[TUTO] HD2 Windows Phone 7 Developer Tools on XP

Tigrouzen

Oct 9, 2007
MARSEILLE
1 : Download and Install :
Zune
NetFx4
2 : Create vm_web folder on C: extract the contents of the setup Windows phone 7 tools (vm_web.exe) package with winrar to C:\vm_web\
3 : Go to the folder and open the file baseline.dat in notepad
4 : Look for the section named [gencomp7788]
5 : Change the value InstallOnLHS from 1 to 0
Change the value InstallOnWinXP from 1 to 0
Save and close baseline.dat
6 : CMD+R C:\vm_web\setup.exe /web

Wait wait wait...

aadd

Nov 18, 2010
Tehran
More simpler method below:

Originally posted here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=9916269&postcount=176

Hello everyone,
I want to simplify all those who want to install Windows Developer Phone Tools on Windows XP:

1) download the complete package at the official site
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=201927

2) extract the downloaded package to a folder

3) copy and overwrite the file attached to the folder where you extracted the package
http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=467731&d=1292709004

4) run the batch file Install ...
I have used this method couple of times and I confirm it working on XP except you can not run emulator, that is not required in our case either I guess.

The problem is that I still could not unlock WP7. It stucks at Chevron unlocker stage. The same problem has been reported by almost all users here. I haven't witnessed anyone unlocking WP7 through WIndows XP machine.

bazinga

Jul 31, 2010
Here's the way I got it to work,

I finally got it to install on XP!

Here's what I did,

Download the .iso file (it's at the bottom of the page) :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=04704acf-a63a-4f97-952c-8b51b34b00ce

After, make a new folder on your desktop and extract the ".iso" file into the folder.

Next, I grabbed the ".zip" file from here, : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=9618980&postcount=81

Take the baseline.dat from the .zip file and replace it in the one with the extracted .iso files. Then just run setup.exe from the file. It should work! But make sure you have about 3 gb free from your hard drive. And emulator doesn't work, but I'm sure its fine if your not a developer.

Remember to hit the thanks button if it worked for you! :D
But I still can not get chevron to work.

Reactions: andres1235

c_legaspi

Nov 25, 2008
i couldnt get chevron to work either on xp. i finally broke down and reloaded my vista and got it working. took me over two days to install vista and all the updates and service packs. i got an old slow computer.

aadd

Nov 18, 2010
Tehran
does the chevron executable even work on XP ?

u wouldnt want to use the SDK on XP if chevron doesnt :D
SDK is useful in a sense that it atleast makes Chevron open on a XP machine. Without SDK, you can not even open Chevron.
But once you click unlock in Chevron, it always gives you error whatever you do.

I personally had to install WIndows 7 Ultimate on my laptop and then the whole process was like of 20 minutes hardly. No problems faced. The tutorials posted are fantastic and makes your life easy.

Exploring unlocked and activated WP7 on HD2 :)

Reactions: ChriGothiMark

dcyougnin9

Mar 21, 2007
So we have to purchase Windows 7 and delete everything?

I do not have money to do this...I hope the devs find a way.

I LOVE windows phone even in the sad state mine is in. I have a Zune HD, and I haven't used it since WP7 came onto my HD2...If I could access the marketplace, I'd love it...guess I'll have to download it (windows 7) tonight...

hyellow

Oct 27, 2006
i had the chevron unlocker working with XP SP3. I'll try it again in a bit to verify it again. will let you all know.
I checked and double checked. My phone was already unlocked, so i performed a Re-lock.
Ofcourse, I couldn't get it unlocked again under XP. Having probs now as well with Win7. Scratching my head now. lol

Last edited:

jmhecker

Mar 25, 2009
Racine, WI
If I am reading this right, having the SDK installed on XP is beneficial regardless if Chevron works or not. This is how I see the events playing out:

1. Use a Wiindows 7 Machine to do the unlocking process with Chevron
  2. Use the XP machine to do the side-loading of applications.
Once the Chevron process is complete, there should be no need for a Windows 7 based machine, as the app loading will work fine from XP.

Am I correct with how I laid that out? I ask because my main workstation is an XP machine. I have 2 Windows 7 machines (my HTPC and my laptop are both Win7); the HTPC is buried under/behind the TV and does not have easily accessible USB ports, and the laptop has a small (17") screen and I can barely see what I am doing on it, which makes it a non-feasible option.

Now, if I were to use the laptop for a few minutes to do the unlocking with Chevron, I should (in theory) be able to perform all of the other options on my XP machine...I hop I am correct with that assumption, as it will be the best way for me to go about it.

aadd

Nov 18, 2010
Tehran
If I am reading this right, having the SDK installed on XP is beneficial regardless if Chevron works or not. This is how I see the events playing out:

1. Use a Wiindows 7 Machine to do the unlocking process with Chevron
  2. Use the XP machine to do the side-loading of applications.
Once the Chevron process is complete, there should be no need for a Windows 7 based machine, as the app loading will work fine from XP.

Am I correct with how I laid that out? I ask because my main workstation is an XP machine. I have 2 Windows 7 machines (my HTPC and my laptop are both Win7); the HTPC is buried under/behind the TV and does not have easily accessible USB ports, and the laptop has a small (17") screen and I can barely see what I am doing on it, which makes it a non-feasible option.

Now, if I were to use the laptop for a few minutes to do the unlocking with Chevron, I should (in theory) be able to perform all of the other options on my XP machine...I hop I am correct with that assumption, as it will be the best way for me to go about it.
You are absolutely right. This is what I was doing before I moved back to NAND Android.
Applications can be deployed from a Windows XP machine if tools are installed.