• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Tutorial] Crossflash, Bypass OPID Mismatched Error

Search This thread

netmsm

Oct 3, 2010
Esfahan
Hi there ;)
Thanks to all other guys here who has made helpful development to tame this beautiful =)

LG has made things difficult in flashing custom and even stock roms by this new OPID thing! It prevents us from crossflashing but we have been able to use TWRP and change the system and some other partitions to have a different rom. We had to make some changes into OP partition using HxD editor.
But now, through this tutorial, we're able to flash any rom without the need to change OPID in OP partition. Also, there is no need to root or unlock boot-loader.
I was successful to do this on some G8 (LMG820UM) but I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY HARM TO YOUR PHONE!

By continuing to read the following instructions you are actually accepting the risk.

IMPORTANT!
first, MAKE A FULL BACKUP OF ALL PARTITIONS; and I mean it!!!
at least, for your sake, make a backup of "modemst1, modemst2, fsg, fsc, ftm" partitions, for emergency.

Requirements
QPST and Qualcomm USB Driver (get)
LGE SM8150 Firehose (get)
LGUP 1.16.0.3 (get)
LGUP_Common.dll (get)
UI_Config.lgl (get)
LG Mobile Driver 4.4.2 (get)

Preparation
1. Install QPST and Qualcomm USB Driver.
2. Install LGUP.
3. Find the folder named "model" in the installation directory of LGUP, then Create a folder named "common" in the "model" folder.
4. Move "LGUP_Common.dll" and "UI_Config.lgl" into "common" folder. Change the attribute of "UI_Config.lgl" to read only.
5. Install LG Mobile Driver 4.4.2.

Steps
A)
1. Open QFIL.
2. Change "Storage Type" to UFS.
3. Select "Flat Build".
4. Browse for "LGE SM8150 Firehose" and pick it.
5. Now, connect the phone to PC and boot into EDL mode.
6. Open "Select Port" and select the phone, press OK.
7. In "Tools" open the "Partition Manager".

B)
!!!BE CAREFUL TO DO EXACTLY AS THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY OR YOU WILL BRICK THE PHONE!!!
1. Make a backup of and erase these 7 partitions: FTM, Modem_A, Modem_B, SID_A, SID_B, OP_A, OP_B.
1.1. You have to left-click on a partition then right-click on it and select "Manage Partition Data".
1.2. In the pop-up window, you have 4 choices: I. Erase (to erase data on the partition), II. Read Data (to dump or back up the partition), III. Load Image (to restore the partition), IV. Close (to close the window).
1.3. First dump/back up the partition by choosing "Read Data" then Erase it.
2. Close the "Partition Manager" window.
3. Wait for 5 seconds then press Vol- and Power until it restart.
3.1. Immediately after rebooting, Release the Vol- and Power buttons and press Vol+ to get into Download Mode.
Note: Do not let the phone to begin to boot! If it begins to boot, it may regenerate the SID and FTM partitions data and so you need to redo the whole step B.

C)
1. Open LGUP.
2. Pick your favorite KDZ.
3. Select "PARTITION DL".
4. Press Start. And a pop-up window will appear. In this window you can select which partitions to be flashed.
5. Here, uncheck these partitions: SID_A and SID_B. It will make it able to bypass the OPID Mismatched Error.
6. If you are in Sprint or other platforms you will get the message whether to change the model or not. Of course you know what to do =)

after completing the process it will boot up in some minutes and before starting the customization it will do one restart. just be patient.

Last edited:

netmsm

Oct 3, 2010
Esfahan
Some pictures of flashing my LMG820UM, unlocked from Sprint, into OPEN_CA 20j. In normal mode you cannot flash SPR_US to OPEN_CA which is shown in the pictures. But using this thread instruction it allows to flash, even it asks to change the model from SPR_US to OPEN_CA :D
Until performing the instructions, it shows the "id: 2(SPR_US)" on the Download Mode screen, but after that it cannot recognize the phone model id and shows "id: 0()" :D
Have fun ^_^

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 974
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 904
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 1,175
  • lgup1.jpg
    lgup1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,283
  • lgup2.jpg
    lgup2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,386
  • lgup3.jpg
    lgup3.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,257
  • lgup4.jpg
    lgup4.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,204
  • lgup5.jpg
    lgup5.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,073
  • lgup6.jpg
    lgup6.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,049
  • lgup7.jpg
    lgup7.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,196
Last edited:

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Hey nice! It's great to have options. I'm currently using us Open OP on my Sprint device (of course totc changed). It's working fine and not sure of any reason to change.

Although, if we do get a11 firmware available, that will change things for sure.

Thanks, nice work!

Reactions: netmsm

Azs5165

Sep 13, 2021
Some pictures of flashing my LMG820UM, unlocked from Sprint, into OPEN_CA 20j. In normal mode you cannot flash SPR_US to OPEN_CA which is shown in the pictures. But using this thread instruction it allows to flash, even it asks to change the model from SPR_US to OPEN_CA :D
Until performing the instructions, it shows the "id: 2(SPR_US)" on the Download Mode screen, but after that it cannot recognize the phone model id and shows "id: 0()" :D
Have fun ^_^
Idk when i opened lgup it's only have 3 option refurbished, upgrade n fota update

cloud1250000

Jul 4, 2011
Ottawa
Have fun ^_^
What OPID does it get assigned once you boot the device? OPEN_CA?

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Just did this successfully, thanks OP. If yer only getting partial options on lgup, remember from the OP, you HAVE to change the UI file to be READ ONLY (do it in properties).

I didn't get the 'change model' pop up, but still worked, although device is still seen as 'um' not 'qm'. My serial # is missing (that's a simple edit in ftm), but the imei is there.

Definitely worked though, now have us op with april security patch.

Will take a few mins to get a root explorer to see what totc says... that should be interesting ;)

Reactions: netmsm

Azs5165

Sep 13, 2021
Just did this successfully, thanks OP. If yer only getting partial options on lgup, remember from the OP, you HAVE to change the UI file to be READ ONLY (do it in properties).

I didn't get the 'change model' pop up, but still worked, although device is still seen as 'um' not 'qm'. My serial # is missing (that's a simple edit in ftm), but the imei is there.

Definitely worked though, now have us op with april security patch.

Will take a few mins to get a root explorer to see what totc says... that should be interesting ;)
How to make it?srry i cant understand

netmsm

Oct 3, 2010
Esfahan
Idk when i opened lgup it's only have 3 option refurbished, upgrade n fota update
i got the same problem, just 3 options
How to make it?srry i cant understand
Follow preparation.
What OPID does it get assigned once you boot the device? OPEN_CA?
Actually it doesn't change OPID. By not flashing SID partitions we can bypass checking OPID and hence the error.
I checked it now it was OPEN_CA.
I had tried with my lmg850um9 sprint,i accidentally erase entire flash before but i successfull flash with other g8x em kdz but get opid missmatched
Follow the steps in part C.

Last edited:

cloud1250000

Jul 4, 2011
Ottawa
Actually it doesn't change OPID. By not flashing SID partitions we can bypass checking OPID and hence the error.
I checked it now it was OPEN_CA.

curious how the sprint v50 will react to this.. I`ll try this guide when korean A11 gets release.. I'll let you know..
Also.. if it doesn`t change OPID you would get OPID mismatched error on boot.. so.. :p

netmsm

Oct 3, 2010
Esfahan
yes but it has to generate new one with proper OPID no? when you load download mode now, does it still says id: 0? i doubt that
That's right it generates the original OPID in download mode.
It is probable that some or all data related to OPID are stored in Modemsts partitions to which the SID partition bridges the OPID check function, in boot process. All that we do is to destroy the bridge.

Top Liked Posts

Thanks netmsm, your method works fine, I have used it to install the unlocked US kdz on a T-mobile phone. Nothing gained yet, but the method will prove to be very useful if Android 11 comes on only one of QM, TM or UM, can cross flash as needed.
    Does anyone know if everything will work just fine if I were to cross flash the A11 Korean update to my US version LG G8? They still haven’t released the US A11 as far as I can find. Would this work or will there be something to worry about?
    No, not everything will work. The camera app on the kor rom is for the 3 rear lens version (only Kor has that). I've tried a few things to get that app to work with 2 lens version, or install the apk from us version, or modify configs... none of them worked.

The gcam ports work fine though. Also, could not get vowifi to work, it seems there are some basic system files missing for that and they won't install due to diff signature signing. But with just a few config mods you can get volte to work.

personally, I'm waiting until one of the us variant roms come out with a11.
    Thanks again netmsm for your help!
    how do you recover from a bad/partial crossflash ? because now its in a rapid bootloop and i cant use qfil to flash my backup files. i only have access to download and edl mode, but sahara error no matter what i try? is there another way to flash? i was going from sprint_US to G820UM20d_00_USC_US_OP_0511.kdz
    i already did it but still no luck, same screen.
    Just to say thank you and help others, the solution was to reinstall lg up.
    Thanks netmsm, your method works fine, I have used it to install the unlocked US kdz on a T-mobile phone. Nothing gained yet, but the method will prove to be very useful if Android 11 comes on only one of QM, TM or UM, can cross flash as needed.
    Hi there ;)
    Thanks to all other guys here who has made helpful development to tame this beautiful =)

LG has made things difficult in flashing custom and even stock roms by this new OPID thing! It prevents us from crossflashing but we have been able to use TWRP and change the system and some other partitions to have a different rom. We had to make some changes into OP partition using HxD editor.
    But now, through this tutorial, we're able to flash any rom without the need to change OPID in OP partition. Also, there is no need to root or unlock boot-loader.
    I was successful to do this on some G8 (LMG820UM) but I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY HARM TO YOUR PHONE!

By continuing to read the following instructions you are actually accepting the risk.

IMPORTANT!
    first, MAKE A FULL BACKUP OF ALL PARTITIONS; and I mean it!!!
    at least, for your sake, make a backup of "modemst1, modemst2, fsg, fsc, ftm" partitions, for emergency.

Requirements
    QPST and Qualcomm USB Driver (get)
    LGE SM8150 Firehose (get)
    LGUP 1.16.0.3 (get)
    LGUP_Common.dll (get)
    UI_Config.lgl (get)
    LG Mobile Driver 4.4.2 (get)

Preparation
    1. Install QPST and Qualcomm USB Driver.
    2. Install LGUP.
    3. Find the folder named "model" in the installation directory of LGUP, then Create a folder named "common" in the "model" folder.
    4. Move "LGUP_Common.dll" and "UI_Config.lgl" into "common" folder. Change the attribute of "UI_Config.lgl" to read only.
    5. Install LG Mobile Driver 4.4.2.

Steps
    A)
    1. Open QFIL.
    2. Change "Storage Type" to UFS.
    3. Select "Flat Build".
    4. Browse for "LGE SM8150 Firehose" and pick it.
    5. Now, connect the phone to PC and boot into EDL mode.
    6. Open "Select Port" and select the phone, press OK.
    7. In "Tools" open the "Partition Manager".

B)
    !!!BE CAREFUL TO DO EXACTLY AS THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY OR YOU WILL BRICK THE PHONE!!!
    1. Make a backup of and erase these 7 partitions: FTM, Modem_A, Modem_B, SID_A, SID_B, OP_A, OP_B.
    1.1. You have to left-click on a partition then right-click on it and select "Manage Partition Data".
    1.2. In the pop-up window, you have 4 choices: I. Erase (to erase data on the partition), II. Read Data (to dump or back up the partition), III. Load Image (to restore the partition), IV. Close (to close the window).
    1.3. First dump/back up the partition by choosing "Read Data" then Erase it.
    2. Close the "Partition Manager" window.
    3. Wait for 5 seconds then press Vol- and Power until it restart.
    3.1. Immediately after rebooting, Release the Vol- and Power buttons and press Vol+ to get into Download Mode.
    Note: Do not let the phone to begin to boot! If it begins to boot, it may regenerate the SID and FTM partitions data and so you need to redo the whole step B.

C)
    1. Open LGUP.
    2. Pick your favorite KDZ.
    3. Select "PARTITION DL".
    4. Press Start. And a pop-up window will appear. In this window you can select which partitions to be flashed.
    5. Here, uncheck these partitions: SID_A and SID_B. It will make it able to bypass the OPID Mismatched Error.
    6. If you are in Sprint or other platforms you will get the message whether to change the model or not. Of course you know what to do =)

after completing the process it will boot up in some minutes and before starting the customization it will do one restart. just be patient.
    Hey good for you, so the Open a11 must be the Kor version right? Either way, could u do a big favor and try to get to recovery? Of course don't erase anything, but just verify you can get to the recovery screen?

thnx!

So, we just got this sorted. Thanks to SGMarkus as he mentioned it's the ftm partition that controls recovery access and fastboot access. So, with the newly flashed kdz, as it is, you can't even get to fasboot although u flashed the eng abl to it.

But! Restore your old ftm, after flashing, and then you'll get access to both recovery and ability to get to fastboot after flashing eng abl.

cheers!
    Have fun ^_^
    I would like to know the following:
    (1) first, MAKE A FULL BACKUP OF ALL PARTITIONS; and I mean it!!! How, exactly, does one make this full backup? How does it get restored if needed?
    (2) 1. Make a backup of and erase these 5 partitions: FTM, Modem_A, Modem_B, SID_A, SID_B, OP_A, OP_B. What does this mean, exactly? What tool is being used for this?
    (3)If you are in Spring or other platforms you will get the message whether to change the model or not. Of course you know what to do =). I do not know what to do. It is not helpful to write such a vague, obtuse instruction.

I don't speak for netmsm, and he's more than capable of doing that himself.

But, for myself, I just wanted to say I think your comments are very unfair. 1st) The guide does say exactly how to back up those partitions, you, obviously, just don't recognize that, and probably thus have no idea what the utilities mentioned in the guide do. (hint: see where qualcomm and qfil are mentioned - just before 'make a backup'.

2nd) If u don't understand something in the guide, read the comments others have made, because it's possible someone else has already asked that question. Re the 'Of course u know what to do', you'll find others have said they got that pop-up, and others didn't. From that u can deduce, it's not **critical**. And, if anything, u realize it's kind of a joke... as in 'who want's a sprint phone anyway?' Get it?

There's no reason to be disparaging because u can't follow a guide without having to do any thinking at all. Sometimes, a guide can be 'over our head'. I.E. u just don't have enough experience in this area. Remember, a guide writer faces a dilemma; how to get the information across, succinctly, without becoming too verbose. Too verbose and the guide becomes a book, and most of us that write guides have no desire to spend the time it takes to write a book.

If u don't understand, ask questions, but don't be disparaging. We should all be thankful netmsm even bothered to take the time to write this!

cheers
    If u don't understand, ask questions, but don't be disparaging. We should all be thankful netmsm even bothered to take the time to write this!
    Thanks friend 🙏👍
    I've benefited from XDA's guides, tools, etc. and I've been always thankful for all their benevolence. I feel obliged to share what I know with others here. This is the manner I was taught in this forum.