[TUT] Remove default launcher on Amazon Fire 8" & 10" (NO ROOT)

Search This thread

nyln

Dec 30, 2015
I never finished this, please use Launcher Hijacker v3+ as it works much much better!

EDIT 09/23/16
I finally found a permanent solution to how to change fire launcher on the Amazon Fire without root. It works on any version (FireOS 5.3.1) on any tablet variant (7, HD 8, HD 10 etc...).

You can read the detailed tutorial at http://forum.xda-developers.com/ama...-remove-default-launcher-amazon-fire-t3288310 but basically you run one command, must be done after reboot currently via adb shell:
Noval Launcher on Amazon Fire no-root:
Code:
nohup logcat -c; logcat | grep --line-buffered 'flg=0x10200000 cmp=com.amazon.firelauncher/.Launcher' | while read line; do am start com.teslacoilsw.launcher/.NovaLauncher; done &
That's it. Once you paste that into your adb shell you're done; you now have a default launcher programmatically set via ADB.
Optionally, you can install the modded firelauncher.apk so you can finally delete it without root :).
(this is optional, you wont have any launcher after doing this! backup your old APK!!)
Code:
adb install -r -d com.amazon.firelauncher.apk
... as you can now see this will -r reinstall and -d downgrade the launcher, causing it to crash and never open.

Thanks for your support guys, I love android!

EDIT:
I have updated with a new method that is much better, the only negative to this new method is when you hit the home button, for a brief moment you see the firelauncher. Performance, speed, and bugs are perfect.

Just paste this code in adb shell, I'm working on setting up nohup to work with it, when you close adb it will stop working.. Going to bed for now though.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
am monitor | while read -r line; do
	if [[ $line == *"firelauncher"* ]]
	then
	  am start [B]com.newlauncher.launcher[/B]
	fi
done

I'm new to the whole Android scene, and recently I had acquired an Amazon Fire HD 8. The only complaint about this tablet is the lack of Google Play and the horrible firelauncher. There is currently no root options available for the Fire HD modles 8 & 10, so I have spent the time to develop a temporary workaround.

Please take a quick look at the developmental thread I previously created so we can collaborate to make a more efficient version of this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8...zon-fire-hd-8-10-remove-firelauncher-t3286646

Disclaimer:
  • If you plan on installing new applications/packages while this script is running you may have a hard time. Installing packages may take 2-10 minutes, or maybe not at all!
  • If you experience any problems you can undo everything by running the undo script attatched (unix), or by typing "adb shell ps | grep /system/bin/sh", you will see anywhere from 2-10 processes listed. For each type "adb shell kill -9 <pid>", pid would be the process ID, should be the first number you see on each line.
  • There is a small chance when you press the home button that it will load the regular firelauncher, do not fret, try again and it will go to whichever launcher you previously selected.
  • Performance may be slightly altered, if it becomes too bad to use try adjusting the script and change the interval at which it loops (set to 20 by default).
  • This is an alpha experiment, and I am a noob with Android so please bare with me
This is a noobish approach to disabling the firelauncher (com.amazon.firelauncher.apk), please do not judge it, this is also my first time releasing something for Android.

If you are using a unix operating system (like Linux or Mac), I have compiled a script that does the work for you! Windows users will have to wait and do it manually since I am unfamilar with batch (would someone like to help with this?)

Automatic Tool (easy, linux, mac only)

Step One:
Download the two script attachments:
remove_default_launcher.sh - disables amazon's firelauncher
re-endable_firelauncher(undo).sh - reverts the process, if you have any issues

Step Two:
Run the following commands to make the scripts executable:
Code:
chmod +x remove_default_launcher.sh
chmod +x re-endable_firelauncher(undo).sh

Here is a video showing you how to do this next step:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IVOa048UbY

Run the tool to remove amazon's nasty launcher!
Code:
./remove_default_launcher.sh

Step Three:
The script should automatically do everything, when it's done, check your Fire. Keep pressing the home button and switching between applications until you get the "Change default launcher" dialogue, make sure you have an alternative launcher installed beforehand or else you won't have a launcher! When it's all working how it should be go to step four!

Step Four:
Simply exit out of your terminal window, do not type anything, just exit ADB. The script will continue running!
This is what a successful window looks like, whenever you have confirmed it is working, close out of the ADB window and end that process.
Screen_Shot_2016_01_07_at_9_38_38_PM.png

Manually (harder, windows)

Step One:
Open up a new ADB shell window and type
Code:
adb shell

Step Two:
Once you are in the shell window, simply copy and paste this line of code and press return. It is just a simple bash script that loops the command "install -r -d "/system/priv-app/com.amazon.firelauncher/com.amazon.firelauncher.apk"" which will reinstall the firelauncher repeatedly, which temporary uninstalls it.

