[TUTO+VIDEO] Unlock Bootloader-Flash Recovery-Root-Restore Back the N7 FLO- KK 4.4.4

Search This thread

nuxbag

Aug 19, 2009
Sliver Spring, MD
Same here... I got the 5.0.1 update and a day or two later the Google screen. Can't get to recovery nor unlock via Wugsv1.99 or fast boot unlock... It just hangs on erasing userdata. I've watched a million videos and searched the web for 3 days and only find others who have the issue, nothing with anyone with a actual fix though. I even tried using the flash-all.bat file in the platform tools and still not working either. I'm pretty positive that usb debugging was off since it was stock. Thanks Google, I'm sure I'm out of warranty since I got it day one release. It's never been dropped, always in a case, never rooted and it gets bricked. I could have rooted and not had this issue, BONED BY GOOGLE indeed!
Do you have force flash selected in wugs

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

That doesn't work, it hangs at erasing userdata... And who else would I blame for a software update that bricked my tablet.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Because everyones tabs was not bricked. So could be caused by a special set of circumstances unique to your set up.

Mista513

Aug 18, 2011
Do you have force flash selected in wugs

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

Because everyones tabs was not bricked. So could be caused by a special set of circumstances unique to your set up.

Yes force flash is selected. And the only ppl I've heard of so far who's didn't get bricked was due to them having the bootloader unlocked.

Everyone who has posted who was 100% factory is stuck just like me. Unable to get the bootloader unlocked. This is one of the 5 post about this same issue I've found, all identical.

I don't want to argue about it, just find some resolution for me and all the others having this problem. My 2012 N7 is working fine and I'm sure it's because I did not update it from JB cause of the issue my 2013 is having.

nuxbag

Aug 19, 2009
Sliver Spring, MD
Yes force flash is selected. And the only ppl I've heard of so far who's didn't get bricked was due to them having the bootloader unlocked.

Everyone who has posted who was 100% factory is stuck just like me. Unable to get the bootloader unlocked. This is one of the 5 post about this same issue I've found, all identical.

I don't want to argue about it, just find some resolution for me and all the others having this problem. My 2012 N7 is working fine and I'm sure it's because I did not update it from JB cause of the issue my 2013 is having.

If you can get to fast boot mode then your good.use the soft brick mode. Other then that idk. There are around 4 million n7 out in the wild. I guess everybody that updated successfully was unlocked then. Call support they should help with update issues.

Last edited:

Mista513

Aug 18, 2011
If you can get to fast boot mode then your good.use the soft brick mode. Other then that idk. There are around 4 million n7 out in the wild. I guess everybody that updated successfully was unlocked then. Call support they should help with update issues.

Those other users manually updated, issue is even though you can fast boot you can't unlock the tablet to flash anything. It freezes at erasing userdata. And support won't do anything but charge you to replace the tablet motherboard. Using the soft brick mode doesn't work, nor fastboot oem unlock. Believe me I've tried everything as well as probably the other hundreds affected by this same issue.

nuxbag

Aug 19, 2009
Sliver Spring, MD
Those other users manually updated, issue is even though you can fast boot you can't unlock the tablet to flash anything. It freezes at erasing userdata. And support won't do anything but charge you to replace the tablet motherboard. Using the soft brick mode doesn't work, nor fastboot oem unlock. Believe me I've tried everything as well as probably the other hundreds affected by this same issue.

See if they can help,,,,http://www.brickedmyphone.com/products/jtag-unbrick-service/

If not do you want to sell it?

snoboarder071

May 27, 2011
Milwaukee
Unlocked Bootloader, TWRP Recovery and now Rooted. Took me awhile, was stuck at 'fastboot oem unlock' waiting for device! found that my nexus drivers were not installing, had to direct path from Device Manager Windows 7 'Android' to google usb drivers. I found my solution on a youtube comment.

Cheers mate :)

For those with the "waiting for device" issue, here is the link explaining how to properly set up your drivers

sfreemanoh

Oct 20, 2008
I'm using the same method to flash the 5.0.2 factory image, but every time I do, it reboots, and gets stuck on the boot screen. I've let it sit for 15-20 minutes already, a couple times. Any ideas?

SnowDaddyO

Sep 17, 2009
Can someone confirm if they were able to use this method to root a N7 2013 running stock 5.0.2 using this method?

joshjovovich

Feb 10, 2015
Bricked My Nexus 7 (2013)

Hello,

I finally decided to go ahead and root my Nexus 7 last night. After I unlocked the bootloader I went to install TWRP as my custom recovery. After I flashed TWRP it got stuck in a boot loop. If I try to go into recovery mode or power it on it goes to the TeamWin logo and keeps flashing that. I'm pretty sure I flashed the wrong recovery image. Also worth noting is it's running 5.0.2 and when I connect it to the computer it doesn't recognize the tablet being there. This is my first time rooting. I am really worried that it is bricked forever. Thanks everyone

joshjovovich

Feb 10, 2015
@joshjovovich
When you boot it to the bootloader is it still not recognized by Your computer?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, my computer does not recognize it being there. The tablet does accept charge from the USB port but other than that nothing.

I downloaded the stock recovery image for 5.0.2 and the file size was around 500mb. Well the TWRP recovery I flashed was only in the realm of 10mb. I know it is the wrong one but why is there such a difference in size between the two? :confused: I'm pretty sure the recovery image I flashed was for 4.4.4 and thats where I messed up. Went to fast and didn't pay attention. :p

EDIT: I went into the Control Panel on my computer and looked under devices. There I found under the category "Unspecified" An object labeled Android. Upon clicking on it it is called "Nexus Bootloader Interface" and says that the manufacturer is ClockWorkMod, But I haven't flashed anything that is CWM. All I have flashed is the wrong TWRP recovery image. Maybe this info will help a little more.

Last edited:

z_extend_99

Jun 27, 2012
As far as I can remember, the recovery.img from the whole 5.0.2 image was just around 7-8mb. The whole factory image has the size of 500mb.

May you do a "fastboot devices" command in command prompt/terminal (assuming you do it within the PWD of the Android platform tools folder)?

joshjovovich

Feb 10, 2015
As far as I can remember, the recovery.img from the whole 5.0.2 image was just around 7-8mb. The whole factory image has the size of 500mb.

May you do a "fastboot devices" command in command prompt/terminal (assuming you do it within the PWD of the Android platform tools folder)?

You are right. The while factory image is 500mb, I just didn't open the archive with 7zip. Inside was the boot loader and recovery. I used the command "adb devices" in command prompt and it showed a blank line. I just tried to flash it anyway and it worked! It booted up just fine. Very relieved :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

Feb 24, 2015
Hey, I'm having issues with this root. When I try to run adb reboot bootloader, I receive an error that no device is detected. I have USB debugging enabled, and the device is obviously connected via USB. What do I do?

EDIT: Found it, was missing a driver specific to Android and not Nexus.

Last edited:

Shahshiminator

Aug 16, 2014
Any way I can root the deb variant of the Nexus 7 (2013) on Lollipop? Mine's the one with LTE. Any help will be much appreciated! ?

yosmokinman

Sep 30, 2012
^You can use cf auto root. If you run the batch file it'll wipe your device (if you're not already unlocked). Easiest to just pull the .img file out of the zip you download, put it in your fastboot folder and run: fastboot boot imagename.img

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This tutorial All In One is for all owners of the NEW NEXUS 7 FLO (2013 Edition). I've tried to be clear, helpful and simple ;)

....-ox=O=xo-....
    POST #1 => [TUTO + VIDEO] AIO Unlock Bootloader, Flash Recovery (TWRP) and Root your Nexus 7 FLO​

....-ox=O=xo-....
    POST #2 =>[TUTORIAL]Download Factory Images Nexus 7 FLO - Restore back STOCK with latest KK 4.4.4
    ....-ox=O=xo-....
    POST #3 => [HOW TO] FLASH MORE FASTER WHEN YOU USE FASTBOOT LINE COMMAND

....-ox=O=xo-....
    Warning!
    This guide and its guidelines are meant only and only for the new Nexus 7 "FLO" (2013).
    Do not attempt to try this on the older Nexus 7 or any other device.
    Applying this to any other variant might brick the device.
    Read and understand the instructions carefully before proceeding any further.
    ....-ox=O=xo-....
    THIS GUIDE IS ONLY FOR WINDOWS
    1) This point is really important. You’re going to lose all your datas on the device including the internal storage. So back everything up.

2) Download and Install 7zip or any other archive manager as WinRAR etc...

3) Download and install Android SDK

OR

3Bis)Download The ADB and Fastboot Tools in the same Tool ==> platform-tools.zip - md5: 15e771613370afe3c70e0be1454d2ef1 - size: 346.8KB

4) Put these 3 files in where your fastboot folder is installed; ex => => disk C: root
    Unzipped this file on the folder "platform-tools" and you will find 11 files:
    - aapt
    - adb
    - AdbWinApi.dll
    - AdbWinUsbApi.dll
    - aidl
    - dexdump
    - llvm-rs-cc
    - fastboot
    - dx
    - NOTICE
    - source.properties

5) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the tablet to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it.
    { Press Menu =>> Settings =>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option then check the USB Debugging Mode.}
    If you don’t see the Development Options, you'll need to open the Settings app and scroll down to the bottom. Once you get there, tap “About Phone”. Scroll to the bottom again, until you see the Build Number entry.
    Now tap Build Number a total of seven times. You'll see friendly developer messages starting with the fourth tap. After the seventh, you'll see a message congratulating you for unlocking Developer Options. “Now you are a developer".

6) At least 70% battery power to avoid uncertain shutdowns during the process.

7) The tutorial is compatible only with the Nexus 7 wifi (2013) FLO.

....-ox=O=xo-....

Process to unlock bootloader of your Nexus 7 FLO
    -1: Connect the Nexus 7 to the computer using USB cable.

-2: Open a Command Prompt window and type the following command to reboot the device into booltoader mode:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    -3: Type the following command to lauch the unlock process:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    -4: You will now be prompted with a dialogue to confirm the process, go through it.
    Use the Volume buttons to highlight Yes and select it using the Power button

-5: The tablet will go back to the bootloader screen. Press Power button to select Start to reboot into the unlock device

Before to install the TWRP recovery and applying the root, you need to download the latest version of the TWRP recovery and the latest version of SUPER-SU that you need to push to the root of your sd card - For downloading these files follow the links below ;)
    ....-ox=O=xo-....

Process to install TWRP recovery on your Nexus 7 FLO
    -1: Download the latest TWRP recovery image file
    Download link- TWRP

-2: Open the folder where the recovery image file has been downloaded and rename your recovery "recovery-twrp" simply. Re-open your previous Command Prompt window.

-3: Type the following command to flash the recovery image file
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp.img
    -4: The recovery will be flashed and the progress could be observed in the CMD window itself.

Note: To boot the Nexus tablet into Recovery, press the Volume keys (up/down) until Recovery Mode is displayed. Use the Power button to select it and the device will reboot into the TWRP recovery Mode.

....-ox=O=xo-....

Process to root your Nexus 7 FLO - Update
    -1: Download the SuperSU root package for Nexus 7
    or you can use Download link: CF-Auto-Root-flo-razor-nexus7.zip

Explanations for understand why you must use CF-Auto Root => Go to read here the Central Post

-2: Download the ZIP file (see the link above) and Extract the ZIP file

-3: Connect the tablet to your PC using USB cable.

-4:Boot your device in bootloader/fastboot mode. Usually this can be done by turning your device off, then holding VolDown+Power to turn it on.

-5:Connect your device to your computer using USB

-6: Open a new CMD window and type the following command:
    For Windows
    Code:
    root-windows.bat
    For Linux
    Code:
    chmod +x root-linux.sh
    root-linux.sh
    For Mac OS X
    Code:
    chmod +x root-mac.sh
    root-mac.sh
    Follow the on-screen instructions - watch both the computer and the device !

Note that if your device had not been unlocked before, this procedure will wipe all your datas !

And if you have some problem with the process, go to see
    HERE

Now your Nexus 7 FLO running on Android 4.4.4. KitKat should have be rooted with latest TWRP recovery installed and bootloader unlocked. :victory: :good: :cool:

If you need more help, following my OP and this video from @clozecall

....-ox=O=xo-....

vvg7.png
    ISSUES
    vvg7.png
    If you have some problem after to flash the recovery, and you stay stuck on during 5mn + You need to wipe data and factory reset on settings and normally all should be work perfectly after
    ....-ox=O=xo-....

Thanks to @clozecall for his video
    and all members for their help ;)

And don't forget to RATE FOR THIS THREAD -
    ratef.png
    if it's helped you
    "Thanks in advance ;)
    [TUTORIAL]Download Factory Images Nexus 7 FLO - Restore back STOCK

[TUTORIAL]Download Factory Images Nexus 7 FLO - Restore back STOCK - With latest version KitKat 4.4.4

Find your Factory image for your N7 FLO - KitKat KTU84P - Download Link - - is very useful if you need to restore back your device to Stock after any modification you’ve made. If you have rooted your N7 Flo, unlocked its bootloader, installed custom recovery and roms and finally you want decided to getting back to official firmware and then to get or accept future OTA updates again. It’s the best way to restore back your device to Stock.

Coming back to stock is also useful if you have some bugs (for fixing it), Bootloop, stuck in boot screen logo and freeeeezzziiiinnnngggg, etc....
    But before to going back to stock, you need to read completly the tutorial and need to know
    Your bootloader will be “LOCKED or UNLOCKED” when you want.

1 - Where I can can find the right Factory Image for my Nexus 7 Flo and which files I need for proceed ?
    But first download and install the necessary files prior to execute this properly. Download the full factory image corresponding to your exact mode which includes the full system, bootloader, recovery, kernel (boot.img).
    Unpack the TGZ Version (tar/gz) or Zip Version Archive into its own directory. I use 7-Zip, but you can use any tool that reads gz and tar.

qose.png

1. Factory Images "razor" for Nexus 7 [2013] (Wi-Fi) - 4.4.4 (KTU84P) - Download link

If you have already installed those files, just check theirs.
    2. Java Runtime Environment.
    3. Android SDK | Android Developers.
    4. Platform tools
    5. Fastboot files

2 - PREREQUISITES
    First make sure that your battery is fully charge 100% and BACKUP ALL YOUR PERSONNEL DATA

[1] - Make sure you have USB debugging turned on. For security purposes, you can turn it off after we're done

[2] - Plug-in USB cable and If you are booted into Android, open a command prompt to your ADB and Fastboot directory,

[3] - In case you are not unlock, you need to unlock your bootloader, enter the following commands:
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    If your tablet hasn't already rebooted automatically, type:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    NOW WE ARE READY FOR PROCEED TO RETURN STOCK

3 - RUNNING FACTORY IMAGE

If you want to keep your data intact, don't skip this step, (if you do your data will be wiped :( )

With your text editor (for me it's Notepad ++,
    [1] - Edit (be careful not to run it by accident instead of editing)
    [2] - flash-all.bat (if you're on Windows)
    [2a] - flash-all.sh (Mac, Linux)
    [2b] - and remove "-w" from the fastboot update command

For example, if the line reads fastboot -w update image-razor-ktu84p.zip, it should now read: fastboot update image-razor-ktu84p.zip. The -w option instructs fastboot to wipe data.
    [3] - Reboot into the bootloader and run the appropriate flash-all script:
    Code:
    flash-all.bat
    4wii.png

Done, your Nexus 7 Flo is now coming back and running Stock Android KK 4.4.4

uqpv.png

In Case you want to come back completely to Stock, for warranty or security purpouses, you need to re-lock your bootloader now.
    Enter the following commands
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock
    If your tablet hasn't already rebooted automatically, type:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    Done!

And don't forget to RATE FOR THIS THREAD -
    ratef.png
    if it's helped you and eventually click to "Newsworthy Thread? "Thanks in advance ;)
    Thanks philos64. My problem now is that I couldn't even boot into the OS, I can get into Bootloader mode or Recovery mode, but I couldn't factory reset (says "failed") or boot pass the Nexus screen. (stuck there for more than 15 minutes).

I'm sort of a noob, any help will be appreciated.

this just happened to me. I fixed it by:

1. go into recovery and FORMAT DATA in the wipe menu

2. then FACTORY RESET

3. restart to os

i didnt need to download the system.img like the above link
    What exactly is "FLO"?

Is this different from my Nexus 7 Full HD (2013) or it's the same thing?

From the cyanogen site it implies that "flo" is basically the same thing but I'd like to be sure:

"Codename: flo"

?

Flo is the WiFi only version of the nexus 7 2013. There is also deb which is the WiFi and cellular version of the nexus 7 2013.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk