• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Tutorial for root Defy fw. 2.51.1

Search This thread

zephyrteam

Jan 2, 2011
This tutorial is a step-by-step guide valid for fw. JRDNEM 2.51 , JRDNEM 2.51.1 and newest JRDNEM 2.59.0

To make the root is very important to have installed the drivers for you're Defy! You can be found it here -> www motorola com staticfiles Support Experiences Global_Drivers/USB_Drivers_bit_4.9.0.exe and here or h77p:// motofan.ru /files/soft/USB_Drivers_bit_4.9.0.rar -> https:// rsddownload motorola com /download/Motorola_Software_Update.exe .

Prepare the system:
The step 1 to 5 is needed just only the phone is not recognized by windows.
1.Install driver in windows if you don't have installed.
2.After installation restart windows and shutdown the phone.
3.Keep volume up button pressed and start phone, you appear a debug screen with this words ( Bootloader 09.xx - Battery OK - OK to Program - Connect USB data cable ).
4.When windows is started, connect phone with you're USB cable and now windows automatically install driver for it.
5.When the installation it's complete restart windows.
6.Download SuperOneclick 2.1 here -> www megaupload com /?d = 0GGUEBUI this software needs Microsoft .NET Framework version 2.0.
You can get it from http:// www microsoft com /downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5

Root the Defy:
7.Connect phone to usb cable, now windows find you're phone.
8.Now you are going to Defy Settings / Application / Development and turn off "USB Debug"
9.Open the SuperOneClick as Administrator (right click Run as ..).
10. Press Root! (See attached image qq32c3.jpg)
11.When appear on the screen "Waiting for device..." turn on USB Debug in the phone, and wait.
12.If everything it's ok, you appear a small banner "Device is rooted", and Now Restart the Defy.

Good Rooting At All!!!:D

News: For UNROOT follow this method on the post http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=955061

Last edited:

rogier666

Jan 27, 2011
androidblog.site666.info
3.Start phone and press vol, you appear a debug screen.

Keep volume UP button pressed and start phone (volume up launches debug, volume down launches recovery mode).

4.When windows is started, connect phone with you're USB cable and now windows automatically install driver for it.

I didn't see anything happening, but my phone got rooted anyway.

6.Download SuperOneclick 2.1 here -> www megaupload com /?d = 0GGUEBUI

SuperOneClick needs Microsoft .NET Framework. The latest version is v4, but SuperOneClick wouldn't run with it.

I managed to run SuperOneClick with .NET version 2.0. You can get it from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5

Last edited:

morr22066

Feb 19, 2011
Texas
SuperOneClick 2.1 worked when Z4Root would not

The SuperOneClick 2.1 method worked well.

I first tried the "noob guide" to root the defy with Z4Root. But no matter what I did it just would not work, I even went so far as to restore my Defy to factory settings and never could get it to work.

This was much easier than I expected and I have not had any problems with my Defy so far.

Next I downloaded the System Recovery App found here at XDA and it also ran smoothly without any problems and I backed up a copy to my SD Card.

Then I downloaded SetVsel from the Market for the Defy to overclock it, it comes with 3 preset Vsel settings for 300, 600 and 800. I kept the first two at 33 / 300 and 48 / 600 then increased the 3rd preset to a 52 / 1000 and the CPU now hits 1000MHz. There is a noticible boost in performance plus battery life is at least as good as it was before. I also ran the stability test just to see if there were any issues and it went well.

Then I downloaded Uninstaller for Root from the market and began deleting the preinstalled bloatware from T-Mobile one at a time and so far I'm not having any problems.

And then Titanium Backup just to be safe. The funny thing is that "after" all of this, now Z4Root works lol.

On the Quadrant Standard benchmark test I am averaging between 1000 and 1209 depending on what is running. And on the speed test I average around 9350 kbps download and 1110 kbps upload speeds, of course it depends on the time of day.

Overall, I have noticed much better performance and it appears to be stable. Thanks for the tutorial, between this and the YouTube walk through for SuperOneClick 2.1 it all went smoothly. :D

Last edited:

Tevac

Jan 20, 2011
Frankfurt
Dont know if the way via the debug screen is really needed, but if it works for all, this is very helpful.

I did the "simple" superoneclick (without changing USB-debugging inbetween) and it also got root afterwards.

I had the original 2.1 (German version), which was rooted before with SuperoneClick for 2.1. plus Tenfars recovery installed.

After the OTA Update to 2.51.1. the rooting was just one click.
I only needed to install busybox again to make it work.

Dont know, if I just was lucky ...

zephyrteam

Jan 2, 2011
The way with the debug screen is needed just only the phone is not recognized by windows! ;-)
A lot of people have so much problem for the recognized session, just this is the best way for all android phone! ;)

fruktflugan

Feb 17, 2011
Finished rooting, but couldn't do it from any of my 2 windows 7 computers so I did it from an old windows XP computah and it worked like a charm.

I love it! :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This tutorial is a step-by-step guide valid for fw. JRDNEM 2.51 , JRDNEM 2.51.1 and newest JRDNEM 2.59.0

To make the root is very important to have installed the drivers for you're Defy! You can be found it here -> www motorola com staticfiles Support Experiences Global_Drivers/USB_Drivers_bit_4.9.0.exe and here or h77p:// motofan.ru /files/soft/USB_Drivers_bit_4.9.0.rar -> https:// rsddownload motorola com /download/Motorola_Software_Update.exe .

Prepare the system:
    The step 1 to 5 is needed just only the phone is not recognized by windows.
    1.Install driver in windows if you don't have installed.
    2.After installation restart windows and shutdown the phone.
    3.Keep volume up button pressed and start phone, you appear a debug screen with this words ( Bootloader 09.xx - Battery OK - OK to Program - Connect USB data cable ).
    5.When the installation it's complete restart windows.
    6.Download SuperOneclick 2.1 here -> www megaupload com /?d = 0GGUEBUI this software needs Microsoft .NET Framework version 2.0.
    You can get it from http:// www microsoft com /downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5

Root the Defy:
    7.Connect phone to usb cable, now windows find you're phone.
    8.Now you are going to Defy Settings / Application / Development and turn off "USB Debug"
    9.Open the SuperOneClick as Administrator (right click Run as ..).
    10. Press Root! (See attached image qq32c3.jpg)
    11.When appear on the screen "Waiting for device..." turn on USB Debug in the phone, and wait.
    12.If everything it's ok, you appear a small banner "Device is rooted", and Now Restart the Defy.

Good Rooting At All!!!:D

News: For UNROOT follow this method on the post http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=955061
    Thank YOU!!!!

:)...thank you so much!!! I've literally spent hours trying to figure out how to root my defy and I wasn't expecting this to work but it has so major props to you :D
    VICTORY!

I have the attention span of a fruit fly, which makes it almost impossible for me to follow instructions, but this I could manage. My Defy is rooted! Thanx!

I did it using Windows 7, 64bit with .NET Framework 4.0 running.

For those who get stuck at "waiting for device" in SuperOneClick: do not forget to to turn USB debugging ON again. Said attention span withheld me from doing that for a while.

Thanx again!
    Build number of my phone:- Orange UK Froyo 2.2.2

You need Gingerbreak for that. Never mind the name, it also roots Froyo.
    Hi all,

Can anyone help me? I'm getting the following error when I click on root.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the path specified
    at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
    at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
    at SuperOneClick.AdbClient.ADBInterface.runCommand(String arguments)
    at SuperOneClick.Form1.runOperationUI(ADBInterface adbInterface, String description, String arguments)
    at SuperOneClick.Form1.btnRoot_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3615 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    SuperOneClick
    Assembly Version: 1.8.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.8.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Owner/LOCALS~1/Temp/7zO7E.tmp/SuperOneClick.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3614 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Management
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box

TIA.

Looks like you are running SuperOneClick.exe outside of its folder that contains all of the required/associated files.

Check you are running it from the location that includes all of these files.

adb.exe
    AdbWinApi.dll
    AdbWinUsbApi.dll
    busybox
    rageagainstthecage
    sqlite3
    su
    SuperOneClick.exe
    superuser.apk