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
nohup
while :
do
	kill $!
	sleep 1 & pm install -r -d "/system/priv-app/com.amazon.firelauncher/com.amazon.firelauncher.apk" & sleep 20; kill $!
	kill $!
done &
exit
#press enter now
After pressing enter, you can watch it go to work, or you can close out of the adb window and unplug your device, it will continue to run until you kill the shell processes or reboot the device. Make sure you have an alternative launcher already installed so it can easily be set as default. EDIT: Reboot may not reset it, which is cool but could be annoying. To turn off this wonderful feature open up adb shell and use "ls | grep shell" and kill using "kill <pid>" all releated processes to /bin/shell or whatever. It may take up to a minute to reset.

If you have any issues at all please comment and I will send you a private message with detailed instructions catered to your specific issue!
If you are a dev, take a look at my unix auto-install script, it may help you figure it out yourself as well. I need someone who understands batch to help me write a windows version :).

I literally spent about 45 minutes working on this noobish approach, so if you find bugs or want to modify the script, simply post in the comments your version and why you think it is more efficient. If you want to help make a dedicated and more efficient approach to this, check out the development thread here (there are alternative methods here too):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8...zon-fire-hd-8-10-remove-firelauncher-t3286646

This appears to be a very stable system actually, I recommend everyone does this to the Fire HD tablets!
I hope this helps someone, if this helps you please give me a thanks so I know it :)

Attachments

• remove_default_launcher.sh.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 5,771
  • re-endable_firelauncher(undo).sh.zip
    1,016 bytes · Views: 2,184
Last edited:
G

GuestD1099

Just tried this on my HD 8. Works like a charm! Haven't noticed much of a performance decrease as I figured would happen. On occasions when I press home it likes to hang at a black screen until I press home again. Other than that its perfect. Thanks! :D

nyln

Dec 30, 2015
Just tried this on my HD 8. Works like a charm! Haven't noticed much of a performance decrease as I figured would happen. On occasions when I press home it likes to hang at a black screen until I press home again. Other than that its perfect. Thanks! :D

I am working on a better version, I have noticed some performance issues that irritate me.. I also made the scripts better much better.
I am glad I was able to help you :).

Reactions: Cl3Kener

nyln

Dec 30, 2015
I have updated with a new method that is much better, the only negative to this new method is when you hit the home button, for a brief moment you see the firelauncher. Performance, speed, and bugs are perfect.

Just paste this code in adb shell, I'm working on setting up nohup to work with it, when you close adb it will stop working.. Going to bed for now though.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
	then
	fi
done

nyln

Dec 30, 2015

Code:
#!/bin/bash
	then
	fi
done
Has anyone had any luck finding a way to keep this script running? I am experimenting with Python..

nyln

Dec 30, 2015
I have not had too much time to work on this, but all the puzzle pieces are here if anyone wants to make a permanent solution.

schr01

Sep 29, 2010
Oldenburg
I have not had too much time to work on this, but all the puzzle pieces are here if anyone wants to make a permanent solution.

I have used your manual method and during the execution of this process I could with the command "adb shell pm hide com.amazon.firelauncher" the amazon firelauncher set as permanent hidden. After that I could set the Nova Launcher as a standard launcher. As a substitute for home button (was not working) I set in the "overlays app" the Nova launcher as a foreground application. So I can select the foreground Nova launcher symbol as a home replacement. For me is that a good workaround.

nyln

Dec 30, 2015
I have used your manual method and during the execution of this process I could with the command "adb shell pm hide com.amazon.firelauncher" the amazon firelauncher set as permanent hidden. After that I could set the Nova Launcher as a standard launcher. As a substitute for home button (was not working) I set in the "overlays app" the Nova launcher as a foreground application. So I can select the foreground Nova launcher symbol as a home replacement. For me is that a good workaround.

The package manager requires root or superuser in order to hide/disable the firelauncher package properly. You probably have the 7" model.

schr01

Sep 29, 2010
Oldenburg
The package manager requires root or superuser in order to hide/disable the firelauncher package properly. You probably have the 7" model.

That is true, that the package manager requires root or superuser in order to hide/disable the firelauncher package.
But there must be a "time gap" when there is running in a first adb window (task) the following adb shell script
!/system/bin/sh
nohup
while :
do
kill $!
sleep 1 & pm install -r -d "/system/priv-app/com.amazon.firelauncher/com.amazon.firelauncher.apk" & sleep 20; kill $!
kill $!
done &
exit
and in a second adb window (task) is executed the "adb shell pm hide com.amazon.firelauncher" command.
Remark: I must multiple times repeat this command until I get the "TRUE" confirmation.
I has this done on my HD8 ( 5th generation) model. wiht the firmware 5.1.1.

Reactions: funkypc

newaki

Dec 31, 2008
nyln: awesome job!

now i bought this tablet for my son (6 yrs old) and the "child profiles" suck since they do not allow non amazon apps to be shown there. So having the nova launcher is the next best thing since i can hide the apps i dont want him touching. Problem is this if we are out somewhere and an app crashes the tablet, i have no way to get nova back on.

Is there a way to put this script on the tablet and run it that way?

nyln

Dec 30, 2015
@nyln can't wait to try this when i get home, can you install widgets on nova launcher now?

Sent from my HTC 10 using XDA Labs

How it actually works:
First of all, corrupting the firelauncher will prevent your system from loading it, which saves memory and cpu resources on these low-end devices. After that, in order to replace the system launcher I actually just intercept the home activity and allow a launcher of your choice to open. So it's really just a clean hack you won't notice. Only downside currently is the fact that it takes about 100ms for your home button to actually take you to the launcher of your choice.

tldr: It should work perfectly normally with widget.

Reactions: Cl3Kener and ahac85

aldileon

Jun 17, 2012
Munich
@nyln when i try to execute the script i get "syntax error: 'while' unmatched"

I saved the script to a file on my fire HD 8 and executed it with sh filename.sh, because with adb shell i pasted the text but i couldn't press enter to execute it. It just entered a new line to the script.

Here is how it looks:
XSGlcY5.png

Last edited:

nyln

Dec 30, 2015
@nyln when i try to execute the script i get "syntax error: 'while' unmatched"

I saved the script to a file on my fire HD 8 and executed it with sh filename.sh, because with adb shell i pasted the text but i couldn't press enter to execute it. It just entered a new line to the script.

Here is how it looks:
XSGlcY5.png

The image looks good. You may need unix for this or cygwin.

aldileon

Jun 17, 2012
Munich
But as i understood, the script runs on the fire tab? So why should it matter what OS I am pushing the script with? Or why should Unix work better than windows?

well.rested

Feb 3, 2013
I'm not totally naive to the command line, nor to customizing android installations. This is my first experience with the Amazon tablets; I have the Fire HD8 6th-gen. I'm running the 5.3.1.1 firmware. I tried entering the command in the top post, entered into a terminal emulator, and it didn't seem to return anything -- no error, no nothing. Still having the same issue; I can run NovaLauncher and it's fine until I get into a different app or hit home, then it goes back to Amazon's junk launcher... am I doing something wrong in the terminal?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I never finished this, please use Launcher Hijacker v3+ as it works much much better!

EDIT 09/23/16
    I finally found a permanent solution to how to change fire launcher on the Amazon Fire without root. It works on any version (FireOS 5.3.1) on any tablet variant (7, HD 8, HD 10 etc...).

You can read the detailed tutorial at http://forum.xda-developers.com/ama...-remove-default-launcher-amazon-fire-t3288310 but basically you run one command, must be done after reboot currently via adb shell:
    Noval Launcher on Amazon Fire no-root:
    Code:
    nohup logcat -c; logcat | grep --line-buffered 'flg=0x10200000 cmp=com.amazon.firelauncher/.Launcher' | while read line; do am start com.teslacoilsw.launcher/.NovaLauncher; done &
    That's it. Once you paste that into your adb shell you're done; you now have a default launcher programmatically set via ADB.
    Optionally, you can install the modded firelauncher.apk so you can finally delete it without root :).
    (this is optional, you wont have any launcher after doing this! backup your old APK!!)
    Code:
    adb install -r -d com.amazon.firelauncher.apk
    ... as you can now see this will -r reinstall and -d downgrade the launcher, causing it to crash and never open.

Thanks for your support guys, I love android!

EDIT:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    	then
    	fi
    done

I'm new to the whole Android scene, and recently I had acquired an Amazon Fire HD 8. The only complaint about this tablet is the lack of Google Play and the horrible firelauncher. There is currently no root options available for the Fire HD modles 8 & 10, so I have spent the time to develop a temporary workaround.

Please take a quick look at the developmental thread I previously created so we can collaborate to make a more efficient version of this:

Disclaimer:
    • If you plan on installing new applications/packages while this script is running you may have a hard time. Installing packages may take 2-10 minutes, or maybe not at all!
    • If you experience any problems you can undo everything by running the undo script attatched (unix), or by typing "adb shell ps | grep /system/bin/sh", you will see anywhere from 2-10 processes listed. For each type "adb shell kill -9 <pid>", pid would be the process ID, should be the first number you see on each line.
    • There is a small chance when you press the home button that it will load the regular firelauncher, do not fret, try again and it will go to whichever launcher you previously selected.
    • Performance may be slightly altered, if it becomes too bad to use try adjusting the script and change the interval at which it loops (set to 20 by default).
    • This is an alpha experiment, and I am a noob with Android so please bare with me
    This is a noobish approach to disabling the firelauncher (com.amazon.firelauncher.apk), please do not judge it, this is also my first time releasing something for Android.

If you are using a unix operating system (like Linux or Mac), I have compiled a script that does the work for you! Windows users will have to wait and do it manually since I am unfamilar with batch (would someone like to help with this?)

Automatic Tool (easy, linux, mac only)

Step One:
    Download the two script attachments:
    remove_default_launcher.sh - disables amazon's firelauncher
    re-endable_firelauncher(undo).sh - reverts the process, if you have any issues

Step Two:
    Run the following commands to make the scripts executable:
    Code:
    chmod +x remove_default_launcher.sh
    chmod +x re-endable_firelauncher(undo).sh

Here is a video showing you how to do this next step:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IVOa048UbY

Run the tool to remove amazon's nasty launcher!
    Code:
    ./remove_default_launcher.sh

Step Three:
    The script should automatically do everything, when it's done, check your Fire. Keep pressing the home button and switching between applications until you get the "Change default launcher" dialogue, make sure you have an alternative launcher installed beforehand or else you won't have a launcher! When it's all working how it should be go to step four!

Step Four:
    Simply exit out of your terminal window, do not type anything, just exit ADB. The script will continue running!
    This is what a successful window looks like, whenever you have confirmed it is working, close out of the ADB window and end that process.
    Screen_Shot_2016_01_07_at_9_38_38_PM.png

Manually (harder, windows)

Step One:
    Open up a new ADB shell window and type
    Code:
    adb shell

Step Two:
    Once you are in the shell window, simply copy and paste this line of code and press return. It is just a simple bash script that loops the command "install -r -d "/system/priv-app/com.amazon.firelauncher/com.amazon.firelauncher.apk"" which will reinstall the firelauncher repeatedly, which temporary uninstalls it.

Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    nohup
    while :
    do
    	kill $!
    	kill $!
    done &
    exit
    #press enter now
    After pressing enter, you can watch it go to work, or you can close out of the adb window and unplug your device, it will continue to run until you kill the shell processes or reboot the device. Make sure you have an alternative launcher already installed so it can easily be set as default. EDIT: Reboot may not reset it, which is cool but could be annoying. To turn off this wonderful feature open up adb shell and use "ls | grep shell" and kill using "kill <pid>" all releated processes to /bin/shell or whatever. It may take up to a minute to reset.

If you have any issues at all please comment and I will send you a private message with detailed instructions catered to your specific issue!
    If you are a dev, take a look at my unix auto-install script, it may help you figure it out yourself as well. I need someone who understands batch to help me write a windows version :).

I literally spent about 45 minutes working on this noobish approach, so if you find bugs or want to modify the script, simply post in the comments your version and why you think it is more efficient. If you want to help make a dedicated and more efficient approach to this, check out the development thread here (there are alternative methods here too):

This appears to be a very stable system actually, I recommend everyone does this to the Fire HD tablets!
    I hope this helps someone, if this helps you please give me a thanks so I know it :)
    Here's how I went about it:

1. Install Google Play Store (https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/how-to-install-google-play-store-fire-t3486603)
    2. Install your preferred launcher (I like ADWEX, you can choose your own favorite)
    3. Install Multi Action Home Button (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.home.button.bottom)
    4. Tell Multi Action Home Button where you want its button on the screen (I chose bottom right, because it doesn't interfere with the spacebar.
    5. Tell Multi Action Home Button that you want the home button to launch your launcher

As long as you avoid tapping the original 'home' button, your launcher will stick "most" of the time. If you back out of an app and the original Firelauncher comes back, tap the corner of your screen to get your preferred launcher back.

No messing with ADB, no developer-signed binaries to mess with, 95% effective, minimal time looking at the fugly built-in launcher.
    It is not working on 5.1.4? :(

It works on all versions, including 5.1.4. In fact, this will work on ANY device with ANY operating system. If you have 5.1.4 why don't you just root?
    Code:
    adb shell pm disable-user com.amazon.firelauncher
    adb shell am start -n com.google.android.launcher/com.google.android.launcher.StubApp

Today I also got the chance to try this on a brand new Kindle Fire HD8 2018, but Google's Launcher kept complaining about not being default. I ended up installing Nova Launcher instead, and managed to make it work with the following:
    Code:
    adb shell pm disable-user com.amazon.firelauncher
    adb shell am start com.teslacoilsw.launcher

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    	then
    	fi
    done