• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[TUTO] Root your Samsung Galaxy A5 on Android Lollipop 5.0.2

Search This thread

mygalaxya

Feb 24, 2015
Hi all!

Root your GALAXY A5 on Stock Lollipop 5.0.2

DISCLAIMER
Code:
#include 
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * The ROM is under developement and have some bugs.
 * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
 */

First of all, download the CF-Auto-Root image for your variant:

CF-Auto-Root - A500F

CF-Auto-Root - A500FU

CF-Auto-Root - A500G

CF-Auto-Root - A500H

CF-Auto-Root - A500M

CF-Auto-Root - A500L

CF-Auto-Root - A500S

CF-Auto-Root - A500Y

CF-Auto-Root - A500YZ

Follow this steps to Root your GALAXY A5.

1. Download your 5.0.2 ROM for your device.
2. Rename the ROM file, just delete .md5 at the end of the file.
3. After making that, normally you have a .tar file, open the ROM and you can see all files under.
4. Extract recovery.img and boot.img files from the .tar ROM and move this files on Internal or External storage of your phone, remember it's location, you'll need it after.
5. Flash CF-Auto-Root of 4.4.4 for your variant using Odin.
6. When the phone reboot, install Flashify from Play Store, grant SuperSU request.
7. Launch Flashify and flash the both boot.img and recovery.img that you extracted.

Reboot and enjoy your GALAXY A5 rooted. :D

After rooting your A5, you can install TWRP for installing custom ROMs etc...
Here is a TWRP installation Tutorial:

Last edited:

artack79

Apr 8, 2013
Rome
Did u flash poland 5.02 version from odin? I dont have any update from ota.

Inviato dal mio SM-A500FU utilizzando Tapatalk

droidqwerty

Jun 28, 2015
Yes, you can root 5.0.2. Do the cf auto root first. Once it boots, then you should have root. But it's not done yet. Do not reboot or turn off device as it won't be able to boot back yet. Go to play store and install flashify.
After that, extract the 5.0.2 firmware you flashed (rename and erase the .md5 extension at the end and you now have a .tar file, which can be extracted like a .zip or .rar.
Once extracted, get boot.img and recovery.img and copy them to your phone.
Then open flashify, locate those two images and flash them.
You should have root without any problem.

droidqwerty

Jun 28, 2015
First flash recovery.img. and renaming it wouldn't cause any harm. The file probably looks like this: something.tar.md5.
If you remove md5, then you have .tar file. Extract boot.img and recovery.img from it like you would from any .zip

Last edited:

omicronxda

Jul 9, 2013
Yes, you can root 5.0.2. Do the cf auto root first. Once it boots, then you should have root. But it's not done yet. Do not reboot or turn off device as it won't be able to boot back yet. Go to play store and install flashify.
After that, extract the 5.0.2 firmware you flashed (rename and erase the .md5 extension at the end and you now have a .tar file, which can be extracted like a .zip or .rar.

Hi, thanks for the info; I also have the same problem.

I would like to clarify your instructinos.
1) I have A500FU with lollipop 5.0.2 (which i downloaded and installed with odin)
2) I download cf auto root for 4.4.4?? is that right?
3) I extract boot.img/recovery.img from the 5.0.2 tar file
4) install flashify and flash the above.

Also you mentioned I need to do 3,4 without reboot, coz it wont boot. What will happen if it reboots by mistake? WIll it need a kies restore? or even just a 5.0.2 rom flash?

thanks alot

Reactions: mikeloury

droidqwerty

Jun 28, 2015
Hi, thanks for the info; I also have the same problem.

I would like to clarify your instructinos.
1) I have A500FU with lollipop 5.0.2 (which i downloaded and installed with odin)
2) I download cf auto root for 4.4.4?? is that right?
3) I extract boot.img/recovery.img from the 5.0.2 tar file
4) install flashify and flash the above.

Also you mentioned I need to do 3,4 without reboot, coz it wont boot. What will happen if it reboots by mistake? WIll it need a kies restore? or even just a 5.0.2 rom flash?

thanks alot

If it reboots by mistake, then it would be stuck in kernel logo and the screen would become whitish and remain like that. It's because CF root from 4.4.4 installs old kernel. If this happens, press volume down, home and power key together so that your device turns off.
Then enter download mode to reflash the rom with odin.

Last edited:
Reactions: mygalaxya

omicronxda

Jul 9, 2013
If it reboots by mistake, then it would be stuck in kernel logo and the screen would become whitish and remain like that. It's because CF root from 4.4.4 installs old kernel. If this happens, press volume down, home and power key together so that your device turns off.
Then enter download mode to reflash the rom with odin.
Great thank you. I will try it today or tomorrow.

Out of curiosity, what if I replace the recovery.img inside cf-auto-root with the new recovery.img from lollipop? Will that do the trick??

govind.madhu93

Mar 11, 2014
Kottayam
Galaxy A7

Hi
I have a galaxy A7. I followed the same method using the A7 CF auto root file for Kitkat 4.4.4. But after flashing, the device reboots. But it does not go to the android. Instead it stays on the screen which shows... SAMSUNG.. GALAXY A7... Any suggestions please??
If it boots into the home screen only i can flash the stock recovery file

Ley

Sep 26, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S9+

Thanks! It worked perfectly!

omicronxda

Jul 9, 2013

Tested and works on A3 and A5, thanks alot

droidqwerty

Jun 28, 2015
Hi
I have a galaxy A7. I followed the same method using the A7 CF auto root file for Kitkat 4.4.4. But after flashing, the device reboots. But it does not go to the android. Instead it stays on the screen which shows... SAMSUNG.. GALAXY A7... Any suggestions please??
If it boots into the home screen only i can flash the stock recovery file

Because you haven't flashed the boot.img and recovery.img from Lollipop after rooting.

Reactions: mygalaxya

govind.madhu93

Mar 11, 2014
Kottayam
No.. first i flashed cf auto root. Den phone reboots by itself.. it gets stuck on dsamsung screen. I cant go to the home screen at all. Without that how can i flash boot and recovery files ? Dats the peoblem

Sent from my SM-A700FD using XDA Free mobile app

mygalaxya

Feb 24, 2015
No.. first i flashed cf auto root. Den phone reboots by itself.. it gets stuck on dsamsung screen. I cant go to the home screen at all. Without that how can i flash boot and recovery files ? Dats the peoblem

So, you don't flashed the recovery.img and boot.img! After flash Cf-Auto-Root, Use Flashify and flash the boot.img + recovery.img from 5.0.2 Lollipop ROM.

govind.madhu93

Mar 11, 2014
Kottayam
I wl wxplain in detail. I took odin. Connected the phone. Den loaded up the auto root file. Clicked on start. So it starts flashing.. after the flashing is complete.. phone reboots itself... ryt ? Den it stays on the samsung screen. Stuck. I can use flashify only if i can boot up completely.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

In the first boot itself the phone gets stuck. It should boot into home screen. Then only i can use flashify.

mygalaxya

Feb 24, 2015
Now you have to reflash the stock ROM Lollipop for your A7 with Odin.

After flashed the ROM, flash the CF-Auto-Root package.

Don't reboot your device, otherwise same bootloop problem, when the device is bootup install "Flashify" from Play Store. Extract the boot.img and recovery.img from the 5.0.2 ROM.

Flash the boot.img and recovery.img from the Stock ROM with Flashify then restart your device and you have a fully functional root on your A7. ;)

This method has worked with my A5.

Last edited:
Reactions: govind.madhu93

govind.madhu93

Mar 11, 2014
Kottayam
Still not working

Than you for ur concern man.. But still it dos not work. After flashing cf auto root... I Just leave the phone. I do no touch it. It should boot into android. But it is not. It stays in d same screen.. Samsung... Galaxy A7

Maybe this works only for A3 and A5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all!

Root your GALAXY A5 on Stock Lollipop 5.0.2

DISCLAIMER
    Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * The ROM is under developement and have some bugs.
     * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
     */

First of all, download the CF-Auto-Root image for your variant:

CF-Auto-Root - A500F

CF-Auto-Root - A500FU

CF-Auto-Root - A500G

CF-Auto-Root - A500H

CF-Auto-Root - A500M

CF-Auto-Root - A500L

CF-Auto-Root - A500S

CF-Auto-Root - A500Y

CF-Auto-Root - A500YZ

Follow this steps to Root your GALAXY A5.

3. After making that, normally you have a .tar file, open the ROM and you can see all files under.
    4. Extract recovery.img and boot.img files from the .tar ROM and move this files on Internal or External storage of your phone, remember it's location, you'll need it after.
    5. Flash CF-Auto-Root of 4.4.4 for your variant using Odin.
    6. When the phone reboot, install Flashify from Play Store, grant SuperSU request.
    7. Launch Flashify and flash the both boot.img and recovery.img that you extracted.

Reboot and enjoy your GALAXY A5 rooted. :D

After rooting your A5, you can install TWRP for installing custom ROMs etc...
    Here is a TWRP installation Tutorial:
    How do you remove the Security Notice notification?

Try to flash your boot.img from stock, it's because Kingroot set SEAndroid to permissive
    Sorry for all the questions, I'm more clued up on S series. So I flash cf-autoroot via Odin even thou I'm running 5.0.2, then let it reboot recovery and work its magic, then reboot device, flash stock boot.img + stock recovery.img. then once done reboot again and flash twrp? Just making it clear that's all as its less than a day old on a 2 year contract.

Follow that steps exactly as:

3. After making that, you can open the ROM and see all files under.
    4. Extract recovery.img and boot.img from ROM and move this files on storage of your phone.
    5. Flash CF-Auto-Root of 4.4.4 via Odin.
    6. When the phone reboots, install Flashify from Play Store, grant SuperSU request.
    7. Launch Flashify and flash boot.img and recovery.img that you extracted.

Reboot and enjoy!*
    Phone info+ tell me that knox is 0×0 valid, see screenshot