• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[TUTORIAL] [Android 5.0] How to pair a PS3 Controller with your phone

Search This thread

SpawnSiviu

Jan 19, 2010
Madrid
Hy all! After a few days of searching with no luck and trying to connect a PS3 Controller to my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N9005) I finally managed to get them to work together!
My phone is ROOTED but I'm 100% sure it will work for NON ROOTED phones!
This technique works on my Note 3 but not sure about other makes or models!
So ... what do you need.
1. Your phone with Android 5.0; with the new 5.0 update the Sixaxis Controller app is obsolete and doesn't work anymore, but the sistem is able to detect the controller on it's own.
2. PS3 Controller fully charged;
3. PS3 Controller charging cable;
4. Bluetooth mouse; it might be posible to work with other bluetooth devices like bluetooth keyboard.
5. PC to connect the controller. No program needs to be installed on the PC, but it is recommended to have the DS3 and TapJoy drivers installed.

Now ... how do we pair the phone with the controller.
1. Turn phone bluetooth ON;
2. Make sure the bluetooth mouse/keyboard is not paired with your phone.
2.1 If you have a paired mouse/keyboard connect it to your phone;
2.2 When connected go to Settings >Bluetooth >Paired Devices and unpair the mouse/keyboard and press the connect button on the mouse to erase the phone from it's memory;
3. Turn the phone's bluetooth OFF and restart your phone;
4. Press the PS3 Controller reset button;
4.1 After the phone restarts turn bluetooth ON and try pairing the controller using the 0000 pin. No luck, don't worry!
5. Pair the mouse/keyboard with your phone;
5.1 After the connection is successful turn OFF the mouse/keyboard, NOT THE PHONE BLUETOOTH.
6. Press the PlayStation button on the controller;
6.1 Now the controller LED's will blink for about 3-4 seconds;
7. Connect the controller to your PC using the charging cable;
8. After about 2 minutes remove the charging cable from your controller;
8.1.1 Now the LED's blink and the phone asks you for a pin to pair with the controller;
8.1.2 Imput 0000 pin and press OK;
8.1.3 You will get PLAYSTATION(3) Controller - Connected to impit device.
8.2.1 If the LED's still blink for 3-4 seconds connect the controller bac to the PC;
8.2.2 Keep pressed the PlayStation button on your controller and remove the charging cable;
8.2.3 Now the phone will ask you for a pin to pair with the controller, imput pin 0000 and press OK;
8.2.4 You will get PLAYSTATION(3) Controller - Connected to impit device.
9. After the controller successfully connects with the phone use it to navigate through the menu for at least 30 seconds before disconnecting it.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!
DO NOT TURN OFF BLUETOOTH OR YOUR PHONE!
In Android 5.0 (mabe a bug or mabe just my phone) if you turn off the bluetooth or restart your phone the mouse and controller that are paired will disappear!

In order to disconnect the controller without losing the pairing go to Settings >Bluetooth and pres on the mane of the controller and a popup message will warn you that the connection will be terminated!

For the moment we have to use this way of pairing the PS3 Controller wit the phone every time bluetooth is turned off or phone restarts.

Please post the make and model of your phone here if this tutorial helped you.

Last edited:

Paulicat

Mar 12, 2013
I've been trying to duplicate what you did here on my note 3, I get to step 8.1.1 and when I disconnect from pc, the controller only blinks for 4-5 seconds and phone does not ask to pair.
I have the ds3 and motion joy drivers installed on the pc as you suggested.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
<EDIT>WOW, I kept trying and trying, and MUCH to my surprise it ACTUALLY CONNECTED AND WORKS! Thank YOU!! It works exactly as if I used the six axis app!</EDIT>
<edit2>Unfortunately I'm having a very difficult time duplicating the success. After I disconnected using the method you said I can't reconnect again...</edit2>

Last edited:

SpawnSiviu

Jan 19, 2010
Madrid
Folow 8.2.1, but before that press the reset button on the controller, and be sure your phones bluetooth is searching for devices!
Latest SixaxisController app works now on android 5.0!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2wayRadio

oldman20

Jan 18, 2014
Hà Nội
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Code:
So ... what do you need.
1. Your phone with Android 5.0; with the new 5.0 update the Sixaxis Controller app is obsolete and doesn't work anymore, but the sistem is able to detect the controller on it's own.
4. Bluetooth mouse; it might be posible to work with other bluetooth devices like bluetooth keyboard.
5. PC to connect the controller. No program needs to be installed on the PC, but it is recommended to have the DS3 and TapJoy drivers installe
Excuse, but with step 4, must using Bluetooth Keyboard/ Mouse? Anyone try with Bluetooth Speaker Mini?:confused:

Reactions: ToucheSpencer

CLaudioman2009

Sep 27, 2013
I am on android 6.0.1 in a note 2 phone and it detects the controller but asks for PIN... i think your method is weird but works, maybe some developer can make a xposed module to do the pin thing instead of that method. Lets hope some developer read this.

MPoo6d9.png

williambright80

Jan 17, 2017
Hy all! After a few days of searching with no luck and trying to connect a PS3 Controller to my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N9005) I finally managed to get them to work together!
So ... what do you need.
5. PC to connect the controller. No program needs to be installed on the PC, but it is recommended to have the DS3 and TapJoy drivers installed.

2.2 When connected go to Settings >Bluetooth >Paired Devices and unpair the mouse/keyboard and press the connect button on the mouse to erase the phone from it's memory;
4.1 After the phone restarts turn bluetooth ON and try pairing the controller using the 0000 pin. No luck, don't worry!
5.1 After the connection is successful turn OFF the mouse/keyboard, NOT THE PHONE BLUETOOTH.
8.1.1 Now the LED's blink and the phone asks you for a pin to pair with the controller;
8.2.1 If the LED's still blink for 3-4 seconds connect the controller bac to the PC;
8.2.2 Keep pressed the PlayStation button on your controller and remove the charging cable;
8.2.3 Now the phone will ask you for a pin to pair with the controller, imput pin 0000 and press OK;
9. After the controller successfully connects with the phone use it to navigate through the menu for at least 30 seconds before disconnecting it.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!
In Android 5.0 (mabe a bug or mabe just my phone) if you turn off the bluetooth or restart your phone the mouse and controller that are paired will disappear!

In order to disconnect the controller without losing the pairing go to Settings >Bluetooth and pres on the mane of the controller and a popup message will warn you that the connection will be terminated!

For the moment we have to use this way of pairing the PS3 Controller wit the phone every time bluetooth is turned off or phone restarts.

how do i use ps3 controller and sphero at the same time?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So ... what do you need.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!

Or just play your ps3....or, get an xperia z3.
    This is for those who don't have an Xperia Z3 but have another phone and a PS3 Controller!
    Or just install sixaxis app
    Sixaxis Controller app does not work in Android 5.0, as I said in the beginning of the post!
    Folow 8.2.1, but before that press the reset button on the controller, and be sure your phones bluetooth is searching for devices!
    Latest SixaxisController app works now on android 5.0!
    Code:
    So ... what do you need.
    5. PC to connect the controller. No program needs to be installed on the PC, but it is recommended to have the DS3 and TapJoy drivers installe
    Excuse, but with step 4, must using Bluetooth Keyboard/ Mouse? Anyone try with Bluetooth Speaker Mini?:confused: