• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Tutorial] 8227L units - How to recover from a brick

Search This thread

threadreaper

Aug 19, 2020
So you followed a bad tutorial, or lost power during a flash, or formatted your unit for some reason and now you have a unit that seems mostly unresponsive. All hope may not be lost. You do have a backup, right??

If you don't have your own backup, you may be able to find one online somewhere that will work, but be aware that not all 8227L units are the same, and not every ROM dump you find online is going to work. At any rate, the issue is beyond the scope of this tutorial, so we'll proceed assuming you either have your own backup or have located a compatible one. I'm also going to assume that you have SP-Flashtool and have been able to use it, as it's fairly hard to end up with a bricked unit without using SP-Flashtool to begin with.

There are two different types of backup that can be relied on in this situation. The first, and probably more reliable backup format is a ROM dump from SP-Flashtool, consisting of 3 files, BOOT_1, BOOT_2, and EMMC_USER. They may be named something different. If SP-Flashtool's automatically suggested names were used, they could be named ROM_0, ROM_1 and ROM_2, in which case you'll need to pay attention to the file sizes. The other type is a group of many files, containing backups of the individual partitions, usually named boot.img, recovery.img, system.img, userdata.img, etc. In either case, you will also require a suitable scatter file, which you should have with your backup.

You're going to need to access the "test point" on your unit in order to flash your backup if you have flashed the wrong pre-loader or formatted the pre-loader partition. There is a chunk of read-only memory on the board containing the factory preloader, and that's what we'll be accessing to pull this off.

For information on disassembling your unit and accessing the test point, see my tutorial here on unlocking the bootloader.

Determine the process for reloading your backup based on the type of backup that you have and the state your system is in by reading the Getting Prepared section. The Flashing section will explain how to actually start the flashing process. It's important that you don't skip ahead! Ensure you've prepared everything correctly!

Getting prepared:

Remove all external power from the unit, and prepare SP-Flashtool with your scatter file and backup files. Do not connect the USB cable yet. If you are using system.img, userdata.img, recovery.img etc, make sure all the paths to the files are correct on the Download tab. As long as you have not attempted to modify the partition file, you can flash in Download Only mode, and you're good to go. If you have attempted to modify the partition table, the most reliable way to ensure that your backup loads correctly is to flash only your preloader first on the first pass, and then do another pass in Format All + Download mode with all of your files selected. After your preloader is restored, you should not need to use the test point for the second pass.

If your backup is a ROM dump, and you have a BOOT_1, BOOT_2, and EMMC_USER backup file, then you will need to use the "advanced mode" in SP-Flashtool to restore. While in SP-Flashtool, press Ctrl + Alt + v to enable advanced mode. Then from the Window menu at the top, check the box for Write Memory, and switch to the newly opened Write Memory tab. For the file path entry, browse or type the path to your BOOT_1 backup. Set the Begin Address to 0x0. After flashing BOOT_1, you will need to repeat the flashing process for BOOT_2 and EMMC_USER, but once BOOT_1 is flashed, your preloader is restored and you should not need to use the test point to restore the other files.

Flashing:

At this point, you should have SP-Flashtool prepared with your backup files and the unit should be disconnected from power and USB. In the next step you'll need to have the test point shorted as you plug the USB in, and remove the short when the tool connects to the factory preloader so get prepared to do that. If you're in the Download tab at this point, click the Download button, if you're in Write Memory mode, click the Write Memory button. SP-Flashtool will start looking for a device. Plug in your USB cable with the test point shorted on your board. Once SP-Flashtool recognizes the device, you usually need to give it a couple of seconds to initialize the connection before you remove the short. You may have to try a few times to get the timing right. If you remove the short too quickly or hold it in place for too long, the connection will fail and you'll need to try again. Once you get it right, it should begin flashing as normal. If you're only flashing your preloader on the first pass, you should not need to use the testpoint to get SP-Flashtool to recognize your device on subsequent passes. Finish reloading all of your backup files and you're done! You should have a functional device!

ExtremeMOD

Aug 14, 2020
London
extrememod.co.uk
Very good information here. I've been reading a lot on these forums and it is safe to say that majority of people accidentally bricked their devices without having a backup but also Windows not installing MediaTek drivers properly.

threadreaper

Aug 19, 2020
Very good information here. I've been reading a lot on these forums and it is safe to say that majority of people accidentally bricked their devices without having a backup but also Windows not installing MediaTek drivers properly.

I'm a Linux user, so I'm not really a good person to ask about the Windows drivers... the best solution I can offer is, "Throw it out, install Linux," lol. Unfortunately a lot of useful and arguably required utilities for working with these units are Windows-only, so I'm working on developing a suite of cross-platform applications to replace them.

