Hi

Thanks for that perfect decsription exactly when I needed it :)

I just had a weired effect with my new windows 7 laptop that I want to share.

I installed the USB drivers and "fastboot devices" showed my HTC fine
    but even flashing the stock recovery image was not working.
    So it was stucking in the "Sending" part and never continued.

I then moved to my old laptop with Vista did exactly the same things
    and there it worked without problems.

I disabled virus scanner, checked for htsync and used the original USB cable
    without success.

But now I know why I normally never touch Windows and only
    work on linux :D

Regards

max

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Hi

I have done that now - compared to my first "try" :D

Regards

max
    and... how do i make them the same?

Use the correct RUU package for your device

regards

max
    Hi folks,

greetings!

Flashing RUU to revert to stock

- you must have the correct RUU for your device.
    - if you are not sure, download CID Getter from Play Store and run it, it will show your CID.
    - with your CID, you may be able to find a correct RUU for your device

then (even though some people may not agree with this, but this will bring no harm and it is noob-proof) do this:

1- flash a stock recovery.img

fastboot erase cache

2- flash a stock boot.img

fastboot flash boot boot_signed.img
    fastboot erase cache

3- re-lock bootloader

fastboot oem lock
    fastboot erase cache

4- flash RUU

NOTE: There is no boot/reboot and enter pin in between.