TuT| Removing Apps from X10Mini/Pro + 'Safe List'

Search This thread

Phenombox

Jul 19, 2010
Denmark
www.codeclaw.info
Good evening! First of all thanks to Bin4ry and kabaldan for gaining (and sharing!) root access to this little, but powerful phone.

I'm sure that the first thing many users who have rooted their devices do is to remove all the bloatware they received with the X10Mini/Pro.

But.. Having said that I am raising a couple of questions which are written (but not limited to) below;
'How do I remove the stock applications I received with my X10Mini/Pro?'
'Which applications are safe to remove, and which are not?'
'Is it worth removing them at all? I never use them anyways.'
'Is it possible to restore them once I have removed them?'

Before answering any of these questions I would like to make it clear;
I know that guides to remove pre-installed apps exists, however - I am aiming to create (with the help of the community) a list of services/applications which are safe to remove, and a list of services/applications that are not for this specific device (X10Mini/Pro).

Also, before removing any pre-installed application it is a must that you have root access to your X10Mini/Pro, there are two methods of gaining root access:
Exploid method - by kabaldan
FOTA method - by bin4ry

After you have gained root access you can begin removing the pre-installed applications:

1. Open cmd (Command Prompt)
2. Navigate to the folder where you have extracted adb
3. Connect your phone in 'Charge' mode
4. Run the following commands (what they do is explained below):

This is used to enter the shell, duh.
Code:
adb shell
Getting root permissions.
Code:
su
Mounting the system 'block' to a read/write capable directory.
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock0 /system
Navigating to the applications directory.
Code:
cd /system/app
Listing all currently installed packages - applications/services.
Code:
ls
This is used for removing packages, where packagename is replaced by the application/service name you wish to remove (case sensitive! - write the packagename exactly as shown in the list).
Code:
rm -r packagename.apk
Important note: Removing critical/important services or applications might cause the device to freeze, application that were dependent on the removed service to crash and in worth case cause system failure.

"What's the deal with this topic.. There are many of these tutorials around..."
This is the part where this topic becomes unique - The 'Safe List' for X10Mini/Pro.

Applications/Services which are completely safe to remove:
<Under Construction>

Applications/Services which are partially safe to remove (removing these components may cause some features to not function and preventing other application from starting):
<Under Construction>

Applications/Services which are not safe to remove (removing these components may cause high freeze ratio and system failure):
<Under Construction>

These lists will be populated with the information that members of this community will share with us, I will contribute as well when I get deeper into slimming down the X10Mini/Pro.

If I have missed a topic which is identical to this one, I apologize - if there is no topic identical to this one I would like to motivate the users which have removed some pre-installed applications (from the X10Mini/Pro!) to report back here so we can populate the lists.

I have included a .zip full of pre-installed applications, note that some are already removed(games, roadsync, wisepilot), the .apks are taken directly from '/system/app' and these come from:
Model: E10i
Firmware: 1.6
Core: 2.6.29
Version: 1.1.A.0.8
Download .zip

Thank you for your time reading this topic,
Phenombox

Last edited:
Reactions: organic2

Phenombox

Jul 19, 2010
Denmark
www.codeclaw.info
After some app removal I've managed to strip down the list of installed applications. The phone still boots without problem and the remaining apps seems to be working without problems.

Link to list: Here

More information will be up

Last edited:
Reactions: organic2

pulpoff

Mar 8, 2007
After some app removal I've managed to strip down the list of installed applications. The phone still boots without problem and the remaining apps seems to be working without problems.

Is it possible already to replace the built-in dialer and sms-reader apps with those from Vanilla or HTC?
Would be interested doing that, I am especially annoyed by dialler switching off screen when I want to end call!!

Phenombox

Jul 19, 2010
Denmark
www.codeclaw.info
Is it possible already to replace the built-in dialer and sms-reader apps with those from Vanilla or HTC?
Would be interested doing that, I am especially annoyed by dialler switching off screen when I want to end call!!
You are not alone on this 'issue'.

If it's possible to unpack the Phone.apk and edit the /res/anim/glow.xml I think this would solve the issue.

If you are talking about replacing the default SMS Application, then I suggest you try out 3rd party SMS Application like 'Handscent SMS'. :)

Last edited:

Phenombox

Jul 19, 2010
Denmark
www.codeclaw.info
Will upgrading to android 2.1 be an option, now as we have root?
If someone ports it to the device, then yes..

I have extracted and tried to edit the Phone.apk's animations, even after repacking and signing the new Phone.apk my X10Mini won't take it.. It gives me 0 signal and if I try to make a call 'acore' crashes.

Last edited:

Darkbidule

Jun 21, 2010
Hi
I just would like to mentionned that we can uninstall app directly from the phone with titanium backup app. It's on the market and it's free. Before to uninstall, of course we can make a backup of the selected app.

dettofatto

May 29, 2006
Roma
So has anyone figured out how to remove the default lockscreen and homescreen? :)

Removed HomeScreen.apk, safe... Mod edit: ONLY if you have some other Launcher App.

Also:
Timescape (With error on boot)
Reloadsync
semec setup wizard
edge
wisepilot

Last edited by a moderator:

master9997

Jun 20, 2010
if you don't remove TimeScapeProvider.apk then there is no error on boot!. Removing timescape disables phonebook userprofile extrainfo button (that rotated eight right upper corner). but since i don't use it anyway there is no problem.

i removed neoreader.apk and replaced with better barcode scanner
Talk.apk is safe

Phenombox

Jul 19, 2010
Denmark
www.codeclaw.info
if you don't remove TimeScapeProvider.apk then there is no error on boot!. Removing timescape disables phonebook userprofile extrainfo button (that rotated eight right upper corner). but since i don't use it anyway there is no problem.

i removed neoreader.apk and replaced with better barcode scanner
Talk.apk is safe
¨¨

Seems like the TimeScape is phone-specific about the error on boot-up, cause removing TimeScapeProvider.apk fixed the error on my device.

ivawe

Jul 26, 2008
Now how many of you are tired of the blue background on all the windows? Can anyone post a tutorial on how this is changed?

profetonan

Jul 31, 2010
I've just deleted something i shouldn't. Is it possible t put apps back? if so, whats the command to use?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good evening! First of all thanks to Bin4ry and kabaldan for gaining (and sharing!) root access to this little, but powerful phone.

I'm sure that the first thing many users who have rooted their devices do is to remove all the bloatware they received with the X10Mini/Pro.

But.. Having said that I am raising a couple of questions which are written (but not limited to) below;
    'How do I remove the stock applications I received with my X10Mini/Pro?'
    'Which applications are safe to remove, and which are not?'
    'Is it worth removing them at all? I never use them anyways.'
    'Is it possible to restore them once I have removed them?'

Before answering any of these questions I would like to make it clear;
    I know that guides to remove pre-installed apps exists, however - I am aiming to create (with the help of the community) a list of services/applications which are safe to remove, and a list of services/applications that are not for this specific device (X10Mini/Pro).

Also, before removing any pre-installed application it is a must that you have root access to your X10Mini/Pro, there are two methods of gaining root access:
    Exploid method - by kabaldan
    FOTA method - by bin4ry

After you have gained root access you can begin removing the pre-installed applications:

1. Open cmd (Command Prompt)
    2. Navigate to the folder where you have extracted adb
    3. Connect your phone in 'Charge' mode
    4. Run the following commands (what they do is explained below):

This is used to enter the shell, duh.
    Code:
    adb shell
    Code:
    su
    Code:
    Navigating to the applications directory.
    Code:
    cd /system/app
    Listing all currently installed packages - applications/services.
    Code:
    ls
    This is used for removing packages, where packagename is replaced by the application/service name you wish to remove (case sensitive! - write the packagename exactly as shown in the list).
    Code:
    rm -r packagename.apk
    Important note: Removing critical/important services or applications might cause the device to freeze, application that were dependent on the removed service to crash and in worth case cause system failure.

"What's the deal with this topic.. There are many of these tutorials around..."
    This is the part where this topic becomes unique - The 'Safe List' for X10Mini/Pro.

Applications/Services which are completely safe to remove:
    <Under Construction>

Applications/Services which are partially safe to remove (removing these components may cause some features to not function and preventing other application from starting):
    <Under Construction>

Applications/Services which are not safe to remove (removing these components may cause high freeze ratio and system failure):
    <Under Construction>

These lists will be populated with the information that members of this community will share with us, I will contribute as well when I get deeper into slimming down the X10Mini/Pro.

If I have missed a topic which is identical to this one, I apologize - if there is no topic identical to this one I would like to motivate the users which have removed some pre-installed applications (from the X10Mini/Pro!) to report back here so we can populate the lists.

I have included a .zip full of pre-installed applications, note that some are already removed(games, roadsync, wisepilot), the .apks are taken directly from '/system/app' and these come from:
    Model: E10i
    Firmware: 1.6
    Core: 2.6.29
    Version: 1.1.A.0.8
    Download .zip

Thank you for your time reading this topic,
    Phenombox

What i did!!

The following APKs I uninstalled without issues. At least I didn't recognize any. Running without that APKs for a few days or maybe a week.
    • games:
      edge.apk, peggle.apk, rollercoaster.apk
    • social network crap:
      Facebook.apk, VZNet.apk
    • timescape:
      Timescape.apk, TimescapePluginManager.apk, TimeScapeProvider.apk, SnsContactImageCacheProvider.apk, uWlopProvider.apk
    • text to speech:
      PicoTts.apk, TtsService.apk
    • google services:
      Gmail.apk, GmailProvider.apk, Talk.apk, Maps.apk, Street.apk, GoogleSearch.apk, EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk
    • also google stuff?:
      GlobalSearch.apk, SearchWidget.apk
    • maybe self explaining:
      EManual.apk, user-support.apk, PcCompanion.apk, Wisepilot.apk, roadsync.apk, playnowclient.apk, TrackId.apk, geotag.apk, VoiceDialer.apk, YouTube.apk, DigitalClockWidget.apk
    • digital rights management (still have /system/bin/DxDrmServerIpc running):
      DrmProvider.apk
    • replaced with K-9:
      Email.apk
    • runs after first boot after changing SIM:
      ReadyToRun.apk
    • SIM tool kit:
      Stk.apk

Someone in this thread recommended uninstalling APKs instead of simply removing them. I second that.
    To do so move the APKs from /system/app to /data/app. After reboot you'll be able to uninstall them like with any third party app (Settings->Applications->...).

Thanks,
    micha.

P.S.:
    I attach my simple APK-moving script. Neat after SE-repair or for handling several APKs at once. Modify it, get it to /sdcard and use it like "sh /sdcard/expose-apps". And don't bother trying to move non-existing APKs, i.e. you can add to your initial list, if you prefer to uninstall the apps in several passes. After reboot that apps are "uninstall-able". When uninstalling, deleting cache and files at first might make a difference. I haven't kept an eye on it. (Calls /system/bin/busybox = requirement)

@ithilion, your script was great for a batch move from system/app to data/app.

First of all, thanks Phenombox for this guide, was extremely helpful to get rid of all SE's and Vodafones crapware. Running like a dream.

Second, i also agree with ithilion and dudelazy for the suggestion of uninstalling crapware apps rather than just deleting them.

For anyone who would like it, this is the way i did everything to remove the crapware, but i am not to sure if this rids all the residual data from those apps though.

Step 1. Get root!! (exploid method or universal androot - your choice).

Step 2. Take off any active widgets (just the ones you are going to remove e.g. Digital

Step 3. Go to settings\applications\manage applications and make a list of all of the crapware apps you want to remove. While you are going through and making this list, enter each of the apps on your list and clear data and cache. Now with this list, edit ithilion's "expose-apps" script to customize what apps you want to uninstall.

Step 4. Running ithilion's script to batch move from system/app to data/app.

Enter shell
    Code:
    adb shell
    Code:
    su
    Code:
    Run ithilion's script (I will try and upload my 'expose-apps' script for everyone out there and you can just edit mine to you liking if needed).
    Code:
    sh /sdcard/expose-apps

Step 5. Reboot device (not recommended to use a reboot widget, shutdown and then start up again. Depending on the number of apps or a certain app or too, start-up may take slightly longer than usual.

Step 6. Return to settings\applications\manage applications and use your list to now uninstall those apps.

Finished!!

Have fun with your "new" device.

I take no credit for any of this information I've posted, all credit goes to ithilion for his script, to dudelazy for the idea of uninstalling crapware apps, to Phenombox for this thread guide and to anyone else i may have taken information from.

Regard,
    Jeremy.
    @Facemeat
    I have a n00b question. Do you just delete the apk with Titanium or do you rename it? Does the corrosponding icon in the launcher menu "disappear" automatically?

/Henriette

Dude jst delete it....if you wanna backup that akp,then before del. backup it....And don't del. system files.!!!!
    hi i need UserSupport.apk and EManuel.apk, please
    thanks

Hey, just use flashtool to flash system only. Exclude all other partition and uncheck Wipe data and cache or you can extract the ftf file then the system.sin file using flashtool. After that use a tool called yaffey to extract out the apk you need. Yaffey Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1645412
    @EAGLEBOOY I can extract it for you if you have trouble, but give me time as I need to recover my Android Files from my laptop as the Windows Bootloader corrupted and I lost everything even though I attempted to use startup repair to repair my laptop.