ExtremeMOD

Aug 14, 2020
London
extrememod.co.uk
So I dismantled my bricked 8227L unit (accidentally formatted the Flash ROM with SP FLash Tools, but reckon the factory preloader is still there?) and before soldering the test points I wanted to ask couple of n00b questions:

1. When my unit is completely shut down (power disconnected), I insert the 4-pin USB cable and then connect it with my Win10 laptop through USB 2.0 but nothing happens. Nothing pops up, no new hardware detected. I have the latest MediaTek drivers installed. I also tried to insert a USB stick to the head unit just to see if there is any power or reading going on when the unit is on, and there is absolutely nothing. Can this mean my USB on the head unit is faulty?

2. Tried to look at pictures and look online how you actually "short" the test points. Some suggest just to put some solder on the golden plates, you say to connect one wire - but what do you do with the wire when connecting laptop to head unit through USB? Is that wire supposed to touch any other "golden plates"?

Thanks

amit_coolcampus

Mar 30, 2013
Delhi
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I am so delighted to see someone hitting on the hot iron. Looking forward to the detailed tutorial to take backup, unlock bootloader, customize my radio.

I do have the scatter file to flash twrp but as I mentioned on other post that my radio is not detected in Sp flash tools when its off.
When I reboot it, it then gets detected for 2 seconds. I remember I did not remove the power cable may be this is why it's not fully powered off?

I'll try to remove the cable and check if it's get detected.
And then I will firstly start with the backup to stock rom just to be on safe side.

Just a noob question. Is stock backup possible before unlocking the bootloader?

amit_coolcampus

Mar 30, 2013
Delhi
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I tried the test point and write memory, but I am getting an error. Attached is the screenshot.

So you followed a bad tutorial, or lost power during a flash, or formatted your unit for some reason and now you have a unit that seems mostly unresponsive. All hope may not be lost. You do have a backup, right??

If you don't have your own backup, you may be able to find one online somewhere that will work, but be aware that not all 8227L units are the same, and not every ROM dump you find online is going to work. At any rate, the issue is beyond the scope of this tutorial, so we'll proceed assuming you either have your own backup or have located a compatible one. I'm also going to assume that you have SP-Flashtool and have been able to use it, as it's fairly hard to end up with a bricked unit without using SP-Flashtool to begin with.

There are two different types of backup that can be relied on in this situation. The first, and probably more reliable backup format is a ROM dump from SP-Flashtool, consisting of 3 files, BOOT_1, BOOT_2, and EMMC_USER. They may be named something different. If SP-Flashtool's automatically suggested names were used, they could be named ROM_0, ROM_1 and ROM_2, in which case you'll need to pay attention to the file sizes. The other type is a group of many files, containing backups of the individual partitions, usually named boot.img, recovery.img, system.img, userdata.img, etc. In either case, you will also require a suitable scatter file, which you should have with your backup.

You're going to need to access the "test point" on your unit in order to flash your backup if you have flashed the wrong pre-loader or formatted the pre-loader partition. There is a chunk of read-only memory on the board containing the factory preloader, and that's what we'll be accessing to pull this off.

For information on disassembling your unit and accessing the test point, see my tutorial here on unlocking the bootloader.

Determine the process for reloading your backup based on the type of backup that you have and the state your system is in by reading the Getting Prepared section. The Flashing section will explain how to actually start the flashing process. It's important that you don't skip ahead! Ensure you've prepared everything correctly!

Getting prepared:

Remove all external power from the unit, and prepare SP-Flashtool with your scatter file and backup files. Do not connect the USB cable yet. If you are using system.img, userdata.img, recovery.img etc, make sure all the paths to the files are correct on the Download tab. As long as you have not attempted to modify the partition file, you can flash in Download Only mode, and you're good to go. If you have attempted to modify the partition table, the most reliable way to ensure that your backup loads correctly is to flash only your preloader first on the first pass, and then do another pass in Format All + Download mode with all of your files selected. After your preloader is restored, you should not need to use the test point for the second pass.

If your backup is a ROM dump, and you have a BOOT_1, BOOT_2, and EMMC_USER backup file, then you will need to use the "advanced mode" in SP-Flashtool to restore. While in SP-Flashtool, press Ctrl + Alt + v to enable advanced mode. Then from the Window menu at the top, check the box for Write Memory, and switch to the newly opened Write Memory tab. For the file path entry, browse or type the path to your BOOT_1 backup. Set the Begin Address to 0x0. After flashing BOOT_1, you will need to repeat the flashing process for BOOT_2 and EMMC_USER, but once BOOT_1 is flashed, your preloader is restored and you should not need to use the test point to restore the other files.

Flashing:

At this point, you should have SP-Flashtool prepared with your backup files and the unit should be disconnected from power and USB. In the next step you'll need to have the test point shorted as you plug the USB in, and remove the short when the tool connects to the factory preloader so get prepared to do that. If you're in the Download tab at this point, click the Download button, if you're in Write Memory mode, click the Write Memory button. SP-Flashtool will start looking for a device. Plug in your USB cable with the test point shorted on your board. Once SP-Flashtool recognizes the device, you usually need to give it a couple of seconds to initialize the connection before you remove the short. You may have to try a few times to get the timing right. If you remove the short too quickly or hold it in place for too long, the connection will fail and you'll need to try again. Once you get it right, it should begin flashing as normal. If you're only flashing your preloader on the first pass, you should not need to use the testpoint to get SP-Flashtool to recognize your device on subsequent passes. Finish reloading all of your backup files and you're done! You should have a functional device!

amit_coolcampus

Mar 30, 2013
Delhi
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I tried the test point and write memory, but I am getting an error. Attached is the screenshot.

Can you please look into it.
To be more precise:

1. I was able to restore my preloader from the EMMC_BOOT_1 backup.
2. Now I can see my device in device manager as well as in SP flash tools.
3. I tried to use "Formal all + Download" and "Firmware upgrade". With EMMC_user partition write memory. Both times I get the attached error.
4. I was able to restore EMMC_User . Itvgets completed successfully but radio doesn't boot up. Only black screen.
5. I also tried to download a few Firmwares and flash them but I get the same error. Even in download mode.

Error: S_FT_ENABLE_DRAM_FAIL (4032)
[EMI] Enable DRAM Failed!
[Hint]:
Please check your load matches to your target which is to be downloaded.

So precisely, I am able to flash only stock backed up ROM and that too in download mode.

Attachments

• 20201009_052814.jpg
    20201009_052814.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 141

aryanhington

Aug 21, 2020

Getting prepared:

Flashing:

does the sgpt/pgpt partitions (the partition tables) need to be flashed?

Smarty_009

Feb 7, 2016
I searched many forums but still feel lost. Can someone tell me how to create backup of my existing stock ROM without rooting it and unlocking bootloader.

I read there can be two types of backup. Is there any way to backup my stock ROM from adb or fastboot mode also?

Smarty_009

Feb 7, 2016

Getting prepared:

Flashing:

Hi I have made a video tutorial on how to make stock ROM backup using information from this forum. Hope it's helpful for everyone.

Smarty_009

Feb 7, 2016
Hi friends,
Have you are observed overheating of touch panel of your car stereo or hangs in your Android car stereo or system not responding or application keep crashing etc.

Then this video is for you. I have done this small modification in my car.

I made a small hole on sides of AC vents such that cool air blows over the heat sink of Android car stereo and two cpu fans of 12V take power supply from same connector.

Whenever the car stereo is turned ON the fans also turn ON and blow cool air over the heat sink to keep it cool.

Smarty_009

Feb 7, 2016
Hi I have made a updated video tutorial with added info on how to make stock ROM backup.

[UPDATE][ROM Dump] Stock ROM backup of Android Car Stereo | Memory Dump Procedure via flashtool

erhanakt

Feb 3, 2007
Can you please look into it.
To be more precise:

1. I was able to restore my preloader from the EMMC_BOOT_1 backup.
2. Now I can see my device in device manager as well as in SP flash tools.
3. I tried to use "Formal all + Download" and "Firmware upgrade". With EMMC_user partition write memory. Both times I get the attached error.
4. I was able to restore EMMC_User . Itvgets completed successfully but radio doesn't boot up. Only black screen.
5. I also tried to download a few Firmwares and flash them but I get the same error. Even in download mode.

Error: S_FT_ENABLE_DRAM_FAIL (4032)
[EMI] Enable DRAM Failed!
[Hint]:
Please check your load matches to your target which is to be downloaded.

So precisely, I am able to flash only stock backed up ROM and that too in download mode.
How did your computer see it again? I can't do it.

reep28

Jun 10, 2018
The sp flash tools cant read my device, ive press the down button, the up button but still it doesnt detected.
Is it because ive load a different scattered file or not suitable file?
Can you give me a hint?
Ive just brick my device because flash wrong file and i dont have any backup.
Please help me, thanks in advance.

Getting prepared:

Flashing:

Attachments

• IMG-20210706-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210706-WA0001.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 16255612261253431981793872374698.jpg
    16255612261253431981793872374698.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 39

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Getting prepared:

Flashing: