• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Tutorial] [Discontinued] How to restore stock ROM and S-On after AlphaRevX S-Off

Search This thread

chiekurz

Oct 31, 2007
Riga
I am sorry to announce, but I am pulling this tutorial. Tutorial is not meant for branded phones and recently I am getting few of those asking for help!
Sorry unbranded device owners, but my intention is to have brick free world!

Have a nice day! And safe flashing.

P.s. FYI, new boot loader can be unlocked using htcdev.com and locked again using the same.

/Edzz

Attachments

• hboot_0.98.0000.zip
    261 KB · Views: 12,152
Last edited:

jorgen2009

Feb 23, 2011
Why not do it the easy way since you're already S-OFF?

1. Take the ENG HBOOT found here and put the PG88IMG.zip in the root of your SD card
  2. Boot into the bootloader (Volume Down + POWER)
  3. Go into FASTBOOT mode
  4. The bootloader will automagically detect your new HBOOT and install it
  5. After rebooting your phone you can install any RUU you want. That will bring HBOOT back to the installed original

Make sure you make a good backup up front and be carefull what RUU to flash. The newer ones will overwrite HBOOT with version 0.98.0002, which, up to this date, can't be put to S-OFF yet by Alpharevx. I recommand you install the oldest RUU version you can find. A list of original ROMS can be found here

Good luck!

Last edited:

chiekurz

Oct 31, 2007
Riga
@nodeffect

Feel free.

@jorgen2009

such approach won't work with Alpharev hboot. They appear to have kinda locked it by making it appear ar 6.x Hboot version. That means, that bootloader will bypass upgrade. Been there, tried that, didn't work :(

jorgen2009

Feb 23, 2011
@nodeffect

Feel free.

@jorgen2009

such approach won't work with Alpharev hboot. They appear to have kinda locked it by making it appear ar 6.x Hboot version. That means, that bootloader will bypass upgrade. Been there, tried that, didn't work :(

The original ENG HBOOT didn't work if i recall correctly. Redownload the ENG-HBOOT and you'll notice the version has changed to a number higher than Alpharev's. It DOES work now, in fact, my phone is S-ON again as we speak:)

.sh4d0w.

May 1, 2011
Bucuresti

1. Take the ENG HBOOT found here and put the PG88IMG.zip in the root of your SD card
  3. Go into FASTBOOT mode
  5. After rebooting your phone you can install any RUU you want. That will bring HBOOT back to the installed original

Make sure you make a good backup up front and be carefull what RUU to flash. The newer ones will overwrite HBOOT with version 0.98.0002, which, up to this date, can't be put to S-OFF yet by Alpharevx. I recommand you install the oldest RUU version you can find. A list of original ROMS can be found here

Good luck!

So i downloaded 2 files:
The PG88IMG.zip and eng_hboot
what do i put on my sd card, only PG88IMG.zip or both of them?

Reactions: sendietera

.sh4d0w.

May 1, 2011
Bucuresti
So what is the use of Eng S-Off.rar? :D

And another question the RUU is an .exe?

And is this old enough RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.28.401.1_Radio_20.28b.30.0805U_38.03.02.11_M_release_177977_signed ?

Thanks.

LE: i flashed the pg88img.zip and i am still Alpharevx hboot 6.xxxxx etc :) (but the update was successful)
Maybe... if i flash a RUU? I just wanted to get eng s-off.. don't want to get s-on now :D

Last edited:
Reactions: sendietera

jorgen2009

Feb 23, 2011
So what is the use of Eng S-Off.rar? :D[/QUOTE
Look at this thread
And another question the RUU is an .exe?
yes, it's direct from HTC and unfortunately can only be run from within Windows
And is this old enough RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.28.401.1_Radio_20.28b.30.0805U_38.03.02.11_M_release_177977_signed ?
yes, that comes with the HBOOT 0.98.0000
your welcome
LE: i flashed the pg88img.zip and i am still Alpharevx hboot 6.xxxxx etc :) (but the update was successful)
Maybe... if i flash a RUU? I just wanted to get eng s-off.. don't want to get s-on now :D
just check again in fastboot, ENG HBOOT version has changed to 6.98.2000 iirc. After running the RUU it should be 0.98.0000 again as ENG HBOOT can be overwritten in contrast to the AlphaRevX HBOOT. If you only want ENG HBOOT don't flash the RUU obviously

Last edited:

heavyhms

May 17, 2009
Modena
Samsung Galaxy S21
Ok i just checked.
I have like this
--- AlphaRev ---
SAGA PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT-6.98.1002
RADIO-3805.06.02.03_M
eMMC-boot
Mar 10 2011, 14:58:38

So nothing changed.... and i did the update like... 5 times :D
It asks vol + to install update
And after it's finished
Power down to reboot.
Maybe i got the wrong file? The PG88IMG.zip attached here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1113820

You can try with this modified ENG Hboot for devices with AlpharevX
Please, report if works ;)

Last edited:

.sh4d0w.

May 1, 2011
Bucuresti
BTW...... the original eng hboot is 1 mb and this modified one is only 260 kb ???
Maybe that's why it doesn't work.
In winrar i have like this
Name__________________Size________Packed
engHBOOToverARX.img___1.048.576____262.273

nodeffect

Mar 7, 2011
Added your guide to my thread. Thanks for this one, it's very useful.

p.s. you got a typo for the title of this thread. "Tutorial", not totutial... please correct it, thanks ;)

Skanob

Feb 19, 2011
Perth
(Windows only? Not sure if RUU works on other platforms)
With thanks to user Murchelago for providing adb method to restore stock boot and HTC for providing RUU's here is step by step, how to return to stock after Alpharevx S-Off.

Prerequisites:
Debugging mode on
Root access
Hboot.img (attached)
RUU for stock restore. Can be downloaded here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1002506

How to:
1. Put the hboot.img you want to flash in the root of the sdcard.
2. In cmd run the following commands (after each command press enter):
adb devices
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/backup.img
dd if=/sdcard/hboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
reboot bootloader
3. RUN Downloaded RUU
4. You are on stock again!

After running ADB commands and rebooting into bootloader, you will get security warning. This is normal, just continue with flashing RUU.

Worked for me perfectly 3 times without any issues. However issues might occur and I can not take any responsibility for them. Use this tutorial on your own responsibility

I can confirm that you CANNOT just RUU a device. As the name implies, ROM Update Utility.

I followed everything on the first page and can confirm that I've successfully reverted back to HBOOT 0.98.0000.

AFAIK my phone was flashed with the hTC_Asia_WWE_1.31.707.2 on stock.

I tried to RUU using the oldest firmware that I can find, HTC_Europe_1.28.401.1. But it gave me the error 131 (AFAIK) customer ID error. About language and stuffs. Model ID, etc.

So I tried to RUU with the oldest hTC_Asia_WWE_1.31.707.2 (the oldest that I can find that is an ASIA one.). Then it gave me the error 140 (bootloader error). The readme doesn't have any information on this one, even on the net for HTC Saga.

So I tried to RUU with the "LATEST" hTC_Asia_WWE_1.48.707.1 that I found and everything works well. I really am not quite sure why I was not able to "downgrade", just "upgrade".

AFAIK i just updated my radio to the latest 20.28I.30.085AU_3805.06.02.03_M found on the hTC_Asia_WWE_1.48.707.1 when I was S-OFFed. It may have something to do with it.

Just an additional info. I'm now S-ON and on-stock hTC_Asia_WWE_1.48.707.1_20.28I.30.085AU_3805.06.02.03_M

Reactions: tdngan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am sorry to announce, but I am pulling this tutorial. Tutorial is not meant for branded phones and recently I am getting few of those asking for help!
    Sorry unbranded device owners, but my intention is to have brick free world!

Have a nice day! And safe flashing.

P.s. FYI, new boot loader can be unlocked using htcdev.com and locked again using the same.

/Edzz

3. Go into FASTBOOT mode

Good luck!
    Unroot and S-ON Successful

This method worked for me.

I had HTC Desire 2.3.3 + 2.1 Sense
    Used Revolutionary method to root and s-off.

Bookmark this Index, much useful

Most probably you have HBOOT version 6.98.2000, you need to downgrade HBOOT before you can proceed.
    [MISC] ENG HBOOT 0.98.2000
    Put the zip in SD Card. Reboot in bootloader it will update. Reboot. Now check you should have HBOOT 0.98.2000

Time to use RUU now. Download a stock ROM which is closest to your region
    [ROM] Shipped DESIRE S ROMs
    I downloaded this

Now check the software version, if you have 1.47.720.1 You can directly run this .exe on windows and things will work.
    Else you need to change software version first. (I did not try the below, it worked directly for me)

If the RUU says that your current version is higher and cannot proceed, you should have to flash a custom recovery (download and extract this zip file) flash extracted recovery.img from fastboot:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery {path to file}/recovery.img

, reboot to recovery, get root access through adb shell and use the misc_version from this thread (point 1) to change your version to 1.47.720.1. Then the RUU will work.

And remember - do not pull the battery in any case!

You should have a Phone in Factory Condition! :D

Thanks to amidabuddha
    I didn't understand if you re-flashed completely the ROM or not, in order to have it S-ON again and with hboot 0.98.0000.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA Premium App

Actually first when I was S-Off from revolutionary and hboot 6.98.0002
    I first ran "RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.28.401.1_Radio_20.28b.30.080 5U_38.03.02.11_M_release" to debrand my phone from "3" startup logos etc

then I put the PG88IMG.zip from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=17213055&postcount=49 in root SD card
    turned off phone
    Held Volume down and power and fastboot opened automatically the PG88IMG.zip and it said something like "press volume up update"
    then it updated ok

Then I rebooted phone few times I think,
    then I was hboot 6.98.2000 !

then put phone in HTC sync mode and ran RUU exe from desktop in Windows 7 it did something at 22% and after it finished it showed some error 131 and phone rebooted I checked and was on S-on and 0.98.0000 !!

I think running RUU_Saga_HTC_Europe_1.28.401.1_Radio_20.28b.30.080 5U_38.03.02.11_M_release after it is become 6.98.2000 fixes it to become 0.98.0000 and S-On

After that I just did a factory reset to test all and it is ok now

I did not run adb method because I was tooo scared of bricking after reading posts here :eek:

hope it helps?
    So i downloaded 2 files:
    The PG88IMG.zip and eng_hboot
    what do i put on my sd card, only PG88IMG.zip or both of them?

Only the PG88IMG.zip, don't rename or extract it or it won't work, just put the file in the root of your SD card