[TUT] Speed up Wear OS (Settings and disabled system apps, e.g. Fossil and Misfit)

Search This thread

Cydras

Apr 20, 2011
Saarwellingen
Hello,
i own a Misfit Vapor 2 and my girlfriend haves an Fossil Q Venture HR Gen 4 Watch.
We have them now for 3 weeks and the OS was very slow to use. I've been looking for optimizations in many forums, but I've never found anything right, so i tryed to deactivate various system apps.
I summarize everything:

1. Speed up animations in developer options
-> Go to Settings - System - Info and tap 7 times on build-number
-> Go to Settings - Developer options and set all animations to 0,5

2. Uninstall unwanted apps:
-> Go to Settings - Apps & Notifications - App-Info and uninstall all unwanted apps

3. Deactivate system-apps:
-> Go to Settings - Apps & Notifications - App-Info - System-Apps and deactivate following apps:
(my watches are german, so i have german app names, i try to translate them)

- Analoge Elemete (English: Analog Elements?) - this is a google watchface. If you don't use them, deactivate it
- Anleitung zu Handgelenksbewegungen[ (English: Instructions for wrist movements?) - I Don't need to see again the instructions, so deativate it.
- com.Fossil.Charge.Ray / com.Fossil.Charge.FireFish - The unnecessary charge screen. When you charge now your watch, you see your watchface. Deactivate it
- Digitale Elemete (English: Digital Elements?) - this is a google watchface. If you don't use them, deactivate it
- E-label - This are the regulatory information for the watch in System - regulatory information. Don't need to see them, so deactivate it
- Fossil/Misfit - The built in Fossil/Misfit watchfaces. I have a watchface from play store, so i deactivated it. Important: On every reboot this app is activated again.
- ServiceTool - I don't know was this is, i think it is a Service Tool for the manufacturer. So deactivate it.
- Übersetzer (English: Translator?) - If you don't need a translator on your watch, deactivate it

4. I found out when you deactivate Zum aktivieren neigen (English: tend to activate?) in Settings - Movement, the watch runs also smoother.

5. Deactivate in Allgemein (English: General?) - Mediensteuerelemente automatisch starten (English: Start media controls automatically)

With this settings our watches runs a lot smoother than stock. Also the battery life is longer.
I hope i could help you with these attitudes and that the translations are correct.

Best Regards

Cydras

Last edited:

zabf

Aug 29, 2013
Cologne / Köln
Thx for the summary. I just did almost everything except step 5 and will see how it works out :)

In Step 4 the english translation Digital Elements is correct, but you still have copied "Analoge Elemente" from above. My Fossil Explorist doesn't show "com.Fossil.Charge.Ray" instead it's "com.Fossil.Charge.FireFish.", maybe because that's one difference between the male and female version? idk.

Reactions: Cydras and xodeus

Cydras

Apr 20, 2011
Saarwellingen
Thank you, i corrected it :)
Yes, with com.Fossil.Charge.FireFish it can be a difference from Explorist and Venture. My Misfit Vapor 2 is based on the Fossil Venture, we have both the same app names. I added it above :)

googleygoggles

Dec 9, 2013
OnePlus 8T
"4. I found out when you deactivate Zum aktivieren neigen (English: tend to activate?) in Settings - Movement, the watch runs also smoother."

In English it's actually called "Tilt-to-Wake and its under Settings -> Gestures
I don't know what #5 is though, and I can't seem to find anything that sounds like it but I'm using an Asus Zenwatch 3.

garce

Oct 29, 2017
Would this changes make google assistant start faster?
I have a fossil gen 4 sloan. When I long press the crown, it takes 2-3 seconds until it starts listening.

rodken

Jan 11, 2010
Hello,
i own a Misfit Vapor 2 and my girlfriend haves an Fossil Q Venture HR Gen 4 Watch.
We have them now for 3 weeks and the OS was very slow to use. I've been looking for optimizations in many forums, but I've never found anything right, so i tryed to deactivate various system apps.
I summarize everything:

-> Go to Settings - Apps & Notifications - App-Info and uninstall all unwanted apps

-> Go to Settings - Apps & Notifications - App-Info - System-Apps and deactivate following apps:

- Analoge Elemete (English: Analog Elements?) - this is a google watchface. If you don't use them, deactivate it
- Anleitung zu Handgelenksbewegungen[ (English: Instructions for wrist movements?) - I Don't need to see again the instructions, so deativate it.
- com.Fossil.Charge.Ray / com.Fossil.Charge.FireFish - The unnecessary charge screen. When you charge now your watch, you see your watchface. Deactivate it
- Digitale Elemete (English: Digital Elements?) - this is a google watchface. If you don't use them, deactivate it
- E-label - This are the regulatory information for the watch in System - regulatory information. Don't need to see them, so deactivate it
- Fossil/Misfit - The built in Fossil/Misfit watchfaces. I have a watchface from play store, so i deactivated it. Important: On every reboot this app is activated again.
- ServiceTool - I don't know was this is, i think it is a Service Tool for the manufacturer. So deactivate it.
- Übersetzer (English: Translator?) - If you don't need a translator on your watch, deactivate it

4. I found out when you deactivate Zum aktivieren neigen (English: tend to activate?) in Settings - Movement, the watch runs also smoother.

5. Deactivate in Allgemein (English: General?) - Mediensteuerelemente automatisch starten (English: Start media controls automatically)

With this settings our watches runs a lot smoother than stock. Also the battery life is longer.
I hope i could help you with these attitudes and that the translations are correct.

Best Regards

Cydras

I usually start the day at 6:10 am with 100%. It's 7:17 pm and I'm at 66% with heavy usage. Here's what I do:

essential digital watch face [that is a given]

always on screen

auto brightness off (usually set to 4 or 3 brightness)

sunlight boost off [if available]

tilt to wake on

touch to wake on

wrist gestures off

background heart rate on

WiFi off

sound off

NFC off

location on

OK Google detection off

I also implemented a simple charging strategy that will ensure maximum battery life all day. Before bed, while reading a book or whatever, take your watch off and let it charge. My Fossil Gen 5 has a quick charger so it only takes an hour from dead to get to full battery.

When you're ready for bed, put your watch back on [if you wear it to bed] and turn on airplane mode, and turn on theater mode. You'll only lose a few percent overnight, about 5% to 8%. While getting ready for work in the morning, put it back on the charger and by the time you're done, both you and the watch are ready for the day!

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

Would this changes make google assistant start faster?
I have a fossil gen 4 sloan. When I long press the crown, it takes 2-3 seconds until it starts listening.

Fossil Gen 5 and Sport watch did feel a lot snappier after I entered into the Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> App info -> System apps (all the way down) disable "com.fossil.charge.darter" and for the first time battery stats in Wear OS App seem to work properly and whatever minuscule battery drain seems to be gone for now.

This is an on-going study as I perform further tests on other system apps to disable.

garce

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks, My watch is a lot faster with these hacks plus the adb ones from a different post
I use watchmaker and that has an impact on responsiveness. Some faces more than others
Wow, your watch is certainly efficient. I am at around 66% at 8pm but with mild/infrequent usage (AOD)
I do not have tilt to wake or touch to wake on. Heart rate is off.
I can see the battery drain fast when I use it

rodken

Jan 11, 2010
Thanks, My watch is a lot faster with these hacks plus the adb ones from a different post
I use watchmaker and that has an impact on responsiveness. Some faces more than others
Wow, your watch is certainly efficient. I am at around 66% at 8pm but with mild/infrequent usage (AOD)
I do not have tilt to wake or touch to wake on. Heart rate is off.
I can see the battery drain fast when I use it

What upsets me about Watchmaker is you need other apps for weather to behave. Pujie Black [for me] is all there and does not guzzle battery doing it. Also all the nice little animations in transition are there (optionally) without the stress.
Just my personal observation.....

borijess

Jul 30, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
How do I disable these apps in the fossil explorist gen 4. I did the hack posted earlier but these apps still show up in storage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200728-135355__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20200728-135355__01.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 522

福山雅治

Oct 9, 2017
The problem with Android wear is in battery life and response time.
I'm glad this is being attempted because I think it would be a great watch that would work closely with Android apps if that were solved.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,
    I summarize everything:

Best Regards

Cydras
    Thx for the summary. I just did almost everything except step 5 and will see how it works out :)

In Step 4 the english translation Digital Elements is correct, but you still have copied "Analoge Elemente" from above. My Fossil Explorist doesn't show "com.Fossil.Charge.Ray" instead it's "com.Fossil.Charge.FireFish.", maybe because that's one difference between the male and female version? idk.
    How do I disable these apps in the fossil explorist gen 4. I did the hack posted earlier but these apps still show up in storage.

I believe that once you run the debloat, you also need to clear the cache in recovery as well. I cannot recall offhand, but I thought it had directions on how to do that as well.